Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC and BIG10 teams will not be happy when the 12 playoff teams are selected.
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,451

SEC and BIG10 teams will not be happy when the 12 playoff teams are selected.

May 6, 2024, 5:31 PM

Many of us think conference consolidation will allow some conferences to win it all. Indeed with money that is likely … and I too love money … but many teams will be unhappy.

BIG10 … pick four … Michigan, Ohio State, Southern California, Oregon, Washington … B4 even thinking about Penn State or Iowa …

SEC … pick four … Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Alabama, Georgia … B4 even thinking of Tennessee, Mississippi, Texas A&M …

So what does all this mean? In the long run the playoffs will include 16 teams and we can attribute that expansion by 4 in large part to the teams jamming the SEC and BIG10 without realizing that they could not all fit n the playoffs.

No conclusions … just a point … filling time. How many days until kickoff?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC and BIG10 teams will not be happy when the 12 playoff teams are selected.

May 6, 2024, 6:05 PM

Expanded playoffs is ruining every sport. IMO it cheapens being a “champion.” Champion now just means who gets hot at the right time.

12 is already too much but before long it will be 20+ teams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC and BIG10 teams will not be happy when the 12 playoff teams are selected.

May 6, 2024, 6:18 PM

DASDM, I agree with you.....too many. I quite the NCAA basketball tournament many years ago. Way too boring with everyone in it including their brothers, first, second, third, fourth cousins, nephews, half-brothers, current and past neighbors with the neighbors they know but you don't. Don't want any part of it. All these teams cheapens the playoffs.

May 6, 2024, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC and BIG10 teams will not be happy when the 12 playoff teams are selected. ]

12 isn't too many when you have 133 teams.

8 is the perfect number for football, but they skipped

May 7, 2024, 6:31 AM

right over that. 3 rounds and done!

May 7, 2024, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC and BIG10 teams will not be happy when the 12 playoff teams are selected. ]

It is, if they specific that a certain number (in excess of the conf champion) have to receive a bid from a certain conference…..in which they are finalizing.

May 7, 2024, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC and BIG10 teams will not be happy when the 12 playoff teams are selected. ]

If there are 133 teams, will the gamecocks get a chance?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Expansion introduces far too many variables...

May 7, 2024, 5:00 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC and BIG10 teams will not be happy when the 12 playoff teams are selected. ]

that are not measures of performance but more akin to random occurrences therefore decreasing the odds of the best team being the last
1 standing at the end of the CFP, may as well be referred to as a tournament w/ 12. Expansion seeds more expansion-

Re: Expansion introduces far too many variables...

May 7, 2024, 8:01 AM

It’s always been a four team invitational tournament put on by the third party College Football Playoff.

Now it is a 12 team and soon even more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not 9,8,7...

May 7, 2024, 5:16 PM

Seriously, the CFP has always been just 4 teams since it's inception? Writing that down, thanks for dropping that knowledge. 4 teams...all football teams right?

May 6, 2024, 6:57 PM

The people who call the shots in CFB have "sold their collective souls" for $$$$$$.

Do they care about the principles; I believe you are hitting on? No.

A playoff means, "more money that be charged to telecast that game and advertise during those games"!

All that said, "I don't know if it's going to be bad"!

Yes, the team that's playing the best at the end still gets a shot. Many years, there was a team out there with maybe a loss, "that was perhaps the best team"! But, we never got to find out.

Now we will.

The UCF's who have fantastic seasons, won't get to claim a mythical National Championship like they do in H.S. football.

A Clemson that's undefeated in the ACC does not get "POLITICS" out the picture due to SEC-PN talking about "the eye test"! So, I like it.

Ramifications coming; you bet. But, could also be good as well.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2024, 6:26 AM

I agree that expansion does help with the politics part IF it were done right. You don’t need 12 though, and it will still be political. Just look at the big and $EC getting a designated number of teams as a perfect example.

May 6, 2024, 7:11 PM

A couple of thoughts from all of this. First, scheduling will take care of one conference having multiple Playoff teams because they will eb beating up each other. Second, if you are a basketball fan, there is nothing better that the NCAA tournament that gives us Cinderella teams almost every year. If there were not 68 teams, we would not have teams like Furman, Wofford, Florida Atlantic, Fairleigh Dickinson or Sister Jean and Loyola.

May 7, 2024, 7:31 AM

With the players now being paid, I don't care if they play 25 games a year. I used to say more than 13 games is not in the players best interest, but now I don't really care. I just hope Clemson is in the mix to keep it interesting.
Go Tigers!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

But playing that many games would make it hard to keep up academically

May 7, 2024, 8:57 AM

LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2024, 9:00 AM

I don't see what anybody lost in your scenario. Everybody got more money and they are mathematically more likely to end up in the playoff than before.

When the playoff goes to 16 teams...

May 7, 2024, 9:03 AM

.... the realignment will have changed so that only teams in the B1G and SEC are eligible.

This year with 12 teams, the B1G and SEC will get 9 teams in (unless ND goes 11-1 or 12-0).

5 conference champs. (That included the SEC and B1G, so that is two spots.)

7 at large. SEC and B1G will get all 7 of those spots.

Re: When the playoff goes to 16 teams...

May 7, 2024, 9:12 AM

Exactly. and let's not kid ourselves, the SEC will get the majority of those 7. Anyone who has ever looked at the rankings can tell you that.

May 8, 2024, 7:10 AM

Why should you care...everyone on this site is having a cow for us to join them? Then everyone would have something else to itch about!

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,451
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic