Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Operating Budget for each Sweet 16 Team
Tiger Boards - Clemson Basketball
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,201

Operating Budget for each Sweet 16 Team

Mar 28, 2024, 9:00 AM

Interesting to say the least. This does not include NIL.

UPDATE: Welp. Can’t delete this now… the other post about this wasn’t on the page when I posted this one.

https://x.com/EnthusiAdams/status/1772185295858860046?s=20

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Operating Budget for each Sweet 16 Team

Mar 28, 2024, 9:36 AM

Once again, the schools cannot pay students. It’s endorsement deals by a THIRD party. The NIL collective makes deals on the students behalf with companies. The University CANNOT have any say so in NIL deals. The University can only setup a meeting with an NIL collective off campus.

Mar 28, 2024, 9:40 AM

When you hear a student athlete asking for $5 mil in NIL money, they have to get a sponsorship deal worth that much. Yes, Texas and others have tampered with collectives and gotten deals done for kids through the collective. It’s not supposed to happen. There’s not some huge university NIL bank account they write checks from.

Collectives also accept donations to build a general fund (think IPTAY) and can directly make payments from that. Unlike IPTAY, these monies have nothing to do with the school.

Message was edited by: OneJedi®

Mar 28, 2024, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Operating Budget for each Sweet 16 Team ]

Um… I’m confused on what you’re trying to get at? I was just making a statement that this did not include NIL so people wouldn’t ask if it did.

I wish people would quit believing nonsense

Mar 28, 2024, 9:44 AM

Clemson publishes its budgets and operating expenses were nearly double that in 22-23.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wish people would quit believing nonsense

Mar 28, 2024, 10:04 AM

This is just for the basketball program…

Re: I wish people would quit believing nonsense

Mar 28, 2024, 11:54 AM

Yes, Clemson publishes their comprehensive budget and it specifically denotes Basketball revenue and expenditures. They spend $15+ million last year. They spent $15.6 million last year. I know that isn’t in line with the persistent bs echoed on this site endlessly but its reality.

https://media.clemson.edu/finance/controller/annualreports/fy23-acfr.pdf

TigerNick76®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And more importantly - what was the RETURN on this $15Milly spend for

Mar 28, 2024, 5:52 PM

Clemson basketball . . . . the BOTTOM LINE net ? ? ?

And if it was a huge surplus - looky at what we got for that spend - helping out the other teams - makes mediocrity taste a little better.

And if a huge negative - why are we settling for mediocre performance, at best - so that we can just lose money ? And where is this shortfall being made up - hmmmmm, I wonder where ?

Maybe somewhere with dynamic leadership, vision, and engagement ? Not sure . . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Mar 28, 2024, 9:59 AM

NIL is not an operating budget item and never will be for state funded schools in South Carolina and probably all other states.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Such a load of bs

Mar 28, 2024, 10:30 AM

Clemson spent $64 million on LJ renovations in 2016 and is spending another $40 million.

"But those are capital expenses!" you say.

Look, how do you spend $20 million a year on basketball operating budget? It's a few coaches and scholarships. What do people want the administration to do? Shoot money guns into the stands at all the games and gold plate all the kids' jerseys? We're looking at a bookkeeping discrepancy here.

Bottom line is that Brad is one of the best paid coaches around. He's in line for $3 million next year, and he's probably getting a raise. Plus, he just handpicked two assistants, and Clemson is pouring tens of millions into facilities. Investment is more than enough.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Such a load of bs

Mar 28, 2024, 12:24 PM

Well we spent $15.6 million last year not counting anything for capital expenditure so the numbers aren’t remotely right.

https://media.clemson.edu/finance/controller/annualreports/fy23-acfr.pdf

That's what I'm saying

Mar 28, 2024, 12:59 PM

This dude Mark Adams is full of it.

Re: That's what I'm saying

Mar 28, 2024, 4:46 PM

I've been fighting this fight on here for years. People pull numbers from rando websites and come on here crying that the sky is falling and never verify anything. When Spurrier was at SCar and beating Dabo, people would pull budget numbers that showed SCar making double what we were - back then - and act like we were never going to win another game. Of course, they never bothered to look and see that SCar claims all the Gamecock Club donations in their gross revenues (at least at that time). Clemson does not treat Iptay money the same way. Iptay money only appears on the Clemson ledger when it actually pays for something - like scholarships. No one, on any of the websites, is actually pulling financials and making apples to apples to comparisons. That includes the Knight Commission data which is both voluntary and non-standardized. It's absurd for anyone to claim to know what Duke spends on basketball. It's a guess at best.

Re: That's what I'm saying

Mar 28, 2024, 4:51 PM

Did you get the sense that I was crying the sky was falling on this post? I just genuinely thought it was interesting.

I appreciate the link you posted earlier that showed the operating budget; I think maybe this guy on Twitter was looking at revenue and then thought it was budget.

Nah he pulled the data from elsewhere

Mar 28, 2024, 5:37 PM

Says that he used the last year where data was available for all 16 schools at US Department of Education, which according to another guy on the twitter thread is 2021.

Pretty lazy for a self-proclaimed "expert basketball analyst."

Agreed

Mar 28, 2024, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: That's what I'm saying ]

The dude Adams is lazy. We're getting better reporting from posters here on tnet.

Mar 28, 2024, 6:25 PM

I say Brownell is doing a fantastic job. Look at what Duke and North Carolina spend. Not sure where we stack up against the rest of the ACC but I can bet it’s not top 4.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,201
Tiger Boards - Clemson Basketball
add New Topic