Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you think our players really tie their own ties?
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 956

Do you think our players really tie their own ties?

May 20, 2024, 9:02 AM

So I was at a wedding on Saturday absolutely crushing it as a wedding date until we were on the dance floor and my girl grabbed my tie and tried to pull me closer. The tie came off and everyone started laughing that I was wearing a clip-on. I don’t get the hate for clip-ons. Are they really that bad?

It got me to thinking. How many players on the football team are wearing clip-ons versus manual assembly ties in their pictures on the roster website? There’s no way all of those guys can tie their own ties. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have a designated tie tire show up on picture day to help out.

I’d also bet a lot of money if I had it that the more players on a team that can tie their own ties lose twice as much as teams that lean heavily on clip-ons for picture day.

https://clemsontigers.com/sports/football/roster/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you think our players really tie their own ties?

May 20, 2024, 9:06 AM

Tie tying is a lost art as is wearing a tie. The only tie most of the younger generation knows is how to tie one on. Like, man, I tied a goodun on last night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2024, 9:10 AM

what ties?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2024, 9:17 AM

The reason I’m inclined to believe you is that the tie selection in the big & tall section is pretty limited. It takes a tremendous amount of fabric to craft a long enough tie for a double Windsor knot around the neck of somebody like Peter Woods. The utility of a clip-on option becomes increasingly desirable among populations of giants…

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Windsor knot is not needed. I think the knot you need is called a

May 20, 2024, 9:28 AM

would use is a four-in-hand. Of course with ties and suits and coats that they go with…..you would need a pair of “real” shoes. NIKE and UNDER ARMOR and ADDIAS don’t get it!!!

No straight male over the age of 18 wears a clip-on!***

May 20, 2024, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you think our players really tie their own ties? ]

May 20, 2024, 9:23 AM

I have heard that is a factor why the Texas Longhorns are on the rise. Ties. You would think these guys would be confident, but a lot of them take pride in their wardrobes. Tbe fie because an issue. In Texas they wear the Bolo Tie. Classy yet simple to set up with a tuxedo or whatever you choose. I am glad you brought that issue up Chad.

May 20, 2024, 9:45 AM

Where that typo was should state, "The tie becomes an issue." I am still using my old Commodore 64 computer and the keys are a little tricky.

May 20, 2024, 9:31 AM

Yes. Clip-on ties are that bad. I stopped wearing them at 12. It’s a double Windsor knot or nothing at all for me. Wait, I was a bag boy at Community Cash in the 80’s and usually had to wear one of the clip on ties of shame reserved for guys that forgot to bring a tie. I lost one in a bag of groceries once carrying a single large paper bag to an old ladies car. She got an unexpected tip of an ugly clip on tie.

So, man up and go buy a few nice silk ties. Watch videos on YouTube and learn how to tie them. You won’t regret it.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2024, 9:36 AM

Funny note, as soon as I get home from dating my wife or church I cannot wait to strip that necktie off. However, nothing quite looks as finished as a properly tied tie.

Being the bag boy at Community Cash (taken over by IGA) I was 16 when I last was forced to wear a clip on tie.

May 20, 2024, 9:48 AM

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx29oeg61Jaj24Q-JC6SHfkv7UG-gJLdcB?si=1pEf_yqjoDGk6ixd

May 20, 2024, 9:35 AM

On a side note, do you think wearing tie with jeans no jacket to Applebees is not enough, or is a jacket needed? I am talking about with a date and not with my softball team.

May 20, 2024, 9:40 AM

Almost anything goes on date night. I might mix it up and wear a designer v neck tee shirt with a suit jacket and “dress hat” (newspaper boy hat or new Vans cap) with jeans and sneakers (wolf and Sheppard). However, jeans and dress shirt with a tie may not earn you the points to get into the bedroom later and do things other than sleep. Applebees may not get you there either.

May 20, 2024, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you think our players really tie their own ties? ]

I’ve got to admit, the ladies would probably be all over a guy wearing this jacket and tie combo. The khakis make him look too much like a banker for me to pull it off though.

May 20, 2024, 9:46 AM

Okay...switch the denim to the top and the other material to the bottom. Cutting edge.

May 20, 2024, 9:40 AM

I've always hated ties and hated that right out of Clemson it was required where I got my first real job. Thank God they changed policies within a couple years and we didn't have to wear them anymore.

That is a skill that every man should learn...

May 20, 2024, 9:56 AM

IMO, knowing how to tie a necktie is a necessary skill every man needs to learn.
There are times when neckties, and even bow ties, are essential outfit elements. Although, learning to tie a bow tie is more difficult.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: That is a skill that every man should learn...

May 20, 2024, 10:21 AM

I never appreciated the rigid church structure I had forced upon me growing up but one take away I got in life skills was learning how to tie a double windsor….perfectly……..even with my eyes closed.

Through my time in the navy I can’t count all the times I had to tie somebody’s black tie on their old “Johnny Cash” winter blues. But if you think a double windsor is a challenge, try rolling and tying a neckerchief correctly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2024, 9:56 AM

by the looks at the positions of most of those knots, none of them are clip-ons.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2024, 11:21 AM

Sure looks like one to me unless he’s some sort of profession tie tire.

May 20, 2024, 10:28 AM

I learned at to tie a tie age 35. That train goes around the hill up through the tunnel back down the hill then around the mountain and back through the tunnel...or something like that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why I love zipper ties. Saves the effort of tieing, but also you don't

May 20, 2024, 10:31 AM

have the stigma and danger of falling off of a clip on.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2024, 10:37 AM

Quite a few don’t know how. Whenever I go to weddings I’m always the one helping my friends tie their ties, and we’re all young professionals with good jobs so it’s not like it’s not useful knowledge.

I was raised to know these things. Military family. I’ve been tying my own ties since about five years old.

Replies: 22
| visibility 956
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic