Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 4430

Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo

May 21, 2024, 12:37 AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/is-dabo-swinneys-transfer-stance-crippling-clemson-190223774.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo

May 21, 2024, 6:54 AM

If you click the link it drives traffic and revenue for the publisher which encourages them to say outlandish things for clicks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 7:23 AM

Is it really outlandish. The jury is most certainly still out. It’s not a given it can be done Swinney way. Never the less he’s dying on that hill

May 21, 2024, 8:09 AM

Is it really outlandish. The jury is most certainly still out. It’s not a given it can be done Swinney way. Never the less he’s dying on that hill

Maybe drivel or puff are better terms than outlandish. I call it drivel as this guy does not look at any other aspect which might have caused the regression we have seen over the last few years. He takes the popular narrative and uses it as the reason without consideration of anything else. If the portal was the answer, then teams like Miami, Louisville, Colorado, USC and aTm would be top 10 programs. He likes to point out that Bama, Ohio and Michigan use the portal, but he fails to mention these programs have resources to invest millions in NIL. He also fails to point out Clemson loses far fewer players to the portal so we dont need to pull from the portal just to field a team.

May 22, 2024, 8:11 PM

Sorry but to say Clemson doesn’t need the transfer portal to fill holes due to players leaving or mid evaluations is asinine.

May 21, 2024, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo ]

If Dabo made you the #1 recruiter of the transfer portal, I'll bet any amount that you couldn't bring in a top 5 star QB out of the portal with the same NIL money that Clemson has to work with.

I don't know what it's so hard to understand that Clemson and the city of Clemson is in a very small area without very many big businesses that are wanting to donate a bunch of money in the name of college sports to improve their NIL funding.

The reason that the coots are finally starting to get the 4 and a couple of 5 star players that they've all of a sudden started to recruit into that program surely isn't bc Shane Beamer is their HC. It's bc they are getting NIL donors from the entire state with Columbia being the home of our statehouse with the majority of them are coot fans that know big business owners around the entire state. It may surprise you of what a small favor in big business is worth, and coot college is next door to our statehouse...

The NIL is working favorable for them in helping with their recruiting...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 9:10 AM

"If Dabo made you the #1 recruiter of the transfer portal, I'll bet any amount that you couldn't bring in a top 5 star QB out of the portal with the same NIL money that Clemson has to work with."

If you believe this you are delusional. Clemson Collectives shelled over 8 million total last year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 9:32 AM

"If Dabo made you the #1 recruiter of the transfer portal, I'll bet any amount that you couldn't bring in a top 5 star QB out of the portal with the same NIL money that Clemson has to work with."

If you believe this you are delusional. Clemson Collectives shelled over 8 million total last year.

Not doubting but where did you get the $8M figure? I would also say the money is divided over all programs. A big reason our baseball, basketball, softball and soccer programs are good is because of the NIL funds. A big reason we have few football players hit the portal is because of NIL support. Paying one QB a million bucks or more would impact all the other areas. Perhaps it would be worth it, but ND and USC (two name two) have paid for top shelf QBs without much to show for it.

May 21, 2024, 9:52 AM

The article was in the post and courier and I don't have an account anymore to find it. Between TigerImpact and Dear Old Clemson and other smaller one-offs it was close to 8 million total brought in. Most of the funds shelled out were football related. Both of these are now rolled into 101 Society.

"Paying one QB a million bucks or more would impact all the other areas. Perhaps it would be worth it, but ND and USC (two name two) have paid for top shelf QBs without much to show for it."

Our biggest lacking the last 3 years has been QB and WR (and of course OL)

Here's the top 15 teams that brought in QBs and/or WRs from the portal:

2. Washington (QB and WR)
3. Texas (QB and WR)
4. Alabama (WR)
5. FSU
6. Georgia (WR)
8. Oregon (QB and WR)
9. Missouri (WR)
11. Ole Miss (QB and WR)
12. Oklahoma (QB and WR)
13. LSU (QB and WR)
14. Arizona (QB and WR)
15. Louisville (QB and WR)

I'd say it worked pretty #### well

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2024, 3:09 PM

Are you available to be a coach at Clemson? Please send your resume to Athletic Department Clemson Dabo Swinney.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo ]

You sir are underestimating clemsons nil power.

May 22, 2024, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo ]

And they still gonna suck after blowing those wads.

Viva la SCar.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see how this is outlandish though

May 21, 2024, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo ]

It's a legitimate question

We are doing it differently than everyone else

May 21, 2024, 6:59 AM

Who? Never heard of Dana.

May 21, 2024, 7:34 AM

Never heard of him., don’t care what he thinks!!lol

Did you read the article? I'm still looking for the "shot"

May 21, 2024, 7:35 AM

He didn't say anything that wasn't true and, unlike most of his articles about Dabo, was mostly complementary of the program. Our reticence or inability to utilize the portal puts us at a competitive disadvantage that much is fact; he just pointed it out.

And before you geezers who think anyone who wants us to use the portal also wants to run Dabo off get started; I think he's the best thing that's ever happened to Clemson football I just wish he'd adapt to the portal.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nailed it Greech

May 21, 2024, 8:36 AM

No one I know wants him to use it like Florida State. Everyone wants him to use it like Alabama and Georgia… just select few to fill the now unavoidable holes which appear in your roster every year. It’s an available resource that could’ve come in handy for us over the last few years. Another wide receiver, another OL, to provide quality depth to-make up for all those injuries.

Unfortunately, he has talked so much about it, many times unnecessarily, that using it becomes harder because when he does, ppl will go…see we told you. I just think the whole narrative, kinda like the 1.5% thing, is totally unnecessary and self-inflicted & could’ve easily been avoided. Less is more here….

On another note, I do not believe that the choice to not use the portal at all has benefited our high school recruiting in a significant way. I do believe it has hampered our ability to be attractive to the select few in the portal that do fit our profile.

Like Summer official visits, I think he will be forced to eventually do it. Dabo is correct and that it is hard to find fits in the portal; we could do a better job on our end as well. You gotta put in the work to make yourself more attractive as well

The link below posted by Colbert yesterday, is a great point of view. I agree with many of Dabos points, but we could position ourselves better

https://x.com/247sports/status/1792608727620571540?s=46

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you read the article? I'm still looking for the "shot"

May 22, 2024, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Did you read the article? I'm still looking for the "shot" ]

Problem there is Clemson is a small school, the money to compete dollar for dollar for the guys looking for 'the bag' is not there and will not be there. Clemson must offer something else unique to Clemson to get a leg up on the competition.

We have made portal offers that were turned down, you have zero control over that.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 8:05 AM

Pretty fair article IMO. Michigan had 9 transfer players last year. Washington had 8 including their starting QB. Their culture seemingly remained intact. However, it is disingenuous to just say use the portal. What the top teams do is target and tamper with players on other schools’ rosters, broker a pay for play deal and get them on board. Regardless, the maxim adapt and survive is as true now as it was 100 years ago. I just hope Dabo doesn’t suffer the fate of the best buggy whip manufacturer at the dawn of the age of automobiles.

May 21, 2024, 8:31 AM

Saban decided he'd rather quit than play the portal game so can't really blame Dabo for refusing to tamper with players on other teams which is exactly how most of the big programs are getting guys. Just because everyone else is ok being sleazy doesn't mean we should also or we are doomed. Having said that I would have no problem at all if we tried to bring in a few portal players every season to fill needs but, once again, that doesn't guarantee you will get them if you haven't already paid them off to come to your school.

Saban is 72 do you think he woulda retired if he was 52?***

May 21, 2024, 9:08 AM

May 21, 2024, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo ]

People trying to put words in Saban’s mouth and make it all about the portal and NIL. The man is 72 and his wife has had health issues. He wanted to retire and enjoy life with his family and wife. Everybody acting like he couldn’t or wouldn’t handle the NIL/portal situation is ridiculous. It’s Alabama, they’re right up there with UGA. If he was 20 years younger, he would still be the coach at Bama.

May 22, 2024, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo ]

"Everyone else is not being sleazy" who uses the portal. If you are a sleazy program then you are just as sleazy recruiting HS players as you are the portal. Many good programs can be good at both and do it the right way.

2024 free_orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 8:39 AM

With a lot of folks, the moment they open their mouth they start proving they're an idiot!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 8:51 AM

I have sort of gone back and forth on this issue for a while. I absolutely think it has hurt us. But the one thing most people leave out of this conversation is that we are not losing players nearly at the rate of most of the other active portal players. That has to be considered. Some of our problems have been simply missing on some recruits at some important spots. All of that said, this feels like a referendum year on the subject. I can promise you this. Dabo wants desperately to win and win big "his way" so he can shove it in the face of his critics. I am not sure I would bet against him.

We do lose fewer players to the portal but I'd ask how many starters are other

May 21, 2024, 9:16 AM

Elite teams losing? Teams like jawja and 0310 state are using the portal to basically cut guys that aren't producing. They're essentially cycling out the bottom portion of their lineups to bring in proven performers from other programs. That's why it's so hard for us to be successful in the portal; Dabo isn't gonna kick guys to the curb like that so we have to be perfect in evaluating HS talent.

Re: We do lose fewer players to the portal but I'd ask how many starters are other

May 22, 2024, 8:17 PM

Bs he basically already has.

May 21, 2024, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Dan Wetzel takes his shot at Dabo ]

We've lost more than 10 each of the last 3 years. So what's your bench mark on that?

Its a decent little four minute read. Not inflammatory imho

May 21, 2024, 8:55 AM

I don’t think it is a bad piece except nothing original. If it was some sort of long form article with additional facts or human interest - but nothing new here for those except the most casual of all followers.

This (from Dan) sums up my thoughts and questions at the moment:

“It’s good, old-school stuff. It is reflective of the overarching ethos of Dabo Swinney and one of the reasons he was able to attract so many great recruits and elevate the Clemson program into the national elite in the first place. Dabo has never done anything like everyone else. It worked. But can it still?”

There you go - proof in the pudding and all that kind of stuff.

Never heard of him.***

May 21, 2024, 8:56 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This article is 100% on the money***

May 21, 2024, 9:09 AM

How Many National Championships Has Wetzhispants Won???***

May 22, 2024, 10:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This article is 100% spot on.

May 22, 2024, 11:12 PM

The author isn’t taking a shot at Dabo. He is speaking the truth.

Dabo deserves every bit of criticism he is getting on this. He had an opportunity to adapt to this portal era. Not only did he not adapt, but he has gone out of his way to criticize the portal and have a holier-than-thou attitude about it.

This seems to be the hill that Dabo is prepared to die on. I think it’s a bad move, and early returns these last three years support my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: This article is 100% spot on.

May 23, 2024, 10:16 AM

Right on que.

Re: This article is 100% spot on.

May 24, 2024, 3:13 PM [ in reply to This article is 100% spot on. ]

Yes you are smarter than all of the Clemson coaches combined.

... with his cute little Red Ryder bb gun.

May 23, 2024, 10:37 AM

May 23, 2024, 12:49 PM

Looks to me that Dabo's recruiting has gotten better in the face of all this so why the outside criticism? Could it be jealousy? Some just cannot tolerate those that don't go along with the crowd because they themselves do not have the gumption to do likewise. I think Dabo knows what he's doing- just wait and see.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2024, 3:12 PM

So if Clemson beats Georgia, will you be taking any credit for the win?

Replies: 37
| visibility 4430
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic