Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Athletic Dept Spending comparisons
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2260

Athletic Dept Spending comparisons

May 19, 2024, 7:42 AM

Here’s finally data for both public and private schools organized by conference. Just thought this would be helpful info for future arguments here on TNet. Data is broken down by football, basketball, Olympic sports, and number of varsity athletes.

<###### async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Athletic Dept Spending comparisons

May 19, 2024, 7:53 AM

There are only 7 schools in the power 5 that spent less than us in basketball. Hmmm

What a return on investment this past year!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2024, 8:03 AM

Back for 9 minutes and already spreading propaganda.

https://media.clemson.edu/finance/controller/annualreports/fy23-acfr.pdf

We spent $15.6 million in 2023.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2024, 8:30 AM

Actually have been unbanned for a week. Not going to post much here. There is little value in conversing with the low iq folks on tigernet.

It took you a whole 10 minutes to respond to my post! You are going have to get back into shape!

May 19, 2024, 8:33 AM

How did you enjoy one of the best clemson basketball seasons that you have ever witnessed?

And yet, here you are.

May 19, 2024, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Athletic Dept Spending comparisons ]

Enjoy your little staycation?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

May 19, 2024, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Athletic Dept Spending comparisons ]

You seem to be burying the lede. 15.6 =/= to 8. You've been provided the link to Clemson's comprehensive budget. From here forward references to an $8 million budget are outright lies. Why do you need to lie about our expenditures?

Projecting:overly concerned about the perception...

May 19, 2024, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Athletic Dept Spending comparisons ]

of his intelligence, offers derogatory insults as his 1st counter measure to viewpoints opposing his tired, defeatist basketball threads, desperate for attention chooses the football forum to whine about basketball. Insecurities regarding intelligence may be valid: "unbanned".

But we spend plenty, Brownell just needs to do better! Derp!***

May 19, 2024, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Athletic Dept Spending comparisons ]

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

i see you are finally starting to see the light ..

May 19, 2024, 5:18 PM

i know it was hard

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

tell 'em shill I

May 19, 2024, 8:26 PM [ in reply to But we spend plenty, Brownell just needs to do better! Derp!*** ]

We spent $15.6 million on basketball in 2023

May 19, 2024, 8:02 AM

Feel free to throw those numbers in the trash.

Re: We spent $15.6 million on basketball in 2023

May 19, 2024, 8:19 AM

To be fair, this is data published by the Dept of Education as reported by the schools. This is not trash data. What the Dept of Education requires to be reported probably impacts the numbers. Anyhow, it’s legit data for comparison to other schools (public and private finally).

Re: We spent $15.6 million on basketball in 2023

May 19, 2024, 2:03 PM

"trash" being subjective here, then yes. But the Dept of Ed data is not standardized and is voluntarily reported. So it has no real use for comparative purposes. I'm showing you concrete proof we spent $15.6 million that year and the chart says $8 something. That nearly a 100% discrepancy. How, exactly, is that legit for comparison?

May 19, 2024, 8:18 AM

Thanks for your post. These figures are disquieting. We are definitely in the ROY bus.

May 19, 2024, 2:08 PM

7Tiger7®

our numbers for basketball, as reflected in the department of ed data, are off by nearly 100%. We spent $15.6 million in 2023 on basketball as demonstrated in the attached audited comprehensive budget report.

LOL, actual facts can NEVER enter into a TNET "discussion". We don't call them

May 19, 2024, 8:20 AM

argumentations, that would be argumental.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2024, 12:00 PM

Great ROI for Clemson...all that SEC money does not seem to be producing stellar results...maybe there is quite a disconnect between what some carpetbaggers say we need and what we have based on what we are spending...are these wannabees just looking for more money for part time almost students...FSWTC ROI must really suck...but Norvell is so smart, I'll stick with Dabo!

May 19, 2024, 7:26 PM

The explanation provided about the Dept of Education data is exclusion of CapEx and debt servicing. Those would be unique to each university. Also, each university has choices to make for allocating general department costs across the various sports. Every university across the all conferences provided data so I doubt it’s voluntary and is probably required for Tilte IX compliance. Absolutely not arguing the Clemson report and it’s accuracy, but this data is also accurate for what the Federal government requires.

May 20, 2024, 3:02 PM

Here's some further information. The numbers featured in the link you originally provided are for the 2022-23 year. The correspond directly to the numbers on the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report that I have provided the link. The Dept of Ed issues a survey. This survey is exclusively about operating expenses. Basketball recruiting expenses are merged with Men's Team's recruiting expenses. Student aid expenses are merged with Men's Team's student aid expenses. Game Day basketball operating expenses are treated as their own section. https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

The balance, $8,587,001 is attributed as "Operating Expenses - Men's Teams" (this is just over half of our actual basketball operating expenses). For whatever reason, when people reference athletic budgets, they only use this one category. It is woefully ineffective in comparing institutions. Further, it does not include any form of CapEx.

"The EADA (Attachment B) was created for a very special purpose and its focus is not specifically on the overall financial state of intercollegiate athletics." These are the words of the Knight Commission itself. Further, "(the EADA is) gender specific participation and
financial data but isn’t designed to clearly articulate the sources and uses of an athletic
department’s revenues and expenditures." The survey is focused on equity in college sports. It was never intended for the purpose for which these kind of comparisons make.

May 19, 2024, 7:24 PM

To me the shocker was Auburn out spends UGA in football.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2260
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic