Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Smiling Tiger, you made several errors bud.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,287

Smiling Tiger, you made several errors bud.

Feb 23, 2013, 9:19 PM

We have 13 players on the roster, 11 of which are freshmen and sophomores. Two of those players are out for the season.

You said there were several teams as young as we are, but all of the teams you mentioned are older and deeper than we are.

Butler has 3x as many juniors and seniors. They have 4 more players on the active roster. You said they are natural shooters. Are you sure of that? Did you check their stats as freshman and sophomores? Are you sure they didn't improve over time in the system?

UVA has 2.5x as many juniors and seniors, and they have 5 more players on the active roster. We split with them.

UMD has 2.5x as many juniors and seniors, and they have 5 more players on the active roster. I would like to get them on our home court before declaring them as "better".

It's absolutely ludicrous to compare our recruiting to UNC's, but in any event they have 3x as many juniors and seniors in addition to having 4 more players on the active roster.

We lost 5 ACC games by 5 points or less, two of them by a last second 3-pointer. We have not been dominated by anyone other than Duke, and Maryland is the next largest margin of defeat.

We lost two players, including a guy who proved he can score last year, plus the best recruit in our signing class. We were hoping to count on those two players, but neither one has logged a single minute.

You said we won't get better until we sign better shooters, but I wonder, have you looked at the high school stats? Did we really sign naturally worse shooters than everyone else? I doubt it.

You said we won't get better until we sign better players, but then you also admitted, as you should, that we'll get better as these kids gain experience and we fill out a balanced roster.

I'm sorry, but basically nothing you said was correct. I hate to use the word "ignorant", but I can't think of a nicer word.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that does not change the fact we are not a good basketball

Feb 23, 2013, 9:25 PM

team at all with players who are very limited in their abilities....we have a few good players with good basketball instincts...Roper and McDaniels have good instincts. The game appears to be too fast for a few. Sullivan and Harrison might develop over time. Hall is extremely limited with his lack of shooting ability. We are young but we are also lacking in talent. Story of Clemson basketball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you may have missed the point.

Feb 23, 2013, 9:30 PM

No, we don't have upper echelon talent, but we are younger than everyone and we aren't as deep either. I thought the point was pretty clear, Brownell's coaching along with experience and a deeper roster - that will tell the tale.

We are not as experienced or as deep as any of the teams the other guy mentioned, but we have nonetheless been right on the edge of winning numerous games. Time and depth are the recipe for getting over the hump in those games - not that we 'must' sign better players.

disagree....we need both....we need better players along w/

Feb 23, 2013, 9:35 PM

depth and experience...I don't think Brad would say this roster has enough talent...any coach would take more talent. We have players at key positions who are limited in their abilities. Hall simply isn't a very good shooter. Roper is...Roper has good form and a good toughness about him. KJ has very good athletic ability. Sullivan and Harrison appear to be good athletes...not quite good basketball players. Nnoko is very very raw and it shows on defense....saw it today guarding the pick and roll. I get we are missing some talent...key talent that was counted on for this yr. We are very young due to a few bad classes and a number of transfers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We may or may not sign better talent, I don't know, but we

Feb 23, 2013, 9:39 PM

don't need both to be a good basketball team. What we need most is experience and a balanced roster. By the time the 11 freshmen and sophomores are juniors and seniors, we will be a MUCH better basketball team, with or without "better players".

you have to have good players to be a good basketball team

Feb 23, 2013, 9:49 PM

in the ACC..it's a must...you're playing against good players...to win you need good talent. A coach can only elevate the play of a player so far. I had a ceiling...very low one...every player is only so good. We got nuts on signing day in football with 4 and 5 star players..we realize in football to be good we need to get those players. Basketball is the same. You've got to have those players to win.

Sigh...............

Feb 23, 2013, 9:54 PM

We have good players who need to grow and get help from the bottom up. They have not reached their peak and they are not "only so good". They will improve dramatically with time in the system and balance. We will not be "4 and 5 star" U at any point in the foreseeable future, but we will be a considerably better basketball team than what we are now, regardless if we load up on "better players" or not.

they might...players who are typically 3 stars vs

Feb 23, 2013, 9:59 PM

players who are 4 and 5 stars are missing some talent...obviously....in football it's size or speed. A coach can teach better technique but he can't coach a player to be taller or faster. Those are God given talents. Experience does not automatically mean a player gets better. A player could reach a ceiling in their ability level. Some continue to develop. Hopefully ours will.

When our 11 of 13 FR and SO are JRs and SRs......

Feb 23, 2013, 10:11 PM

Do you or do you not think we will be a better basketball team, regardless if we continue to bring in 3 and 4 star recruits?

Re: When our 11 of 13 FR and SO are JRs and SRs......

Feb 23, 2013, 10:32 PM

common sense. But that doesn't/won't make much of a difference. We don't have the talent on our team that we need to be competitive - more experience isn't going to change that basic fact.

If we had real talent on the team we wouldn't have to wait for some future point to see it. In college basketball talented incoming freshmen make their talent known their freshman year.

Your comment just follows more of the "we're almost there with just a little more time" logic which has failed us forever.

Like somebody said, hoping is not a strategy. What we do need is a real strategy for getting better.

Did you answer yes or no?

Feb 23, 2013, 10:39 PM

We have been close to winning several key games this year. With no juniors and two wildly inconsistent seniors. When our 11 (of 13 players, with 2 hurt) freshmen and sophomores are juniors and seniors, are you saying we won't be a better basketball team? Really??

Correct the Jamison Christie etc etc Barnes class had their

Feb 24, 2013, 12:23 AM [ in reply to Re: When our 11 of 13 FR and SO are JRs and SRs...... ]

Deepest run their soph year. They made the NCAA fr so jr year, nit sr yr.

sometimes players progress....sometimes they don't

Feb 24, 2013, 8:36 AM [ in reply to When our 11 of 13 FR and SO are JRs and SRs...... ]

I could list 100 players I've seen in the past 30+ yrs who progressed at a tremendous rate during their careers and 100 more that didn't. It's up to the individual player, their work ethic, and desire to get better. It's not up to the coaching staff. Sometimes the player has that desire and some simply don't. Some have the ability to progress and some don't. It's not a given that simply because a player gets older they get better.

We are talking about the TEAM as a whole......

Feb 24, 2013, 9:12 PM

What's your answer?

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13648523

Re: they might...players who are typically 3 stars vs

Feb 24, 2013, 8:29 AM [ in reply to they might...players who are typically 3 stars vs ]

I'd argue that a couple of the 3 stars on this team are better than our 5 star. Give them time to develop and give BB time to develop some depth and we'll be OK. We're never going to be up there with UNC and Duke but we should be top third year in and year out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Disagree, we have extremely average talent and while we are

Feb 24, 2013, 12:18 AM [ in reply to Sigh............... ]

Young as a point of fact, we will be exposed inside next year more so then we were this year. We also lack enough shooters to be competitive, and shooters typically don't develop. You either are one or you aren't. All in all brownell is a good coach, particularlly on the defensive end. He is probably about the right level for our program, which is not a power.

I have seen a couple strategic decisions that were questionable, such as sitting on a lead to soon. Also the lack of recruiting big men will haunt us, as mentioned above.

I think generally where you are misguided is viewing basketball player development like an offensive line. It isn't. You pretty much know what you have as a freshman. Are there exceptions? Sure. Do they improve, sure. But it's marginal. In other words, if the teams you site out recruit us their fresh.and soph will beat our jr and sr in two years. So the entire youth argument fails.

Generally agree, but we got humiliated by UVA in charlottesvi

Feb 23, 2013, 9:51 PM

Just sayin

Message was edited by: mpercy®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We beat them at Clemson.***

Feb 23, 2013, 9:55 PM

Re: Smiling Tiger, you made several errors bud.

Feb 23, 2013, 11:07 PM

BB IS a great bb coach. Kiss my ####.

Fire Dabo!

Feb 24, 2013, 8:30 AM

Do these haters ever get tired? BB is doing a great job. Give him (and his players) time. We see very few players who don't get better with a few seasons under their belt. Do BBall players wear belts?

We lack

Feb 24, 2013, 9:04 AM

that one game changing player. Who is to say he isn't already on the roster or committed to play for Clemson. We need a little more talent but there isn't any reason that Clemson can't get the player that they need. Quite honestly, we have to because with the addition of Pitt,Cuse, and the Cards we are in deep trouble. Hit the city playgrounds brad

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,287
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic