Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just curious... How many of you were around in 1980?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Just curious... How many of you were around in 1980?

Nov 1, 2010, 11:19 PM

I won't forget it. Most that remember it do so for only one reason. It was the year we broke out the orange britches for the first time and trounced the coots soundly. I watched it all from the very same seat that I sit in today. It seems that the good times are all that we ever remember from the past. But, there was more to that season than that one memorable game. I also remember the down side to that season. Although we didn't have the internet and the capabilities that exist now, fans were voicing their displeasure with a young, underachieving Clemson coach. The team was lucky to exit the season with a 6-5 record and that young coach was lucky to make it to the next year with his job. Some fans were screaming that the administration had showed its lack of commitment to the program by hiring the young offensive line coach from the previous staff. We needed a proven man they said. Others said that they knew it was a mistake to make a position coach the head guy. Even more said, "Just fire him and move one" despite the fact that he was in the middle of putting together a stellar recruiting class. And then... the rest of the 1980's played itself out. It was a decade of dominance by a Clemson program that sent all of those early naysayers into hiding. Many of those same people then changed their story and proclaimed, "I never had a doubt."

Funny how, sometimes, things come full circle.

Now, I'm not foolish enough to say that the circle is gonna continue on and repeat its same path. I am, however, smart enough to now know that not one person that posts on this board can prove that it won't.

I've witnessed the possibilities firsthand.

I was there at Chapel Hill in '81. I was there in the Orange Bowl. I was there when we stuck it to Jawja, Penn State and gave Barry Switzer a going away present that he still hasn't forgotten. I closed out that decade by watching us dismantle FSU in Tally and Major Harris at the Gator Bowl. I'd sure hate to think that all of it may not have happened had it been left up to a bunch of vocal idiots that were willing to make their decision based on the emotions of what was happening right then in that one season of 1980.

So, I ask ya... Do you remember?

Can you guarantee me that your way, whether that's keeping the staff we have or hiring someone new, will absolutely result in another decade like the 80's? If not then simply shut up, quit arguing and start supporting Clemson no matter what. If you can't do that then just go away.

Despite what many of you seem to believe, not one of you (self included) is capable of doing any better whether that be coaching or running the program.

Love it or leave it. Just pick one, ######.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOOM!!

Nov 1, 2010, 11:23 PM

shaka-laka.

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just curious... How many of you were around in 1980?

Nov 1, 2010, 11:28 PM

I thought about that as well.. i will never forget Jim Phillips remarks after we beat USC/Columbia. He was almost taunting the Clemson fans by saying.. Danny can't coach, Danny is gone.. well let me tell you something Tim, he came in here today and coached................

but the difference between the two teams is that in 1981 we had our quarterback returning. So I suppose if we go ahead and TOTALLY bench Parker in favor of Boyd, then it would be very similar.

the other difference is much more of a concern. while we DID have a power strugle within the Athletic Department back then.. WE DID NOT HAVE AN AD who is ONLY concerned about himself. Coaches in our department despise him. No one wants to work for him and he can not keep coaches employed.

Fire Dabo***

Nov 1, 2010, 11:34 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2010, 11:36 PM

Dabo and Danny Ford [3]
Posted: Oct 14, 2010 11:52 PM Reply

As you can see, I posted this on Oct. 14 and got many "hate" e-mails about how Dabo isn't Danny, etc...Anyway, you're not alone.

We all love what Danny did at Clemson - and some are bashing Dabo because he's not like Danny. I looked this up and find it interesting - Danny's record his first full year at Clemson 8-4. Keep in mind that he was coming off an 11-1 season as an assistant under Charley Pell. Dabo's - 9-5 - he was coming off a 6-6 record as an assistant under Bowden. Danny's second full year as coach 6-5. Man I'm glad some of these chatters weren't around then - "Fire Him" "Spend millions and bring 'Super coach' in here". Dabo's now at 2-3 in his 2nd year. Danny's third year 12-0 National Champs (thank goodness we kept him). Danny was young just like Dabo and he got better. Took him 3 years and inherited a lot better team than Dabo did. You cannot throw money at this and make it better. Look at Usuc and the last 2 coaches they have hired - Lou Holtz (couple of natl championships) and Spurrier (one of the best ever) look how that has worked out. Spurrier doing better this year - how long has it taken him?

I was a student in 1980. Yes, that was then, but this is

Nov 1, 2010, 11:41 PM

now. People need to stop comparing Dabo to Ford. The only thing they have in common is one was an All American lineman at Bama, another a walkon WR.

Wait, I take it back, that is a pretty thin common thread.

It seems pretty obvious the only reason Dabo made BN the OC is so Dabo could call offensive plays.

Ford stayed out of the play calling his entire career as HC. Ford hired the best asstant coaches he could find. Something Dabo has not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two big differences between now and then.......

Nov 1, 2010, 11:42 PM

The administration back then was not completely inept about how to run an athletic dept. like the one we currently have. We also had some pretty awesome LB's back then that played a big part in our success. The LB's on our current team our terrible.

back then- our admin. did'nt careif we had the rep. of a

Nov 2, 2010, 12:15 AM

football school!!!!!!!!11

Danny Ford was also a part of a winning staff. He tasted

Nov 1, 2010, 11:42 PM

a great deal of success under Charlie Pell.

Dabo was fortunate enough to put together an offensive staff and playbook built by Rob Spence and Tommy Bowden... a failed staff.

Totally different.

If you think...

Nov 1, 2010, 11:53 PM

...our current playbook is the same as we ran with Spence, you know zero about football. And Dabo has spent time in a winning program. It just wasn't here. I think you're missing the point, however. I'm not slapping a "stamp of approval" on Dabo. I am saying that too many people on here have a pretty dang high opinion of themselves and their own knowledge of football and running a program. They need to get a clue and understand that all they are doing is creating a problem not solving one.

TDP and Pres. Barker created the problem when

Nov 2, 2010, 12:00 AM

they gave TB that ridiculous contract extension and huge buyout. We, the fans, have done nothing to create this problem, except maybe continue to fund an athletic dept. run by a bunch of idiots who have no idea what they are doing. The fact that all of them are still employed just proves that they could care less about winning championships.

Step back from football for a second, If you manage people

Nov 2, 2010, 12:08 AM [ in reply to If you think... ]

and you have to replace a failing employee, would you not look for the most successful and experienced person to fill the opening? Or would you hire a second level assistant to the person you just fired with six weeks of experience in the positon he was being asked to fill?

I think we all know the answer to that question. TDP is to blame for putting Clemson in this position, and Dabo made it worse by not making better more experienced hires on the offensive staff. That is bad business, football or otherwise.

By that logic we should have hired Bobby Bowden or JoePa***

Nov 2, 2010, 6:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Intelligent response. No, a Gary Patterson or Mike Leach

Nov 2, 2010, 10:38 AM

would have been a priority, but they clearly were not.

Do you manage people in your profession? Would you look two levels below the person you just fired's staff and hire an inexperienced person to fill the fired person's position? I think not.

danny was smart enough to know what he did'nt know

Nov 1, 2010, 11:43 PM

surrounded himself w/ great coaches and got the hell out the way. dabo is the most aggressive micro-manager i've ever seen. his faith in himself is going to be his undoing if he does'nt change. "i know i'm better than this"- well apparently not son! get you some help asap!!

Exactly. I just posted a similar post above, Dabo is just

Nov 1, 2010, 11:47 PM

the opposite of Danny.

Re: Exactly. I just posted a similar post above, Dabo is just

Nov 1, 2010, 11:58 PM

c.e. i feel ya -you bridge building sumbitch!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe running a "clean" program has something to do with it

Nov 2, 2010, 12:02 AM

I grew up in the 80's. I watched the Orange Bowl from the comfort of my dads lap. What I remember back then was feeling sick every time Clemson lost. I remember going to every game feeling sorry for the other team because the head hunters that were the Tigers would abuse anybody that squared off against them. I also remember the threat of probation being non stop. It was a trade off I didn't mind: Threats of probation vs. 10 win seasons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said before the season Clemson would have a shot

Nov 2, 2010, 12:12 AM

at running the table. And Clemson did, and still have a chance at winning out. There are two big problems Clemson is facing right now: Kyle Parker throwing interceptions and the field goal kicker missing. When they have both brought their A game, Clemson has won in convincing fashion (see Maryland and GIT). However, when these two do not bring their A game, well, see Auburn, Miami, UNC, and BC.

Next year could be a magical year, it could, for one main reason: Clemson's team this year is young. Look at how few seniors are starting.

Re: I said before the season Clemson would have a shot

Nov 2, 2010, 12:19 AM

if you think tahj is gonna take us to the promise land- i'll have what you're smoking. there is a reason he has'nt seen the field w/ proctor- i mean parker starting!you will see!

Some of you...

Nov 2, 2010, 12:13 AM

...need to buy season tickets in Columbia. Your logic fits in better with that crowd. Have a good night, y'all.

Re: Some of you...

Nov 2, 2010, 12:20 AM

^^^^kumbaya^^^^^^^^

Re: Some of you...

Nov 2, 2010, 12:22 AM

^^^^^kumbaya^^^^^^^^

As compared to your Dabo = young Danny Ford logic?

Nov 2, 2010, 12:29 AM [ in reply to Some of you... ]

Peace out!!

Ahhh yes...the old "love it, or leave it" line...

Nov 2, 2010, 12:32 AM

a classic of folks who can't stand to see the status quo challenged.

Look--whether you like Dabo or not, I think it's time to knock off the Danny comparisons. It's time to look at this the way most of us saw it when he was hired: It was a money deal, plain and simple. TDP killed the budget with Bowden and that infernal extension/buyout, and he had no choice but to go with the bargain-basement option and spin the hire as hard and as fast as he could--or at least that's he saw it.

So we have what we have, and that's a severely untested, untried, unproven coach, trying to manuever his way out of a situation that would give a veteran leader difficulty.

But I'll say this--to fire Dabo now or at the end of this year, or probably even at the end of next year (if it's still warranted), would be ill-advised. Who would we hire then? A grad assistant? Me? The best thing we can do in my opinion (for now and the immediate future) is just hold on and hope this staff figures something out before it's way, way too late.

Re: Though I am a rival and an outsider today....

Nov 2, 2010, 1:21 AM

I was a freshman at Clemson in Ford's second year. I don't remember Ford being under nearly as much criticism as Dabo is now. I remember Homer Jordan being criticized heavily and he more than redeemed himself the following year. Ford took over under very different circumstances than did Dabo...not under worse circumstances necessarily...but different. Pell made a middle of the night departure prior to the Gator Bowl...Danny took over and won the game and won a lot of support. I do remember the administration doing a coaching search and being told on more than one occasion that they had their coach on staff already...Ford. Ford may not have been a coordinator but he was a highly respected, though young, position coach.

When Sweeney took over from Bowden, he had several games to prove himself and acquitted himself well. Though I think the USC game had more to do with the decision of the administration as much as anything. I don't think the coaching search for Bowden's replacement was nearly as extensive as that for Pell...though I admit that is more from reports than personal knowledge.

The big difference I see is that when Ford accepted the position, he surrounded himself with good coordinators and position coaches. He didn't have an offensive scheme he wanted to install. I personally don't think Sweeney did that....I think he hired those that supported him despite their resume and those that would allow him to put his offensive stamp on the team.

That is not necessarily a criticism, in the long run it could work out well for Clemson...or it could be Sweeney's biggest mistake.

Regardless, I don't think any school can fire a coach after only two years. That would not send a good message to any future coach. I think under most circumstances, you have to give a coach a good 4-5 years to begin to turn things around. JMVHO

Peace,

Rogue

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Re: BTW, I was at that first Gator Bowl that Danny won....

Nov 2, 2010, 1:24 AM

and was at the hotel when he received the keys to the white Jaguar with the orange pinstripes. Thanks all to my father, a Clemson alumnus, huge fan and long time IPTAY donor...God rest his soul.

Peace,

Rogue

Your Character is what you do when no one is watching.

Re: BTW, I was at that first Gator Bowl that Danny won....

Nov 2, 2010, 1:39 AM

It's disturbing to me when an admitted "rivals" posts are better reasoned than our own fans, but you just accomplished that rogue ####.

Stop the woo hoo... Seriously- cut it out.

Ford also brought in a tough approach to football

Nov 2, 2010, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Though I am a rival and an outsider today.... ]

I'm not sure Dabo did. Dabo talked all the right things about making us more physical etc, but it hasn't shown to this point. My personal belief is that defensive-minded coaches bring that toughness and nastyness. Offensive coaches don't.

It might take some time to get there, but it doesn't look like we are even heading in the right direction from the physical and mental toughness standpoint.

We'll see.

HOF***

Nov 2, 2010, 4:17 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was here in 1980. I can't support this backward program***

Nov 2, 2010, 6:26 AM

I do love it. That's why I can't support this farce.

Nov 2, 2010, 9:55 AM

No offense, but I'm not sure when blindly following your coach off of a cliff became a show of love for your alma mater.

For me, it's the opposite. I love Clemson too much to stand idly by while we become a joke.

Your mileage may vary, and that's fine. Love shows itself in many different ways.

But don't question my love for Clemson just because I expect better from some of her representatives.

Who cares?

Nov 2, 2010, 10:38 AM

Swinney is not Ford. 1980 is not 2010.

Swinney is Swinney. The year is 2010.

What happened in 1981 has no bearing on what will happen in 2011. Way more 6-5 teams have gone one to suck the next year then win the National Championship (or even the Conference).

Was not around, but posted this the other day

Nov 2, 2010, 10:04 AM

http://clemson.scout.com/2/592822.html

That...

Nov 2, 2010, 10:27 AM

is like comparing Cindy Crawford to Helen Crump....no comparison...WONT happen again in this climate at Clemson!!

I was there that day in 1980...sat in the rain on the hill***

Nov 2, 2010, 10:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there that day in 1980...sat in the rain on the hill***

Nov 2, 2010, 10:48 AM

That was one miserable day! Was so excited about the win that I forgot about the weather!

I was there***

Nov 2, 2010, 10:28 AM

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

The second coming of Danny Ford is not going to happen

Nov 2, 2010, 10:34 AM

Everyone thought Tommy West was the new Danny Ford. Then Dabo was the new Danny Ford.

We need to quit hoping and praying for a miracle "diamond in the rough" and go and hire a proven headcoach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2010, 10:36 AM

Yes, I was there. And the difference is...our players then knew the fundamentals of football. Our defense tackled and tried to strip the ball. Yes, it was a time of learning for Ford, but if I remember correctly, we at least knew the fundamentals. This team at times appears to be poorly coached at all positions.

Nov 2, 2010, 10:40 AM

AMEN !!!!!!!!!

I was there in '80. I was also there in '75 and '76.***

Nov 2, 2010, 10:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too, and still here and always will be,no matter what!***

Nov 2, 2010, 12:56 PM

I was around - lemme ask you this. How good was the O-line

Nov 2, 2010, 11:07 AM

in general when Ford was the O-line coach and afterwards?

How good were our WRs in general when Dabo was the WR coach and afterwards?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2010, 12:30 PM

Well said LOWCOUNTRY!!! The truth shall set you FREE!!!
Look at it this way, if you try to compare these two coaches then there is a lot of difference in both! I grew up through the Tigers great years. I seem to recall that a young coach under Charlie Pell got the job after he left for the FLGators, and I guesss they saw something in him to. You have to remember he inherited a talent group from CP. If you recall CP was caught at UF like DF at CU for NCAA sanctions. Yes DF was a student of Pells type of football and somethings should not be learned from a head coach, but he did it anyway. HAS DABO had that problem since becoming the head Coach, NO! He did not try to become TB but his own man!! Remember he also inherited some of TB's tallented young players. Yes he is a young coach, but not younger than DF was when he took over the Tigers. Dabo is still trying to get us there and I believe he will. Remember he trys to instill knowledge and leadership into every player. One last thing, all of you tiger fans should support and not judge this Coach. UNITY=POWER

Better start paying some guys to clean seaweed out of the...

Nov 2, 2010, 12:41 PM

...parking lots. Because that is the only way we got there and at this rate the only way we'll get back.

i was there! well sort of, fourth year of my five year plan

Nov 2, 2010, 12:42 PM

enjoyed football win or lose, at least what i remember of it!

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic