Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kyle's Mom Speaks Out - Everyone Should Read
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

Kyle's Mom Speaks Out - Everyone Should Read

Oct 19, 2010, 5:02 PM

Kyle's mom Cathy wrote an article today that should be read by every Clemson fan. Puts a different perspective on things for some.

http://clemson.infusionsports.com/2010/10/19/cathy-parker-proud-to-be-a-tiger/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have just made tnet worth reading for me***

Oct 19, 2010, 5:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was a nice article.***

Oct 19, 2010, 5:07 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't get me wrong, it's a great article, but the same words

Oct 19, 2010, 5:09 PM

have been spoken by many parents of players over the years. Particularly quarterbacks. I knew one who basically had to take a Valium at every game around half time to put up with the BS she heard.

Fans should be more considerate, and yes, at Clemson, I think we have been and can be.

Re: Kyle's Mom Speaks Out - Everyone Should Read

Oct 19, 2010, 5:13 PM

Takes a lot of guts and class to come out and write that and let TheClemsonInsider run it.

Classy family. Interesting how Kyle was a Tiger from the start. Had never heard that story.

Great article, but I still have my doubts

Oct 19, 2010, 5:15 PM

I understand where Cathy Parker is coming from and I respect her tremendously, but I am pessimistic towards her message.

Plain and simple...the kids these days suck. I'm 25, and I have plenty of experience with the kids a third of a generation below me. There's no such thing as loyalty and devotion anymore. The ones my age and in college think in extremes. We're either with Alabama, Texas, and Ohio State, or we may as well be Memphis and Northern Illinois.

Additionally, the current generation's behavior sucks. I don't even go to football games with 90% of my friends I graduated with anymore because, quite frankly, they are embarrassing to be around. I expect poor behavior from a freshman...not a junior, senior, or a graduate.

The generational changes mixed with the new hoity toity Clemson brought on by current administration convinces me that the Clemson most of us on TigerNet grew up loving is on the brink of death.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you are only 25, you are basically in the same

Oct 19, 2010, 5:20 PM

generation as the players that you bash. Therein lies your problem, young Tiger.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Players that I bash? I don't recall bashing any player.

Oct 19, 2010, 5:22 PM

Please point out where I did.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Players that I bash? I don't recall bashing any player.

Oct 19, 2010, 5:32 PM

I took your second paragraph to include players. If that was not the case, my apologies.

Photobucket

No problem. I see the confusion in my writing.

Oct 19, 2010, 5:42 PM

Cathy Parker was referring to the fans, so I was tying my comments to the fans, as well.

And, after rereading your post

Oct 19, 2010, 5:48 PM

you make some pretty valid points, but I hope you're wrong. :)

Photobucket

Re: Players that I bash? I don't recall bashing any player.

Oct 19, 2010, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Players that I bash? I don't recall bashing any player. ]

You are still drinking similac milk. Get your bottle and go to bed.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRR.......

Oct 19, 2010, 6:04 PM [ in reply to If you are only 25, you are basically in the same ]

He's basically the same age as the offensive coordinator and some coaches that he bashes.

I get your point, but I haven't bashed the coaching staff

Oct 19, 2010, 6:09 PM

either.

Again, please indicate where I have.

My only point was, it was wrong to ignore an opinion

Oct 19, 2010, 6:24 PM

simply because you may only be 25.

I agree. Most Clemson fans this generation

Oct 19, 2010, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Great article, but I still have my doubts ]

are just fair weather fans and are embarrassing to be around. Especially the students. Wish it wasn't like that.

Re: Great article, but I still have my doubts

Oct 19, 2010, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Great article, but I still have my doubts ]

Sounds like you are in a great position to change the way some youngsters act, but doesn’t sound like you have the guts to do it. Instead you just talk about how everyone sucks. Maybe you should look in the mirror when you say that, or choose to make a difference. Our tigers have their ups and lately alot of downs, we don't like for the team to lose but it's time like these that we stand by these young adult and show them that we are behind them win or lose.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've done my part and I continue to do it

Oct 19, 2010, 6:07 PM

I'm hosting six NC State alumni at my tailgate for our game against the Wolfpack. Five of them have never been, and all five decided to come to Clemson on short notice simply due to my girlfriend's and my constant conversation about how quality a place Clemson is.

My brother and I, who go to the games together, quit inviting a friend of mine who absolutely could not control himself at the home games.

I went to Auburn this year, and Atlanta, Raleigh, and Tampa last season, and the group I was with made a point to speak to at least half a dozen fans from the opposing team and do our best to be hospitable.

But entire generational changes are hard to impact, my friend.

(Pssst----encouraging more opposing fans to come to

Oct 19, 2010, 9:46 PM

CU games isn't really "helping", per se.)

you are 25 and have this infinite wisdom?

Oct 19, 2010, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Great article, but I still have my doubts ]

i give the youth much more credit and i am 50.

Re: Great article, but I still have my doubts

Oct 20, 2010, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Great article, but I still have my doubts ]

I can tell you that the kids today are no different than in the late70's and early 80's. We got drunk went to the games and yelled our heads off but if we lost we bitched and moan just like everyone does now.

Heck we were ready to fire Danny until he beat the coots in 1980.

I'm around the students every saturday and I think they are well behaved compared to back in the day.

Nice article....***

Oct 19, 2010, 5:16 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this lady knows here stuff about football & is special

Oct 19, 2010, 5:18 PM

If you don't know what she did to get field turf and move it to Alsaka to help a school you should find that story. special people who put their beiefs into actions. nice to hear her perspective.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's the link to the story:

Oct 19, 2010, 7:14 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2772290

Both she and her husband came to our church in Clemson

Oct 20, 2010, 10:29 AM [ in reply to this lady knows here stuff about football & is special ]

last year and shared their testimony and this story. They are very special people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Everyone on here is more worried about what everyone is

Oct 19, 2010, 5:24 PM

going to wear to the game.

Any mom would be proud to have a son like him***

Oct 19, 2010, 5:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Classy lady and family-everyone should read this!***

Oct 19, 2010, 5:27 PM

In case you've never had the privilege, . . .

Oct 19, 2010, 5:30 PM

and for me it was more years ago than she'd want me to say, I haven't seen her since and I do not know Jim, but Liz Rebolt Riggs was 100% Class when I knew her at Riverside; if you need an example of someone that is equally as beautiful inside as they are on the outside, that's Liz, if anyone could have convinced me to go to Clemson, it would have been her - g&b

if only she would have succeeded......your life would be...

Oct 19, 2010, 5:32 PM

.....about the same as it is now.... ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so, if she's all in, why is her other son elsewhere for an

Oct 19, 2010, 5:52 PM

official visit?

This article is BS, sorry. Football is a competitive game and the fans have to pay a lot of money to be able to watch. If you don't want to hear criticism, stay home. That applies to everything in life as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heaven forbid her other son have interests in other schools

Oct 19, 2010, 5:57 PM

I hardly read your posts anymore because I just expect some off-the-wall, amateur comment with no basis. It seems things haven't changed.

Glad someone else sees this same crap in this guy that I see***

Oct 19, 2010, 5:59 PM

Wow, man you never cease to amaze me with your

Oct 19, 2010, 5:57 PM [ in reply to so, if she's all in, why is her other son elsewhere for an ]

negativity towards our program. Are you the same guy that used to plague this board under the handle "UT"?

Because if you are, man I sure don't miss reading your posts at all. Your videos are cool and all, but your outlook on life and tiger football is just plain rediculous sometimes.

Clemson is special because it has less people with your

Oct 19, 2010, 6:05 PM [ in reply to so, if she's all in, why is her other son elsewhere for an ]

outlook than most other sports programs.

Re: so, if she's all in, why is her other son elsewhere for an

Oct 19, 2010, 6:20 PM [ in reply to so, if she's all in, why is her other son elsewhere for an ]

gosh uttles, not everyone has your physical abilities in this game. maybe kyles brother is just not in your league. oh wait, i saw you play. talk about uncompetitive. your picture is beside that word in websters.

She never said she didn't want to hear it, she just said she

Oct 20, 2010, 12:02 PM [ in reply to so, if she's all in, why is her other son elsewhere for an ]

would be there cheering on all the players. Notice she didn't once take the bait last week and talk back to any of the hecklers?

Re: Kyle's Mother Tells It Like It Is..and Clemson Wins Big

Oct 19, 2010, 5:55 PM

Wow...what a story from Mrs Parker. Makes me sick to think I've been down on Kyle's overall play even though I knew he was hurt (with possible broken rib).

Enjoyed hearing about John Riggs and wife telling the world and the Parker's about Clemson...and causing Kyle to attend Clemson.

Cathy Parker and her family are more classy than I ever knew. Thanks for allowing your son to attend and play two sports with the Tigers...and feeling so close to Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GREAT POST

Oct 19, 2010, 5:58 PM

Thank you.

63-17

nice piece, not simply for its message, but for its ability

Oct 19, 2010, 6:03 PM

to draw out the true aholes on this board.

well done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ain't it so,***

Oct 19, 2010, 6:12 PM

Photobucket

You got that right.***

Oct 19, 2010, 8:03 PM [ in reply to nice piece, not simply for its message, but for its ability ]

Re: Kyle's Mom Speaks Out - Everyone Should Read

Oct 19, 2010, 6:11 PM

I have been a Tiger since I was around eight years old, and I went to my first game in 60's Clemson beat Wake that day as I played on the hill with the other children. It was simpler time back then people loved Clemson because it was Clemson. Not because of Football, Baseball, Baseball or the other Athletic programs. Clemson has always had a competive nature. It roots are grounded in the military with a tradition that was service oriented. Nation, State, and students. and I think alot of those ideals are still there, but people of this day are selfish, immature and misguided. Pretty much the reflection of our nation as a whole. I thank god for those in this country who know the truth and have the courage to speak. Funny thing about people is they are quick to judge the abilities of others even though most are not even qualified to speak out of their butt much less their mouth.

great post

Oct 19, 2010, 8:39 PM

I love Kyle Parker. He is a great kid and a truly good
athlete.
I agree with everything you said tho.

I think we all still love Clemson because it's Clemson.

Oct 19, 2010, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Kyle's Mom Speaks Out - Everyone Should Read ]

Being in Clemson for our worst loss ever would still be better than my best day at work, and it's because of what it means to me.

The difference is that in the era you were speaking of, if you were speaking positively or negatively about CU football, you were speaking positively or negatively about the University as a whole.

People don't see it that way ever since football programs have become a cash cow....the money involved and pseudo-professional atmosphere of it all have created a very transactional relationship with the program.

It's for that reason that it's extremely easy for someone with a completely clear conscience to declare their disdain for the football program and love for the University in the same breath.

"loose", lol!!84!!***

Oct 19, 2010, 6:33 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

A Little Different Perspective..................

Oct 19, 2010, 7:24 PM

I think it is really sweet what Mrs. Parker wrote.

BUT....

KP was recruited to play Football and sold out to baseball. She also speaks of fondness for Clemson, yet KP is leaving Clemson with 2 years of eligiblity left to go pro in another sport than what he was recruited for.

Look, the Parkers are fine people I am sure, but they are a sports family and this isn't thier ist rodeo. They used Clemson as an end to thier sons means and when he is gone, I seriously doublt he will show up around Tiger Town again. CJ on the other hand had every reason to leave early. He had a child, poor family, new coach, could have been a 1st rounder in his junior year, yet showed his true love for the University by finishing what he started and this University and its fans will love him back always.

I take Mrs Parkers word with a grain of salt.....I take CJ's as the word.

We will still be here for decades loveing and fighting for Clemson through good and bad times.....Will the Parkers?

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

you hit the nail on the head....

Oct 19, 2010, 8:15 PM

not to mention as his mom i expect her to cheer him no matter what.but me as a fan when he doesn't run for a first down when he has a clear lane or throws balls over guys heads who are wide open i have a right to get mad and criticis as well..not to mention one would have the right to question if he really wants to be here..look at how he is playing not to mention he has already signed a contract to play base ball so to me it leaves me to wonder does he really care what happens on the football field i mean he wont be back next year its not like hes playing to get drafted in the NFL.

Your possible good point

Oct 19, 2010, 9:17 PM

Was lost in your inability to punctuate correctly or find the shift key....

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

He accepted the football scholarship because we offered

Oct 19, 2010, 9:38 PM [ in reply to A Little Different Perspective.................. ]

him the chance to do both. Due to the limited $ for baseball scholarships, it was a blessing for the baseball team to be able to get him for free. He was recruited for BOTH.

That AND anyone that plays football cannot be on another

Oct 19, 2010, 9:47 PM

sports scholly list. That would be a great way to get around th scholly limit. So, if you have a two-sport scholly player, then football has to pay the scholly.

M. Bucholz was in the same situation.

Amazing how people can so easily attack someone

Oct 20, 2010, 9:55 AM

for being successful and doing what anyone here would do. However most would not have sacrificed so much dough just to play another year of football. The above poster gives no credit for that.

exactly...

Oct 20, 2010, 12:36 AM [ in reply to A Little Different Perspective.................. ]

all this "all in" nonsense is really just BS. It is an attempt to just excuse anything that happens because if you're unhappy, then you're not "all in." For Mrs. Parker to somehow claim the moral high ground here because some fans criticized her son or his coaches is just laughable. Welcome to reality, where people expect results for their investments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scholarship donations and investments are not the same.

Oct 20, 2010, 9:56 AM

NM

Thank you....

Oct 20, 2010, 10:19 AM [ in reply to A Little Different Perspective.................. ]

so, I cannot criticize him or the coaches now....because it might hurt mamma's and family's feelings? Fact is, he is not playing well.

And, you're right, I doubt we will EVER see Parker on CU's campus anytime in the near future after he waves goodbye and thanks everyone for the good times - just don't hurt his or his family's feelings by voicing your disappointment in this team.

If you think we're bad, go to a UGA game....they are really nasty!!

Yeah - great - use the leg humpers as a measuring stick.***

Oct 20, 2010, 10:37 AM

KP did NOT "sell out"...

Oct 20, 2010, 11:03 AM [ in reply to A Little Different Perspective.................. ]

He was recruited to play BOTH SPORTS, not just football. He had plenty of opportunities to go to other schools (or go pro in baseball) and honored his commitment to Clemson. Remember, he didn't HAVE to show up at all. He could have stayed in high school and taken the money he would have gotten as a 1st-3rd round draft pick and never set foot on campus like so many others. The Parkers "used Clemson" yet baseball players that sign and don't show up don't? What makes you think KP won't set foot on campus again?

He Would Be In The Majors Exclusively If the $$$ was right

Oct 20, 2010, 11:46 AM

Have you forgotten that KP and his family kept the Clemson Nation hostage while he was negotiating with the Rockies? There was a number that they were trying to get to and had the Rockies hit it, KP would havge been gone faster than a CJ SPiller Kickoff return.

I don't fault him for doing it, but I also resent Mrs. Parker calling the Clemson Nation out when "Little Kyle" and Dabo aren't living up to the sales pitch.

They didn't "hold Clemson Nation hostage"...

Oct 20, 2010, 11:59 AM

he decided to come back to Clemson on July 20, well before fall practice started. If the Rockies had met their demands (and if he'd gotten 3 million would you blame him for signing?) he would have left, but at least it was July instead of waiting until the last minute like so many players do. You ignore the fact that he gave up $800,000 in order to play football for Clemson this season. KP has given up more money in order to play for Clemson than many people will make in their lives. How convenient that you also ignore the fact that he showed up AT ALL, something he didn't have to do. Kyle Parker and his family are nothing but class and for you to hate him like you do is ludicrous.

Couple Of Things

Oct 20, 2010, 12:08 PM

First, July 20th was just a very short period prior to August Camp and if you think that is a "long time", then we just aren't going to agree on that.

Second, I don't blame KP for trying to get 3 Million to bolt from Clemson and leave us hanging. That is the way things fall. Just don't have you Mama sticking her fingers in our faces when you and your boy are negotiating to leave Clemson for a quick buck.

Also, CJ rsked a heck of a lot money than 800K to return. At the risk of careering ending injuries and the loss of millions of dollars, he came back.

What should they have done?...

Oct 20, 2010, 12:16 PM

Signed the minute he got back from Omaha? July 20 was nearly a MONTH before fall practice started, plenty of time for Tajh Boyd and Michael Wade to have prepared to be the starting quarterback. A "quick buck"? I guess the three years KP invested in the Clemson baseball program don't mean anything? You STILL fail to acknowledge that he didn't have to show up AT ALL; he could have taken the money out of HS. What did KP "owe" the Clemson fans? His mother has just as much right to "stick her fingers in our faces" as you do to bash him when he doesn't live up to your lofty expectations. KP has been nothing but classy concerning Clemson and if you can't understand that, then you have serious issues.

I honestly Could Care Less About What KP does..

Oct 20, 2010, 12:28 PM

Players come an go all of the time. I am happy that KP is talented enough to have so many options at his disposal. I think this family from Jacksonville is doing all of the things necessary to assure that their son gets the best deal possible. Clemson has been a fine stepping stone to meet his goals and I truly wish him well adn given the same option, I would probably do the same.

Now,calling out people that have lived, worked, cried, cheered, died, and have given their all to this little part of the world comes off to me rather "hollier-than-thou" in her critism of Clemson fans that see this as the Tommy Bowden 2.0 program. We have lost 3 winnable games in a row. KP has made some good throws but he has also stunk up the joint as well. We are not taking this program to the next level and itis getting a little old and some people may feel compelled to fuss about it.

Now you're lying...

Oct 20, 2010, 12:41 PM

You absolutely care what KP does and if it doesn't meet your standards, you're going to bash him for it. You STILL ignore the fact that he didn't have to show up AT ALL. What makes you think Clemson was just a "stepping stone" for KP? How do you know what he's going to do down the road? Should he turn around and write Clemson a check for $100,000 to prove his loyalty? She has every right to call out people that put down her son. You haven't given any more to Clemson than Kyle Parker has. You're pathetic.

If you want to Give KP a big sloppy kiss...fine

Oct 20, 2010, 12:49 PM

Give one to his mama too.

If KP would have went pro, then that would have been just fine. At least our 3-3 record would make sense with a totally new RS QB rather than this seasoned vet.

You can insult me all you want. You are the one coming unglued because some dared to called out the golden hair savior from Jax and his Mama.....

BTW, I really do love CJ

Oct 20, 2010, 11:08 AM [ in reply to A Little Different Perspective.................. ]

he truly has been a great ambassador to this university and I wish him all the success and happiness throughout his career and life.

Also, they should show his interview with Holly Rowe after the Ky bowl game last year to every potential recruit....now THAT put tears in my eyes.

It must be awesome to be so jaded. If KP wanted to

Oct 20, 2010, 11:27 AM [ in reply to A Little Different Perspective.................. ]

take the money and run, he could have. In many ways he had a better deal than CJ did after CJ's Junior year. KP had money in the bank and no more blind-side maulings from blitzing linebackers. CJ hadn't been drafted yet...who knows for sure where he would have ended up.

Besides, this isn't CJ vs. KP. CJ is great, and if you're going to demean everyone who falls short of CJ's example...well, you'll be busy.

Kyle's mom and her family gain absolutely nothing by writing that article if all they're doing with Clemson is punching their meal ticket. That is clearly not all there is to it. I applaud her article and her spirit.

null

woah woah, first let's not get on KP because he has no

Oct 20, 2010, 12:06 PM [ in reply to A Little Different Perspective.................. ]

children and his family is not poor, not exactly his fault or somthing to be ashamed of, neither should CJ be ashamed of his background. And furthermore KP already IS a number one pick in a sport and came back to risk injury, leaving money on the table to come back. As for what sport he was recruited for, I would say both, would you not?

Wealth is a good thing!

Oct 20, 2010, 1:27 PM

I've already got two children, now I'm just waiting on the wealth part to kick in.

Spot on, Mrs. Parker!!***

Oct 19, 2010, 9:17 PM

Well said, Mrs. Parker.***

Oct 19, 2010, 10:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a major problem with this.

Oct 20, 2010, 12:27 PM

I mean, the title of your post.

South Park has ruined the phrase "Kyle's Mom" for me. I read the title, and now all I can think of is:

"Weeeeeeeeeellllll, Kyle's mom's a...."

Not fair to Parker's Mom for sure.

I'd like to blame this on MojoRisin.

When does BlueCaddy log in and call her a moron or..

Oct 20, 2010, 1:25 PM

..accuse her of having a "mancrush" on him or say she "knows absolutely nothing about sports"?

You'll be able to tell when he puts his two-cents into every

Oct 20, 2010, 2:07 PM

post.

Good Read***

Oct 20, 2010, 1:36 PM

THUMBS UPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great!***

Oct 20, 2010, 2:19 PM

Replies: 74