Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A lack of respect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

A lack of respect

Sep 22, 2010, 11:29 AM

For the last few days I've browsed through umpteen posts about our loss to Auburn Saturday night. I'm encouraged by what I saw in regards to our toughness and excited by the reaction to the new attitude exhibited by our players.

One thing I have seen through these posts though is a total lack of respect for Tommy Bowden.

While I do understand that TB did not get us a championship at the conference level, I would like to remind those hurling the insults of a few things.

There are 3 huge figures in Clemson football that have made significant contributions to the program and school as a whole.

Frank Howard was a legendary, larger-than-life figure for someone like me. His last year as Clemson head coach was my first year playing football. I never saw the .580 winning percentage during his 39 years as a Clemson coach. All I knew were the quips that made him famous and the history of championships at Clemson.

Danny Ford recruited me as a player. One of my biggest years as far as recruiting was during the 1981 National Championship season. In my eyes, during that time, Coach was a God. I heard the whispers of violations, especially from Gamecock fans but it simply did not matter. And to this day it still doesn't. Coach instilled a brand of football that caused opposing teams to absolutely fear playing Clemson on a given Saturday. Whether in Death Valley or anywhere else.

While those two became legends for bringing championships to Clemson, Tommy Bowden was different.

During his 9 years, not once did Clemson win an ACC championship. Not once did we play in a major bowl game. What Tommy Bowden contributed was a change in the philosophy at Clemson in regards to the football program. We'd suffered through a decade of horrendous football under some other coaches and were at or near the bottom when discussing the national championship.

Tommy Bowden was able to do this because of the attitude from a university perspective. The West End Zone is obviously the highlight of the physical changes but once again, partly because of Bowden Bowls but mainly because we were winning again, Clemson University was talked about on Saturdays. And Tommy did all this with an impeccable record of recruiting great kids for our program.

Tommy Bowden's teams also supplied us with some unbelievable moments in Clemson Football history whether upsetting Miami in the Orange Bowl, beating poppa Bowden's teams or the sterling record vs the Gamecocks with HOF coaches Holtz and Spurrier. TB beat several coaches with national championships under their belts including Spurrier, Holtz, Bobby Bowden, Larry Coker, and Phil Fulmer.

TB laid the groundwork for the atmosphere Dabo is in right now. From the WEZ to the caliber of player we're now able to recruit, Tommy set the stage for a great era of Clemson football, far different than the attitude when he took over in 1999.

Respect what Tommy Bowden accomplished for the Clemson Tiger football program and stop with the childish insults.

Tommy Bowden simply doesn't deserve it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you here...

Sep 22, 2010, 11:44 AM

very well said

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Whoa whoa whoa

Sep 22, 2010, 11:45 AM

"There are 3 huge figures in Clemson football that have made significant contributions to the program and school as a whole."

Howard Ford and Bowden?

surely you jest?

I know, I can't believe he left out The Fridge

Sep 22, 2010, 12:04 PM

a truly huge figure in Clemson football history

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Whoa whoa whoa

Sep 22, 2010, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Whoa whoa whoa ]

If you were to name 3(at least on the coaching end) who would your third one be?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do I have to name three?***

Sep 22, 2010, 12:08 PM

Nobody said you have to do anything.Just asked a

Sep 22, 2010, 12:11 PM

question to see if you would like to add some intelligence to a discussion . Guess not.

I respect Coach Bowden but I would say there are only two

Sep 22, 2010, 12:14 PM

iconic figures in our history. The original poster chose three and I disagree. Hopefully that is intelligent enough for you.

Re: I respect Coach Bowden but I would say there are only two

Sep 22, 2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks for contributing your reasons- that is a lot more than just saying you disagree with no further information.Just saying that he "jests" made me seek more.

no problem ***

Sep 22, 2010, 12:19 PM

everything happens in 3s. strikes, wise men, father, son &

Sep 22, 2010, 12:56 PM [ in reply to why do I have to name three?*** ]

the holy ghost.

me and the double mint twins...

;)

3s dude. it's all about the 3s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm assuming you weren't paying attention

Sep 22, 2010, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Whoa whoa whoa ]

to what the state of Clemson football was in 1999?

the state of our facilities?

the level of recruit we were bringing in?

I think it was a huge turnaround for our program implemented by Tommy Bowden.

While USuC piled up rap sheets, Clemson built outstanding facilities and had solid, winning football seasons.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have missed maybe 5 home games since 1999 so yeah

Sep 22, 2010, 12:43 PM

I was paying #### close attention. But, as I stated above, there are only 2 huge figures in Clemson football history: Howard and Ford.

Coming from the guy with a Ken Hatfield Sig Picture?

Sep 22, 2010, 12:48 PM

You can thank TB that we're relevant now.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

I used to have an Alvin Greene sig, I guess you think I am

Sep 22, 2010, 12:49 PM

voting for him too? Good Lord, it's the internet, genius. And to say we can thank TB we are relevant now is beyond ludicrous.

^^^^^poppa's a coot^^^^^^***

Sep 22, 2010, 12:52 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thought poppa was a rollin stone?***

Sep 22, 2010, 12:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why are we relevant then?

Sep 22, 2010, 6:44 PM [ in reply to I used to have an Alvin Greene sig, I guess you think I am ]

Everyone whined and cried for years about Bowden making "excuses" in his press conferences, about if you build it, they will come, which was speaking of better facitlities. I don't care how good of a coach you are, if you don't have the studs, you do not win, period. After the WEZ project it seems to have really helped our recruiting tremedously.

Re: I have missed maybe 5 home games since 1999 so yeah

Sep 22, 2010, 2:06 PM [ in reply to I have missed maybe 5 home games since 1999 so yeah ]

That's your opinion and he has his. This is a great place to voice those. I actually agree with him. Maybe you can agree there were 2 in regards to results ON the football field and Tommy can be added when talking about other contributing factors. Tommy did do some great things for Clemson. You don't have to appreciate it, but some do. The only thing he couldn't do was get over "the hump". Hopefully Dabo can.

Re: A lack of respect

Sep 22, 2010, 11:47 AM

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Logic is sometimes a rare commodity on Tigernet.

Re: After Thinking About it...I CONCUR. Thx Coach Bowden.

Sep 22, 2010, 12:08 PM

Enough Said!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowden's bowls were a side effect of too many bowl games

Sep 22, 2010, 12:17 PM

which he earned by owning ACC foes Dook, UNC, NCSU, and WF.

His record against the other ACC teams was not very favorable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowden Bowls not Bowden's bowls

Sep 22, 2010, 12:21 PM

was referring to the Clemson FSU matchups. Gained us a ton of media attention during TBs years.

While I wouldn't put him the top 3 Clemson figures, I can't

Sep 22, 2010, 12:39 PM

say I disagree with the rest of your assessment.

Sep 22, 2010, 12:54 PM

I suspect that as the years wind on, Clemson fans' attitude towards Tommy Bowden will soften and he'll get more of the respect he deserves as a program builder and foundation-setter. Right now, the injuries are just a little too fresh. But in 10, 15, 20 years people will be able to look back with a more objective eye and see just how much he did to re-establish the program, if not necessarily bringing it back to the mountaintop. What he did allowed us to recruit people like Whitehurst, Gaines Adams, Davis, Spiller, and so on. His legacy will not be one of championships, but of foundations. While I'm not sure I'd put him in the Top 3, he is certainly an important and pivotal part of the program's history.

Well said Grover

Sep 22, 2010, 12:57 PM

I was about to say something like that (20 years down the road)

I try not to let my anger at some things cloud my vision of others. I'm actually pretty proud of what TB established at CU in spite of no championships.

Sep 22, 2010, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: A lack of respect ]

Jimmy Carter was a great president

Agreed. I think you said it very well. However, I still

Sep 22, 2010, 1:30 PM

hold a grudge for him pulling Reggie in the last drive of the '06 coot game. AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

as do I MD, I was first row behind CU bench

Sep 22, 2010, 1:32 PM

nearly jumped the wall for that one.

Re: Thanks for reclarifying things

Sep 22, 2010, 1:34 PM

While I was reading your post, I figured the naysayers would grab onto your numbers statement, & I'm sure there were others who made contributions who have been forgotten. While Bowden will never considered to be legend, from what I gathered you were stating that he "made significant contributions to the program & university" & that definitely is a fair assessment.

Fans rather by youth or memory tend to forget how dismal the 90's were around here, and without a doubt, Bowden did re-raise the level of facilities & recruiting necessary to compete in an ever-changing college football landscape. He may not have been the best locker-room coach, or conditions coach, who knows really, I think all the naysaying may have even made it more difficult for him get through to his players after awhile. Whose to say really.

Point is is that it's obvious he did care about Clemson, he did make the program better than it was, and perhaps the future coaches, staff, & players will be able to capitalize on the good things that he did do.

People tend to not take responsibility for some of the bullsh*t that comes flying out of their mouths or gets posted around here as fact, that gets passed down to younger generations, and, quite frankly, makes the program look worse than it actually is. I always hope future potential recruits aren't reading that garbage.

Thanks for the post.

nicely stated. Thank you

Sep 22, 2010, 1:45 PM

As in an earlier post, I do think 20 years from now he'll be looked at far differently than he is today.

The foundation is certainly there.

People tend to forget that football programs particularly

Sep 22, 2010, 2:02 PM

go through a constant process of change and "renovation" in order to compete on any level.

Agree 100%***

Sep 22, 2010, 1:52 PM

I agree TB brought back alot of talent in recruiting.

Sep 22, 2010, 1:53 PM

He also made us respectable. He rebuilt a program that was nearly dead in the 90's.

I agree TB rebuilt the program and brought us back to

Sep 22, 2010, 1:56 PM

respectability after the down fall of the 90's. He had us in the top 15 in recruiting about every year. While it was time for a change he needs to be respected.

Sep 22, 2010, 2:07 PM

I am one of those that can remember back that far and I completely agree with you.
Some folks took being thoughtful for not caring, not all people wear their emotions for all to see, does not mean they don't have them, I was raised in a family where you kept it to yourself if you wanted to be considered a man.
I was taught show what I had not shout about it.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

agreed, was brought up the same way

Sep 22, 2010, 2:42 PM

Lots of folks point to the lip quiver of Tommy's like it was a weakness.

My view was because he simply cared that much.

thank you for showing that there is still some class

Sep 22, 2010, 5:39 PM

in our "fanbase".

Re: thank you for showing that there is still some class

Sep 22, 2010, 5:45 PM

I believe it was timne to let Tommy Bowden go. The reason was simple, he could not get us to the next level. He did get us to the level we are now, and he should be remebered well for that. He did have some great wins, and he should be remebered for that. TB should always be a friend of Clemson.

He was a good person, just not a good game day coach***

Sep 22, 2010, 5:49 PM [ in reply to thank you for showing that there is still some class ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

nonetheless doesn't deserve the insults***

Sep 22, 2010, 6:09 PM

Who cares***

Sep 22, 2010, 6:29 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

anyone with any sense of decency***

Sep 22, 2010, 6:33 PM

Thanks Tommy...for 63-17.***

Sep 22, 2010, 9:57 PM

I have not ever, and will not ever respect Tommy Bowden***

Sep 22, 2010, 10:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure you'd have liked it much better if

Sep 22, 2010, 10:24 PM

our arrests outnumbered our championships as long as we had some.

at what point did expressing personality disorders

Sep 24, 2010, 6:55 AM [ in reply to I have not ever, and will not ever respect Tommy Bowden*** ]

not become embarrassing to these guys?

lets see, you most likely do not know the man and

Sep 24, 2010, 8:43 AM [ in reply to I have not ever, and will not ever respect Tommy Bowden*** ]

you have no respect for him? you have your opinion, but it is obviously based upon a really screwed up foundation.

Well Said!! There's a lot of trash that goes on around here

Sep 23, 2010, 12:53 AM

and the internet in general....

Bump***

Sep 23, 2010, 2:44 PM

Sep 24, 2010, 9:39 AM

I support all the men who are coaching the Clemson Tigers. I tend not to dog them while they hold the coaching reigns. I give the benefit of the doubt whenever I can. They are my guys.

Having said that, looking back over the past 9 head coaches, I can rank them on my own personal 'respect' scale pretty easily. Here's the way one old alumnus and fan sees the football coaches who have guided Clemson during my lifetime.

1. Coach Ford. Ford was the best Clemson football coach, so far, in my lifetime. He won the games. He made us count. And Coach Ford put his whole life, heart and soul into our corner. He still lives close. He still watches us play. He's a lifetime member of the Clemson family. He's number 1. (Yep, he had his faults.)

2. Coach Howard. Won a lot of championships. Shaped our expectations of being a football school, competing with the best and winning our share. When he was fired, he took it like a man, displayed no lack of support or gratitude, or animosity toward Clemson and went to work for Clemson every day until he died.

3. Coach Swinney. The current head coach will always rank high on my list. I support the coach. Additionally, Coach Swinney has done essentially everything I'd want a Clemson had coach to do but win enough games. His character, personality, and leadership style seem essentially perfect to me. He needs to win more games. He's got some years to get that aspect of his legacy established. Dabo is the man.

4. Tommy West. Coach West might not have been a very good football coach when he was at Clemson. Aside from that he did most things very well for Clemson. The week he was fired, he beat SC and was carried off the field on the shoulders of his team and his fans. I am not aware of any inappropriate remarks, attitude or malice Coach West has ever shown toward Clemson. He took his firing like an athlete who knew he hadn't done well enough and that he needed to be replaced. I like, admire and respect Tommy West, even while I don't think he's even remotely close to being a hall of fame type football coach.

5. Hootie Ingram. Coach Ingram did his best for Clemson. After 3 short years he figured out he was not a head coach and he quit and moved aside with grace and a good spirit. Coach Ingram moved on with his life, never disrespecting Clemson, the fan base or the chance he was given to be our coach. Again, he was not a great football coach, but I admire a lot about the man. And he gave us the Tiger Paw and he beat SC two out of three tries.

6. Charlie Pell. Pell was an excellent coach. He won most of his game and he gave us Danny Ford. He left us for Florida. He did not find the rules of recruiting to his liking and we paid a price for that. But he put our program on the map. And he put us on a path toward probation.

7. Red Parker. I'm nearly neutral of Red Parker. I don't think he was a very good coach. I don't have a strong impression of him as an ex coach. I'm neutral of Parker.

8. Tommy Bowden. Bowden is a decent man who was in way over his head at Clemson. Bowden is a principled fellow. He did a good thing when he stepped down mid-season. Coach Bowden had my support throughout his tenure at Clemson. Despite very good support from the fan base, Coach Bowden NEVER saw himself as one of us. Since he left, I have been dismayed that he has not accepted responsibility for not winning, that he packed up his family and moved away from the place that he lived longer than any other place in his life, dragging his kids away from the place they went to high school and college. Given great support for most of his tenure, Bowden never became a part of the Clemson family. He does not 'like' us any more than his father 'likes' FSU. In retrospect I think Tommy Bowden is almost entirely about himself and sees himself apart from the good people around him. Bowden is a principled fellow of very moderate coaching ability and a bit less leadership ability. I hope he comes to see his tenure at Clemson in a more realistic life and acknowleges his time here as the high point of his career. If he could embrace us, we could embrace him for what he was and forgive him for what he was not. If he's going to be haughty the rest of his life, he'll stay near the bottom of my list of ex-coaches.

9. Ken Hatfield. Hatfield was an excellent game day football coach. He made game day changes and adaptations that won games for us. He was a winning coach. But Hatfield was not the least bit of a great leader. He seemed not to like people. No one at his alma mater cried when he quit them to take our job. Darn few of us cared much when he left us. He did not get close to his players at Clemson, often not even knowing who was who. He inherited a solid top ten football program and his 3rd year he was next to last in a weak ACC. He abandoned our traditional recruiting territory and tried to get players from Ark, Texas and Oklahoma. At the end, having taken our program almost completely into the tank, he refused to accept respeonsibility for what he'd done. He demanded a contract extention when he knew he had not earned one and so made Clemson look bad. The balance of his career at Rice, he continued to look like a so so coach. To my knowledge he never returned to Clemson and has showed no affection or loyalty to his teams or players or the opportunity Clemson gave him.

Harley

While I don't necessarily disagree with your "rankings"

Sep 24, 2010, 9:59 AM

based on your standards, I must say what I posted was more of a contribution by the different coaches than how they are viewed as people.

I do think alot of what made TB "haughty" is directly related to treatment by a large portion of the fanbase here.

Tommy also was raised as a coach's son and saw for many years how his dad was treated at various points during his coaching career.

Regardless, TB made significant contributions to the program and university and we should be thankful for that.

Great, thoughtful post Harley. Thanks

Re: While I don't necessarily disagree with your "rankings"

Sep 24, 2010, 12:58 PM

The idea that any of the Bowdens got treated poorly strikes me as incorrect.

Tommy and Bobby Bowden spent their lifetimes telling this player he could play and another player he could not based on the ability of those individuals to contribute to the success of the team. They both 'cut' players every year. When it came time for them to be cut, and that time comes for all of us, they both protested, and to some extent or the other acted like what was happening to them was fickle or unwarranted. Tommy sort of deferred all criticisms during his career as fickle fan stuff. Tommy has actually been better in retirement that Bobby.

Still, I'd have strongly preferred it if both of them had said, with some humor and some truth, what the great Frank Howard said. "I quit on account of health reasons. I was making the alumni sick."

Tommy has good personal character. He conducted himself well and represented Clemson well while he was on the job. I hope he mellows some over time and comes to see his run at Clemson for what it was. He had a great opportunity. He did OK at it. We supported him in the job. After some time, it was time for him to move on. And after coming to that view, he should spend the rest of his days supporting Clemson. We gave him a big stage. We paid him extremely well. We came out by the millions to cheer his team. He needs to cheer the Clemson family and experience he enjoyed.

If Tommy makes that sort of change, he will rise several rungs on my list.

Harley

I don't disagree with you very much on this

Sep 24, 2010, 1:11 PM

however if you think college football coaches aren't put throught he wringer by the fans you're sorely mistaken.

Tigernet is a prime example of it.

To ignore Tommy's contributions to this program and university is at the least an example of some blind hate. Something I've seen far too much of on here

Re: A lack of respect? I don't think there is any way I

Sep 24, 2010, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: A lack of respect ]

could respect him less than he deserves.

I sat up here in TN with neither access nor time to surf the net to keep up with these particulars.

It looked to me like Bowden interviewed with Ark in order to get a contract extension. He got one and must have known what the offensive and defensive lines were going to look like the coming seasons. From the minimal coverage I got on local TV the whole thing looked to me like legal extortion.

The first thing Dabo did was teach the guys how to block and tackle.

I'd be glad to retract this entire post if it is not true.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2010, 5:54 PM

well said.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic