Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Danny Ford 1989
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Danny Ford 1989

Jul 31, 2010, 12:27 AM

Was just checking some old rosters (1989 specifically) and Danny had us set up for several years it seems. The defensive stars were all SO in his last year. Kirkland, McDaniel. Robert O'Neal was a Freshman. Lot of talent. He had us set up to win a National Championship. Maybe more than one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Danny Ford 1989

Jul 31, 2010, 1:02 AM

The 1989 and 90 teams were LOADED. Just sad that the 1990 was so poorly coached.

The sideline reporter at the West Virginia bowl game...

Jul 31, 2010, 1:24 AM

in 1989 (John Dockery I think) said something like "Clemson should be the preseason #1 next year" near the end of that game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we started 1990 ranked #2***

Jul 31, 2010, 7:09 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think we started 1990 ranked #2***

Jul 31, 2010, 7:30 AM

We started 2008 ranked #9,got spanked by Bama,and T.B.quit,resigned,whatever midway thru the season.So we started out #2,or # 9.Where did we finish,and does it really matter now?

Youngster...it did matter then..until they replaced Danny***

Jul 31, 2010, 7:53 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Youngster...it did matter then..until they replaced Danny***

Jul 31, 2010, 9:24 AM

A point I'v made many times on here when people try to give some love to Hatfield. KH used up all the talent left by DF, and when he left the talent cupboard was bare. TB finally got some quality talent and some depth back, but he lacked the will or the drive, and he was too unwilling to make staff changes to finish the job. Dabo is adding, and I believe he has the drive and the charisma to motivate the team to the next level. If he does, I hope we will be willing to pay him what it takes to keep him from jumping to a higher profile program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield lost to Virginia - 1st time ever in 1990

Jul 31, 2010, 9:20 PM

2nd game of the season. The only other loss was to guess who... freaking Ga Tech, whom we still can't beat.

Hatfield was never going to be accepted after losing the Virginia game in his first season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield never had a chance

Jul 31, 2010, 10:05 PM

Hatfield was never going to be excepted because everyone was so ticked at losing Ford. But Hatfield did little to help himself. He ran Arkansas down because he couldn't recruit, then the Clemson offer bailed him out before they hit bottom. Same thing pretty much happened at Clemson. In fact his lack of recruiting at Clemson probably doomed Tommy West before he ever got the job. Everyone wanted instant success with the closest Danny clone they could find, but the program was too far gone for a quick fix.

As far as Ford's dismissal. Robinson was made the fall guy, but he was just following orders. Ford also didn't do himself any favors by the comments he made at an Iptay meeting in Columbia by calling out the administration for not building a showplace type dorm for football. Ford was playing a political power game with his boss and lost. I also don't think it helped matters that the NCAA was sniffing around again due to the Michael Carr rumors. At that point the presidesnt decided it was time to show who was in charge. And then to show the world just how squeky clean Clemson wanted ti be, they brought us Ken Hatfield, which may have been one of the worst hiring decisions of all time. And one that has not been recovered from as of yet.

Wonder how things would have turned out for Fisher Deberry

Jul 31, 2010, 10:09 PM

I think his personality would have fit the program better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield sucked. That's the reason he ended up at Rice and

Aug 1, 2010, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Hatfield never had a chance ]

and retired (never wanted elsewhere) with a horrible 55–78–1 record. He was 1–10 season in his final season and only had three winning seasons in 12 years.

Yet again, your made up versions of reality are comical.

Well said, That was a different era. Maybe we will see it

Jul 31, 2010, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Youngster...it did matter then..until they replaced Danny*** ]

again.

We finished #9 in 1990 and #1 in total defense***

Jul 31, 2010, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I think we started 1990 ranked #2*** ]

Jul 31, 2010, 6:18 AM

There may have been a lot of talent,and Ford might have had you set up to win a National Title,maybe more,but you didn't and he resigned in 1990.So what's your point?

his point is Ford had Clemson loaded with...

Jul 31, 2010, 6:47 AM

talent. Which is pretty obvious by reading his post. So whats your point? I think your point your team the shamecocks fired sparky woods inexplicably after a 6-5 season(which is not bad for one of the worst programs in the history of college football), who at this point had the same record as frank beamer. Then your team hired Brad Scott who recruited good but had absolutely no head coaching ability which ended his tenure with a 1-10 record. Then your school hired a has been coach which continued the unsuccess of brad scott with an 0-11 season, which culminated a 21 game losing streak, one of longest losing streaks ever in d1 football. During Holtz's tenure there many ncaa violations including academic ineligible players, players parents receiving money, players loaned cadillac escalades from athletic boosters, academic administrators changing grades for football players. Yet with all this cheating Holtz's last two seasons the shamecocks were 5-7 and 6-5. After Holtz retired, the shamecocks hired another has been steve spurrier, after 5 seasons and highly rated recruiting classes the best the shamecocks could do last season was 7-6 with an embarrassing loss to uconn, which even your sec promoters on espn made fun of. Yes I think that was your point.

Re: his point is Ford had Clemson loaded with...

Jul 31, 2010, 7:11 AM

First off I'm not a Shamecock,and all of this happened 21 years ago.Danny Ford is history ,old history,yet some of you just can't seem to let the past go,can you? It has nothing to do with Sparky,Brad,Lou,or Steve,or any of the past coaches that Clemson has hired,or fired.It's all old news,ancient history,a different era ,and time.That's my point!

This is a Clemson board....

Jul 31, 2010, 7:31 AM

so of course from time to time people will talk about the past. His post had absolutely nothing to do with not letting go of Danny Ford. No where in his post did he say bring Danny Ford back. In my post I criticized our offense for having a weak passing game. So where do you get this not letting go of Danny Ford from? If you see a post talking about past Clemson teams then don't read it or don't respond to it. Do you honestly think on a Clemson board no one will ever talk about past teams or past players or coaches? Stop whining.

Re: This is a Clemson board....

Jul 31, 2010, 7:46 AM

Some people just wake up every morning with lumps in their grits !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is a Clemson board....

Jul 31, 2010, 8:07 AM [ in reply to This is a Clemson board.... ]

I'm not whinning,and I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO READ IT OR RESPOND TO IT HOWEVER I WANT.So if you don't like my comments,THEN DON'T READ THEM OR RESPOND TO THEM.

3331***

Jul 31, 2010, 10:07 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: his point is Ford had Clemson loaded with...

Jul 31, 2010, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Re: his point is Ford had Clemson loaded with... ]

New news ! Since when did B or Crump appoint you to monitor t-net. To intrude into someones thoughts of the past. Reminiscing of the the past is allowed on t-net. If he would have been reminiscing of a bad time in Tiger history, you would'nt have posted a ### thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another one joins the list

Jul 31, 2010, 8:53 AM

Not you, but leftie. Although you came across as somewhat hypocritical in this very thread, there were much worse to deal with. ;)

http://thetigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=9315457#9315457

Jul 31, 2010, 7:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford 1989 ]

His point is suc it !!!

That 1989 team could have won a national title....

Jul 31, 2010, 6:57 AM

Thinking back I think this was the point in time in college football when being a run only team started to limit your effectiveness offensively. If we would have had a self sufficient passing attack in 1989 we would have been undefeated in the regular season. In both losses to Duke and Ga tech they limited our running game and not having a self sufficient passing game cost us both those games. We were more talented than duke and ga tech. Both of those loses were tough that year, i had really thought we could have won a national title that year. Our Defense was aggressive and suffocating and our running game was almost unstoppable. I was there at the gator bowl that year when we absolutely dominated west virginia(and west virginia was one of the best teams in the country), that was one of the most favorite games I ever attended. Those were the days, when almost every team hated and feared to play us, and we could play with anybody in the country.

Re: That 1989 team could have won a national title....

Jul 31, 2010, 7:12 AM

Could have but didn't.End of discussion.

No doubt

Jul 31, 2010, 7:39 AM

I have said it before and will say it again:

http://thetigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=9263749

Was the greatest Clemson coach EVER!!!***

Jul 31, 2010, 7:45 AM

Re: Was the greatest Clemson coach EVER!!!***

Jul 31, 2010, 9:06 AM

well at least we beat usuc 45-0!!!!!! In 1989

NEVER will forget it!!

Jul 31, 2010, 9:58 AM

As a little kid, I attended my first Clemson football game against GT in 1987. In 1988, I attended my first Clemson/SCar game. In 1989, I wanted to go to my first road game so bad, and "see South Carolina's stadium," I begged my dad to get us some tickets. He gave in, and got tickets for my whole family in the Clemson section. I remember running into my aunt and cousin before the game, my mom's side, who were diehard coots. Some Gamecock fan jumped on my Aunt for talking to "those people in orange." My Aunt said "that's my sister," and the coot walked away. At halftime it was 24-0 I believe, and all the garnet was heading down the ramps of Williams Brice. We stayed the whole game, and at the end of the game nothing was left but orange, with maybe 5% garnet hanging around. Going down the ramps, these guys kept yelling cock-a-doodle-doo, cock-a-doodle-doo, Carolina Gamecocks the he** will you! I wanted to join in the chant so badly, but my mom looked at me like "Don't you dare!" Because there was a "bad word" in the chant. There was a redneck coot with a garnet jersey walking right beside those guys chanting, and if looks could kill, my mom was afraid they were going to fight.

I had the most fun that night I had ever had at a sporting event, and most I thought I would ever have, and then 2003 came along. Me and a buddy debated all morning whether to go down to the game or not, as we did not have tix. But then we figured what the hey, let's head on down. Both of us wore neutral shirts over our orange shirts, and both of us bought single tickets from two different coot fans. The one I bought mine from said, "now you are not a Clemson fan are you?" I laughed and said, "no I hate those orange clad morons!" The coot said "alright!"

Long story short, the tickets happened to be in the same gate, and there was access to the Clemson section from where we were. We met up and stood in front of the Clemson cheerleaders all night long! I never thought nothing would top the 45 point drilling of 1989, but this time, in this 46 point drilling, my friend and I were old enough to start the cock-a-doodle-doo chant! I actually felt guilty getting that started, because for some crazy reason I felt sorry for the coots who stayed for that entire beat down!

In some ways 45-0 was better than 63-17.***

Jul 31, 2010, 10:08 PM

It is debatable

Jul 31, 2010, 10:15 PM

The thing about 45-0 was the big goose egg on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

63 points is a lot of points to score. You might expect to get that against a Coastal Carolina or PC at home, but normally the coaches call off the dogs before it gets quite that far. To score that on the road against your rivals, and even Bowden still had to call off the dogs, was pretty unheard of these days. I think if he had really wanted too, Bowden may have been able to crack 80 in that game, had he really kept looking at the playbook and going at it.

Clemson was set for 89 and after....the 91 team was the best

Jul 31, 2010, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Was the greatest Clemson coach EVER!!!*** ]

The 91 team may have had more sheer talent than any at Clemson. But by that time the Ken Hatfield mistake had just begun to rear its ugly head.

Was Danny the best coach ever at Clemson? The results say yes. And I think it is obvious that he was the best fit ever with the masses. If you could take a vote of the fans as to who they would like to see as head coach for the next season, Danny would win by a landside. Clemson needs to put him in the ring of honor while the man is still young enough to enjoy it.

Just reminded me how much I dislike Bobby Robinson

Jul 31, 2010, 9:42 AM

He destroyed us over what still appears to have been a jeoulous self serving power struggle.

Driven by Bobby's witch-hunt, the so-called second wave of recruiting violations by Danny turned up one or two assistant coaches handing off as little as $50 to a player as best I remember. It was a complete joke. And rather than having buildings named afer him, Robinson should be tarred and feathered.

Re I hate to hear his name.***

Jul 31, 2010, 9:50 AM

Robinson set the whole athletic program back 30 years.***

Jul 31, 2010, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Just reminded me how much I dislike Bobby Robinson ]

The Ford thing aside, Robinson did a much better

Jul 31, 2010, 2:14 PM

job than Terry Don Phillips has done. Under Phillips are women's basketball program went from being consistently good to being consistently terrible(after he forced Jim Davis to retire and replaced him with an incompetent coach). Our men's soccer team is no longer the powerhouse it used to be. He is starting to cut certain sports teams all together(swimming). Phillips didn't even show up for the last tennis match for long time tennis coach Chuck Kriese. I hated Robinson alot for how Ford was forced out, but at the same time Ford shared some of the blame too for getting himself forced out. The situation between Ford and Robinson was two grown men who couldn't let go of their pride and sit down and have a reasonable discussion to smooth things out. And that hurt both of their careers. Robinson had to go the rest of his time at Clemson with a large segment of the fan base hating him and Ford ended up at Arkansas which is state that lacked the instate talent base to be consistently good like he had at Clemson.

Surely Bobby Robinson didn't have the power to oust Danny

Jul 31, 2010, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Just reminded me how much I dislike Bobby Robinson ]

... I've always thought it came from higher up ... Max Lennon and the Board of Trustees would have had to give the order.

I thought the power struggle was between Lennon and Ford, not Robinson. Robinson was just the guy who had to carry out orders from higher ups. I never saw Robinson as a guy with a big ego.

Not saying I know for sure, it's just how I heard it back in the day and it makes sense to me.

I think you are totally correct in you assessment.***

Jul 31, 2010, 10:11 PM

Did he recruit a quarterback capable of winning the

Jul 31, 2010, 9:54 AM

national championship?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did he recruit a quarterback capable of winning the

Jul 31, 2010, 11:13 AM

I doubt that there is one college football 'expert' in the entire world who thought that Homer Jordan would be that kind of qb. Just goes to show you that successful teams are not necessarily built around the signal caller. A bad As$ offensive line is an absolute necessity however. I echo all the thoughts about B. Robinson that some of you have. He and TB belong in the same 'hall of shame'. Hopefully, those days are behind Clemson forever. GO DABO!! ! !

Dechane Cameron was pretty good for us***

Jul 31, 2010, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Did he recruit a quarterback capable of winning the ]

Yes. Obviously Homer Jordan, but Eppley, Williams, Carr,

Jul 31, 2010, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Did he recruit a quarterback capable of winning the ]

Brogna, were highly desired by many.

Aug 1, 2010, 10:33 PM

I will never forgive Robinson and Lennon for what did to Danny Ford and Clemson football. Had Ford stayed at Clemson, he would now be one of the all time best coaches and Clemson would be up there with Florida and Alabama. Lennon/Robinson set us back several generations. Cac we ever recover?

I would have loved for Ford to hung around

Aug 1, 2010, 10:37 PM

But he played his part in that entire fiasco too.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic