Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Grading our coaching hires
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Grading our coaching hires

Jul 3, 2010, 1:21 AM

On a boring Friday night, when it seems like everyone I know is out of town, I have been thinking about the hires that our administration has made in my lifetime, or since I started following Clemson sports, which dates back to 1987, when I attended my first football and basketball games for the first time as a youngster. I will give our athletic directors/presidents the following grades for the following hires, and these only pertain to football, basketball, and baseball, because those are the only sports I really keep up with. Since this involves three Clemson sports, I am putting this in the forum of the most popular sport we have, which is football.

Jack Leggett B+
I have to be a little tougher on Leggett than the others I am about to mention. Leggett is the only coach here, besides Hatfield, that walked into a situation where the program was already established, and already had good players. Leggett has continued the success Bill Wilhelm had. Making it to Omaha at least once every five years is something a lot of college baseball programs cannot say. But unfortunately for Leggett, if he ever leaves Clemson without a CWS title, many will only remember him for 2002 and 2010. I hope we win a CWS under Leggett, because it would be a shame for him to only be remembered for 0-4 against South Carolina in Omaha, and not all of the good he has done for our baseball team. But I think if he can ever win a CWS at CU, then those bad memories from him will quickly disappear. They may always be in the back of people's minds, but if he wins a CWS, then at least that will be his legacy, instead of two nightmares in Omaha.

Ken Hatfield F-
He completely ruined a program that was on the national scene when he took over, and within four years was recruiting against SoCon teams for players. That’s really all that needs to be said about him.

Tommy West C-
West was not a horrible coach, and he did not walk into a good situation like Hatfield did. He was brought in to clean up Hatfield's mess, but after a 3-8 season, even though most of the losses were close, 3-8 is 3-8. Had he gone 6-5, he may have kept his job another year or two.

Rick Barnes A-
This was a good hire, and Barnes brought a lot of excitement to Clemson basketball. You have to put your hatred towards him aside, if you have any, and grade what he did while at Clemson. It’s hard to respect him because he ran to a school to avoid playing Duke and UNC every year. He obviously was not up to the challenge. My best memories of him are the sweet 16 in '97, and the way he turned the Clemson/UNC games into a bitter rivalry. There were nearly a couple of all out brawls that took place between Clemson/UNC under Barnes, not just between the players, but coaches as well. Being a UNC hater, I enjoyed the hate we had between us while Barnes was coach.

Larry Shyatt F-
This had to be the worst coach in any Clemson sport in the history of Clemson athletics. Only one good memory was when his team upset number one UNC in 2000. I do not think UNC basketball recovered from that loss until they hired Roy Williams. They were never the same again until Williams took over. But despite that, I still give him the worst grade possible. And thank you, Larry, for having to be our coach when I was a student. Besides that one fluke win over UNC, I had to endure watching teams like Wofford, Winthrop, Western Carolina, Yale, Wisconsin Green Bay, and many others beat us.

Tommy Bowden C+
Like West, Bowden was not a horrible coach, but not a great one either. He was given plenty of time just to do one simple thing, win an ACC title. My best memories of Bowden will be his domination over South Carolina, 63-17, Bowden bowls, and the fact that he never had a losing season. Worst memories are the roller coaster rides he put all Clemson fans on. Like beating Miami on the road one week, and losing to Duke the next. Obviously he was not capable of getting the players up for every game.

Oliver Purnell A-
If I am going to give Barnes an A-, then I should Purnell as well. Barnes did not walk into a great situation at Clemson, but he also didn't walk into cleaning up a program that, prior to him, had the worst Clemson sports coach ever. Having to rebuild a program where he had to clean up all of the Shyatt, and a program that does not have any history to brag about, and taking them to three straight NCAA tournaments, would even be a tough task for Dean Smith, Coach K, or John Wooden. And unlike Barnes, I don't think Purnell left because he was running from the tobacco road bias. I think he left because he felt he had done all he could do here. But, we will likely never know for sure. He should have left in a better manner than he did, he at least owed that to his players, but, I have heard reasons that he was upset with Clemson that many are not aware of. My friend met Billy Napier a couple of months ago, even had lunch with him, and spoke with him for quite a while. He said Billy Napier told him this: And I think he said it was before Purnell went to see the final four, but not positive about that. Purnell walked into his office one morning and found a note on his door, and it said that Clemson would no longer pay for Purnell's wife's plane ticket, and Purnell was very offended by it. And I know, I heard this from my neighbor's son's friend's cousin's wife's dog. I have no proof this is true, but my friend would also have no reason to lie. Perhaps Napier himself heard that as a rumor, or misunderstood something that was said.

Dabo Swinney N/A
Swinney has not been here long enough for us to see what he can do with HIS player’s, not any of Bowden’s. But, if I HAD to give him a grade right now, it would be in the high B range. Had he not lost to South Carolina, I would put it in the low A range The 2008 season could have turned out to be a disaster. We came into that year with a top ten ranking, but were taken to the woodshed by ‘Bama in the Georgia Dome in game one. Tommy Bowden resigned early in that season, and the team could have easily just given up on that year altogether. You have to give Swinney props for keeping that team focused, and beating up on our arch rival, and going to a bowl game. In his first full year, he won the division we are in, and took us to within a couple of minutes of being in a BCS bowl game. I personally still think we should have found a way to beat GT late in the fourth quarter of the title game. At this point, our defense had seen GT’s offense for 8 quarters in the same season. After seeing them that many quarters, you would think we would have found a way to stop them just once. I know the refs did not help, but I still think we should have found a way to win, especially since we had already seen GT that year. Losing to our arch rival in our home away from home is not something Clemson nation is used to seeing. I bet Swinney does not want to be the first Clemson coach to lose to the coots two years in a row in 40 years. We will start seeing what Dabo is made of in his second full year, with no CJ Spiller, Jacoby Ford, or Kyle Parker(I am assuming). If he beats our arch rival, and wins 8 games or more this year, that will be quite an accomplishment, considering the players we lost. And with Swinney being an Alabama grad/former player, I have to wonder if beating Auburn will be more important to him than beating SCAR. I hope that is not the case, every Clemson coach should know beyond a shadow of a doubt that beating SCAR will be more important to our fans.

Brad Brownell N/A
Has not coached his first game at Clemson yet. He is walking into a pretty good situation. Not great, considering we lost big Booker, but still pretty good.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Grading our coaching hires

Jul 3, 2010, 2:05 AM

It was STUNNING the difference in the team with Ford and Hatfield. They played with no discipline or fire. It was just shocking to watch.

I'd give Bowden a grade of

Jul 3, 2010, 2:18 AM

B.

He improved recruiting tremendously (maybe most of it due to the WEZ and facilities upgrade). He beat FSU, although not the same FSU of the 90's. He was like 8-2 against SCar. He simply did not win the ACC. He also lost bowl games, but many of those bowl games, we did not deserve to be at, but "faxed" our way to them.

I still think Bowden, if we end up winning the ACC by some miracle this year or next, should be given some credit for having our team in the position they are in. His loyalty to certain coaches (ahemm.. Spence) also killed him. I hope the same thing isn't gonna kill Dabo.

Re: I'd give Bowden a grade of

Jul 3, 2010, 2:40 AM

Yeah, a grade of B or B- may be appropriate for Bowden. He gave us the biggest roller coaster ride of any coach I can remember. I mean 2003 he lost to Wake Forest 45-17, but beat South Carolina 63-17. I understand that upsets happen, but never in my life would I have pictured Wake beating us that bad.

And then the next year he goes down to Miami, and we defeat the Canes in overtime. Exactly one week later, we lose to Duke. And there are many more games I could point out as well. His domination of the coots will be something I will always love him for.

I would have given Leggett an A- had it not been for us losing four times to the coots in Omaha, after the team proved both of those years they could beat SCAR. The 2002 team beat them 3 out of 4 in the regular season, but when it counted the most, we got humiliated. And then the same happened this year. But to me, this year was not as upsetting as 2002. According to most of the 'experts,' we should have never made it out of the Auburn regional. In 2002 we were the number one seed, and let the coots beat us twice in dominating fashion. I think Leggett and the whole team got cocky that year, and were looking past the coots to the title game against Texas. 2010 is more forgivable than 2002 was. 2010 we just lost to the better team. With 2002, the only words I can think of are choke job and looking ahead.

Re: I'd give Bowden a grade of

Jul 3, 2010, 11:36 AM [ in reply to I'd give Bowden a grade of ]

Once Bowden took Merriweather out of the game that was the most important of the year and explained it by "going with the hot hand" he earned a grade of Z- from me. Every posative thing that he MAY have done during his tenure as a so called coach ended with that stupid move. No coach can be that dumb!

Agree. Good not great. For me that's a B.***

Jul 3, 2010, 3:12 PM [ in reply to I'd give Bowden a grade of ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where do you get making the CWS once every 5 years for

Jul 3, 2010, 8:02 AM

Leggett? He has made it 6 times in 17 years which is better than a one in a three year clip. This is much better than Wilhelm making it once every six years.

You have to give this hire an A. Do you think Mike Martin would get a B+ at FSU just because he lost to Miami in the CWS a few times?

It's Mickey Mouse to give the hire a lower rating because of who he lost to in the CWS.

TB should get a B-, and Hatfield should at least get as high as West.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree big time on Leggett--what a great coach

Jul 3, 2010, 9:06 AM

he is. He has taken the Wilhelm legacy and run with it and in the meantime his ex-players and assistants are heading up programs all over the southeast.

Hatfield I have to grade way down because of where he started and where he finished. Our program was a shadow by the time he left. Tommy West was left to pick up the pieces and did OK for a UT Chattanooga guy in way over his head.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

I agree.....especially on Coach Leggett.....any grade less

Jul 3, 2010, 12:26 PM

than an A is simply more knee-jerk reaction by those unable (or too young) to see the overall picture.

Clemson fans continue to catch crap from opposing fans because Hatfield, who had a winning record at the time, was "run off"....any Clemson fan who was around during the Hatfield era knows what he did to a program that was capable of contending for an NC most years.

Still, its hard for this old-timer to rank Hatfield below Hootie Ingram. Hatfield at least had some conception about his profession. Ingram, to the best of my knowledge, didn't coach in what amounted to Division 1 the rest of his life.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where do you get making the CWS once every 5 years for

Jul 3, 2010, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Where do you get making the CWS once every 5 years for ]

I agree with most of that take with the HUGE exception of Hatfield. Hatfield came into a program that was Preseason #3 in the country and expected to content for a National Title... 3 years later he went 5-6 for the first losing season in about 15 yrs or so? He was just flat out horrible. West did at least improve a bit and win a couple bowl games when coming into a program that was in Shambles... We are STILL trying to recover from what Hatfield did to the program... No way he gets more than a F- in my book... West might not be a C or better but he was better than Hatfield.

Re: Where do you get making the CWS once every 5 years for

Jul 3, 2010, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Where do you get making the CWS once every 5 years for ]

Well, I wasn't exactly sure how many times Leggett had made the CWS while at Clemson, so I guess you do have a good point on that one. I followed Clemson baseball in the nineties, but for some reason I did not heavily get into it until the 2000s. I just cannot remember Clemson or South Carolina fans getting that heavily into baseball until the early 2000s, and I have been following Clemson sports since '87. Maybe I am wrong about that, but in the nineties baseball was a sport that I would find out the results of the next morning in the newspaper whether we had won or lost. The internet has a lot to do with things now, and maybe had the internet been around in the entire nineties like it has in the 2000s, I would have kept up with baseball better.

I think it was back in 1996 or 1997, that both Clemson and South Carolina had good basketball teams, and both made it to the NCAA tournament in the same year. I think that's the only time that has ever happened. I remember going down to Columbia for the Clemson/SCAR basketball game that year, and it was very intense. Much more so than CU/SCAR basketball games are now. Clemson made it to the NCAA tournament that year as either a 4 or 5 seed, and got upset by, I think Western Michigan in the first round. South Carolina made it as a number two seed. They went 15-1 in SEC regular season play that year, being the dominant team in the SEC. But number 15 seed Coppin State knocked them out in the first round. I remember telling a good friend of mine back then that if Clemson and SCAR keep this basketball success up every year, then this basketball rivalry is going to become bigger than it's ever been before.

I can't remember when SCAR hired Ray Tanner, and I do not even remember who their coach was before Ray Tanner. But in the early 2000s, especially 2002, baseball became the second biggest rivalry in this state, ahead of basketball. No sport will ever be bigger than football, but in the past ten years, baseball in this state has really taken off.

As far as grading Leggett, I think he deserves an A, because making it to Omaha is the equivalent of making it to the final four in basketball. But you have to admit, Clemson nation just absolutely does not accept losing to the Gamecocks, especially when something big is on the line. A coaches success at Clemson is going to be measured by wins, championships, and beating the Gamecocks. Do I think that is fair? No, but the average Clemson or South Carolina fans, at least the ones I have met, look at the success of their coach by what they have done against their rival. Does anyone honestly think Tommy Bowden would have been here for ten years had it not been for his success against the Gamecocks? Bowden was on his way out the door in 2003 after that Wake game, I have no doubt in my mind about that. Then he beat FSU, but had he lost to South Carolina, especially by a huge margin like he did against Wake, I still say he was out the door, despite beating FSU. Taking that 2003 team down to Columbia and putting 63 points on the scoreboard is absolutely what saved his job, despite the outcome of the bowl game against Tenn. There is no way Clemson would have fired a coach after he humiliated our biggest rival. I remember driving home from Columbia that night, listening to sports talk shows about the game that night, and even Kornblut said "no way Bowden loses his job now, no way they can justify firing him after this."

But, back to Leggett. Yes, I think he deserves an A, but losing to South Carolina in Omaha, with a national title on the line, will never be forgotten, just like 63-17 will never be forgotten. When I thought up these grades I was thinking what the average Clemson fan's opinion would be, not necessarily just mine. Our rivalry with South Carolina is way too bitter, and I wish it wasn't that way. I have heard fans from both sides say that they would rather be 1-11, and beat South Carolina or Clemson, rather than 7-5 or 8-4, and lose to them. I do not feel that way, but you would be surprised at the number of people who do.

And I have to completely disagree with you that Hatfield should be as high as West. Ken Hatfield ruined a program that was on the national radar, Tommy West did not. Tommy West was brought in to clean up the mess that Hatfield had created. When we went 3-8 in 1998, that was probably one of the best 3-8 teams ever. We lost five games that season by a touchdown or less. That means we lost five games that we were competitive in, and could have won. That team finished 3-8, but was capable of finishing 6-5 to 8-3, had a play or two gone our way in those five close losses. It's not like that team got blown out every game by 5 or 6 touchdowns. The very next year Tommy Bowden came in, and we played the second toughest schedule in the nation that year. There were three teams that finished unbeaten in the regular season that year, Marshall, VT, and FSU. Clemson was the only team in the country to play all three of them. And Clemson nearly beat them as well. We lost to Marshall and FSU by three, and the VT game was close, until they scored a couple of late touchdowns in the last couple of minutes. That game was in doubt with under five minutes to play. And Bowden was playing with Tommy West's players that year.

Re: In all fairness, Bowden deserves better than that.***

Jul 3, 2010, 1:55 PM

Leggett: A. Bowden: B+. West: D.

Jul 3, 2010, 2:11 PM

I wish I could say that you're being too hard on Larry Shyatt. I liked the guy, but it did appear he was in over his head. Glad he's had his success as an assistant.

null

Re: Grading our coaching hires

Jul 3, 2010, 2:55 PM

I agree with everything you say except I'd give Bowden a high D because of inconsistency and my peception of the lack of motivation in many games he should have won. Most people beat USuCk anyway, but the total domination his teams had over them saved him from a high F.

Never had a losing season. At least worth a C- on that alone***

Jul 3, 2010, 4:29 PM

CTB- a C or C plus

Jul 3, 2010, 5:33 PM

on overall record did many things much better but often gamedays were not one of them. He did much more with less when RR was with him. After that it was nothing real outstanding overall from a w/l standpoint

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowden and Leggett

Jul 3, 2010, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Grading our coaching hires ]

Hmmmmm, SCAR has not exactly been a historical program by any means, but I wouldn't dismiss what Bowden accomplished against them. You say most teams beat them anyway, well, let's see here:

You are right about that concerning their 1999 team, but not all of their teams after that:

SCAR record:

1999 0-11
2000 8-4
2001 9-3
2002 5-7
2003 5-7
2004 6-5
2005 7-5
2006 8-5
2007 6-6

In 2008 they went 7-6, and we beat them that year as well, and those were all Bowden's players that beat them, as he resigned early in the season that year.

But, when Bowden went up against them, he went 7-2. 6 out of 9 of their teams were .500 or better when playing against Bowden's teams. I would also give them an extra win just for being in the SEC, since it is the toughest conference. In other words, like in 2004, the year of the brawl, both Clemson and South Carolina came in with the same record, of 6-5. 6-5 in the SEC is about the equivalent to being 7-4, and some years maybe even 8-3 in the ACC. The two times Bowden lost to them, were both by five points or less. In 2001 they beat us 20-15, and we threw up a hail marry at the end of the game, and I don't think a lot of people realize how close we came to catching that ball and scoring. There were two Clemson players, and one South Carolina defender around the ball, and it deflected off one of the Clemson players hands, and came just a couple feet from landing in the other's hands, and if it had landed in his hands, no one was around, he would have ran it in for a TD. If that had happened, just one year after the "push-off" game, the Clemson fans and players would probably have needed police escorts to get out of that stadium, LOL. Then the other time Bowden lost to them, in 2006, we blew a 28-14 second half lead, and Jad Dean missed a last second field goal that would have sent it to overtime. But, the result was a 31-28 loss. Bowden could of easily gone 9-0 against those clowns.

Also, in 2000 and 2001, South Carolina did something to Georgia and Ohio State that they have not done to us in 40 years, and that is beat them twice in a row. The funny thing about that is, especially concerning Ohio State, is that is the only two times they have ever played. And they have not played UGA every year since 1970, the last time they beat us two in a row, either.

As for Jack Leggett, I will just say this. He has been an excellent coach for our baseball team, and one of the best in the country. But even the most optimistic Clemson fans cannot seriously tell me that there is not a dark cloud over his head. Every team that has a rival, especially an in-state rival, cannot stand to lose to them. Jack Leggett has done much more good for our team than bad, but those losses to our most hated rivals in Omaha are the worst that we have suffered in baseball, just because of who we lost too. If those had not happened, I would give Leggett a solid A. But if Leggett up and retired right now, then I am afraid whenever his name is brought up in the future, many would think of those nightmare losses in Omaha to our rivals. Those losses rank right there with basketball vs UCONN in 1990, as the worst in Clemson postseason history, just because of who we lost too. Leggett, I believe, is 56 years old. He still should have a good 10 to 15 years of coaching left in him. I think if he can just bring us a title in his remaining time as our coach, then that will be his legacy. If he does not ever win a title here, then I am afraid he will go down as a great coach, but will still have a dark cloud over his head. It's a shame it has to be that way, but, to the majority of Tiger fans, it will be hard to convince me that no one will think of that in the future when thinking of Leggett, should he never win a title here.

I mean, I know this is not exactly comparing apples to apples, but I wonder what the average Ohio State fan thinks of when they think of Woody Hayes? He was a great coach, their best ever, but, all because of us (which I love, because I know so many OSU fans), he has a dark cloud over his head as well. I mean, I think he did apologize after that, but still, hard not to think of him and not think of that one knee jerk moment in his coaching career. Like I said, not apples and apples, but you see my point. 30 something years after he coached his last game at OSU, that one highlight is shown many times when showing clips of him.

I'd give Bowden a B+

Jul 3, 2010, 7:04 PM

he did a heck of a lot for the program and although never got it to the elite level brought it back from the west era. recruiting improved tremendously and he got the WEZ built.

I would have to give Hatfield a G.***

Jul 3, 2010, 9:26 PM

The results relative to Hatfield may rank as F, but I'm not

Jul 3, 2010, 10:16 PM

sure the hiring decision ranks as F. Tim Bourret calls him, "One of the most respected people I've ever worked with."

He did win with the talent he inherited. He did not recruit well. Nevertheless, he won a conference championship, something not done since, and his last year was 9-3 (counting the bowl game). His numbers rank quite well overall. However, it is true that when he left the talent level on the team was not nearly as good as when he arrived.

However, one cannot escape the fact that many many alums were against Hatfield from the start, simply because he replaced Ford, and it is well documented that some of those well intentioned but misguided alums hindered him in recruiting. To grade his results is one thing; to grade the quality of the hire is in this case more difficult.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will have to admit

Jul 3, 2010, 11:42 PM

You bring up a very good point there. And I will have to admit, that if I was the AD of Clemson in 1998, Bowden would have looked like the best guy to hire to me as well. As a matter of fact, I will never forget that Thursday night game against GT in 1998, after Joe Hamilton and GT came from behind to beat us by three, that when many fans were chanting "Tommy Bowden"....."Tommy Bowden," I was one of them.

And when Hatfield was introduced as our coach, it looked very bad when most of the Clemson fans were booing him, before he coached his first game.

But......I cannot give Hatfield most of the credit for that 1991 ACC championship. Ford resigned in 1989. Most of the players who led us to that championship were likely upperclassmen that Ford recruited. And, you also have to remember, that was an ACC that did not include FSU, Miami, VT, or BC. And then, the year after we won our last ACC title, FSU joined the league. Clemson gave them a good game their first year in the ACC, only losing by four, but after that, in 1993, they beat us 57-0.

In Hatfield's last year, he did go 8-3 before resigning before the bowl game. But look at who he beat: UNLV by 10, GT by 3, NC State by 6, Duke by 3, East Tennessee State and Maryland we blew out, then we beat UVA by 9, South Carolina by 3, and when West took over for the bowl game, Kentucky by 1. So, we beat three teams by a field goal, and one team by 1. We were very lucky to go 8-3 that year, because we won so many close games, that could have easily been losses. We were shut out by FSU and UNC, and lost to Wake on our on home turf. I think the Wake game is what did him in. We were not used to losing to teams like Wake back then. You have to remember that this was 12 years after our national title. During our national title season we put up 82 points on Wake. Our schedule was completely cupcake with the exception of an up and coming UNC team that had Mack Brown, and, FSU of course. I believe this was the last year that we had any of Danny Ford's players on our team. Everyone could see a huge drop off coming, especially after the Wake loss, and the next season we went 5-6, so the things that many people saw coming, came true. The 5-6 team was pretty much all of Hatfield's players. I think we should have been kinder to the man, but he was not the man that was going to keep us on the elite level. And, sad thing is, it is 18 years later and we still have not gotten back to an elite level.

Giving Hatfield an F is way too harsh.

Jul 4, 2010, 12:17 PM

Especially since we're talking about the quality of the hire. I don't see anything in Hatfield's pre-Clemson resume that should have prevented us from hiring him. Great record (55-17-1 at Arkansas with 4 top 15 finishes), seemingly good recruiting, ran a squeaky clean program, and worked well with the administration. Remember, as loved as Danny Ford was by our fans, the two biggest problems with his tenure were his publicly challenging our administration and the NCAA probation/investigation. Whether the NCAA stuff had anything to do with Danny or not is speculation, but he was the head coach and outsiders held him responsible and some viewed us as a dirty program.

Hatfield was obviously not the right person for the job, and it was very disappointing to see our talent level decline as it did. But it's hard to give a coach a failing grade who went 32-13-1. I know, "they were Danny's players," but he still had to coach them. It's not like those players were so good that they could coach themselves!

None of us like the result of Ken Hatfield's tenure at Clemson, but it's pathetic that some of our fans seem to hate him because of it. He did the best job he could, and I think he loved Clemson as much as he could despite having so many fans and boosters against him from the start. I can't imagine how awful that must have felt. He ran a clean program and it didn't work out. Keep it in perspective here (an adult perspective, not a spoiled 8 year-old perspective).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Giving Hatfield an F is way too harsh.

Jul 4, 2010, 6:20 PM

When I made the original post, I should have
said 'grading Clemson hires and how they turned out.' Sorry for not clearing that up. As far as the dumbest hires we have ever made, on paper, I would have to say Larry Shyatt looked pretty dumb. It was worse than I expected, but I questioned that hire from the start. And, if you want to know the truth, I am going to be completely honest here. Dabo Swinney looked like a really dumb hire at first as well, but it's too early to tell whether it was or not. He is one of those hires where, if he has great success, he is going to make TDP look like a genius. If he ends up failing miserably, he is going to make TDP look like a complete tool, and may not only lose his job because of it, but TDP's as well. So far it hasn't been that bad, but, wayyyyyy too early to tell just yet what the verdict is on that one. Recruiting has gone pretty well, so I cannot complain about that.
I am too young to remember what Hatfield's resume was, and what other coaches were available when he was hired. But I bet you this, there were probably numerous candidates, if they were not afraid, that would have killed for this job back then. Because they knew they would be walking into a situation where the program was already established. There was no rebuilding that had to be done. And when I say "not afraid," that means that every candidate probably knew they were going to be walking into a situation where we had just lost our version of Bear Bryant, and were not happy about that.
If I remember correctly, Hatfield took us to a bowl game against Cal, and there was some sort of controversy prior to that game. If I remember correctly, some players got into some trouble down there, in Orlando, where the bowl game was being played. I think a lot of players went down there and partied too much, and did not focus on the game, and it showed in the blowout loss.
And I did not hate Hatfield, that's way too strong of a word. It's just plain stupid to hate any person as a human being just because they did not do what you expected of them in their tenure at your school.
But, no one is going to change my mind about this one. Regardless of what anyone says, Hatfield did deserve an F, IMO. The first couple of years that Hatfield was the coach, Clemson was still at the point where just our name alone recruited itself. Our success from the previous years was still fresh in the minds of a lot of blue chip, high school players. That is why it is in my opinion, that Hatfield's 'real success' did not show up until about year five or six, after he had already left, and Tommy West was the coach. Tommy West was not a horrible coach. He coached under Danny Ford, and played a similar style of football that Ford played, just with less talent. But unfortunately for him, during his very first full season at Clemson, is when Hatfield's 'true success' started to show up. We went 5-6 under West during his first year, and suffered our biggest blowout loss to the Coots in my lifetime, on our own home field. 33-7 is the worst the coots have beaten us in football in my lifetime. And at that point, all of the blue chip high school players were starting to not view Clemson as one of the elite any longer. At this point high school players were in middle school the last time Ford coached a game at Clemson, and were starting to forget a whole lot about what Ford did here. From 1995-1997 Clemson won seven games or more. 1998 was a 3-8 year, that got West fired. That 3-8 team was probably the best 3-8 team in the country, because they lost so many close games. Just like Hatfield's 1993 team was probably the worst 8-3 team in the country, because all they beat were cupcake teams, and barely beat them.

West was a better recruitor than Hatfield. He left Bowden with Keith Adams, Alex Ardley, Woody Dantzler, Brandon Streeter, Rod Gardner, Chad Carson, and Kyle Young, just to name a few. Bowden did pretty well his first year at Clemson by going 6-5, with the nation's second toughest schedule, and to the chic-fil-a bowl. I give most of that credit to Tommy West. I also give Tommy West credit for "the catch part two," back in 2000. West was the one that recruited the player that threw the ball, Dantzler, and recruited the player that caught the ball, Gardner.

Oh well, that's just my two cents.....

Dabo will be no better than a C+ when all is said and done..

Jul 5, 2010, 8:03 AM

He is an A+ reruiter BUT he is NOT a game day coach.

DB

Jul 5, 2010, 10:49 AM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic