Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let me clear this up about the SEC and television sets
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 889

Let me clear this up about the SEC and television sets

Jun 12, 2010, 11:36 AM

The SEC and it's administration has built a "brand" when it comes to college football. They have built their conference about pedigree, tradition, pageantry, and hard nosed football. Football fans throughout the country (not just in the SEC "footprint") tune into the SEC on ESPN and CBS not because they live in the before mentioned footprint, but because the SEC is the best of the best and they want to see those teams play. The SEC is what it is because of the teams that it is made up of. The 80-90 seat stadiums that are known for being the loudest, most intimidating, and best tailgate atmosphere in the country. The absolute best athletes in the country attend these schools. The SEC knows this is what there brand is built upon. They understand to keep those millions of NATIONAL eyeballs glued to their games on Saturday afternoons and nights they will need to continue to enhance the conference with other great teams that will fit into the mold of what they already have established. With that being said... FSU, GT, Clemson, and Miami are the teams that make the most sense for SEC expansion.

VT isn't going anywhere.. They would be a good fit but they are married to UVA for awhile.

A&M is the same scenario. They can't and won't break away from Texas. Although they would be a good fit for the SEC.

Those Big 12 schools that will be migrating to the Pac 10 will be in great shape. Fox will be putting all of its financial eggs in the basket of the new Pac 16 with the loss of the ACC tv contracts and the BCS contracts. All of those teams will reap HUGE financial benefits.

The Big 10 and Pac 10 will be expanding to 16 teams each. The SEC will have no choice but to follow suit to keep up with the super conference model that will have been established. The only way to do this is to add quality teams taht fit their mold. Not just television "footprints". We all have seen how that's worked out with BC in the ACC.

It's not always about "Quantity" but "Quality"!! The big four in the ACC brings that quality that the SEC needs to keep up with the PAC and Big 10

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me clear this up about the SEC and television sets

Jun 12, 2010, 11:56 AM

very well done, I agree but I also know that the Clemson BOT and our president have ZERO interest in anything progressive!!!!we are stuck with what we have/are and the facts do not matter @ all!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you know? Were you in the room at the last meeting

Jun 12, 2010, 12:00 PM

The people on the BOT are business people......well to do business people.

They didn't get that way by being stupid.

They didn't get that way by opening their mouths about things they have in the hopper before it is a done deal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

In fairness, you live in Spartanburg and are overexposed

Jun 12, 2010, 12:00 PM

to the SEC. So yes, the SEC is very relevant in the Southeast. But once you get to Texas, its ia about Texas, A&M, their traditions, and the Big 12 rivalries. In Oregon, the biggest thing there is the Ducks vs. Beavers and they think the PAC 10 is the most exciting fast paced style of football.

So while there is a national reach, the ratings and relevance of the SEC brand can expand by inviting the Texas A&Ms and Missouris of the world and increase the brand perception and TV deal value.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In fairness, you live in Spartanburg and are overexposed

Jun 12, 2010, 12:06 PM

I see your point and a valid point at that. And I understand that every region of the country is automatically going to favor and prefer their area's style of play and their area school's in general. But, I've been in Dallas during football season on a night where Texas wasn't playing.. You know what was on at all the bars that I went to? SEC football. I've been to Boston the year before they came to the ACC. SEC football was on the set. ESPN opens the door for those national eyeballs. When Oregon Duck fans are waiting on Oregon to play and they are looking for the that 4:30 pct time game to watch to get ready for the Ducks to come on... who do you think they are watching. The SEC on ESPN. Because 90% of the time thats the best game on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In fairness, you live in Spartanburg and are overexposed

Jun 12, 2010, 12:14 PM

That same bar in Texas will now have a UCLA-Oklahoma game on instead of the SEC game and the tailgating Ducks will be watching Texas-Arizona State. That bar in Boston will have a Red Sox game on after the PAC 16 is done.

No they won't

Jun 12, 2010, 2:57 PM

because it all boils down to success on the field. If the SEC continues to be in the national title game or winning it then no one will give a good GD about Okla vs. UCLA. SEC will be on TV.

Based on your logic the Miami Dolphins or 49ers or Bears would always be a "primetime" game for the NFL. They aren't though because they suck.

It comes down to the product on the field. Outside of Okla and LA who really gives a fudge about UCLA vs. Okla. Nobody, want to know why, because one of them is absolutely irrelevant in the national title race. The SEC has several relevant title contenders.

Very emotional and over the top response

Jun 12, 2010, 3:36 PM

So if you are a Clemson fan and there is a tight ACC race that Clemson is in the thick of, you would still watch the Miss State-Auburn instead of Florida State-Georgia Tech because the SEC is the best.

The NFL is a different animal since in most cases the match-ups consist of games between teams from 2 top 20 media markets in addition to featuring compelling games. Most bars also have multiple TVs and the Sunday ticket so all games are on.

Its the product on the field and regional ties and you are right on that. However, it is also storylines, local and national media coverage, and relevance to your team and geographic region as well.

Your aren't seeing the big picture

Jun 12, 2010, 4:45 PM

Make a more realistic comparison. If Auburn vs. UGA is on I am going to watch that over FSU vs. GT. Point is that the SEC has a lot of good teams and are likely going to have a big match up each weekend.

Based on the ACCs recent performance the FSU vs. GT game just isn't intriguing.

I completely agree with what you say about the

Jun 12, 2010, 12:53 PM

SEC has built a brand and not needing new states for tv. I have said this many times, however, it seems I have heard rumblings from SECers themselves that feel the pressure to enlarge the footprint with new states. Now Tex AM is a no-brainer in that they'd want them in either case. I hope you are right in your theory and that would dismiss Missouri for example.

I hope you're right, but I think you are definitely

Jun 12, 2010, 12:55 PM

wrong about TEx Am. I think they are going to go to the SEC.

Anyone who obsesses about TV markets needs to explain

Jun 12, 2010, 1:06 PM

why Rutgers is not the most sought after program in the land.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

Re: Anyone who obsesses about TV markets needs to explain

Jun 12, 2010, 2:12 PM

You must have missed the past 3 months of Big 10 expansion talk. Every sentence started and ended with Rutgers.

Yeah, and who just got an ACTUAL invite to the Big10?***

Jun 12, 2010, 11:16 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

Anyone who has been up in the Northeast area knows that

Jun 12, 2010, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Anyone who obsesses about TV markets needs to explain ]

those folks prefer pro sports. It's not like the South where college football rules.

Replies: 14
| visibility 889
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic