Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is the bottom line
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

This is the bottom line

May 11, 2010, 10:27 PM

We all have our different opinions, but mine is if we lose some of the little bit of football schools that we do have, and replace them with basketball schools, and schools like UCONN, ECU, USF, Syracuse, etc; this is going to be my worst nightmare happening to the team that I have loved all of my life. We DO NOT BELONG in a conference with those types of schools. We have NOTHING in common with them, NOTHING. I will be sick to my stomach if this happens. Before all this expansion was ever even brought up in the past month or two, I would never openly admit it, but I have always wanted to be in the SEC. Traveling to Athens, Auburn, Baton Rouge, hearing Rocky Top playing in Death Valley, these things would get me unbelievably pumped up. Noon games against teams like UCONN, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, or whoever, make me want to vomit. I have been working a lot lately, so I am not completely up to date on the latest talks, but did slip on tigernet at work earlier today and saw that the SEC would probably invite VT, Miami, FSU, and GT (I think) before they would us.

I would rather go 6-6 in a new SEC, than 11-1 in a watered down, boring, new ACC. And I don't even care if we would still get to a BCS bowl or not, either. We would NEVER play for the national title in a new ACC if we lost some of the little bit of football schools that we do have, our strength of schedule would be way too weak.

I don't think some people realize how crucial this really is. We might as well just be a part of the southern conference. Like I said, I am not completely up to date on the latest of all of this, but if Clemson is not one of the schools on the SEC's list if all of this does happen, then our administration better be working their tails off to do what they can to get the SEC's attention. This might turn out to be nothing when it's all said and done, but if we lose teams like VT, FSU, and GT to the SEC then this is the end of Clemson football from my viewpoint. Recruiting will get much more difficult, we will rarely get any national exposure, ticket sales will go way down, as will IPTAY donations.

Once again, I am just thinking of this in a worst case scenario type of way. I am not trying to be a doom and gloomer, but with the way Clemson's luck has been in anything recently, it's hard not to think the worst.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo***

May 11, 2010, 10:37 PM

Point for you, sir***

May 12, 2010, 12:28 AM

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

point...***

May 12, 2010, 12:49 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is the bottom line

May 12, 2010, 5:10 AM

I could not have said it better.If Clemson is not invited to join the SEC{in case expansion does happen}then Swofford and the ACC needs to see that the conference remains a viable football conference by expanding NOW before the Big 10 and SEC does.This could happen in several likely scenarios,but one I think might work would be adding 4 teams{say Pitt,West Virginia,East Carolina{or Rutgers}and Louisville.Adding Pitt,and/or Rutgers would be crucial in keeping B.C. in the conference,imo.It's not that we need B.C.necessarily,it's just we can't have any teams dropping out at this current juncture.If ,as you say the SEC takes takes VT,Miami,FSU,and GT,then Clemson would be left out in the cold,and the ACC would become nothing more than a glorified basketball conference.
Of course,all of this is speculation until we see what the Big 10 actually ends up with.If Texas/Texas Tech are added to the Big 10,{which actually needs to add 5 to get to 16}then the SEC would add 4 ,as you said.However,I think the SEC would take Clemson over VT.We would be a better fit as far as rivalries,and travel over the Hokies.

...and all God's people said ...... AMEN!!!***

May 12, 2010, 7:27 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2010, 7:45 AM

Truth be known, on my part, IF Clemson is offered the opportunity and turns it down (joining SEC) I will never spend another dime on CLemson. In fact, clemson will become my "second tier" team since that is what they obviously will want to be.

I hate divorce but the lines are being drawn and if tobacco road is who they wish to date, so be it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

May 12, 2010, 11:17 AM

If Clemson goes to SEC, say hello to being an even greater red-headed stepchild than we are now. Ask Arkansas and USC AD's how much they enjoy get pounded in every sport and having no say in the conference leadership.

Arkansas has done well since being in the SEC

May 12, 2010, 11:35 AM

A National Championship in basketball, multiple SEC baseball championships, 3 SEC West Championships, and several national championships in track.

South Carolina has an equestrian NC and a couple bowl wins in a bowl named after a place known for its bloomin' onion.

Re: Arkansas has done well since being in the SEC

May 12, 2010, 6:07 PM

Pounded was much more pointed at USC, but Arkansas seems happy to bail in a heartbeat as they feel left out of SEC leadership.

Not that I disagree, but here's one counterpoint to consider

May 12, 2010, 8:23 AM

I think inarguably Clemson's football peak was the 80s, when we were really in a basketball conference. Clemson's ACC Championship drought started when we added GT, FSU, Miami, VT and BC. When FSU entered the ACC, it still wasn't a great football conference and they pretty much had the decade of decades.

Anyway, one could say that the football landscape has changed, but one could also argue that it will continue to change and ultimately end up with a playoff where the conference champion gets to play. If that's the case, Clemson would be in a much better position to get to the playoffs in a weaker conference. Sure, your SEC buddies would mock your relatively "easy" ride to the playoffs, but we would still get to cash the check.

I'm not saying that's a better solution for Clemson or for we fans. Just food for thought.

null

Re: Not that I disagree, but here's one counterpoint to consider

May 12, 2010, 8:53 AM

Clemson's drought did not start when we added ANY MOTHER FREAKING TEAM INTO THIS CONFERENCE. CLEMSON'S DROUGHT STARTED WHEN WE FIRED THE BEST COACH WHO HAS EVER STEPPED FOOT ON THE CAMPUS...

I seem to remember 89 when we went to tally and put a beat down on those guys..

I didn't say those other teams caused our decline. Just

May 12, 2010, 8:55 AM

that the timing was the same.

null

Noles weren't in the conference then either...***

May 12, 2010, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Not that I disagree, but here's one counterpoint to consider ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Noles weren't in the conference then either...***

May 12, 2010, 9:53 AM

yea i know... just saying...

the timeline may be incidental but one didn't cause the other.

Um, scuse me, but GT joined the ACC in '78 and in "88 and

May 12, 2010, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Not that I disagree, but here's one counterpoint to consider ]

'89 we wore FSU's #### out on the football field. We dominated in '88 but lost because of a couple of great returns by Sanders and the fumble ruskie. Then in '89 we embarrassed FSU in Tally.

The decline of CU football had far more to do with the firing of Danny Ford and the stupid decision by those on top that let CU football continue to decline for 20 years than it had to do with other schools joining the ACC.

YES, CU would of won less even with Ford in the new ACC, but we would still of been a top ACC team. FSU would NOT have dominated the 90s if Ford had not been fired. It would of been a dog fight and a great one to!

May 12, 2010, 8:52 AM

I could see a scenario where that plays out and the acc says you might want to go to the SEC and Barker say no thanks..

May 12, 2010, 11:15 AM

Syracuse is a traditional football team. I don't know if you missed the Papa John's bowl, but Uconn is possibly a better team than we are and they have built an enormous fanbase in the state in less than a decade of BCS competition.

Heres the real bottom line

May 12, 2010, 6:14 PM

the PRESIDENT,the Ath director nor the high Officials of Iptay,are committed to football at Clemson.Or any sports at Clemson.They never have,and they never will.
They always have and always will be looking for a FREE ride.

Re: Heres the real bottom line

May 12, 2010, 6:19 PM

Maybe they have something on their minds besides sports, I love Clemson sports but realize that it is a past time not an objective.
I love to fish too, but do not lay out of work to do it.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Ok,I understand that point.

May 12, 2010, 6:21 PM

But how come other schools can make it important,as well as academics.....
Georgia
Florida
Oklahoma
FSU
etc.
etc..
etc.

Re: Ok,I understand that point.

May 12, 2010, 6:25 PM

Mostly Clemson rates higher in sports than academics, Yes the can do both but academics is what is trailing.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Not sure bout IPTAY, but Barker isn't!***

May 12, 2010, 6:23 PM [ in reply to Heres the real bottom line ]

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic