Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My opinion on all this Non grad vs grad Clemson fans....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

My opinion on all this Non grad vs grad Clemson fans....

Apr 19, 2010, 7:15 PM

you would never have heard this kind of talk 10, 20, 30 years ago among Clemson fans. Basically this all stems from President Barker's obsession with making Clemson this elite university according to standards of magazines like US news and world report. But if you look at these rankings closely you find out there pretty phony. I was reading a publication that had a different take on college rankings and they had Texas A & M rated as the number one school in the country based on there contributions to the american economy and the fact they bring in students from all segments of society, including low income students. So in the first place it is not a good tactic to be making decisions based on getting higher rankings on phony list.
So now the academic side of things brags about these rankings all the time now, even though with a little research you find out these rankings are really meaningless. So some recent Clemson grads and current Clemson students, believing the hype of these meaningless rankings, think that they are apart of some elite group and feel the need to demean Clemson fans who did not attend Clemson. These recent grads and former students have a feeling of superiority to Clemson fans who did not attend Clemson. Lets face it each fan that did not attend Clemson have multiple reasons or factors which prevented them from attending Clemson, so there really is no point in discussing that.
And yes Clemson fans who did attend did get to experience something different from Clemson fans who did not attend. But that doesn't make them any better than Clemson fans who did not attend.
Another example of fracture in the Clemson family, is the way the marching band has gotten the shaft from the university the past 10 years. About 10 years ago the marching band's budget got slashed big time, lowering the number of band members. I remember the director of the marching banding lamenting this, stating that by the motto at the time Clemson was one family, but the band was getting done wrong. This is a situation that has been down right pathetic. When SC State played us in the 2008 season their marching band far outnumbered ours, this from a school that has significantly less funds than our university does.
Another thing for the Clemson grads demeaning Clemson fans who did not attend Clemson. The reality of it is without us you probably would have never attended Clemson in the first place. The money we spend on IPTAY, athletic events, and clothing and other apparel far outweighs any tuition you ever paid to Clemson. Since you went to Clemson you should be understand this concept I'm about to present. Anytime something with Clemson on it, whether its clothes, figurines, a flag, furniture, sticker, or anything else, Clemson gets a cut of the money. See for these companies to sell products with Clemson's name they have to pay a licensing agreement. The money from this greatly enriches the university. So all this money us non grad Clemson fans spend has helped the academic side of things also.
Also a major attraction for Clemson over the years to prospective students has been the fan atmosphere at athletic events. With out this atmosphere and attraction and the money made off of this Clemson would be a much smaller school, lessening the chances that some of you grad Clemson fans would have ever attended Clemson in the first place. And with out non grad Clemson fans this atmosphere would never exist.
Not only do you see Clemson fans going against each other on this board, you see at athletic events. Fans talking trash to each other even though they pull for the same team. This kind of stuff you wouldn't have saw 10, 20, 30 years ago among the Clemson family. You don't see this among other schools fans, and this should definitely should not be happening among Clemson fans.
To end this long post being a Clemson fan isn't what it used to be. Being a Clemson fan used mean you were in lock step with your fellow Clemson fans.
So stop all this ridiculous bickering and pull for Clemson in lock step with your fellow Clemson fans to beat whomever WE play. ONE CLEMSON, ONE FAMILY.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only thing different than 10, 20, or 30 years ago is

Apr 19, 2010, 7:47 PM

there is an internet and there is a Tigernet.

People are much the same.

You should have heard the vicious arguments concerning who should be QB, O'Cain, Fellers, or Fuller, during the disastrous 1975 2-9 season, or the fans who wanted to fire/keep Danny in 1980.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes sir, the more things change

Apr 19, 2010, 8:03 PM

the more they stay the same,

very good point

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen. I was a student 33 years ago, and I was thinking the

Apr 19, 2010, 8:09 PM [ in reply to The only thing different than 10, 20, or 30 years ago is ]

exact same thing reading that post. The internet takes an opinion and makes it seem a lot more powerful simply because 500 people can read it in less than 30 minutes. I sat in Edgar's (a lot of folks won't know what Edgars is)drinking a beer and eating popcorn discussing the whole fan vs alum argument in the fall of 1978 when I realized my student ticket for the Ohio St. Gator Bowl game was in the endzone.

My guess is the same argument will discussed on the latest fan medium come 2042.

You mean there was a bar it the student union ??????

Apr 19, 2010, 11:42 PM

well I never.!!!!

Lots of folks don't.***

Apr 20, 2010, 11:41 AM

I have two degrees from Clemson

Apr 19, 2010, 8:13 PM

so I'm twice as good as most of you

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think anyone said it makes you a better fan. I

Apr 19, 2010, 8:54 PM

assume the point was that those of us with degrees have a vested interest in this "Top 20" thing which people like Plyler have apparently determined has the ulterior motive of dooming the athletic department and Clemson sports. So no, non-grads are not worse fans than grads but obviously they do not care about the academic strength of the University whereas people whose jobs frequently depend on it do.

Craziest arguement ever ...

Apr 19, 2010, 9:22 PM

Has anyone's boss ever come up to them and said ...

"Your alma mater ain't looking so good academically lately ... you might want to start checking Monster"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously not when you have a job but if you don't think the

Apr 19, 2010, 9:25 PM

academic quality of your school plays a role in who HIRES you, then you're crazy.

Re: My opinion on all this Non grad vs grad Clemson fans....

Apr 19, 2010, 9:21 PM

I think this makes for good argument. As a student myself at a different school, I can see where grads and students can say that non grads should never have a say so in the academic body of Clemson. At the same time, if you pay taxes in the state of SC, you should have a say so in how your tax dollars are spent, but this just brings in more a larger debate on what money is used to build and invest in Clemson University. Though I do have to say that this debate should never spill over onto gamedays when all our fans should be united against who ever is unfortunate to line up against us in Death Valley, Littlejohn, etc. My personal take on the matter is that if anybody ever downs someone for not graduating from Clemson and is wearing the same Orange they have on, that person should go F*** his/herself.

Re: My opinion on all this Non grad vs grad Clemson fans....

Apr 19, 2010, 9:31 PM

I have been a clemson fan for 55 yrs. but did't attend
the university...i went to Temple University and i hate
to say it but i have met a lot of clemson grads who must
have been spoon fed through school...just because a person
doesn't have a college degree doesn't mean they can't pull
for a college team...without those folks most schools would
have problems in raising money in iptay or any other program
like it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My opinion on your post.

Apr 19, 2010, 9:35 PM

Try paragraphs...

Re: My opinion on your post.

Apr 19, 2010, 9:51 PM

does this nonsense really matter? we are not in a class
room, we are on the internet....as dumb as you probally
are, you get the drift of what i am posting.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not interested enough to read

Apr 20, 2010, 4:30 PM

an enormously long paragraph.

If you can't make your point without rambling, I'm moving on. Also, if you're going to attempt to insult someone's intelligence try to at least make sense...

"we are on the internet....as dumb as you probally
are, you get the drift of what i am posting."

### does that even mean? No, I don't get the drift.

need a degree for that...***

Apr 19, 2010, 11:32 PM [ in reply to My opinion on your post. ]

I agree in part but

Apr 20, 2010, 8:59 AM

to suggest that the money you spend on IPTAY, athletic events, clothing and other apparel far outweighs any tuition some alumni ever paid to Clemson is a bit of a stretch particularly more recent graduates considering that the cost to attend Clemson for in-state students is approximately $24,000 per year.

If you're really spending upwards of $24,000 per year on IPTAY, athletic events, and apparel (particularly in this economic climate) thank you or your support.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

nailed it***

Apr 20, 2010, 11:41 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic