Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OP found the perfect job @ Clemson...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

OP found the perfect job @ Clemson...

Mar 21, 2010, 1:55 PM

Its a great gig and I think he knows it..

There are a few reasons why Clemson is such a great job...

1. ACC.. great for BBall

2. Beautiful campus..

3. Good academics

but the biggest reason is the fans...

Fans- Clemson is and has historically been a football school, but the fans are very reasonable. Clemson fans gave Tommy Bowden 10 years and some fans were still divided on him being "let go". Clemson is a football school supposedly, but Bowden lasted 10 years with NO ACC titles. I don't think anyone will be dumb enough to take this challenge but you can try.. Name another football school who would let a coach remain at the school for 10 years with NO National titles, NO BCS titles, NO conference titles, and NOT EVEN A #### DIVISIONAL TITLE?

Name one! you can't... Clem son fans are very very very reasonable. TB was defended until he was fired.

Knowing that OP has to feel ABSOLUTELY TREMENDOUS about his situation. He is at a school who has always sucked in basketball... never mind there are other programs like mid-majors who have sucked even worse, but have had tremendously quick turn arounds.. that doesn't matter because the fans will always continually harp on that excuse..(you obviously don't know CU basketball history..ha ha ha ha)

Clemson might even give OP a lifetime contract if he has a decent year, goes deep in ACC tourney, but not win it, and makes the NCAA's just for the potential of next year..(see TB contract in 08')

With Clemson's history + being football school + fans not really giving that much of a #### = lifer..

Clemson may be the best basketball job in the country.. ..

don't have to win conference, dont have to win conference tourney, dont have to even win a game in NCAA tournament....

basically as long as you make the ncaa field you are flat out the best coach in Clemson history... in the history of the program..

of course we fail to mention that winning 20 is not what it used to be.. Now we schedule 35 games a year and 12-15 of those are gimmes....we also fail to mention the ACC has been weaker recently than the past 20 years...

When talking about our history people say we only have 10 NCAA tourney appearances and OP has 3, but they fail to mention that for the majority of our history only 1 team went to the NCAA from our conference. How many times would Clemson have gone under OP if that were still the case?

Clemson is a great job and its the fans who make it that way... thanks Kelly2378 and York.. you guys are awesome..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he has done a nice solid job but

Mar 21, 2010, 2:25 PM

making the NCAA tournament now is a far cry from what it once was. By the original criteria before they expanded the field we still would not have gone. we havent won the conference tourney in 50 some years. Before every gets defensive about this it is a fact and not a dig at OP or any other coach at CU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gimmes don't belong in this discussion.***

Mar 21, 2010, 2:37 PM

moron***

Mar 21, 2010, 3:20 PM

Re: OP found the perfect job @ Clemson...

Mar 21, 2010, 3:38 PM

We are all glad he is at Clemson! All of this OP bashing is shameful. This guy has MADE Clemson Basketball. When is the last time Clemson went to the NCAA's three years in a row/

Go get a life. This guy is the best thing about CU BB.

95-97 when Rick Barnes was here. *******

Mar 21, 2010, 4:43 PM

Mar 22, 2010, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: OP found the perfect job @ Clemson... ]

lol

my point made... you fans are great...

give OP a lifetime contract...

woo hoo right?

He's MADE Clemson bball?

Mar 23, 2010, 1:41 AM [ in reply to Re: OP found the perfect job @ Clemson... ]

No.

He's done 2 things:

-Learned how to win just enough ACC games to stay in the upper half of the ACC, and get some tourney invites

-Won some flashy games that we weren't supposed to

Those two things have made you WATCH Clemson bball. It has not MADE Clemson bball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Re: He's MADE Clemson bball?

Mar 23, 2010, 2:27 AM

If people watch Clemson basketball then in some ways he has "made" Clemson basketball. 7 years ago when this team was in the cellar of ACC not a lot of people gave a rat's tail about bball at Clemson, now people demand a LOT from this team in such a short time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly!!***

Mar 23, 2010, 8:40 AM

Mar 21, 2010, 4:12 PM

You have told the truth and too many fans don't want to hear it. A great analysis of what makes a mediocre coach acceptable to inferiority complex ridden CU fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy Bowden had better record than Kirk Ferentz at Iowa

Mar 21, 2010, 4:29 PM

At least Kirk tied for the Big-10 championship twice, with a few losing records. Tommy Bowden was bowl eligible every year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd happily trade TB' reg seasons for Kirk's bowl record***

Mar 21, 2010, 5:14 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Name another football school who would let a coach remain at

Mar 22, 2010, 12:21 PM

"Name another football school who would let a coach remain at the school for 10 years with NO National titles, NO BCS titles, NO conference titles, and NOT EVEN A #### DIVISIONAL TITLE?"

There are 119 D-1 football teams. Most of those teams never reach your required plateaus.

I understand and agree that's where we need to be, however, the 10 years Bowden was coach at Clemson were one of the winningest decades in Clemson history. look it up. He teased us with the higher reaches several times during his tenure. THAT's why he was here 10 years.

Re: Name another football school who would let a coach remain at

Mar 22, 2010, 12:57 PM

and I guess thats why OP will be here 10 years as well...

to me, I care about championships and nothing else...

You're the reason people talk about how clemson fans

Mar 22, 2010, 1:08 PM

have this thought that they should be competing for championships every year. If you cared so much about championships then you wouldnt be a clemson fan. Our football and basketball programs just arent there yet. It takes time to turn a crap program around. And thats what our bball program was until OP got here- crap. Give him a couple more years and if we're still going one and done in the ncaas, it will be time for a change.

Re: You're the reason people talk about how clemson fans

Mar 22, 2010, 5:31 PM

I agree and I'm not calling for a change, but you have to question someone before you call for change...

you don't go from all love to all hate over night...

You are going to die sad, and frustrated ...

Mar 22, 2010, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Name another football school who would let a coach remain at ]

You may live to be 100, but your life as a Clemson fan ... or as a fan of most any school for that matter, is going to be miserable if you actually do "care about championships and nothing else."

I'm pretty passionate about college sports in general and Clemson sports in particular, but I would hate to go through life with your attitude.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are going to die sad, and frustrated ...

Mar 22, 2010, 5:32 PM

I would love to be careless.. I would love to have a who cares attitude, but thats not me..

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic