Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This whole routine is getting old . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

This whole routine is getting old . . .

Feb 24, 2010, 11:04 PM

Oliver Purnell's probably forgotten ten times the basketball I'll ever know, and he's undoubtedly one of Clemson's top 2 coaches ever. We'll be lucky to keep him for the forseeable future, and I hope we do. But this chronic charade of Clemson not being able to protect a lead is getting to the point of being absurd.

Never is there any justifiable reason to feel confident when there's a sizeable lead. It doesn't always end in a loss, but the instances of throwing away solid leads, and the predictable and wholly avoidable way in which it's done is getting to be a tiresome routine.

Despite losses of great players and despite some youth they obviously have talent, and some instances of collapse from time to time are to be expected of any team, but the routine and constant susceptibility of it is too frequent to be excusable. And while it seems marked this year, it's not the first year that it's been a notable problem.

Like I said, we're extremely fortunate to have Purnell, and I hope that continues. But I think we need to get over the hump of being always oscillating between flashes of greatness and looking almost unprepared. I think we can do better than that - I think they have what it takes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This whole routine is getting old . . .

Feb 24, 2010, 11:10 PM

Correct, we always come out in the second half a different team, whatever is discussed at halftime is , of course, not helping. I'm so tired of this..

Did anyone honestly feel comfortable with a 15 pt lead?***

Feb 24, 2010, 11:11 PM

Exactly . . .

Feb 24, 2010, 11:13 PM

Every time we lead by 12, 15, 17, etc. I think, wow, I wonder if that's less than the 23 point lead we had on Illinois, oh yeah IT IS LESS!!

You're right, our leads are never comfortable unless it's like, more than a dozen points with say, 3 minutes or so left.

No. My friends were all excited but I wasnt saying a word

Feb 25, 2010, 2:54 AM [ in reply to Did anyone honestly feel comfortable with a 15 pt lead?*** ]

Its so predictable. Its like watching a bad horror movie. You know the next person is going to die, you just dont know how.

LOLOLOLOLOL . . .

Feb 25, 2010, 9:47 AM

Oh wow, I laughed a lot at that. That's exactly right. It's getting bad!

Kinda like the Coots during football season.***

Feb 25, 2010, 7:02 PM [ in reply to No. My friends were all excited but I wasnt saying a word ]

I think most on this board are not true basketball fans

Feb 24, 2010, 11:16 PM

because you would recognize that all basketball games are ebb and flow. Runs are the norm and typically the home team wins. Don't get me wrong, I am frustrated as hell, but there's no need to put it under a microscope. We were unusually hot in the first half and then came back to earth. Most teams don't "hold" first half leads for an entire game.

We should all be much more upset about losing to B.C. That may be the one that haunts us.

Sorry, but routinely blowing 15+ pt. leads is inexcusable***

Feb 24, 2010, 11:24 PM

What do you mean by, "routinely blowing 15+ pt. leads"?***

Feb 24, 2010, 11:37 PM

Re: What do you mean by, "routinely blowing 15+ pt. leads"?***

Feb 25, 2010, 12:16 AM

What do I mean? Illinois and Maryland this year for starters. Not to mention the meltdown against Villanova in 08.

Do you know what "routinely" means?

Feb 25, 2010, 12:28 AM

And how do we compare to the other 345 or so teams in D-1?

Look, it's not that difficult

Feb 25, 2010, 9:34 AM

to understand. Routinely blowing 15 point leads may be sloppy hyperbole, but Clemson is ROUTINELY bad at protecting decent leads. Maybe sometimes it's 23, sometimes it's 19, sometimes it's 12, 15, etc. No one is trying to make a precise statement about EXACTLY 15 point bare minimum leads. The point is, Clemson is unreliable even with sizeable leads. And for that matter, we're not always talking about games that end in losses either. Sometimes they blow a lead and then hang on. But blowing the lead is a problem b/c it allows the very real possibility to throw away games.

"sloppy hyperbole"... nuff said.

Feb 25, 2010, 9:49 AM

Show me some numbers compared to the rest of the almost 350 teams in 1-A. Do we lose leads more than other teams? I'm thinking no.

Nuff said, but not enough understood by you . . .

Feb 25, 2010, 10:15 AM

the statment was sloppy hyperbole, his point was not.

Sort of like saying that someone is as "big as a house." If the person is 450 lbs, then technically, they aren't as big as a house. Nevertheless, no honest person would claim that the statement is off point.

LOL. Those numbers reeally prove your point.

Feb 25, 2010, 5:53 PM

Sloppy, man, sloppy.

You're a dumarse,

Apr 15, 2010, 3:00 PM

but you probably wouldn't be able to figure out why. So I'll leave you in your ignorance.

Did someone seriously bring this topic back FROM FEBRUARY***

Apr 15, 2010, 4:17 PM

mrmatt apparently forgot his meds today.***

Apr 15, 2010, 6:13 PM

Look man, you're familiar with Clemson only because you

Apr 15, 2010, 6:13 PM [ in reply to You're a dumarse, ]

watch them at every opportunity.

You are NOT familiar enough with the other ~350 teams in 1-A to know how often they blow leads. More importantly, you're apparently not smart enough to understand that ebb and flow and lead changes are just part or basketball. It happens to all teams.

I'm saying we didn't blow leads anymore than anyone else. until you can at least attempt to show otherwise, your hilarious, nonsensical rants are meaningless.

Furthermore, you're a friggen jackasss. Your baseless, error-filled, 2-month old attacks reek of much deeper issues.

Good luck with that.

Re: What do you mean by, "routinely blowing 15+ pt. leads"?***

Feb 25, 2010, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: What do you mean by, "routinely blowing 15+ pt. leads"?*** ]

You've just mentioned 2 out of 27 games....how does that qualify as "routinely"???

It actually points out the Tigers have held far more leads than they've squandered

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 games in 3 years? that's "routinely" - whatever dude.***

Feb 26, 2010, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: What do you mean by, "routinely blowing 15+ pt. leads"?*** ]

That's characterization is a far cry from

Feb 24, 2010, 11:26 PM [ in reply to I think most on this board are not true basketball fans ]

what I'm talking about. I know plenty well the ebb and flow of basketball. But that alone doesn't make frequent self-destruction justifiable. I watch PLENTY of teams that will rarely, (not never, but rarely) blow big leads, or at least FAIRLY unfrequently. That is unquestionably not too much to ask.

Besides, if we are predictable hot/cold then it's high time we make a concerted effort to address the fall-off. Clearly the efforts there to rev the engine up. That smacks a whole lot more of overconfidence and, relaxed sloppy play, than it does of pure coincidence or even unavoidable trends and tendancies.

Comprehensive and worth a point anyday!***

Feb 25, 2010, 1:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This whole routine is getting old .Jerks bashing our team

Feb 24, 2010, 11:32 PM

really sucks

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

How is pointing out an obvious issue "bashing"?***

Feb 24, 2010, 11:40 PM

Feeling the need to whine and point out negatives

Feb 24, 2010, 11:51 PM

is character flaw.

Besides, sometimes teams lose leads in games.

living in denial is an even bigger flaw. mental illness too.***

Feb 24, 2010, 11:55 PM

LOL. What are you talking about?***

Feb 24, 2010, 11:59 PM

Hey genius

Feb 25, 2010, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Feeling the need to whine and point out negatives ]

Your opinion about our team I disagree with, but your statements about character flaws based on someone having a different opinion about it is just ignorant bloviating BS from a blow hard.

You're the sensitive type huh?

Feb 25, 2010, 9:51 AM

I didn't disagree with you about anything. We actually agreed your "analysis" isn't much more than a sloppy hyperbole.

My statement wasn't even directed at you, but if you're admitting you're one to incessantly whine and focus on negatives, then yeah, that's a character flaw.

I'm not so much the senstive type as

Feb 25, 2010, 10:12 AM

the type who has righteous indignation towards smart arses who aren't even right about what they're being smart-arses about.

And to clarify - not that you need it b/c I think it's your honesty and not your intelligence that's lacking, but I said not one thing about the other posters analysis being "[not] much more" than sloppy hyperbole. I said the statment, the way it was PUT, was sloppy hyperbole. As you may know, arguments and analyses can not be hyperbolic, only statements. In other words, he made a valid point BY WAY OF a sloppy bit of rhetorical exaggeration. He probably assumed that most readers would address his points on the merits rather than nitpick their rhetoric to death.

See, you're doing it again.

Feb 25, 2010, 5:56 PM

LOL. What a bunch of BS. You're much better at creative fiction than you are anything to be taken seriously.

I didn't say a single "smart ####" thing to you. You are clearly the one getting all bent out of shape simply because I asked you to support your statements with more than feelings. And yes, again, whining and crying at every opportunity is a clear sign of a weak man.

How do we compare to other teams? Do other teams ever lose

Feb 24, 2010, 11:36 PM

leads and look bad doing it? Do you have some numbers?

You're such a dolt

Apr 15, 2010, 3:08 PM

that's all you ever say. How do we compare to other NCAA teams. But you never consider how we compare in talent abilty, etc.

It's not a raw-numbers comparison that matters. The number of factors that go into it is far beyond our blown leads vs. others. The point to consider is how well we do compared to how well we COULD reasonably do.
When a player screws something up at practice that is easily fixable, and a coach calls him on it and makes him go through drills to fix it, do you think the coach would tolerat the player attempting to engage the coach in a debate about whether or not the player is "above the mean" in that statistic compared to all other D-I players? Heck no. If it's (1) bad; and (2)avoidable, and the player has the talent to resolve the issue, then it needs to be addressed, PERIOD.

Your constant comparisons to other teams is a "lowest common denominator" approach that fails to consider that Clemson should, and has the talent, to aspire to more.

Dude, you responded to a reply from almost 2 months

Apr 15, 2010, 3:13 PM

ago???

null

Yep - but the other guy is the dolt.

Apr 15, 2010, 3:15 PM

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i get the feeling mrmatt is the infamous

Apr 15, 2010, 6:13 PM

GoatCheese
and all those other handles he used.

haha.

got to be a record***

Apr 15, 2010, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Dude, you responded to a reply from almost 2 months ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, maybe he'll be lucky enough to

Apr 15, 2010, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Dude, you responded to a reply from almost 2 months ]

come across it!

Yup. Your concise reply is right here...

Apr 15, 2010, 6:00 PM

http://www.tigernet2.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=8985975

Stanley is a whiney liberal ######, just ignore him.***

Apr 15, 2010, 3:28 PM [ in reply to You're such a dolt ]

Not whiney, not a liberal, and certainly not a ###### ######

Apr 15, 2010, 5:58 PM

You, on the other hand, are a mentally unstable, narrow-minded, inflexible, brainwashed right-winger, completely unable to view things outside your dark, dank, barbed-wire box.

Any other questions?

Wow. What an idiot.***

Apr 15, 2010, 5:55 PM [ in reply to You're such a dolt ]

Result is from no effective and efficient half court offense***

Feb 24, 2010, 11:41 PM

I don't understand some of you...

Feb 25, 2010, 1:07 AM

...making excuses for us constantly blowing leads and self-imploding.

Don't you get tired of it? Don't you hate that feeling you get waiting for the other shoe to drop every time we have a lead and we're playing well?

I'd say the number one problem with this team is our absolute and total lack of a half-court offense, particularly when we need it the most - at the end of a game or to stop the bleeding. We are just lost in that situation.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you be happier as a fan of another sport?

Feb 25, 2010, 1:28 AM

Cause if you can't stand losing, basketball just ain't your game!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe if you can't stand disagreements

Feb 25, 2010, 9:32 AM

on sports topics, then following sports just ain't your hobby!

Please don't make me quit being a fan.***

Feb 25, 2010, 9:38 AM

Please don't make uproar84 quit being a fan . . .

Feb 25, 2010, 9:46 AM

okay, you may stay as a fan. As long as I can be a fan too. I mean, can't we all just get along!

Clemson record this year is 19 and 8

Feb 25, 2010, 7:11 PM

Some say that ain't good enough we have gotten better each year since OP got here. If this year is better than last OP will break and all-time NCAA record for improvement.

Ignore this and complain away.

OP went 17-0 then missed the NCAA tourney, don't get so

Feb 26, 2010, 4:21 AM

hung up on the statistics that you can't see the big picture. The numbers look good but we also blow a lot of big leads and have only gotten past the 1st round of the ACC tourney a few times and have yet to win an NCAA tourney game. Those are bigger more important things than regular season wins. Thus, OP is doing well during the regular season, but still not great, and so far we suck in the post season.

OP has the best recruiting we've ever had, but he seems to be getting less out of them.

OP has had more talent than the Slab-5, but they have not been as successful. We have had several coaches win NCAA tourney games, OP hasn't. Nor has he EVER won an NCAA tourney game at ANY school! That's a huge negative. Looks very Tommy Bowden-ish, can't win the BIG game!

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic