Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Athletics Cursed?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,087

Clemson Athletics Cursed?

May 31, 2004, 4:47 PM

A few messages down a USC fan suggested that Clemson, not USC, was the school that was cursed due to the Tigers' having no national baseball titles after numerous all-time wins and CWS appearances. By that logic, I guess FSU and Ga. Tech baseball also are cursed. Anyway, the reason why Clemson fans point to the Chicken Curse repeatedly is because of the Gamecocks’ long-time record of “snatching defeat from the jaws of victory” (however the saying goes). They blew their only chance to play in a football national title game by losing to perennial power Navy. They lost to powerhouse Louisiana-Lafayette the last time USC baseball ended the season ranked #1. They keep losing to their archrival in football (the most beloved sport), even when leading 14-13 with less than a minute remaining in regulation. USC has three bowl wins and one conference title in a hundred years of football. Plus, despite having more students, alumni, and political support (methinks), the Gamecocks have losing records to Clemson in most sports and less respected overall academics.

Besides, are not the Gamecocks 0-4 in title games (3 baseball and 1 men’s soccer), whereas Clemson is 3-0 (1 in football and 2 in men’s soccer)? By title games, I mean those played against a single team to decide the championship, not tournaments such as in women’s track or men’s golf. If not coming out with national titles is an indication of being cursed, USC definitely takes the cake.

Personal Disclaimer: This is not to take anything away from the recent success of USC baseball. The program seems to be running on all cylinders.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HOF!******

May 31, 2004, 4:49 PM

You missed the point...

May 31, 2004, 5:03 PM

If you want to read my post as saying Clemson is cursed feel free, but what suggestion I did make was tongue in cheek.

Certainly there are lots of programs that have not won baseball national championships. They aren't cursed. neither is Clemson. Neither is South Carolina.

I think Clemson has a fine baseball program. I think you've slipped a bit the last couple of years, but I don't think its necessarily permanent.

But if you want to take shots at South Carolina, I suggest that Omaha failures is one you'd want to avoid if you didn't want to get it right back.

Note...you do realize this is a Clemson, your rival...

May 31, 2004, 5:19 PM

...."board".

You should probably expect some fun discussion about a curse folks have talked about for decades.

Obviously, you're very bothered by the suggestion of Clemson, your arch rival, fans about said "curse"....you can try and explain it away any which way you like....though it appears the curse is very much bothering you.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Better to have lost in Omaha than to only have gone 2 times

May 31, 2004, 5:59 PM [ in reply to You missed the point... ]

since 1975

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just remember Pitchfork Ben. "The Curse" does not appear

May 31, 2004, 6:07 PM [ in reply to You missed the point... ]

during each and every game. It "raises" it's head just before you reach that "Top Step". Look back in USC's history of sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

actually..not a curse for either team..sometimes other teams

May 31, 2004, 8:29 PM

are just better than the other team...on that giving day...simple as that.

VBCock!!!

May 31, 2004, 8:56 PM

Big Mac and fries, Please!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VBCock, can you biggie my order? I'm hungry.***

May 31, 2004, 9:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Athletics Cursed?

May 31, 2004, 10:26 PM

DO YOU REALIZE THAT CLEMSON HAS WON OVER 29 NATIONAL TITLES IN IT'S HISTORY. CHECK CLEMSONTIGERS.COM TO VERIFY ACTUAL NUMBERS.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,087
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic