Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some of you have no ####### perspective on OP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Some of you have no ####### perspective on OP

Mar 20, 2009, 11:56 PM

He is not a terrible coach that should be fired.....

He is not the savior of Clemson basketball above reproach or questioning....

He is a good coach and a good program builder....

He has done some good things at Clemson... Not great but good...

I know he started with little to nothing other coaches have as well... Clemson had the slab 5 at one time and that coach took us to the sweet 16..

OP is yet to even win 1 single tournament game.... He has NEVER made it out of the first round of the ncaa tournament... Never!

But that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach...

do we have to fire him or anoint him? can't we just say, so far, so good and hope that we continue to progress?

good god

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best post of the last 24 hrs***

Mar 20, 2009, 11:59 PM

Relative to Clemson basketball, OP is a great coach.

Mar 21, 2009, 12:03 AM

Especially looking at the overall level of talent, we have clearly overachieved under his reign.

Re: Relative to Clemson basketball, OP is a great coach.

Mar 21, 2009, 12:14 AM

sorry man.. I think he is clearly a good coach, but I cannot label any coach as being "great" with absolutely ZERO tourney wins... thats ludicrous..

BTW, what do you consider Rick Barnes then? I mean he had the slab 5 and took them to a winning record and NIT birth.. OP was 10-18 in his first year and that team was more talented than the slab 5.....

when we went to the sweet 16 we had how many NBA ballers on that team? uh that would be one in Buckner.... boogie had to play in Europe...

I'm not saying at all that OP is not a great coach, but I am saying thats yet to be determined...

so far he is a good coach who has led us to back to back tourney appearances and potentially a great coach.....

I don't think that anyone should go ahead and anoint the guy great and give him a lifetime contract when he hasn't even won a tournament game yet...

I disagree again (using facts)...

Mar 21, 2009, 2:45 AM

Keywords "relative to".

Barnes was a great coach. Perhaps one of the best ever to coach at Clemson. I am not even remotely trying to say OP is the best ever, but he may prove to be in time. Your comparison to Barnes is noted, but it has no impact on whether or not OP is a great coach, relative to Clemson.

Clemson has been to the tournament 8 times in the history of college basketball. OP has two of those. Considering he has 25% of ALL the tounament invites in Clemson history, that's great.

OP has done things at Clemson that very, very few have, if any ini some cases. To use your word, it's ludicrous to say he's not great, relative to Clemson.

Here are some more facts (from the front page):

* OP has led us to 20 wins for the third straight year, a first in Clemson history.

* Clemson has 72 wins over the last three years, third among ACC teams behind North Carolina and Duke.

* Clemson finished the year with 23 wins, tied for the fifth highest total in school history.

* The .719 winning percentage ranks in a tie for fourth best in school history.

* Clemson finished the year ranked 24th in the final Associated Press poll. It marks the second consecutive year Clemson has been ranked in the final AP poll, the first time in history Clemson has finished in the top 25 in any poll in consecutive years.

* Clemson was ranked in the AP poll for 14 consecutive weeks and in the USA Today poll for 13 consecutive weeks, the second longest streak of weeks in the top 25 in the same season in Clemson history.

* Clemson was selected for the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year, joining Duke and North Carolina as the only ACC schools to make the tournament each of the last two years. It is just the third time in Clemson history that Clemson has gone to the NCAAs in consecutive years.

* Clemson had a winning ACC record in regular season play (9-7). Coupled with last year’s 10-6 ACC record, this marks the first time since the 1965-66 and 1966-67 seasons that Clemson has had consecutive wining seasons in ACC play.

* Clemson finished the regular season with a 14-0 record against non-conference teams, one of just eight Division I teams with a perfect non-conference record. The others were Pittsburgh, UCONN, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Minnesota, Illinois State and Stanford.

* Clemson’s 10-point win over Boston College in Boston on Feb. 10 was just the third ACC road win over an ACC team that finished the year with a winning record in the last 22 years.

* The Tigers won seven regular season ACC games by double digits, the most regular season league wins by 10 points or more in Clemson history.

* Statistically, Clemson finished the year with a +10.3 average margin of victory, third best in school history. Clemson’s .688 free throw percentage was the third best for the program in the last 22 years. Clemson’s .374 three-point percentage was the fourth best in school history.

I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY POSSIBLE you can look at these figures and say OP isn't great, relative to Clemson. NO WAY. To coin your word, that would be "ludicrous" and not based in reality.

By the way, why do you vote for yourself with nearly every post you make? That's kinda weird.

Ahhh... semantics.

Mar 21, 2009, 9:20 AM

I liked your facts. They are really nice. But you ignore coyote's FACT also that OP has not won even 1 NCAA game in 5 tries. How can that be considered great.

The OOC thing is not that impressive considering y9ou guys win a boatload of those games. But OP allows you to sort of crash late in the season. These are also facts, no less valid than yours.

But they support coyote's claim that OP is really really good and may be great one day. And that there is no need to play such extremes... OP does have to be awful or awesome. He can be a very good program builder for now.. and that's fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

LMBO. Why is it you can't seem to see when you're describing

Mar 21, 2009, 2:22 PM

yourself?

Purnell is clearly great when compared to other coaches in Clemson history. To suggest otherwise is illogical and perhaps unintelligent.

But be sure to keep that mirror in front of your PC.

Re: I disagree again (using facts)...

Mar 21, 2009, 10:24 AM [ in reply to I disagree again (using facts)... ]

Listen man we are just going to disagree...

not biggie we can do that....

I will never say any coach is "great" with absolutely zero tournament wins...

I don't give a #### if he went 30-0 every single solitary year.. If he loses in the first game of the tourney he is not great imo...

thats just the way it is...

and on the other I have been here way way too long to think about scoks or give a #### about points... and 11 scoks would be hard for anyone to keep up with...

lol... sorry some agreed with what I said...

Fair enough. Your judgement is based on one thing as opposed

Mar 21, 2009, 2:19 PM

to the entire picture. Fair enough, but that's ludicrous.

But hey, keep voting for yourself.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic