Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wednesday's game: Clemson at (sigh) UNC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Wednesday's game: Clemson at (sigh) UNC

Jan 20, 2009, 4:03 PM

Who: Clemson (16-1, 2-1 ACC, No. 9) at North Carolina (16-2, 2-2 ACC, No. 5)
When: Wednesday, 9 p.m. in Chapel Hill
Is it on TV? Is it a UNC game? OF COURSE it's on TV! ESPN nationwide
Is it true we've never beaten UNC in their home state? Heck no! We've done it lots of times ... OK, a few times. The last time was in 1996, when Greg Buckner's jam lifted us past the Heels in the ACC tourney.

But if you mean we've never beaten them in Chapel Hill...well, yes. It's become a Sissyphusian task for the Tigers. We've lost close. We've lost ugly. But we've lost.

Is there any chance that outcome will change? We'll get to that in a minute. Let's start with a look at the guys we're facing, and how they managed to lose a couple of games in the past two weeks.

Will anyone really miss this clown?

Any talk about UNC has to start with Tyle Hansbrough (23 ppg, 8 reb). The 6-9 senior gave up a first-round NBA draft pick to come be "part of something special." Certainly BC and Wake weren't impressed. Last year he was a god. This year, he's looked human ... which, for Hansbrough, is an improvement.

Another Heel who skipped NBA bucks to look foolish against ACC-quality guards is Ty Lawson (15 ppg, 6 ast). Don't sell him short: Lawson is a solid player, quick and a good shooter. And he's fast enough to work through the Clemson press. But he's not the scoring threat Jeff Teague or Jack McClinton is.

Two guys that have traditionally had Clemson for lunch are Danny Green (13 ppg, 4 reb, 3 ast) and Wayne Ellington (13 ppg, 3 reb, 2 ast). I'm sure folks remember Ellington hitting that 3 in the closing seconds last year. But he's doing a great job of rebounding this year, and Green is having a solid (like 45 percent) year outside the arc. Add the improved performance of Deon Thompson (12 ppg, 6 reb) and you've got a phenominal starting 5.

UNC's bench: Hi sailor! New in town?

I give up! We're doomed! There's no way we can win is there? Hold on there! UNC has a great starting five, and a decent 6th guy in center Ed Davis (7 ppg, 7 reb). but have you forgotten how Clemson wins? Depth and opportunity. Sooner or later, those guys are going to have to sit down. UNC plays a bunch of guys, but they don't play quality minutes. The idea is to pressure whoever is in the game that is a starter.

Look at how BC attacked Carolina. The Eagles doubled Hansbrough, fronted Lawson and denied the 3-pointer in the second half. UNC lost its go-to guys when it counted because BC denied them the ball and flat wore them down.

You didn't see Ty Rice wasting time hounding Bobby Frasor. What you did see what BC staying close early so UNC didn't feel good about putting its subs in. By the last 5 minutes, UNC was gassed and BC played on adrenalin. They paid for it later against Harvard, but they beat UNC.

Clemson, I think, is a better team than BC ... and if we play a smart, solid game, we can do the same thing.

Repeat after me: FOUL ON BOOKER!

If the refs allow, this is a game Trevor Booker (15 ppg, 9 reb, 3 blocks)can put his mark on the ACC. It's been noted that in the past, Hansbrough has shot 50 free throws to 4 for Booker. Trevor's playing smarter, stronger and cleaner this year, and I think the result will surprise the Heels. Unlike Wake, we can work inside on UNC.

This game is also an important one for North Carolina native KC Rivers (15 ppg, 6 reb, 3 ast, 2 st). It's his last game vs. the Heels, and unless they've suddenly decided to rachet up their defense, he's going to get open looks from the wings.

I'm a scary dude!
That's because UNC, like everyone else is scared to death of Terrence Oglesby (13 ppg). With Marcus Ginyard out of the lineup, either Green or Ellington will be assigned the human shadow role on TO. And, frankly, I don't think either of them has the defensive heart to do it all game. Unlike State and Wake, the role players for UNC all sit on the bench and wave towels like hookers trying to attract sailors on shore leave. Look for TO to start getting looks in the second half. I hope to God he hits them.

The other big match is Demontez Stitt (9 ppg, 4 asst) and Lawson. Stitt showed a return to his old form in the second half against Wake, slicing inside. Rice used this to great effect against UNC. Lawson has speed, but he's not going inside with Stitt.

Repeat after me: Foul on Stitt!

When it's time for the bench, Clemson doesn't have UNC's pedigree, but they dang sure know how to play. David Potter (6 ppg, 4 reb) and Jerai Grant (6 ppg, 4 reb) have developed nicely, and neither will be facing the human forest that frustrated us against Wake. If Grant watched the game film and decides to go strong to the basket against UNC (barring Davis, who has a big size advantage) he can get some points ... or fouls.

Ahhhh, the magic word: fouls. How do we escape the refs? Frankly, we can't. And if the whistles start early and often against Clemson, we're sunk. All we can do is play the game and make the pitifully few free throws they'll give us. And DON'T make stupid fouls against UNC....they'll get enough shots from the line as it is.

UNC loves to run, and they do it well. They can handle a press, so we might be better served playing more halfcourt pressure. The Heels constantly look to Hansbrough when things get tough, so have Booker/Sykes/Grant constantly denying the pass inside. Make him work.

Anything else? Yep. Hope. Hope the snow-blind Heels and a late Wednesday start keep them off their game. Hope they miss a few free throws and feel their sphincters tightening.

Hope that someone gets hot from the outside for Clemson and we can put together a complete game.

UNC likely will play a soft D inside, putting pressure on the ball and forcing us to shoot outside. Stitt must push the ball inside, even if we kick it back out for a 3. Make the Heels work on defense as well as offense, and their starters will start getting winded.

And as Wake and BC proved, if they can get winded, they can get beat.

And we can finally push that rock up the hill.

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you Rev! Very much needed today...***

Jan 20, 2009, 4:05 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Nice job...Is there an early spread out for the game?***

Jan 20, 2009, 4:10 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't find one yet...***

Jan 20, 2009, 4:35 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC by 5.5

Jan 20, 2009, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Nice job...Is there an early spread out for the game?*** ]

http://www.thespread.com/ncaa-college-basketball-betting-odds

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish I could give an extra point for "Sissyphusian"***

Jan 20, 2009, 4:11 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well done, I would also add....

Jan 20, 2009, 4:14 PM

that the key to the game will be withstanding the typical "run" that UNC has in the second half of a game if they are behind. If we get a lead, we will have to withstand that run. We did not last year, and left with an "L".
Is Ginyard playing in this game? It seems like they missed him in the BC & Wake games as a defensive stopper. What is his status?

Ginyard is said to be out!***

Jan 20, 2009, 4:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is out. Looks like no expected time frame for his return:

Jan 20, 2009, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Well done, I would also add.... ]

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/category/tags/Marcus-Ginyard

Ginyard played a bit in the BC game...

Jan 20, 2009, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Well done, I would also add.... ]

couldn't keep up. He's not suiting up for us.

Probably germans, but did you guys see Bobby Knight's

Jan 20, 2009, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Well done, I would also add.... ]

piece on ESPN Saturday about ref's not making walking calls?

Who did he highlight? Handsoffmebro.

The play he detailed had TH receiving the ball with his back to the basket. His scoring move took not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5 steps. Of course, there was no walking call. Granted his feet were just shuffling on three of the steps, but it was still 5 steps, and no call.

Simply amazing, unless you are talking about UNC. Pretty much par for the course for those guys.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The usual good job Rev.....

Jan 20, 2009, 4:28 PM

If I may add: Demontez has got to take it to the hoop on Lawson as often as possible. Lawson's the motor that makes them go and I would dearly love to see him in foul trouble and exhausted at the end of the game.....of course, it would be nice if Demontez would actually make his free throws.

Clemson's got to find some offense. We need Potter, Sykes, and Grant to contribute some points so the 'holes will HAVE to get out from underneath to guard our big guys 6-10ft out and open up some lanes for Demontez and KC (and occasionally TO) to drive.

I agree wholeheartedly about the usefulness of a full court press.....the Tigers will have to play a stout half-court trapping defense and mix in some full court pressure on a regular basis.

Deja vu all over again: Just like Wake, Clemson's gonna have to play an excellent game and hope unc has something resembling an "off game" to win-----and whether or not that "off-game" is the result of a better Tiger defense or just unc having annoying pubic lice, I don't care. This is one of those "Al Davis" games..JUST WIN, BABY!!..............(Still rainin', Still dreamin')

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looked like Stitt came back to life in the 2nd half of the

Jan 20, 2009, 4:33 PM

Wake game. Lawson is nowhere near as quick as we was last year before his ankle injury. And he certainly is nowhere near as fast as Teague this year!

BTW, UNC's trapping D has been miserable.

Jan 20, 2009, 4:36 PM [ in reply to The usual good job Rev..... ]

Without Ginyard, both BC and Wake shredded them. That's why I think they'll abandon pressure against us and concentrate on stopping the 3.

Thanks as always, Rev! One quibble.

Jan 20, 2009, 5:01 PM

Wasn't Buckner's jam in 1996?

Yep...thanks for the heads up!***

Jan 20, 2009, 10:46 PM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic