Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Game: NC State at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,488

The Game: NC State at Clemson

Jan 8, 2009, 3:45 PM

The Game: N.C. State (9-3, RPI 118) at Clemson (15-0, #12 (unless you live in San Jose), RPI 5)
When: Noon in Littlejohn
Is it a sellout? Yes.
Is it on TV? Split feed from Raycom, check local listings or go to http://www.raycomsports.com/index.php/InfoCenter/upcoming-games.html

It's not Sam, but it's a rejection

When last we met: Probably one of the sweetest rejections I recall when Sam Perry stuffed J.J. Hickson at the rim and the Tigers stonewalled State over the last 2:30 for a 71-64 win.
How's Hickson doing this year? Not too bad: he's on the bench of the Cleveland Cavaliers, who are doing better than NC State. But he probably still sees Sam Perry in his nightmares.
If Hickson is gone, who's leading the Wuffies? A couple of familiar names. First is senior center Ben McCauley (14 ppg, 8 reb) both up considerably from last year. The Wolfpack looks a lot better inside, and he's the main reason why. A steady 14-18 points in the paint (no 3-pointers attempted this year) he's also proving to be a solid defender down low, and he doesn't foul much.

NC State's bookends down low

His bookend down low is junior Brandon Costner (15 ppg, 7 reb, 24 points vs. Florida). Like McCauley, he seems to be thriving in a world without Hickson, but he's more likely to move to the outside. He's got a decent 3-point shot and is quick enough to elude larger defenders who stay close to the basket. At times, he fancies himself a ball handler as well, like against ECU when he had 7 turnovers. When he's shooting, he doesn't rebound, and his top three scoring games have come in Wuffie losses. Interesting.

The other Wuffie hitting double figures is someone wewe remember: Courtney Fells (11 ppg, 3 reb). I swear he ate us alive from 3-point land last year. He's hitting better than 40 percent out there this year, but not shooting as much. He's also been hurt and is playing himself back into shape.

An interesting problem for Clemson is junior guard Trevor Ferguson (8 ppg, 50 percent from outside). He's been out for three games with a broken bone in his non-shooting hand, but is expected to dress for our game. He won't be able to help much on the dribble, but he is a shooter we must respect.

Other Wuffies to watch: 6-8 forward Tracy Smith (8 ppg, 4 reb). He doesn't play too much but offers a lot of energy while he's in there. He scored 31 against mighty Towson State, then disappeared against Florida.

You haven't mentioned State's guards: what about them? If I haven't mentioned them yet, it's because Sidney Lowe asked me not to. State offers possible the weakest guard combo in the ACC: Farnold Degand (5 ppg, 1 ast) and Fells are starting with stalwarts like Julius Mays (4 ppg, 1 ast) and Simon Harris (2 ppg, 2 reb) coming off the bench. Fells isn't scoring as much this year because there's no viable guard option to shoot, so he's getting a lot of attention. And as a team State is averaging almost as many turnovers as assists per game...not a good sign of guard play.

Come and get me, Tigers! Top of the world, Ma!
So, what you have is a team that really doesn't like to have to move the ball around, that wants desperately to pound inside. They don't foul much, substitue even less, shoot a decent percentage and are solid from the line. On defense the Wuffies don't press much, don't go for turnovers (their forced turnover percentage is among the lowest in the country) and esssentially will hole up like James Cagney in the end of "White Heat" and dare you to come and get 'em.

If that's so, how have they played good teams so close? Good question! Let's take a look at what happened against Florida and Marquette...

Looks like first, the Wuffies slowed the tempo. They worked the clock down, then found either McCauley or Costner inside. Those two guys went wild, and in both cases State led at the half.

In the second half, both Marquette and Florida pushed the tempo and State was unable to endure. Guard play by both riddled the Wolfpack defense and increased pressure frustrated State's inside game.

The key is to stop Costner. He is involved in 25 percent of the Wuffie scoring, usually by either forcing defenders to him and dishing to McCauley or by shooting. When he gets covered, State loses its inside out game.

Fells and Degand meet Clemson's defense

If State has weak guards, won't Clemson press them? If we don't, I'll be surprised. At 10 steals a game, Clemson's press isn't as terrorizing as last year, but in a way it's more effective ... especially against teams that lack bench depth.

Like NC State? Now you know why they're thinking about playing a guard with a broken hand. The Wuffies are as desperate for fresh bodies as Dr. Frankenstein with a busted freezer. After a game against Clemson's grinding press, they may well be Jello-legged.

How will we match their inside game? Honestly, we can't ... at least early. That's probably one reason you saw Trevor Booker (15 ppg, 9 reb, 3 blk ... including that gem against Bama) shooting from downtown Pendleton. McCauley will want to stay in the paint like a bear in a cave. If Booker hits from outside, McCauley is neutralized.

Ray Sykes (8 ppg, 5 reb) is out-sized inside against State, and KC Rivers (15 ppg, 6 reb, 2 ast, 2 st) may shy away from the offensive boards as well. For the Tigers to thrive in this game, we'll need to take the fight to State's backcourt, wear them down and pull away in the second half.

What's one more steal among friends?
To do that, we'll need a solid game from three guys: Demontez Stitt (8 ppg, 4 ast, 2 st) Terrence Oglesby (13 ppg, 45 pct 3-pointers) and Andre Young (5 ppg, 3 ast). State will hang on TO, since he pretty much killed them last year, meaning Stitt, Rivers and Young will have a lot of free space beyond the arc. If we're hitting, this game gets ugly quick. If not, and State can pound inside, we're in trouble.

What about Tanner Smith, and how is David Potter? Smith can help fluster Fells and guard against the baseball passes State is likely to start lobbing. Last I heard Potter is still day-to-day with a mild concussion, but could play if needed. If we're hitting early, he won't be needed.

FEAR ME....NOT!
Dang! you're pretty confident, aren't you? Actually .... yes, I am. State's weaknesses play into our hands, and their strengths aren't insurmountable. The biggest plus for us is their lack of quality depth. They really only go 7 deep, and none of the teams they've played have offered full-game pressure.

I worry about their ability to pound us down low on both ends of the court, but I have faith that Clemson's ability to get the ball away from State's guards. If we can wrest control of the tempo from State, there should be little doubt about the game.

Someone noted that since the UCS game, Clemson has looked sort of like they were tired of non-conference games. They wanted to get on with the ACC. Welp, the ACC is here. This is where it all starts counting.

I think the Tigers are ready.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am pretty sure a lot of folks know more bball now

Jan 8, 2009, 3:53 PM

because of your posts...I know I am one of them...

keep up the good work Rev..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But how many know "White Heat?" Great movie!***

Jan 8, 2009, 3:53 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same, I never have been a big B Ball fan.

Jan 8, 2009, 4:31 PM [ in reply to I am pretty sure a lot of folks know more bball now ]

But, the Rev's posts are changing that. I'm learning a lot!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Game: NC State at Clemson

Jan 8, 2009, 4:09 PM

After watching the 'Bama game who had a pretty solid game down low, I am a bit concerned as well---but not about matching up--------we can. I'm more worried about depth. Grant and especially Ray Sykes got in foul trouble early in the game so that when 'Bama started their little run late in the 2nd half both were saddled with 4 fouls....Fortunately, Booker had fouls to give and was able to bang with their big guys when it counted but lest we forget---these are ACC refs doing the game on Sat and Trevor isn't exactly their favorite.

That's why the return of David Potter is of such importance. We'll probably need him to play some defense down low and rebound as well while absorbing some quality minutes. Sure hope he's feeling good on Sat. and is out of danger.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with your assessment.....

Jan 8, 2009, 4:12 PM

Clemson's pressure defense and State's lack of depth and solid guard play will be their undoing. Clemson moves to 16-0 (2-0 in the ACC) with Wake coming to town on 1/17/09.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Thanks Rev!!!***

Jan 8, 2009, 4:37 PM

"Lou Holtz for Pwesident"

hey espn full court is free this week if you dont get the

Jan 8, 2009, 4:45 PM

game on your local listing. i saw a ad that said full court will be free starting the 10th thru 17th i think so people like me will get it cause we are supposed to get the ga tech game on raycom

a la White Heat:

Jan 9, 2009, 10:31 AM

The Tigers should shove State into the trunk and then give them some air holes.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,488
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic