Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tonight's Game: Clemson vs. Hofstra
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 454

Tonight's Game: Clemson vs. Hofstra

Nov 14, 2008, 9:27 AM

The heck with who's TDP talking to! I know who OP's been talking to ... Hofstra.

And what the Tigers will have to say isn't very pretty. Sure it's the season opener, so take this preview with a large grain of salt fresh from Charleston Harbor.

But the season starts tonight, and I'm eager to see how we're playing...after all, we're a basketball school now!

The Game: Clemson (0-0) vs. Hofstra (0-0)
Where: 9:30 p.m. in Charleston, the first round of the Charleston Classic.
Is it on TV? Do you have CSS? You've probably got a better shot of watching soccer on Univsion. The game will be on the Tigers' basketball network.
So, who the heck is Hofstra? Good question. The last time Clemson played them (winning 91-58) a couple of kids named Elden Campbell and Dale Davis started for the Tigers.

Last year the Pride (yes that's Hofstra's team nickname...sort of like Carolina Pride, the breakfast sausage I guess) went 12-18. They've lost their last three season-openers. However, they did beat UNC-Charlotte last year, and gave UNC-Wilmington fits, so they aren't total who-dats. They made the NIT the past three years before last season, with wins over Nebraska and St. Joe's.

Oh and they return four starters from last year's team, including six seniors. They will be nothing if not experienced.

Jenkins

Who should we look for? Fortunately for Clemson, one guy who isn't returning is Antoine Agudio, the all-time socring leader in Hofstra history. That may be a little like being the best ballet dancer in Bennettsville, but hey it looks good on his resume playing pro ball in the Phillippines.

Taking the shooting guard spot is Charles Jenkins (15 ppg last year). The 6-3 sophomore was the conference rookie of the year. Senior Greg Johnson returns at the point. The Pride are solid shooters from beyond the arc.

At forward, two seniors return as starters, Darren Townes and Dane Johnson. At 6-10, 265, Johnson is trouble on the defensive boards. He led whatever league Hofstra plays in for blocked shots last year. Townes is more of a James Mays sort of player at 6-7, 210.

Hofstra has picked up some addition muscle inside with juco transfer Miklos Szabo. Last year he was the top rebounder in junior college basketball (15 rpg.)

The Pride isn't as fast as Clemson, but they've worked together for a while. They're predicted to land in the middle of the Colonial Conference, but have the players to move up.

How will Clemson respond? No Mays. No Perry. No Hammonds.

No problem...atleast against Hofstra.

While the Tigers showed way too much sloppiness while disemblowing USC-Aiken last week (22 turnovers while forcing 24) they were amazing (well, for Clemson) from the free throw line. Personally, I'll trade some turnovers for 70 percent free throws any day of the week.

By the way, the starting lineup from that game (Demontez Stitt and Terrence Olesby at guard, Ray Sykes and KC Rivers at forward and Trevor (the 7th most intimidating man in college basketball Booker) at center) will likely be the starting lineup tonight.

Booker, Rivers and Olgesby hit double figures (Booker coming close to a double-double in about 20 minutes of play) against the Pacers. David Potter was strong off the bench and newcomer Andre Young saw a lot of work at guard. Also watch for Tanner Smith beyond the arc as the season progresses.

The Tigers pressed and pressed, liberally substituting to keep up intensity. Count on them to pressure Johnson and Jenkins throughout the game tonight.

The key to the game: It's going to be fun watching Booker and Dane Johnson. If the refs let them play there could be some major bumping.

Beyond that, Clemson's skill should overcome Hofstra's experience. If Clemson can hit FTs like they did against USC-Aiken and take better care of the ball against Hofstra's more passive zone, the Tigers should take control in the second half.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice preview Rev....

Nov 14, 2008, 9:36 AM

looking forward to the start of another basketball season! Should be exciting. Anxious to get a look at the freshman tonight (Young and Smith, Baciu is suspended).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hofstra is a good team to open with...

Nov 14, 2008, 9:41 AM

Good enough to challenge us, but we should be able to play most everyone. We may have more fun with (I assume) TCU tomorrow. but let's get this one first.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigers favored by 18 over Hofstra*************

Nov 14, 2008, 10:13 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then I'm taking the points.

Nov 14, 2008, 10:54 AM

The Pride isn't that bad, and Clemson will be playing a lot of people to keep us fresh for TCU, then Temple or CoC (and Bobby Cremmins) after that.

18 would be logical later in the year, but a little steep to me this early.

Replies: 4
| visibility 454
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic