Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dan Scott on Duke Debacle (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Dan Scott on Duke Debacle (long)

Apr 27, 2008, 8:55 PM

Dan Scott. I personally like Mickey and Walt. I liked a few of the other hosts WCCP has had a long the way from when they switched to the sports talk format about 10 years ago. I think Dan Scott has been a perfect hire. I know he makes mistakes which is he quick to correct. I know he doesn?t allow as much "piling on" when it comes to burying the chickens or anyone else.... except Clemson. I am as big of a Clemson fan as anyone, but I do think Dan allows us to take heaping helpings of reality when we need it. I honestly think that is a good thing. Being humble about ourselves and not doing the amount of boasting that some other teams do. Clemson fans tend to talking negative about ourselves when we are in the mind set of communicating amongst ?our on? so I think that is ok. I know we have a few (1 is more than acceptable) fans that are obnoxious, but when I hear that I usually say something like "don?t act like a ### fan" I have communicated with Dan on several issues that seem to be recurring issues:

Clemson Football: Under achieving since Coach Rod left in 2000. Not that in particular as far as that being the conversation but all the peripheral issues as to play selection and utilization of certain talents and digressing into running just 4-5 plays when we get a lead. Not paying enough attention to detail like to special teams. Not switching back and forth from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and playing more man coverage, as well as not putting more QB?s on their fannies. You have to allow a defensive coach to bring some heat. Occasionally bringing pressure is a risk/reward proposition but I personally think it allows us to have a lot more 3 and outs. As far as the coach, I personally believe this issue will work its self out this year. We win 11 plus and an ACC title and the nay-sayers will have to hush for a while. If we win 9 or less this year, the heat will be very hot in the kitchen. I personally think that of as to all the peripheral elements of being a head football coach, you can find no better than what "this" Bowden has done. As far as all the on the job training it?s time to put the proof in the pudding. We will soon find out. The "we will find out soon" seems to be Dan?s position now.

ACC bias: If you ask Dan, he can tell you that I have mentioned to him that Clemson routinely gets "jobbed" by the ACC. I have mentioned dozens of first hand examples of things that should be consciously unacceptable to anyone that believes in a level playing ground. So Dan, being from a place that is outside our immediate viewing area, when I stated "FACTS" about how Clemson has been short-changed, I must have sounded like a raving lunatic. I must have sounded like someone that had wanted to explain every Clemson loss as the fault of the Refs and the ACC. That is not true. I could use as an example, UNC outplayed us in the ACC basketball championship game. We lost that game. In that game, the officiating was not the determining factor. Fast forward to Dan and his outrage at what happened at Duke last weekend, Dan you are getting a first hand view of how the ACC feels about Clemson. The "unbiased" observer of these events must look at the bigger picture. Let?s go back to 1981 when Clemson won a National Championship in college football. Our detractors want to point to the probation, 70 something minor violations, and 5 major violations. Two of those major violations have to do with a Knoxville developer that paid his employees Christmas cash bonuses, one of which?s mother had worked for the developer before he was born. The 1st kid started working for the developer before the 7th grade, just cleaning up new houses. The other kid, started working for the developer after the 9th grade way before either were determined to be division I prospects. UT decided to offer both kids cash (how did they not get investigated, must be like the proof of the Tee Martin $5,000 cashed check) and rat out Clemson, we didn?t release them from their LOI?s. So Jim Lampley deiced on airing his grievance on national TV during the UNC vs Clemson football game in 1981. What a circus, Lampley (UNC grad, 2x convicted wife beater) started the ball rolling against Clemson, one of the other major violations had to do with the QB getting his mother to co-sign a loan for him to buy a 3rd hand Datsun. The loan manager because he was a Clemson grad didn?t get his bosses approval. This was not necessary for anyone else, but because he was a division I player the NCAA got us. What "major" offenses? The ACC in their infinite wisdom showed how much they loved Clemson, so they decided on adding another year to the probation of the NCAA? I have personally been told by Clemson athletic department officials for the last 25 years that ?its 1989?.1994?.1999?.2002?.2007, it won?t happen anymore.? I know that it will happen until someone has the ability to blacken the eye of the ACC in the national media. When someone has the ability to point out the undisputable, and the tobacco road schools are embarrassed and held accountable things will change. Dan, in your account, what happened was unconscionable, but what we as Clemson fans see is the ACC maintaining the statuesque. If Clemson was able to file a 100-200 million dollar law suit against the ACC and win, we may then see change. Until then, expect similar ?jobbing.? If you are taking heat from your stance, you have two options, dig deeper or give up? I am not suggesting either, but listening to ?other school?s fans? belittle Clemson fans for griping about outcomes brings two thoughts to mind. The first is that it?s a way to get us to shut up. The second is that they know we are right but want to pile on. In either case we as Clemson fans don?t want the "### fans" to be part of the conversation. I am glad that you see that maybe I wasn?t as full of hooey as you thought I was, I am not glad that it continues to happen, but I don?t see it stopping anytime soon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

anyone who thinks we cheated to win in 1981 needs to read

Apr 27, 2008, 9:33 PM

this. those violations were a joke and most involved those two Tennessee kids that never played a down for us. most people don't know this. their ignorance leads them to believe that we payed a bunch of 5 star players to play for us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's a good link for those that would like to look up the

Apr 28, 2008, 9:06 AM

infractions. It has a couple of database links.

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic