Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tonight's Game: Clemson at Ga. Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,008

Tonight's Game: Clemson at Ga. Tech

Mar 6, 2008, 6:15 AM

Updated with tonight's line

The Game: Clemson (21-7, 9-5) at Ga. Tech (12-16, 5-9)
When: Tonight, 7 p.m. in the Thrillerdome
The Line: Clemson is a 1-point favorite, just like at the Maryland game.
Is it on TV? Yep, on ESPN2. A national audience checking in to see if we have another miracle comback.
Ugh! Not again! My heart can't take it. Surely we'll do better against the woeful Jackets, right? Normally, I'd say yes, but three things may make this interesting: 1. It's at the Thrillerdome, where we have a tradition of wretched play. 2. It's Senior Night, and if we're looking ahead to our own Senior Night, we could get surprised, and 3. Cliff Hammonds and his wrist fracture. He says it won't affect his play, but Lord love him, you know it's got to.

GTech's hurting a bit too, right? GTech's sparkplug guard Matt Causey (8 ppg, 3 asst) is uncertain for the game. But since it's Senior Night, I can't see him missing it. In his stead Maurice Miller (8 ppg, 2 reb, 3 asst, 5 against UVa.) has stepped in, but the Jackets looked leg weary at guard in their loss to the Hoos.

The best players in that game were Zach Peacock (10 ppg, 4 boards, but 23 against UVa.) and Anthony Morrow (14 ppg, 5 reb). Lewis Clinch (9 ppg, 2 reb) and Jeremis Smith (10 ppg, 7 boards) helped keep things close, but the Hoos guard play was too much for Tech.

Defending the perimter continues to be a problem for Tech. With 6 losses in their last 7 games (and Wake has to be wondering how they let their games slip away) the Jackets are getting sliced up by outside shooting and quick guards. They're turning the ball over more than getting assists, getting about 34 rebounds per game, and aside from Causey, the Jackets are hitting about 25 percent of their 3s in the past five games.

That sounds like a tired team. Toss in the one day's less rest going against our press, and it should be a rough game for GTech.

But ... and there's always a but, right? Right. the Tigers haven't put together two solid halves since the last time we played Tech. One half we're world beaters, the other half we stink. As important as this game is, I honestly don't expect to see anything different against Tech.

Why not? Because despite VTech winning Tuesday and miami winning last night, everything we want can be accomplished by beating VTech on Sunday. This game is one for potential seeding in the NCAAs, but that's about it. We mashed Tech earlier this year, so there's no revenge factor. With Hammonds (12 ppg, 4 reb, 4 asst, 2 steals) hurting, Demontez Stitt (9 ppg, 2 reb, 3 assts) will be counted on for more point duty.

Also our guys are getting tired as well, so the press will be less intense. expect to see more of the 1-3-1, especially of Causey does play.

One major reason to be more optimistic is the rebirth of our inside game. A mitt-free James Mays (11 ppg, 7 reb, 2 asst, 2 st) who had 20 against Maryland, and a resurgent Trevor Booker (11 ppg, 8 reb 2 blocks) The inside game may help make up for Hammonds. Essentially, we may be trading one fracture for another.

KC Rivers (15 ppg, 6 reb, 2 asst, 2 st) is coming off a tough game, and his shooting average should get a boost against Tech's so-so 3-point defense. Of course, Terrence Oglesby (10 ppg, 2 reb) will be in the spotlight after his dagger to the Terps.

Lost in the shuffle, but critical if Hammonds can't go, is David Potter (6 ppg, 3 reb, 1 asst) as an additional outside threat who can play larger if necessary. Jerai Grant and Ray Sykes will be in the game a lot as well, as the Tigers try to stay as fresh as possible.

How did we beat these guys last time? We jumped on the Jackets early and never looked back. If you recall it was a statement game after losing to UNC. No letdown, no letup. It was probably the best we've looked a whole game. Hammonds had 22 points, and the Tigers hit 50 percent of their 3s and 72 percent of their free throws. A repeat of that performance would guarantee a win at the Thrillerdome.

But the win really doesn't mean much? I didn't say that. What I said was the VTech game means more. And VTech will come in motived after whipping Wake Tuesday night. It's also a chance to finish .500 on the ACC road since .... Lord knows when. However Sunday's game means much more. With that in mind, we may play mentally holding back. And we NEED this game to guarantee a Top 4 finish.

The bottom line: What happens? If Clemson can disrupt GTech's offense, we'll win. The Jacket defense, especially from the outside, isn't good enough to survive without a consistent offense.

GTech's worst losses have come when their opponents are clicking on offense. It's the old formula: force turnovers, hit the 3s and free throws and we can go into Sunday knowing we've already earned a day off at the tourney.

But we haven't earned it yet. We can't afford to think we have.

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the guarantee day off Thursday gets our guys...

Mar 6, 2008, 6:56 AM

...ready to play tonight.

If we had 4th already locked up (i.e. had Miami lost last night), I may think we'd mail this one in.

Clemson will win this game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Playing for seeding in NCAA's make it a huge game. We

Mar 6, 2008, 7:04 AM

don't want to drop back and be an 8 seed. We want to go forward and be a 5 or better.

If we can play intense D for 40 minutes, that would prevent us from having the offensive lulls like we did against FSU and UMD.

Thanks, Rev.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed. We want the highest seed possbl....(duh) bc it will

Mar 6, 2008, 7:20 AM

keep us closer to home. Hopefully Birmingham, Tampa, or D.C. so that I can book a flight on orbitz and go watch my Tigers! We all know Raleigh is a lock for UNC and Duke.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tonight's Game: Clemson at Ga. Tech

Mar 6, 2008, 8:27 AM

I would expect Tech to collapse on the interior and force us to beat them from the perimeter. We have proven our capability to shoot a dreadful percentage so this may be their best hope. With Hammonds diminished capacity, that will put alot of pressure on KC because Stitt is not a strong perimeter jumpshooter. Hopefully he rebounds from the Maryland drought as we may really need his contribution tonight.

Moving forward with Stitt, I would work Demontez very very hard over the summer on penetrating to the foul line and pulling up for a more consistently makeable 12-15 footer. He has a phenomenal first step and there is usually a gap before he gets to the interior defense. Due to the college lovefest with the 3 and the need to extend on defense, this is part of the game that seems to be wide open for exploitation throughout the college game. Interestingly, this is an area that Potter takes advantage of when he gets the minutes. Moving the line back a foot next year may even widen the gap and with the range of Rivers and Oglesby it would be a crime not to capitalize.

In addition, by taking this shot regularly you also get interior defenders to come out from underneath the basket leaving rebounders more space to ply their trade.

Go tigers

I hope it doesn't rain tonight...

Mar 6, 2008, 8:28 AM

the thrillerdome is getting a little leaky these days.

By the way...good job Rev.

One mental factor in our favor....

Mar 6, 2008, 9:54 AM

we are 'in' the NCAA tourney, and that monkey is off the guys' back. Maybe having that burden lifted will give our guys a little extra momentum and confidence, even a little aggressiveness that may have to be reigned in.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,008
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic