Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Clemson University Comment and Appeal:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

A Clemson University Comment and Appeal:

Feb 19, 2007, 6:02 AM

If you have been on this board to see my occasional post over the last few years, or whether you haven't, thanks for looking....

Back to the days of current and early Tigernet, there have been wonderful heartfelt posts. Most were inspired by some sort of historical memory, whether it was a wondrous night of campus walking, family events across generations, even drunken moments during victorious sporting events, meeting that special some one, or simply marveling at the beauty of the upstate of South Carolina...there are many posts, both put on the internet and many more within the heads of those who have been to and wish to pay tribute to Thomas Green Clemson's vision and university.

Since 1889, The University has had a wonderful history.....surely points of pride, some miss-steps, visions of education, setbacks of reality, leadership, both wonderful and occasionally lacking...like most universities, these events add up to a litany of local lore, wondrous tales of that extra effort, the professor that went beyond 'teacher' that lead to inspiration, the occasion to wonder what is next; the changes and challenges of the modern ages. Both men and women, have come and gone through the gates that were created back in that late 1800's...throughout this, it is my belief that we have maintained an uncommon bond, a source of family that goes beyond a degree, a hand shake. We are tight, we are proud, we are Clemson. Sure, everyone loves their alma mater; as they should...yet, the combined relationships of those that graduated along with those whom are stirred by the echo of the Tiger.....are so powerful, it is simply a wondrous mixture of passion and love that belong to this university.

When visiting your sons, daughters, cousins and family members around this great nation of ours; attending graduations and events at colleges and universities across this country - you smile, applaud, and pride fully cry at there accomplishments. Yet, silently, you naturally are drawn to an internal comparison, an often longing for those who did not attend or those who are not acquainted ...to come with you for a moment, a stroll, at best a weekend, a ball game, a walk across grounds, a meal within town.....something to show them why you hold the Clemson University ground with such regard.. ...

The recent weeks have had us hot and cold regarding the administrative and executive leadership regarding our university. We have heard internal stories, seen public responses, guessed and speculated what each role within Clemson is facing.... when examined on the front end, it is pretty difficult to jump on an administration or leadership that is attempting to bring academic leadership to the university. Who among us is going to argue against that goal? Only the most cynical view would belittle that goal; we have seen the occasional internal issue that caused both student and alumni to pause and take reflection, and at yes pivotal times take action.....

Oh how I hate to be a poster whom says this sort of comment...but recent insight has clarified that both rumor and reality are accurate, if not even worse in the day to day rumored administration view of managing academic entrance for athletes. I hate to post within the internet, the term FACT, however, as you will see over the next few weeks the recent recruitment issues are simply reality. There is a committee which shapes the ability and limits your coaching staffs with regards to the recruitment process. The rumors and events reported upon over the last several weeks are not only on the money, there is a list of athletic signatures across your peer groups, that signed with alternative college choices, in many cases because your staff was told not to recruit those players as they entered their senior years. Substantial relationships have yielded to predictive academic committee?. Many of these events are simply not public nor can they be based on legal commentary: while it is fine to discuss aggregate academic data, it is illegal to publicly discuss an individual?s grades and results in a public forum. Regardless, the frank situation is this: there are NCAA standards for athletes, and then there are another set of standards prepared by the AARC within Clemson University, whom predict the future based for athletic scholarship candidates. .

If the presidents of colleges across America woke up tomorrow and said, 'what are we doing; we are no longer a farm systems for professional athletics...' then I have every confidence that our university will both lead and participate in such a high minded view of this topic. Rightly, or wrongly....that is not the issue at hand......universities/colleges are in the business of admitting both good and marginal students within the realm of athletic academics. We see wonderful tales of kids whom struggled prior to college life, and then right themselves and earn a degree...and we also see kids whose purpose is to survive academia...for a hopeful draft date.

We are fortunate to have athletic leadership within the football program, where these issues are taken seriously. Attend class, study hall etc. and stay on the team. We are fortunate to have leadership that takes that seriously. This commitment will surely pay off across future generations; ask the kid that thought they would be in the NFL, but doesn?t make?whether having a degree will make a difference throughout their life.

Bottom line; the existing committee is not playing by the same rules of USC, UNC, UGA, UVA, Notre Dame, for that matter, your friends at Duke or Wake Forest. You have a committee which is looking at probability of a student and making judgment with regards to whether they can or cannot cut it at Clemson. It is both offensive and arrogant, that we have created a belief that we have statistical evidence that yields a winning formula for graduation.

This is the first of my posts regarding an organized boycott of certain aspects regarding our university. To begin with, the Clemson Fund will be looking for you to re-affirm your commitment to our university between now and June 30th, the end of the fiscal year. As a person who has given for 19 consecutive years, often very large pledges as well as post mortem commitment to Clemson, I strongly suggest that you consider and withhold your voluntary academic funding until we see true action or understanding of how our administration has hand-cuffed our athletic leadership across ALL athletic programs. This is not a vote for athletics over academics; this is a vote and required action for a deeper commitment and unification regarding all things Clemson. This is the first of an organized program which will target alumnus and those whom provide Clemson with both fiscal academic funding and future monetary commitment.

Please consider, and take action as I assure you that the rumors and stories you have heard over the last few weeks are the TIP of a very large internal issue.

Let's not see this as a long term negative; rather as an opportunity to correct miss-guided goals...

Yours in Clemson,

Chicago Tiger

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Witholding money from the Clemson Fund only hurts

Feb 19, 2007, 7:16 AM

deserving students. Ridiculous.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barker should have thought beforehand....

Feb 19, 2007, 7:17 AM

every stupid decision has repercussions....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barker should have thought beforehand....

Feb 19, 2007, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Witholding money from the Clemson Fund only hurts ]

every stupid decision has repercussions...

and I am sure everyone, myself included will give what they would have given as soon as he fixes the problem...

Barker should have thought beforehand....***

Feb 19, 2007, 7:26 AM [ in reply to Witholding money from the Clemson Fund only hurts ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Barker should have thought beforehand....***

Feb 19, 2007, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Witholding money from the Clemson Fund only hurts ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yep...It's called "Cutting off the nose to spite the face"

Feb 19, 2007, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Witholding money from the Clemson Fund only hurts ]

Does damage to those with a degree or a stake in the university and to Clemson students that benefit from scholarships.

There will be a review of the process per Barker...no reason to withhold the benefit of the doubt and punish
the school/students without FIRST giving the administration a chance to perfect the system.

great post*

Feb 19, 2007, 7:22 AM

nm

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post, but...

Feb 19, 2007, 7:50 AM

Perception is reality. If there is a boycott of the Clemson Fund - that will be seen as a vote for athletics over academics.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything else you said. But, withholding money from the Clemson Fund is not it. I know I should offer an alternative at this point, but I really don't have one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Clemson University Comment and Appeal:

Feb 19, 2007, 7:56 AM

Let me get this right. The AARC and athletic department can't get their acts together and make a few questionable last minute decisions that hurt a few prospective student athletes. (Quite possibly due as much to errors within the athletic department as to errors within the AARC from what I have read). So our response should be to withhold money from the Clemson Fund and penalize the thousands of future students and student athletes who may attend Clemson in the future. Sorry. I simply fail to see the logic in this.
Yes, both the AARC and the athletic department need to get their acts together to avoid circumstances like this in the future. But making one mistake as "payback" for another just doesn't make sense.

Feb 19, 2007, 8:06 AM

The purpose of withdrawing your donation now to the Clemson Fund is not permament...it is to send a message to the academic side that yes there is a division and the level field is not level, as promised by the president. This message will allow them to ponder what can and should be....once that is realized, then changes should be made and your donation can be sent in at that time.

I see your point, but I think it would be a mistake...

Feb 19, 2007, 8:16 AM

...it would still be viewed as a vote for athletics over academics (especially in the media). Clemson doesn't want that kind of publicity, IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there would be no publicity...

Feb 19, 2007, 8:39 AM

this is an in house matter. Only people giving or with-holding and the administration need ever know.
This is the one way that people can make their voices heard, and if you feel that Clemson is making bad decisions I think it's your responsibility to take action, in whatever small form it might be.

I agree that there SHOULD be no publicity...

Feb 19, 2007, 11:18 AM

But I doubt you could guarantee that.

Ugh! Clear the waters!

Feb 19, 2007, 7:34 PM

muddy waters....

$$ = Voice for average person

Situation: Admin. "appears" to be aware of issues with recruiting. They have stated they will "review" the process.

Take away 1: You believe they will look at it and they will come to the same conclusions you have.

Take away 2: You believe that even if they look at it they won't come to the same conclusions you have.

If you fall under "1" then you do nothing. If under "2" your only option to be "heard" is through giving or lack of it. I don't fault anyone for "speaking" there mind.

I have a hard time taking seriously any long,

Feb 19, 2007, 7:59 AM

babbling post criticizing our academic leaders which is replete with misspellings, grammatical errors, and poor sentence structure. If you are a Clemson graduate, PLEASE go out and get a seventh-grade grammar textbook and do some remedial work on your writing skills.

Flame me if you wish. I simply cannot stomach such drivel, written in the style of a middle-schooler trying to sound erudite.

As for our current "controversy," Barker and TDP both have promised a review of the admissions process. Either you think they're liars, or you should quit fanning flames of discontent until we see what results. The FACT is--since chicago tiger thinks he knows the facts--we just signed an excellent class. The sky is not falling. We may have missed out on one potential contributor, but let's be honest; JoJo is not in the same league with JD or CJ. As long as we recruit well at RB in the next few classes, we're fine at the position.

The bottom line is, I wish people would quit trying to pose as academics when their writing reveals desperate deficiency. Pres. Barker is not an evil man. He does not wish for CTB to fail, nor for our athletics to suffer. Most here had more to say about the timing of JoJo's exclusion than the fact that the AARC deemed him ineligible for admission. TDP has said the timing issue is the fault of the coaching staff. The truth is, JoJo had a year of prep school to get his academics in order. I don't know what his transcript or test scores look like, but he apparently didn't cut the muster with the committee. How about a little trust in our leadership? If something is broken, why not wait and see if they fix it?

If it turns out the AARC was right all along, won't TNet look foolish for all this posing?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I tend to think that people can have good thoughts and ideas

Feb 19, 2007, 8:03 AM

even if they ain't got no good grammar.

LOL.........truth is, I didn't think he had a decent point

Feb 19, 2007, 8:05 AM

in the whole pile of drivel.

Message was edited by: David78®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then just say that and skip the Grammar Police stuff.***

Feb 19, 2007, 8:07 AM

big empty hole.***

Feb 19, 2007, 8:11 AM

Agreed - the grammer police stuff just causes

Feb 19, 2007, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Then just say that and skip the Grammar Police stuff.*** ]

hostility and destroys what could be a constructive discussion or debate of the issues.

Whatever. I had an opinion. It happens to be

Feb 19, 2007, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Then just say that and skip the Grammar Police stuff.*** ]

that those who try to impress with their writing skills should actually have some. A minor point is that those who attempt to criticize our academic leadership for wanting to preserve the academic integrity of Clemson UNIVERSITY, while demonstrating such poor language skills, portray us in a poor light.

Nevertheless, what I really want to say is that I trust everyone in leadership to get it right. I don't see TDP or CTB resigning in disgust over having to compete on an unlevel field. We signed an excellent class. And the bottom line is, we didn't miss out on anyone who would have actually enrolled.

I just wish people wouldn't stir up mud where there is nowhere near the problem that some say there is. There may be some compromise necessary in the process, but I really don't see the AARC trying to harm our football program or keep potential students from receiving scholarships. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

you're looking at actuals...

Feb 19, 2007, 8:48 AM

whereas people who are more worried seem to be looking at theoreticals.
We only lost 1 or 2 guys... true and if you stop there I agree with you it's no big deal. But if the system in place puts our coaches at a disadvantage(hard to say it doesn't with Jones signing the letter to UNC) then it's a problem IMHO. The playing field isn't level and that means Barker's statements make him a liar.
Theoretically this could hurts us in future recruiting classes because a) our coaches are at a disadvantage b) our school has not acted very ethically in dealing with some recruits and c) there is obviously a disconnect between athletics and academics.
These are the things that worry me, and right now you're correct none of them may come true(with the stated exception that the playing field is already not level). But I'm less optimistics than you are that Barker and the admin are really wanting football to get to the highest level as they say. Of course, the reason I don't trust them are their own statements released over the past week.

and.. as the guy posted

Feb 19, 2007, 9:02 AM

it has cost us NUMEROUS recruits we never heard about, WHO did get into other institutions, AND got degrees.

This is much bigger than 1 recruit.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Oops, i mean Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.***

Feb 19, 2007, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Whatever. I had an opinion. It happens to be ]

Per Webster's: academic, scholarly to the point of being

Feb 19, 2007, 9:26 AM [ in reply to I have a hard time taking seriously any long, ]

oblivious to the outside world. Recognize this?

I've never seen a spelling question on the SAT***

Feb 19, 2007, 10:19 AM [ in reply to I have a hard time taking seriously any long, ]

They probably assume high school students can spell

Feb 19, 2007, 11:11 AM

correctly.

Very good post, I have thought of mentioning the same, but

Feb 19, 2007, 11:08 AM [ in reply to I have a hard time taking seriously any long, ]

knew most of the reponses would be similar to those you have got. It appears that very few can spell those things they whine about much less put them in proper,
meaningful sentence stucture. It they did, the subject would have more impact. But alas, it won't change.

Your post disproves your point.

Feb 19, 2007, 11:15 AM

Or can we consider your thoughts unfit for our consumption because of your errors?

The only thing I'm boycotting is your posts from now on***

Feb 19, 2007, 8:38 AM

Your position will be much stronger if you wait until

Feb 19, 2007, 8:51 AM

there is information about the AARC changes from the administration.

Also, as you've seen with the Conderate flag issue, you need to have a very clear definition of what you want for a boycott to reach your final goal. Do you want prep players placed? Anyone who meets NCAA standards meets ours? What about character or criminal records?

In addition, you'll have to think through a was for the 'other side' (assuming you are correct and 'One Clemson' does not exist) to get what they want.

The argument that we aren't getting good players can be undercut by three straight top-20 recruiting classes, so that will be important to address as well.

If it's apparent the administration is not being reasonable, and your logic is sound, and there are no other options, a boycott may make sense. BUt an awful lot needs to fall into place before that hard stance is taken in my mind.

This is a joke, right?

Feb 19, 2007, 9:51 AM

If you have a problem, designate you $$ to the Frank Keller Tnet schloarship , since it gave you a soap box.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Feb 19, 2007, 9:53 AM

You are way out of line - get a life.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic