Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Purpose in Life
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Purpose in Life

Jul 13, 2023, 12:05 PM

Being among the more elderly on the board and having become greatly handicapped just over a year ago has led me to wondering what purpose does God still have for me. I'm not sure that this is the correct purpose or his only purpose for me, but I have noticed as I navigate around stores, sidewalks, and just get in and out of the car how many people go out of their way to see if they can help me. Some it is just speeding up to get to the door and hold it for me. Others asking if they can help me get something off a shelf or freezer at the grocery store. Many times as I am getting in or out of the car people asking if I need help. Last week in mid-afternoon I stopped at my favorite donut shop (the Donut Mill in Woodland Park, CO) to get an apple fritter. They were sold out as they often are at that time of day and I was obviously disappointed since I live 30 miles away and only go there when I have other business in the area. The teen age girls working the counter saw my disappointment just after I left the one came out and said "Sir, we like you to have this, it's a cinnamon roll not a fritter, but we'd like you to have it." I thanked her and told her I'd try again next week when I would be there about the same time. She told me if she was working she would set one aside for me. Just another random act of kindness I have received. So I am thinking my purpose in life at this time is to provide others the opportunity to provide these random acts of kindness.

On the other hand it maybe as my wife says it is to provide a negative example to others. Just kidding she never said that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Purpose in Life

Jul 13, 2023, 12:09 PM

❤️

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2023, 12:10 PM

Never rob someone else of being a blessing, just beware of those that want to broadcast they did it. Great post and thanks for sharing it. Hope you have many more decades of the best things in life.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Jul 13, 2023, 12:10 PM

One of the perks of getting old is "the geezer card".
Folks believe us to be mental idiots. I encourage that as I am by nature -> lazy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the tug abides

Jul 13, 2023, 12:11 PM

Acts of kindness varies greatly across the country. My parents live in Iowa and there seems to be an older population there but you constantly see people helping others out whether its gas, groceries, moving snow.

Living in Charleston area, you dont see the same level of interest in helping others and if you do, its often a older southern gentleman.

I could only smile reading this. Thanks for posting.***

Jul 13, 2023, 12:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The way I see it - which probably isn't worth the less than

Jul 13, 2023, 12:24 PM

a tenth of a cent of bandwidth it takes up - your purpose is to engage these folks that are blessing you and encourage them to spread these random acts of kindness to other folks as well - maybe even to those that seem the least deserving of a blessing.

Can be as simple as - Thank you - I tell my wife all the time that there are still great people out & about - and you are one of them.

or

Thank you - you made my day & now I'm gonna try & pay it forward (and then try & pay it forward how you can) . . .

We all need to get back to a servant's heart - modeling love & grace & forgiveness. And I'm looking most directly at that guy in the mirror right now.

Great post - thanks for sharing - and for the reminder to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I was taught to pay it forward all my life

Jul 13, 2023, 12:44 PM

(although it wasn't called that way back then it was called being a good samaritan) and that is why I'm working so hard to get back to what was my "normal" life. I will be so glad to be able to do those random acts kindness for others again.

By the way it was well worth the bandwidth

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post Rocky***

Jul 13, 2023, 1:16 PM [ in reply to The way I see it - which probably isn't worth the less than ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I can’t get there with the big atrocities that occur,

Jul 13, 2023, 1:14 PM

But in day to day living amongst people, I truly believe there is always the counter beauty to the trials and challenges we face. I respect your reflection and appreciate you sharing it.

I also hope that you accept the acts, seems you do, and know that you’re worth the kindness you receive.

I LOVE music. I have 2 favorite lyrics… one is from the Beatles Abbey Road:

“And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love
That you make.”

I hear it both as permission to receive it and a directive to try my best to give it others in the ways I can daily.

Be well friend, appreciate you.
Go Tigers

null

Jul 13, 2023, 1:26 PM

You have to be humble to let others serve you, that’s hard for me to let others serve me so God is still working on me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 13, 2023, 1:47 PM

I agree it is tough for me as well.

Jul 13, 2023, 1:31 PM

Great post, OldeTiger64! These acts of kindness are a blessing for those people who assist you. God bless you in your recovery.

Jul 13, 2023, 1:49 PM

Great story, I appreciate your reflection and glad so many are helping you along the way. Hope you get an apple fritter next time.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey ‘64..Great observation & sharing it; I see

Jul 13, 2023, 3:42 PM

same thing happening to me @ 82. When putting my boat in water off trailer, a boater next to me will ask my age or offer help..and people in stores will treat me differently or be kinder at times.

But, I also notice I’m not being noticed at all by most people around me which leads me to think I’ve become too crispy to look at.

Use to have the Ladies give me a quick eye & occasional smile til age 75 but all downhill to 82..and I understand since the ole face & body have pruned up..

but inside I’m still 15, adventuresome, happy & still a huge Clemson FB fan & junkie!!

Go TiGERS..Stay Young & Jeep ROCKing!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2023, 3:57 PM

Excellent post. I run almost every morning in my neighborhood. I'm 53 and by no means particularly fast anymore, but there are 3 older-than-me people I see with some regularly when they're doing their morning walks. I've managed to get the names of 2 of them as we've passed. One is Tom, who lives on the street behind me and was a painter for many years and he has next to no cartilage left in his knees, but he still gets out there and walks almost every morning (saw him one morning when I was walking the dog and had a little more time to chat!). Tom is probably in his 60s. Another is Terry who I'm guessing is in his mid to late 70s. Looks like a cool guy. Has a pony tail and a very gravely voice. I've never really gotten to chat with him, but just say Hi in passing. The other is a lady who walks her blind terrier every morning. It makes me feel good to say Hi to them when I see them, and I always try to tell them that it's good to see them - and it really is! I hope when I'm their ages (whatever those ages are) I'm still out and doing what I can. And hopefully they enjoy a "younger person" saying hi to them and treating them like a peer and not just running by "On your left" like some do. Sometimes seeing one or all of them is the highlight of my run and even day.

Jul 14, 2023, 7:45 AM

The flip side of this is, as an older person you become more aware of the older folks around you. I know that I personally perform these acts of kindness that you described so well. I’ve never been an evil person but rarely is there a day that I don’t go out of my way to show my respect and admiration of older folks that I see. Wearing an old Tiger T shirt or one of my many caps gives these acts an additional meaning. Being a nice guy is really very easy and I hope that ALL my Tiger brethren knows this,

A first class post by this Tiger netter.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic