Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Today would have been my father's 93rd birthday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Today would have been my father's 93rd birthday

Jun 19, 2023, 10:52 AM

I am always sad when it comes so close to Father's day. The crash of great memories and lost time always stings the most. I am thankful for all the time he spent with me and taught me how to be a man, a father and later in his life a true Christian. He had flaws, made mistakes and lived life fully. Many of you have read my comments I am sure, where he played professional baseball until injuries cut it short, played professionally on the billards tour for several years and was in the military for the end of WW2 and Korea. He was a POW. All of that to say this, his biggest accomplishment he ever did was to show me how to love people. There were many times he did things for others without them knowing that he did it. Paid their bills, slipped money in their pockets, and the list would be long. He taught me that if you have it to give, then give it. But if you do then do it without praise for that is the true reward.

Anyways, like I said he was not perfect. His life had many chapters, some great, some sad and some tragic, but yet do we all not share these same struggles. So to everyone out there reading this, thanks for just letting me get this rambling off my chest this morning. I am sure it is not written correctly or it has run-on sentences. However, today I want to celebrate the impact and importance that we can all make on each others lives. Let us live it freely, yet mindful. Fully, but not excess. Let it be full of Tiger Touchdowns and National Championships, but if is not then let you find joy in the journey.

Thanks Dad!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Today would have been my mom's 104th birthday.

Jun 19, 2023, 10:58 AM

Later in life, she would always remind me on MY birthday, that October 20, 1954 was a tough day for her, since I was determined to come into the world feet first. Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Today would have been my mom's 104th birthday.

Jun 19, 2023, 11:07 AM

To those we long to see again 76er. May this be a great day of memories and joy

My mother turned 95 yesterday

Jun 19, 2023, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Today would have been my mom's 104th birthday. ]

Still at her home alone with relatives next door. Spent parts of Friday and Saturday there. Got to be tough to get to that age and tougher to make it through each day

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My mother turned 95 yesterday

Jun 19, 2023, 2:47 PM

Thats awesome clover and glad you got to spend time with that special lady.

I'm late but Happy Birthday MommaClover!!!

Jun 20, 2023, 12:49 PM [ in reply to My mother turned 95 yesterday ]

clover65®

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like you had a pretty good pop...

Jun 19, 2023, 10:59 AM

makes a huge difference!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spent time with mine this weekend

Jun 19, 2023, 12:40 PM

He’s 86. He liked rose bushes I brought him and enjoyed the dinner I took over and playing uno.

Sorry yours is not around anymore

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spent time with mine this weekend

Jun 19, 2023, 12:51 PM

Thank you and glad you had that time yesterday

My Dad would have been 93 today, too ! A Clemson Man thru

Jun 19, 2023, 12:55 PM

and thru . . . .

Graduated Clemson in 1951, 2 years in the Air Force (required), rest of his life showing love & kindness & loyalty & commitment.

Tremendously well-versed in a lot of things - cars, home air conditioning, pinewood derby cars, a fix anything kinda guy.

I need to honor him by being more patient and forgiving. Happy Birthday Dad - you are greatly missed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: My Dad would have been 93 today. Clemson Man thru

Jun 19, 2023, 1:43 PM

Wow they were born on the same day. A great generation of men and women.

No doubt. A lot of the Greatest Generation was still

Jun 19, 2023, 2:26 PM

modeled by my Dad.

Born in Greenville, SC - in the house he grew up in - that is still in our family.

I guess your Dad was born in Ohio ? ?

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: No doubt. A lot of the Greatest Generation was still

Jun 19, 2023, 2:43 PM

No he was born near Edisto Island. I moved up to Ohio for a job right when I joined Tigernet. Ohio State was not even a team we had played since Woody Hayes last game. If I would have known we would have played them so often afterwards I probably would have used a different name.

Yeah - I know - I just like giving you

Jun 19, 2023, 4:15 PM

crap about your stupid user name.

Great OP . . . .

Thank you for sharing ohiotiger

Jun 19, 2023, 2:17 PM

I lost my granddad in August of 2000... He was much more of a Dad to me than Granddad. My grandparents raised me from about age 3 or 4 until graduated high school and sent me to college and always made sure I had what I needed.

It is hard to believe it has been 23 years since we lost him to cancer, but on what would have been his 98th birthday it hits really hard. June 19th will always be a hard day, simply because selfishly I wish he were here, but at least I know he is not suffering and is in a betterplace.

As stated earlier, made sure I had everything I needed, and nothing that I didn't need...that lesson took a long time to learn, and through many bad choices I was able to finally understand. He was a saver, never spent money when he did not have too, and fully understood money in a way that I do not think I ever will fully appreciate.

Reading your post, I could feel the emotion you had putting that into words. Raised a Christian, always stay busy, save as much money as you can, do not speak more than is necessary, and listen. My granddad had his flaws as well, but in my mind as a kid being raised, he had none. As a U.S. Navy veteran who served in and during Korean War, he learnied his trade in the military (barber for 50+ years before his death).

Blessings to you my friend, best wishes to you and to a special upcoming season of Clemson Tiger football.

Go Tigers, and go all Dads out there raising kids to be great adults.

Re: Thank you for sharing ohiotiger

Jun 19, 2023, 2:46 PM

Thanks and great post. Glad you had that strong example and some body to look up to. For all those who don't I feel bad for you. Yet here you stand today and you have made something out of yourself, you could have been a Gamecock fan lol

Re: Thank you for sharing ohiotiger

Jun 19, 2023, 2:52 PM

LOL, I am thankful for that the most. My Moms family is from Clover, SC and are half Clemson and half Lamecock...even have a few relatives now that graduated from both Clemson and South Carolina, so the family dynamic is ever evolving but Clemson football reigns supreme at all times

Have a great day, until our next TNET meeting.

Re: Today would have been my father's 93rd birthday

Jun 19, 2023, 2:18 PM

Great Post. 2 TU

Jun 19, 2023, 5:26 PM

Sounds like a great guy and a decent son

Jun 19, 2023, 6:23 PM

Thanks Drew!

Jun 19, 2023, 7:22 PM

Who did he play for?

Jun 20, 2023, 12:37 AM

Philadelphia A’s and Brooklyn Dodgers

Enjoyed your post. Heartfelt words, no doubt.***

Jun 20, 2023, 5:50 AM

Jun 20, 2023, 1:07 PM

God Bless

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic