Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Happy birthday ya old geezer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 51

Happy birthday ya old geezer

Apr 23, 2023, 7:16 AM
jb.jpg(194.2 K)

would have been number 89 today

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Happy birthday to the voice of the Tigers!!!

Apr 23, 2023, 7:28 AM

🙏🙂

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Happy birthday ya old geezer

Apr 23, 2023, 7:46 AM

We sure miss him, Striper.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

EVERYBODY misses your dad. Happy Birthday in Heaven

Apr 23, 2023, 7:50 AM

to The Voice of the Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2023, 7:50 AM

him a jerry butler. I met him a couple times. he was a master at his craft and a very nice man. Every time I hear his work I realize how lucky we were then to have him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2023, 8:06 AM

I know you miss him!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2023, 8:21 AM

Always remember you will see him again one day

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There will NEVER be another voice . . .

Apr 23, 2023, 8:26 AM

that rings, “This is Clemson Football” like your Dad’s!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday to Our STANDARD!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2023, 8:27 AM

Jim will always be THE Voice of the Tigers. I miss him.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 23, 2023, 8:27 AM

Happy Birthday to the voice of the Tigers!

Happy Birthday to Jim!

Apr 23, 2023, 8:28 AM

Many great memories associated with his work as the voice of The Clemson Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 23, 2023, 8:56 AM

He’s sorely missed. Thanks for sharing him with all of us!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2023, 9:41 AM

I know you miss him. We all do as well. Radio calls have not been the same since we lost “The voice of the Clemson Tigers”.

Apr 23, 2023, 9:43 AM

Happy birthday Jim!

Enjoy the happy memories Striper!

Happy Birthday JP!***

Apr 23, 2023, 10:33 AM

I will never forget him calling the Maryland game up there..

Apr 23, 2023, 10:37 AM

It was tight and we were on about our own 30.. And Jim says," Fuller drops back and throws to Dwight OVER THE MIDDLE..."....and it just went silent....for like 30 or 40 seconds...and then Jim comes back (The radio signal did not go out, JIM JUST WENT SILENT) ..."and Clemson lines up for the extra point".........

WE HAD SCORED ABOUT A 60 yard td and Jim got soooooh excited I guess he just forgot to talk....

Re: I will never forget him calling the Maryland game up there..

Apr 23, 2023, 12:17 PM

I went to that game. One of the best I've ever seen

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He actually said, "and he is off to the races"

Apr 23, 2023, 2:17 PM [ in reply to I will never forget him calling the Maryland game up there.. ]

then you are absolutely correct, he got so excited he forgot to call the TD. He'd used the same phrase, off to the races, 2 other times in the game, with a long TD pass to Butler and a long run by Maryland RB Steve Atkins. People are sometimes forgetful of how huge that game and win were. First ACC title since '67, historic season on the table. Really his first two years of calling great football in '77-'78. He hated he screwed it up, but he could laugh about it

Yes. That is exactly what he said. Was listening to the game

Apr 23, 2023, 3:26 PM

with some fraternity brothers. And we were all like..."What happened....did we score..."....Was Obed our kicker in that game?

Yep, Obed kicked in 77-78***

Apr 23, 2023, 3:33 PM

And let me add...that is what made Jim so great...His BLOOD

Apr 24, 2023, 8:26 PM

was ORANGE. He got so wrapped up in the moment...he did what all of us did...HE JUST WATCHED IN AWE....WE WON THE ACC with that play,Right?

Apr 23, 2023, 11:06 AM

The one and only man that could make you feel like you were at the game when you weren't!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, they don't make them like JP or Larry Munson anymore

Apr 23, 2023, 11:32 AM

You either get total duds or waaaaay toooo hyped up chatterboxes that yak about anything but the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The true radio PBP guy is a dinosaur

Apr 23, 2023, 2:29 PM

most guys today have done more TV than radio, and they are completely different. Dad, Munson, Fulton, Woody Durham, Bob Harris at Duke, Al Ciraldo at Tech, Wally Ausley at State, Johnny Holiday at Maryland, Kaywood Ledford at Kentucky, you knew the game by the voice when scanning the radio. They cut their teeth doing radio. Only a few left, Gene Deckerhoff at FSU, Eli Gold at Bama, a few others out of earshot

Apr 23, 2023, 2:20 PM

The GOAT of Clemson radio broadcasting!!!

R.I.P Jim ...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2023, 2:58 PM

GO TIGERS!!!

Apr 23, 2023, 10:36 PM

All of Clemson misses him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2023, 11:32 PM

I will forever miss your dad striperfan and hearing his voice call the games.Back in the 70's and 80's when Clemson did not play as many tv games when being away from the friendly confines of Death Valley/Memorial stadium as they did from the 90's and on up to this day,it was always great to have Jim Phillip's voice to listen too on Saturday's and even when the Tigers had a tv game that was away I always muted the tv and always had my local radio station on that carried the games and was always like I still do to this day listening while the game was going on.Been a season ticket holder ever since the mid 70's and during the 70's and 80's I would always take my headphones in to the stadium to listen to Jim as he was so good at keeping you informed of every little detail no matter what that went on during the game.Miss hearing ole Jim a lot to this day and there will never be another one like him and as good as he was that is for sure.

Replies: 27
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic