Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "Thinning Of The Herd" 10/9 Edition
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

The "Thinning Of The Herd" 10/9 Edition

Oct 9, 2022, 8:58 AM

Year 5 (I think) of me doing my weekly public service to anybody out there who believes there will be more than 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year vying for a place in the College Football Playoffs. It won’t happen, despite each year worry and angst are abound with people wondering if we will have a decision to make among undefeated teams come playoff time!

The inevitable will happen….it’s called “the thinning of the herd” and I’ll post it each Sunday to help ease those of you that have this annual “fear”

Recap Of Last Week
The team that hosted Game Day became the only victim of being thinned from the herd this week as Kansas lost to TCU. Otherwise, those with 0’s prevailed on this 2nd Saturday in October, but that trend will not continue.

As we move to the middle of October, there are 13 teams that remain unbeaten with dreams of the CFP.

Next Week: Guaranteed Thinning Will Take Place
Penn State travels to Michigan. Could be one of those 13-10 Big 10 slugfests, but somebody is going down.

Alabama at Tennessee. Bama needs to get better at QB quick as this Tennessee team does not seem to have the mental letdowns the past 20+ Volunteer teams have had.

Oklahoma State at TCU. Been a while since this conference had a marquee matchup like we will see on Saturday.

"Upset Alert”
NC State at Syracuse. Not sure how legit Syracuse is yet. Then again, I could say the same for NCSU. Either way, there are many ways the Wolfpack could win in the Carrier Dome.

Clemson at Florida State. FSU showed flashes of being a good football team last night vs. State. But the Seminoles seem snake bit. But a night game in Doak will draw your attention.

USC at Utah. Playing the Utes in Salt Lake City will mean the Trojans need to play their best or the will be in danger of the upset.

Will Keep Winning....For Now
Ohio State and UCLA have a Bye

Vandy at Georgia. The Commodores have been improved, but UGA has already had their wake up calls.

Auburn at Ole Miss. The Tigers just don’t have an offense, so hard to imagine they can score enough points to put it to Kiffen.

Final Thoughts:
We know the herd will be thinned by at least 3, bringing the number of undefeated teams down to 10 by this time next week. I have a hunch someone (let’s hope not Clemson!) slips on upset alert. So my best guess is that we will be down to single digits undefeated when my 10/17 edition is released.

“The Road Back To The College Football Playoffs, Begins With The Tiger Pregame Show”

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My angst isn’t an undefeated getting left out. It’s which 1

Oct 9, 2022, 9:30 AM

loss team gets picked and which ones don’t

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There will be very few 1 loss teams as well

Oct 9, 2022, 10:56 AM

But, to your point, trying to win a beauty pageant with 1 loss teams is not the position any 1 loss team wants to be in....especially in ACC.

Even if we lose a game this year, we are in the CFP if we win the ACC.

Oct 9, 2022, 11:06 AM [ in reply to My angst isn’t an undefeated getting left out. It’s which 1 ]

No doubt about it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I agree

Oct 9, 2022, 11:22 AM

1 loss ACC champ living in Top 5 most of year will get in.

But I prefer not to test that hypothesis.

Re: The "Thinning Of The Herd" 10/9 Edition

Oct 9, 2022, 10:39 AM

Leary was in a sling last night after getting hit and the backup QB looked like he couldn't throw a pass.

Hard to think NC State will do well the rest of the year if Leary is out for any amount of time.

It will be interesting to see what they do going forward if Leary can't play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tough to overcome, but who knows what Syracuse is

Oct 9, 2022, 1:51 PM

Best win was Louisville?

Wagner, Uconn, Virginia, and Purdue were the others.

Re: Tough to overcome, but who knows what Syracuse is

Oct 10, 2022, 3:51 PM

I think Purdue was a much better win than Louisville. Definitely best win for Syracuse.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2022, 12:21 PM

Welcome back in 2022.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2022, 1:15 PM

Been waiting for this. Great post!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks TigerSurvivor®

Oct 9, 2022, 6:16 PM

Go Tigers!

Oct 9, 2022, 1:47 PM

Thanks, Scott. Been saying this for years as well. At this point, it appears anyone (save OSU bc they haven’t played anyone) could take an L. This could be one of a couple years in the past 20 where we see no undefeated teams at year end.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think there is a much greater chance this year

Oct 10, 2022, 5:49 AM

That we have zero undefeated teams after conference championships than any of the playoff era. I don't think that will happen, but when looking at each team's path...I think there is a higher chance this year relative to past years.

bump

Oct 10, 2022, 9:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My bad I was traveling yesterday so missed your post.

Oct 10, 2022, 9:42 AM

Thank you for doing it. It is a good reminder because people freak out yearly. One if we are undefeated we are in and two I think we’ve seen that the right loss if we still win the acc championship we are in. Your posts help remind us of that and I thank you.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always one of my favorite posts on TNET!***

Oct 10, 2022, 1:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic