Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The University of Georgia - just my perspective
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 1

The University of Georgia - just my perspective

Dec 21, 2017, 10:34 AM

I've always had respect for and dislike of the Georgia football program.

For those of us old enough to remember Clemson's resurgence in the late 70s and early 80s, a win against UGA was a signature program win. A Clemson win against them was a good feather in the cap, so to speak. Those contests were some of the best home and away rivalry games played between the two programs. Winning that early season game could determine or even define the season. Brent Musburger's heyday, Danny Ford's heyday, 'the most exciting 25 seconds...', were all wrapped up in that time period.

Vince Dooley was a fine adversary and a good coach. He took UGA to 4 Sugar Bowls, 2 Cotton Bowls (when going to one of the four major bowls was the top of the bell curve) and he led them to a National Championship. Now they had their time in the doldrums with Ray Goff and Jim Donnan, but Mark Richt was no slouch and brought in a ton of talent. He just could not win the big games consistently.

Kirby Smart will take that talent and create Alabama 'light'. He's a Saban disciple and you can already see it coming. They are going to build a strong o-line, run the ball (with 'sho nuff' big and scat back talent) till your tongue hangs out, and then run over the top of you in the fourth quarter. Couple that with a serviceable quarterback who can keep a defense honest in the RPO game, then watch out; that dog will hunt. Kirby, as did Dooley, believes that defense wins championships. He will build a team that is very good on that side of the ball.

My long winded point is this: I won't be sleeping or disrespecting on Athens. They are not South Carolina. They have a good history, good talent, and are capable adversaries.

I will relish in every win Clemson has over them, just as I always have.

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are the cheating accusations & UGA acrimony still loading...

Dec 21, 2017, 10:38 AM

I'll wait.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are the cheating accusations & UGA acrimony still loading...

Dec 21, 2017, 10:54 AM

I agree with the o.p. On this assesment of the dogs. They will be a tough opponent for anyone for years to come with the talent available to them in the state of Georgia. There is no question that their coach can get the job done. Perhaps they play and recruit differently than Clemson but that only makes them a tougher foe. I can see the Tigers and Dogs in the news for years to come. College football in the south is going to get even better and Alabama may not get all the attention as they have for years.

I wish the NCAA would somehow get involved with allowing players to continue to participate in games when they are involved with off the field antics. What do you guys think about that? Some teams will not play a guy with a pot smoking problem while others allow them to participate. Not fair imo. Of course, the NCAA has not shown me in the past that they can do very much right for the game!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are the cheating accusations & UGA acrimony still loading...

Dec 21, 2017, 1:38 PM

Georgia is a penal colony so it is in their blood.

Spank the Puppies!

Dec 21, 2017, 10:43 AM

????

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree but need to point out that

Dec 21, 2017, 10:44 AM

He just recruited a better than "serviceable" quarter back

Ha..liked the "Alabama Light" designation!

Dec 21, 2017, 10:48 AM

Yep, scary to say the least.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree as well***

Dec 21, 2017, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Agree but need to point out that ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The University of Georgia - just my perspective

Dec 21, 2017, 10:47 AM

I remember the rivalry in the early 80's and actually it was bigger than what we had with uscjr. Field goals decided many games back then with Georgia. I know alot of people hate Georgia and rightfully so but I actually have no hatred for the Dawgs unless they play Clemson.

Go Tigers!

Dec 21, 2017, 8:07 PM

If you don't hate UGA then you obviously didn't attend the game there in 1982. If you had you would hate them like I do, with a purple passion.

Dec 21, 2017, 9:02 PM

Amen brother! The walk through the campus to the stadium was like running a gauntlet, things thrown at you, the obscenities toward our wives and the drunks that passed out on the train track and rolled down by the fence, remember the treatment in the stands, and my car was keyed by a drunk coming out of the parking lot right in front of a georgia cop and he laughed.

They are right at the bottom of all time #ss holes when it comes to hospitality. Yes I hate them!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Re: The University of Georgia - just my perspective ]

If you don't hate UGA then you obviously didn't attend the game there in 1982. If you had you would hate them like I do, with a purple passion.

They're leghumping dolts...period.***

Dec 21, 2017, 10:49 AM

You have removed all doubt.***

Dec 21, 2017, 10:50 AM

Uga is a good school with good athletics and full blown ahole

Dec 21, 2017, 10:51 AM

Fans.

I don't understand how a school like that can produce so many small pen1s, insecure supporters.

It makes sense at scar with their low aptitude academic requirements and low performing athletics.

VANDY loses like crazy but their fans have always been cordial.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Oh yeah, the fans are a whole different story...

Dec 21, 2017, 10:56 AM

My Dad and I got peppered with beer bottles at UGA back in the 70s and never went back.

Re: Oh yeah, the fans are a whole different story...

Dec 21, 2017, 12:57 PM

The charges were dropped on the fake $100 bill fraud charge. The other arrest was dropped. Let's keep in mind a kid was caught with weed 3 times. He was suspended 4 games in the middle of the season on the second offense. How many games did Sammy miss on his 3rd or 4th offense?
I respect the hell out of Dabo and Clemson but the hollier than though crap gets old. UGA has THE toughest drug policy in D1 period. This is actually used AGAINST us in recruiting.
To act like he isn't running a tight ship is BS. There are 90+ bars in downtown Athens.
I lived in Clemson. There are what 4? They close at 12 pm on Saturday night. Like Auburn the cops probably call the coach if something is out of line. Thats why they built an amusement park at the football complex. There isn't much else to do.
We we're blasted for underachieving for years. We fired the coach and we're blasted for that. Now we have a guy who wins a SEC in year 2 and we are still getting blasted.
Kirby is a killer. Just like Dabo is. Kirby is Saban like Dabo is to Bobby Bowden. Both killers just one uses the awe shucks good ole boy routine. Both will be around a while and should win a ton of games.

Sammy didn't have a 3rd or 4th offense...

Dec 21, 2017, 1:46 PM

I'm not even sure if he had a 2nd.

Dec 21, 2017, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh yeah, the fans are a whole different story... ]

Huh? Not sure when Sammy had 3 & 4 arrests? What I am sure is Dabo in his first visit to the playoffs sent Cain home for failing a drug test. Smart isn't doing the same thing to Natrez Patrick. Why? Is Smart scared to send his 4th or 5th best defensive player packing? Does he want to play by his own rules? Both don't bode well for the long term for UGA. Smart just pulled arguably the best recruiting class in the country. He has talent to burn coming in. The Patrick situation is a great opportunity to send a message to this team and all this future talent. But Smart does nothing. That speaks volumes about Smart's way he's going to run the program and his own personality.

I love it when other teams bring up dabo and the

Dec 21, 2017, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh yeah, the fans are a whole different story... ]

Right way to do things.

Watkins was immediately sususpended Indefinitely once he was charged over the SUMMER.

The charges were not dropped. Dabo didn't look the other way. Sammy was told he would have to bust his #### before coach decided what his football punishment would be.

Just before the season stared he said sammy had done a good job and would be suspended for the next 2 games. The very next, not pick and choose which 2 games. The 1st being auburn.

Many other fans, especifically SEC fans said it wouldn't stick, there was no way he'd keep an all American on the bench. Well, he did.

Heck, Chad kelly never broke ANY football or school rules and he was booted.

You are probably thinking about Bellamy. He was supended multiple times for breaking TEAM rules before dabo booted him right before the acc champ game.

Please, keep bringing up the comparison to dabo and discipline. It makes you and your desperate coach look worse.

McElwain was the only coach in the sec with the balls to do the right thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 21, 2017, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh yeah, the fans are a whole different story... ]

Sammy Watkins only had 1 drug arrest. Caught with weed, suspended 2 games to start the season. He didn't have a second offense, let alone a 3rd or 4th. Nice first post though.

Splitting hairs but there's actually closer to a dozen or so bars in Clemson and they all close at 2.

Also, like how you call Dabo's personality an "aww shucks good ol' boy routine" like he isn't just a hillbilly from Alabama. What you see is what you get with that guy.

You do realize most everything you said

Dec 21, 2017, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh yeah, the fans are a whole different story... ]

in that post is either made up bullcrap or delusional nonsense. Right?

You're a fraud.

Dec 22, 2017, 1:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Oh yeah, the fans are a whole different story... ]

"How many games did Sammy miss on his 3rd or 4th offense?"

I must have missed that one! You have a link to Sammy having 3rd and 4th offenses?

You need to get your facts straight and then come back. Until then TD for an ignorant rant.***

Dec 22, 2017, 5:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Oh yeah, the fans are a whole different story... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2017, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh yeah, the fans are a whole different story... ]

Retarded post by a ###### is still retarded.

You have to study the State of Georgia dynamic

Dec 21, 2017, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Uga is a good school with good athletics and full blown ahole ]

and after living here for almost 20 years, I think I've begun to understand the state and the UGA fanbase.

The State of Georgia is really 3 different states surrounded by 1 border. You have North Georgia which is roughly north of I-20 from basically Augusta through just north of Macon to Columbus. You have Atlanta which is basically surrounded by North Georgia. You have "South" Georgia. Ga residents will claim a "middle" Georgia that is different from South, but really you just have South Ga folks that live on ground that isn't completely flat.

So what you have at a UGA game is a mix of all these types of folks. Basically you are taking West Virginia, Alabama and Atlanta yankees and mixing them together. Mountain people, rednecks and overprivileged frat boys....You are bound to have a combustion even without football thrown on top of them. Throw in an overactive police presence to kick if all off.

And the kicker is, none of these folks even know that UGA has anything other than a football team. Its actually gotten a little better now that the cost of going to games has increased.

Once you understand that, its actually a fun place to tailgate before a game. You just have to find your crowd.

Its quite the opposite from South Carolina that just try to make their opponents feel unwelcome by just being massive jagoffs.

Dec 21, 2017, 10:54 AM

They will be good. We may play them several times in the CFP over the next decade.

Over the next 5 years or so, I think UGA will challenges Bama in that conference, Texas will challenge OU, ad Penn State will challenge Ohio St. We'll be seeing lots of those teams in the CFP.

My feeling is I expect Clemson to play very good teams in the CFP, so I don't really care who they are.

Kirby is a talented apprentice to Nick

Dec 21, 2017, 11:05 AM

However, many talented apprentices fail to come anywhere near the accomplishments of their Master. This is especially true amongst The Alabama Roll Sith Lords. Kirby hopefully will follow the path of Darth Maul - lots of potential but just couldn't measure up in the end.

Dec 21, 2017, 11:12 AM

The question is going to be off-the-field stuff.

Kirby is not recruiting like Saban did. Won't go into it, but it appears he learned nothing from his boss. That kinda stuff tends to come out in the wash, though.

He also is not maintaining the same sort of tightly-controlled culture Saban did. At all. The real kicker is going to be: can Kirby maintain control. Athens is a tough town to do that in; even Mark Richt - who was as straight an arrow as there is in college football - really struggled to manage it, and Kirby's aggressive frat-boy "savages" approach is kind of like chumming the water for a bunch of sharks.

Jimbo Fisher lost control at FSU. It appears Butch Jones never had control at Tennessee. And those were schools that both out-recruited Clemson on paper (FSU by a bunch) the last five years.

I'm personally dubious Kirby is going to be successful over the long term. I think he might be at or near his high-water mark already. FSU and Florida are also going to be back next year and they compete for a lot of the same kids in the same region...and if Kirby starts to stumble, a whole lot of knives are going to be out and that locker room could spin out completely.

Agree. Athens is a much different town.

Dec 21, 2017, 11:23 AM

I think Kirby adjusts and enables that somewhat....more so than the Richt disciplinarian approach.

I also don't think Kirby can duplicate the Alabama model, but he will try.

I would like to hear your recruiting take. When you have the time.

Dabo has so far managed well the stockpile of talent

Dec 21, 2017, 1:13 PM

we have throughout our roster, instilling a team first approach with great emphasis on personal, not just athletic, development. The lack of attrition and few transfers from the program illustrate the effectiveness of his and this program's overall approach, and the results are, well, phenomenal.

While Kirby can obviously recruit, and UGA is and always has been an attractive destination, can he adequately manage his stockpile of talent? Can he keep these top recruits happy and focused on a bigger picture, while not seeing the field and waiting their turn as Dabo has shown the ability to do? With the added distractions and team culture that exists in Athens?

If so, then UGA should be a major challenge for the foreseeable future. If not, we'll see them fracture from within.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 11:12 AM

I respect them as a program, but for the most part their fans make SCAR fans look like Rhode Scholars.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Have you been on FGF lately?***

Dec 21, 2017, 11:14 AM

Re: Have you been on FGF lately?***

Dec 21, 2017, 11:16 AM

Yep, and IMO they are still more intelligent than (most) of the house Dawgs over here.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Dec 21, 2017, 11:32 AM

UGA has a better academic history and program than Clemson and has historically beaten Clemson like a drum. I don't understand where the lack of respect comes from around here. Overlook them at your peril. They are gonna be a thorn in Clemson's side for years to come. If Kirby stop the poaching out of that state he's gonna be deadly. Sam Pittman is the best offensive line coach in the nation.

Dec 21, 2017, 11:34 AM

screw you pal - get off our site.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 1:08 PM

Classy

Dec 21, 2017, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: The University of Georgia - just my perspective ]

Have you ever heard the expression, "your reach should never exceed your grasp"? I am a firm believer. This isn't yesteryear and things have changed a lot.

Kirby has the Dogs smoking right now, no doubt about it. If Uga and Clemson were to meet this year, Clemson will be the air that will spark that smoke and burn your little doghouse down.

UGA has been out recruiting Clemson for years...

Dec 21, 2017, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The University of Georgia - just my perspective ]

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-top-50-recruiting-teams-of-the-past-five-years

This year the only difference was they had to navigate the SEC East and beat a depleted Auburn team to look good. Heck, even SCAR looked good against the SEC East this year and they were one of our least competitive games this season.

Dec 21, 2017, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: The University of Georgia - just my perspective ]

There were something like 35 kids in the top 300 from Georgia this season. It is a recruiting base for Georgia, Auburn, Clemson, and Alabama. Georgia will really have to lock the state up to keep those three out. 35 top 300 players is enough for each of those 4 to battle it out for the top players with teams like GT, South Carolina, occasionally Florida, and some other SEC teams cleaning up scraps. I'm curious to see how you expect to "lock down" Georgia like everyone says.

Dec 22, 2017, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: The University of Georgia - just my perspective ]

Sure you do with that 53% football player graduating rate.

Dec 21, 2017, 11:37 AM

UGA obviously has a rich history of football...that speaks for itself.

Kirby is mysteriously recruiting at an extremely high level in his young tenure thus far at UGA. They have brought in or are bringing some of the nations Top talent without a doubt. What bugs me about the program are a few things.

Kirby pulls offers...Remeber Dabo’s Comment about “what is a non commitable offer?” That’s from Smart. He’s yanked a couple of kids’ offer to give them to someone else. But at the end of the day you gotta do what you gotta do.

Off the field issues and how he handles it. Athens is a beautiful town with MANY distractions. How he has handled these last few arrests has been anything short of shameful. 3rd offense players not getting the boot and a player charged with Fraud not getting disciplined. It’s sickening...How parents can tolerate such total lack of discipline or spine from a coach is beyond me.

Smart is doing great things and I think it will translate to the field, but my assessment is he sold his sold to the devil for success and the devil ALWAYS come to collect. See Butch Jones.

And their fan base...fck em...all of them. I say that because I live in Ga and deal with them everyday.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Good take. +1 for that last sentence alone.***

Dec 21, 2017, 11:41 AM

They should be our rivals. I'd vote to ditch USC

Dec 21, 2017, 11:44 AM

for UGA any day of the week. Fans are just as bad, team is a worthy opponent. They're closer. No good reason to keep USCJr. as our rival. Hopefully we meet and beat them for the NC, so we can all be reminded why they should be our rival.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They should be our rivals. I'd vote to ditch USC

Dec 21, 2017, 1:59 PM

Why would you ditch an easy win for a game you might not win?

What is clemson’s record against UGA? That is all that matters anyway. What is Clemson’s recent record vs UGA? Say 40 years back? All time?

Dec 21, 2017, 2:05 PM

Actually not good but this is the new clemson which has beaten Auburn Alabama Lsu Ohio State Okkahoma and even YOU. Three straight CFP appearances and a national championship. How you like those apples mutt

Dec 21, 2017, 6:50 PM

Uh. The last time UGA played Clemson, Gurley and Chubb had a field day and you got stomped.

Dec 21, 2017, 11:32 PM

Yea such a meaningless game with cole stoudt at quarterback who won the natty two years later? Yours was when 1980 the reagan administration lol

Dec 21, 2017, 11:55 PM

Reagan did not take office until after the 1980 football season. Carter administration.
No charge for the history lesson from one of your leg humping brothers.

Dec 22, 2017, 12:38 AM

Yea its been so along ago for UgA cant remember

Dec 21, 2017, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: They should be our rivals. I'd vote to ditch USC ]

Georgia is relevant nationally for the first time in about 10 years and now it's time to come brag about it

Dec 22, 2017, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: They should be our rivals. I'd vote to ditch USC ]

I'm glad all you care about is history. Can you name any time in that history Clemson's recruiting looks the way it does now? Hate to break it to your toilet bowl lapping self, but history is changing... And it should be noticeable. Let's see... Talking recent, not ancient history, I believe Clemson has been able to be 1-1 vs you... And you know as much as anyone else you are lucky that last one didn't have Watson in it for the entire game. There are tons more 4-5 starts playing in Clemson now than ever in history. So enjoy that history... It's all you'll be. Clemson does have the defense to beat you this year. Try making one single RB this season that has over 100 yards vs Clemson's defense (that isn't a triple option team that runs 80% of the time). I'll wait.

Dec 22, 2017, 9:32 AM

*try naming

Dec 22, 2017, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: They should be our rivals. I'd vote to ditch USC ]

I'm glad all you care about is history. Can you name any time in that history Clemson's recruiting looks the way it does now? Hate to break it to your toilet bowl lapping self, but history is changing... And it should be noticeable. Let's see... Talking recent, not ancient history, I believe Clemson has been able to be 1-1 vs you... And you know as much as anyone else you are lucky that last one didn't have Watson in it for the entire game. There are tons more 4-5 starts playing in Clemson now than ever in history. So enjoy that history... It's all you'll be. Clemson does have the defense to beat you this year. Try making one single RB this season that has over 100 yards vs Clemson's defense (that isn't a triple option team that runs 80% of the time). I'll wait.

Dec 22, 2017, 12:35 PM

Show me on the doll where Ray Goff touched you

You seem to be speaking from experience.***

Dec 22, 2017, 1:17 PM

This whole thread and the responses

Dec 22, 2017, 1:54 PM

have been one of the most enjoyable reads I've had here in a long time. Everyone is in top form today!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good thread. One reminder to OP: time to update your screen

Dec 21, 2017, 12:11 PM

name to Regalia.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. Living in the past aren't I?

Dec 21, 2017, 2:18 PM

null

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

Remember the 70’s And 80’s also but why not wait until

Dec 21, 2017, 7:48 PM

they achieve all these honors you have bestowed on them to give them the crown. Heard the same things many times over the last 35 years!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope they never win another game. Still doesn't change

Dec 21, 2017, 7:57 PM

History.

Exactly.

Dec 22, 2017, 12:14 AM

"History". Why talk about it like it's modern day? The very best word you can use for your post, other than "opinion", is "speculation".

UGA hasn't done squat for a very, very long time. Have they had some good years? Sure. Stellar years? No. Their modern record is nowhere near their recruiting rankings.

And the recruiting this year, it didn't come about because of UGA's "history" ...it's mostly stuff these kids know nothing about. You can tell them what, Vince Dooley stories? Gimme a break.

And since we're speculating and all, I personally don't think Smart can coach the talent he's amassed. I think he will be exposed very shortly, likely starting with Oklahoma running circles around them.

Dec 21, 2017, 11:43 PM

If I remember correctly we beat them two years in a row on last second game ending field goals by David Treadwell. 86 and 87 maybe. As mentioned they were season defining games in the 80s. Good times back then on campus!

Dec 21, 2017, 11:52 PM

we will see if Kirby passes the test of time......I do not see Georgia as one of the elite teams in the country yet because one season does not make you one of the best......Go Tigers!!!!

you should have an idea next year. they lose a ton***

Dec 22, 2017, 12:55 AM

sorry folks I just got to say it

Dec 22, 2017, 1:17 AM

I really hate to see yet another poast loving on uga. Like they didn’t get enough love from all the media the last two days, we got to have it as a POTD on Clemson’s site. Front and Center! Bet they get a kick out of that on uga sites.

Like my title, sorry folks, would rather see a POTD about our historical Clemson Recruiting class!

Go Tigers! Roll the elephants.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How does a Dawg loving post get 30+ TU’s?

Dec 22, 2017, 2:54 PM

Especially with as much trolling they’ve done on here the past few months. Disgraceful.

Correct. UGA is well on its way.

Dec 22, 2017, 11:18 AM

They will rule the SEC East for the foreseeable future. And all signs indicate they will be able to handle whoever the SEC West sends to face them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

life around here is MUCH more exciting when UGA & Clemson

Dec 22, 2017, 11:44 AM

have great football programs. The 80's were an awesome experience to live in Upstate SC and North Ga. We know the Chickens will never amount to much; that was a false little "dynasty" they fell blindly into and it'll be 40 years before something like that will happen again. Clemson NEEDS someone local to ramp up the excitement.

I see lots and lots of spanking new UGA license plates and shirts around - I've seen very little presence the last decade or so. Good the Dog bandwagon is back in business. Don't get me wrong - I despise the red&black. But there's a fun bunch to compete with.

And most of them feel the same.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/30/4546604/clemson-georgia-football-rivalry-history-2013

https://grittree.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/lewis-grizzard-wednesday-to-my-son/

Re: life around here is MUCH more exciting when UGA & Clemson

Dec 22, 2017, 4:07 PM

Fact of the matter is that UGA asked to end the yearly series stating that Clemson was a tough non-conference opponent and wasn't helping UGA's record. My freshman year at Clemson was when we beat them in Athens 7-6. First time we beat UGA in Athens since 1903. That was 1977.

Never mind that Clemson had been playing a "tough non-conference opponent" all that time.

I was in Tiger Band and we marched in under the overpass and their fans dropped drink cups on us. Things haven't changed much there other than they bowled in that end of the stadium removing the overpass.

I have heard from some sources that the

Dec 22, 2017, 9:14 PM [ in reply to life around here is MUCH more exciting when UGA & Clemson ]

football Kevin Butler kicked 60 yards to beat us was put into the UGA trophy display, where it is still floating around 33 years later...

Replies: 70
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic