Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The irony of GT refusing to play CU home and home
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

The irony of GT refusing to play CU home and home

Nov 11, 2013, 4:17 PM

is what eventually brought our series to an end with them in Atlanta in 1977. Then just a few years later they joined the ACC. We started playing home and home every since.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, well in 77 they had just a little more power to throw

Nov 11, 2013, 5:20 PM

around.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

This situation has long been a thorny issue with me...

Nov 11, 2013, 5:25 PM

(and my apologies to the internet friends I've made from the GaTech camp for the following rant--none of them were part of the problem--they weren't old enough)

The vast majority of Clemson fans on Tnet aren't old enough to have endured the "slings and arrows" dished out by snotty arrogant weenieheads emanating from campuses in Columbia, chapelhole, charlottesville, and Atlanta (etc.). Their grandparents loved making fun of Clemson because it was a small school in a VERY rural part of the South and as such was portrayed as inferior academically as well. This is a sports site and not the venue to dispell those idiotic notions, but suffice it merely to say the academic jests were just that---funny, but not true.

Because most of the funding for college sports back in the days before television ruled (ruined?) everyone's lives, ALL the funding came from ticket sales. Thus, its undertandable why GaTech insisted all competitions with Clemson be held in Atlanta. But, as time passed, Clemson built a stadium as large (and eventually much larger than)GaTechs site on North Ave in Atlanta. The day had finally come when Clemson, a scant hundred or so miles north could just insist that future games be scheduled on a home and home basis.

And here's where ugly arrogance enters the story. GaTech just flat refused to play Clemson --for decades a regular opponent--anywhere but Atlanta. And Coach Howard, knowing how much money Clemson fans had pumped into the economy of the capitol of the "New South", politely said FU (the reference was not to the Purple Paladins), it doesn't matter WHO we schdedule, we're still gonna sell a bunch of tickets. The "hemming and hawing and harrumphing" from the Yellowjacket crew couldn't hide their true intentions, but a much larger public and media never called it what it was---pure chickendoody arrogance. Add this insult to the theft of a former coach--they named a trophy after him---and Clemson's attitude towards GaTech is not just understandable, its well deserved.....

To avoid further name calling, let us simply note the $2 bill tradition grew out of GaTech's cancellation of the series and, as noted by the OP, the air was thick with irony when GaTech joined the ACC and HAD to play us home and home forever after. Our football record versus GaTech has been MORE than competitive since the playing venue became much more fair. In fact, like those morons in Columbia, I think GaTech should have to play Clemson in Death Valley about 60 consecutive time--or enough until the unfair edge GaTech enjoyed for decades is finally evened up.

BTW---Bill Curry---you can kiss my Clemson derriere.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, great post...GT fans weren't the worst, though...

Nov 11, 2013, 5:55 PM

by far it was Chapel Hole fans...a disgusting crowd of snobs up there

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I second that opinion! Growing up in the heart of NC,

Nov 12, 2013, 11:17 PM

I can tell more stories of tarhole arrogance than I care to remember!

Jackholes!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Re: This situation has long been a thorny issue with me...

Nov 11, 2013, 6:08 PM [ in reply to This situation has long been a thorny issue with me... ]

Curry is by far the most sanctimonious and arrogant pile of carp I've ever seen. I actually enjoyed the junk they gave him at Bama because he is such a self absorbed twit. I was also glad to see Dabo win the Bobby Dodd award because I'm sure it irked Curry to no end. It much the same joy every time I see Schlabach's long face on ESPN.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thumbs up for you. Thanks! ****

Nov 13, 2013, 12:04 AM [ in reply to This situation has long been a thorny issue with me... ]

Nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember those days - that's when they were....

Nov 11, 2013, 5:53 PM

still living in the "Bobby Dodd era" as though they were still a major football power as they had been way back when.

They looked at us like we were a step-child creampuff opponent who was lucky they would play us.

Of course, I also remember when they came to DV in 1974 how we beat them (and Georgia) both at home that year.

We need to remind them this Thursday night just who really is the football power in our series with them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We played GT at Grant Field all four years during my time

Nov 13, 2013, 8:23 AM

at CU ('65-'68 seasons) and lost all four.

It was well-known then (and despised) that they wouldn't travel to Clemson, although we generally had a great time in Atlanta other than the losses.

GT is a great institution, and their fans were generally nice, but when the home vs home imbroglio arose in the '70's, most attitudes were like mine: the h... with them.

To this day that lopsidedness they enjoyed all those years is a thorn, and why our victories are especially relished. (I will add: the GT crowd has more class in their little fingers than those yingyang, snobbish wads at UNC and Duke in their whole bodies.)

These are reasons, my Friends, why I never want Clemson to adopt snobbish, elitist attitudes toward others...a lot of us remember from whence we came.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic