Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CLEMSON AND REALIGNMENT....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

CLEMSON AND REALIGNMENT....

Feb 2, 2013, 6:28 AM

This message is oriented toward the younger TNetters, for I firmly believe other older types like myself would agree:

There is no way on the face of this earth that Clemson University is going to be left out in the cold in any situation that may rise regarding alignment. NO FREAKING WAY! I have been associated with our programs for nearly 50 years, and no one...and I mean, no one will ever convince me that a school with our history of a reasonable level of success, a national title (although 30 years old,) a string of conference championships ( although of the ACC variety,) our facilities, our stadium seating well over 80,000 people, even some of our coaches, Howard, Ford, now Dabo, is going to be ignored, bypassed, whatever the h3ll one wishes to conjure...period.

The Clemson powers-that-be won't allow it to happen...and the fan base d@mn surely won't either!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CLEMSON AND REALIGNMENT....

Feb 2, 2013, 6:37 AM

You are absolutely correct, but the ACC isn't going to falter.

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HB, you've been ALL IN in your posts, and I thank you. Any

Feb 2, 2013, 6:46 AM

organization is only effective as its members contribute. A number of our members have the ability to strengthen their programs, which, I believe, we have to encourage, as we continue to refine and develop. I am a Clemson man, and I want us to succeed...to be a leader, to win our share of conference titles. However, I believe we have to want our fellow ACC members to succeed, for in doing so, our program is further strengthened. The only thing I don't want them to do...is to beat us on the playing grounds. lol

Message was edited by: hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2013, 7:39 AM

You bring up some very intersting points,most favoring realigment,or expansion.
But here is the argument against;tv contracts like that of ESPN/SEC.
The SEC would love to expand,but does not need a Clemson because they have a good portionof South Carolina with the Gamecocks to air on ESPN.
So they look to the state of North Carolina and tab N.C.State.The SEC would not even dare consider Duke,or UNC without the other so the Pack would be the logical pick for the SEC to expand its tv market into North Carolina.Same holds for Virginia.Either UVA, or Va.Tech,but not both.
Clemsom may have a lot of tradition going for it,but it brings nothing into the "tv" picture of the SEC.
Now the Big 12 could consider Clemson,or Florida State,but they seem set,for now at 10 teams.Also,if the Big 12 did recruit Clemson and FSU,the conference would have to reconfigure itself into more of an East/West aligment,which might not sit well with some teams
So it's not necessarily about what Clemson offers in the way of tradition,or championships but rather or not Clemson would be a good tv fit.
And that unfortunately is the way college football is going.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Catering to ESPN for TV is gong to backfire

Feb 2, 2013, 7:53 AM

There's a media distribution paradigm shift under way. Streaming programs via the net will allow a lower barrier to entry for challengers to ESPN in distributing these games. You won't need a network.

Now the production costs will still be there and that is the last piece to sort itself out. Once the model figures out how to make the $ work (is it advertising, pay per view, subscription?), things will shift big time. We are almost there now (see Netflix announcement).

At that point, viewership will by team draw of eyeballs and less about TV contracts.

No more buying premium cable packages just to get to see the games you want to see. TV will all be a la cart.

Re: Catering to ESPN for TV is gong to backfire

Feb 2, 2013, 6:33 PM

I hope you are right about that paradigm shift, but I am not so optimistic. Sports are the only reason I have a sat subscription, but there will be a lot at stake - namely the parasitic channels like Baby, BET, Logo, etc. that could not possibly survive without being part of a programming package. They will lobby their a$$es off to survive, but I hope that market forces win in the end. A la carte would be awesome.

Leftie, I've followed the discussions, and while I don't

Feb 2, 2013, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Re: CLEMSON AND REALIGNMENT.... ]

argue your points, I believe that at this particular moment in time, Clemson has decided to remain in the ACC, and I just don't forsee a mass exodus by other members. Regardless, I don't believe Clemson would be left alone in a Big East-type alignment. We simply have to much to offer other conferences.

The simple fact is that I refuse to adopt a paranoid attitude...this "everyone is against us" type of mentality, and I further believe that other ACC members will adopt a wait-see attitude at least over the next season. And I maintain that while footprints are important, perhaps even key, that footprints with poor products are recipes for eventual disaster.

hartins

Feb 2, 2013, 8:15 AM

You are 100% correct. No one in his right mind would believe Clemson is not a player. The SEC is not an option nor The B1G but any other senerios would have Clemeon at the forefront.

Low...

Feb 2, 2013, 8:28 AM

I learned long ago to be cautious when saying, "never." Regardless of claims otherwise, I refuse to rule out any scenario...be it our remaining a member of the ACC...or our realignment with any conference, including the SEC. Stranger things have happened in collegiate athletics over the years, and thus far, I've seen no official proclamation from any conference that Clemson could not be admitted. Naturally, that would require an invitation, as Leftie points out, but there's, also, such a thing as asking, campaigning blah, blah.

Thus, I prefer to err on the side of caution and allow situations to develop as they may...or may not.

Message was edited by: hartins®

Feb 2, 2013, 8:38 AM

My own take is that when the dust settles the ACC will be just fine...and Clemson with it. As far as I'm concerned a move to the SEC would bring us more money and nothing more. Like the #####, Clemson would struggle to compete with the with the bigger schools that would surround us. Moving to any other conference doesn't excite me at all. my two cents.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely agree, hartins! Clemson is a shiny jewell and

Feb 2, 2013, 8:50 AM

will most definitely be a prime target of any emerging superconference that may replace the ACC. We will always be a factor in whatever landscape emerges.

I ain't skeered.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Is it a jewel that doesn't add a state or new market to the

Feb 2, 2013, 10:10 AM

SEC, is not wanted by the BigTen, and doesn't add a fertile recruiting ground to the Big12 or SEC, but is strong enough to our-recruit the teams already in those leagues.

You might want to add that the SC state legislature won't

Feb 2, 2013, 10:07 AM

allow it to happen. I hope they are all able to rise to the occasion if the Big Ten takes the ACC teams they want, the Big12 doesn't want us and the SEC takes the ACC teams they want. It would suck being left with Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake, Duke, Louisville, Miami, Cincinnati, Connecticut, maybe GT, South Florida, Central Florida.

The state legislature would have to get their butts moving also.

Notice I said if.

81 to85

Feb 2, 2013, 10:28 AM

What do you think ths legislature could do? They have nothing to do with what conferences do. This is not Virginia and they are not going to try to tell South Carolina to get out of the SEC because they won't invite Clemson. That is nothing that will ever, ever, ever, ever happen.

Low...

Feb 2, 2013, 5:55 PM

You may be correct...then again, you may not. While I would find it highly improbable that the General Assembly would require such, they have certainly been bold enough to require quite a good bit in my day. I don't think I'm prepared to stake my life, liberty and fortune (however, small or great that might be) on anything the General Assembly may or may not do. Frankly, however, I don't believe for a moment that the situation would arise that might precipitate actions by the G.A., simply because I believe Clemson is powerful enough to initiate its own actions.

Re: Low...

Feb 2, 2013, 6:47 PM

hartins there would be too much backlash to try to do something like that. That would hurt South Carolina and would not help Clemson. The SEC is not going to bow to the powers that be in the South Carolina legislator. That would be a no win and the nation would do a head jerk on that one. The state of South Carolina trying to shape the athletic landscape...wow. In Virginia it was a concerted effort to get VT in but the landscape is shaped different now. It's a media rules world and the SEC would be fine without South Carolina or Clemson so there is no bargining tool there. Why try to do something that will be detrimental in the long run for everyone involved. I stand by my "It will never happen" statement but I respect you enough to say you could be right.

Feb 2, 2013, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Low... ]

hartins there would be too much backlash to try to do something like that. That would hurt South Carolina and would not help Clemson. The SEC is not going to bow to the powers that be in the South Carolina legislator. That would be a no win and the nation would do a head jerk on that one. The state of South Carolina trying to shape the athletic landscape...wow. In Virginia it was a concerted effort to get VT in but the landscape is shaped different now. It's a media rules world and the SEC would be fine without South Carolina or Clemson so there is no bargining tool there. Why try to do something that will be detrimental in the long run for everyone involved. I stand by my "It will never happen" statement but I respect you enough to say you could be right.

Feb 3, 2013, 4:43 PM

Just win baby .... and things will take care of themselves.

Agree absolutely. We are in charge of our own destiny.

Feb 3, 2013, 4:59 PM

Clemson represents the ultimate college sports experience at the highest levels in all sports, in an unparalleled environment, and with a massive and passionate fan base, well heeled as well due to the fine graduates we put out every year. People know the paw world wide. We'll be fine.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2013, 5:06 PM

I too agree that we will be ok when all this shakes out. Like the vast majority of us I have no inside sources and only know what it bantered around on the internet. It appears that the ACC may be a slightly behind the money curve compared to other conferences, though the difference may be a lot less than first thought. Our football will still be competitive in facilities, salaries, etc because it is what we think is important. The big danger I see for football is the conference perception battle we face in recruiting. That will fix itself when our conference powers begin to ascend to their more recent national positions - Clem, Miami, FSU, VT, GT - by winning more high profile games (nat champ, bcs, rivalry games).

I fear the money gap will manifest itself not in football but in olympic sports. Football get its needs met but our other sports will catch heck to keep up with the "Jones".

Feb 3, 2013, 5:12 PM

Oh, I thought you were going to talk about realignment within out division. I think we're ok as far as the ACC goes, but we do really need to do something about the revenue gap. It'll eat up programs like basketball and baseball. Adding Pitt and 'Cuse doesn't exactly help baseball. 'Cuse doesn't have a team and I really hope they don't add a junk program.

My take on realigning the divisions:

http://ryankantor.com/2012/11/28/how-the-acc-could-realign-divisions-to-preserve-tradition/

Feb 3, 2013, 7:11 PM

Completely agree. No conference is going to pass up Clemson. Just won't happen

How often do you talk to Barker?***

Feb 3, 2013, 7:53 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

william wallace esque....bravo!***

Feb 3, 2013, 8:25 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are 100% correct. About 50 years of attendance has

Feb 3, 2013, 8:29 PM

taught me the same thing!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic