Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My oh my, even after 2 division titles and an ACC crown...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 3,344

My oh my, even after 2 division titles and an ACC crown...

Apr 25, 2012, 9:52 AM

there are still folks bad-mouthing Dabo every chance they get. Were we a very good team last year? You bet. A great team? Not quite. But even without reaching greatness, we went 10-4 and crushed the team that has owned our conference since entering it. Yeah, losing to the chickens a third times stings, but for some to be whining so much after we accomplished things this past season that haven't been done in two decades is pitiful.

I know I'm being a broken record here and others have already said the same thing I'm saying, but it's just infuriating.

Dabo has earned my trust in him, especially considering that he made a major coaching change after a championship season. He knows Tiger fans aren't satisfied yet, and neither is he.

GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

Re: My oh my, even after 2 division titles and an ACC crown...

Apr 25, 2012, 10:01 AM

Well said...I was one of those who at least had enough sense to see we were going the right direction after the first VT game.....I've found that some of these idiots will complain until we win a NC and then complain later that night that we have no where to go but down and should fire Dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quick clarification: It's not folks ....

Apr 25, 2012, 10:09 AM

...the people who truly have questions, yet have Clemson's best interests at heart, are not the bad-mouthing minions.

The meager, both in number and mentality, who continually do so are trolls, keeping up their muffled drumbeat below the bridge trying to entice the unwary into their self-perpetuating mud wrestling match.

In time, you'll find a certain monotony in both the names and arguments of the anti-Dabo faction. They have certain buttons to punch certain bells to chime that are guaranteed to elicit a Pavlovian response from well-meaning sons of Clemson.

They are not followers of Clemson. They are not even Capons. They are the self-important, the self-appointed, changing handles like the rest of us change underwear, seeking those who they may devour while ultimately adding nothing but dung to the discussion.

They are not interested in being proven wrong, nor are they interested in swaying others to their view. They have no view, other than nihilism.

You may engage them and be pulled down, or simply TD them into oblivion without comment.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well-stated, Rev. As usual.

Apr 25, 2012, 10:13 AM

I too have often voiced my concerns about the team, and that's certainly okay. Because I'm proud to be a Tiger, and I want to win as much as possible. My post was directed at those who, as you say, offer nothing more than unquenchable negativity.

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

I'm always willing to debate, even argue....

Apr 25, 2012, 10:24 AM

...with folks that I don't agree with. Heck, how else do we learn?

that said, you're absolutely correct. And I like that term "unquenchable negativity."

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rev... you always have a way with words...

Apr 25, 2012, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Quick clarification: It's not folks .... ]

I think you could inspire a Jihad against Dabo bashers with the main assult being TDs.

Agreed, alot of posts on here have more to do with the

Apr 25, 2012, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Quick clarification: It's not folks .... ]

personality of the poster than Clemson sports. If more people would realize that then maybe a reasonable debate would break out every once in a while... instead of the usual hurling of bumber-sticker slogans back and forth in anger.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2012, 10:17 AM

Ridiculous. Probably the same people defending Leggett.
Idiots.

Apr 25, 2012, 10:21 AM

how do you get that?

He's one of the nihilists. He'll throw a weasel in your tub and

Apr 25, 2012, 1:34 PM

next time cut off your johnson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

This post and this board are measures of fandom

Apr 25, 2012, 10:47 AM

We think we are better than we are when we win, we think we are worse than we are when we lose. Those that automatically "trust Dabo" are putting too much faith in the wins and those that automatically "distrust Dabo" are putting too much negativity on the losses.

I'm glad we had the number of wins that we had last year and I'm glad we have the shiney ACC trophy. It beats the alternative. That being said, I don't think we made any tremendous strides from the 6-7 season of 2 years ago. Sammy and Tajh covered up a ton of offensive issues that are still there. We still have the fundamental issue of being a soft football team on both sides of the ball. But it took Tommy almsot 10 years to get us to that point. I can't expect the new coaches to reverse that in a single offseason.

Dabo did some really good things. Dabo did some really dumb things. One thing I've figured out, I'll be supporting Clemson long after Dabo is gone. Just like I've been supporting Clemson long after Ford, West, Bowden, Wilhelm (RIP), Foster, Ellis, Barnes, Shyatt, Purnell, etc etc etc are all left.

Re: This post and this board are measures of fandom

Apr 25, 2012, 11:14 AM

I'm not sure why you are heaping the softness issue entirely onto Bowden - it's not like the championships were rolling in during the 90's. Tommy actually rebuilt the program from where it was when he took over.

Ask any SC fan if they would rather have Dabo coaching or Bowden coaching and I bet you will get a 90% or more response in favor of Dabo.

Bowden's philosophy was bout small/fast/agile linemen

Apr 25, 2012, 11:45 AM

That seemed to trickle through the entire team.

He wanted to model CLemson after FSU with fast players all over the field. The one thing he forgot is that FSU had interior linemen that would run over their grandmamma. Bowden brought in much more talent than West, but it was Bowden who had the major philosophical change in Clemson football.

you're shocked people are complaining after three loss to SC

Apr 25, 2012, 10:57 AM

It is one of the most heated rivalries. We had not lost to them two times in a row in over thirty years. We have now lost to them three times in a row. That does not and never will sit well with Clemson fans. And to be quite honest it shouldn't.

I HATE losing to usuck once much less three times and the

Apr 25, 2012, 11:03 AM

Orange Bowl still turns my stomach but Rome was not built in a day! Society today wants to have their needs met immediately and that is not done in football, you have to build a team like a house; you start with a good foundation and put quality products on and in it. I believe that Dabo/Clemson is doing that with recruiting and hiring quality coaches!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DABO!!

I refuse to allow a win over or a defeat to those sorry

Apr 25, 2012, 1:21 PM [ in reply to you're shocked people are complaining after three loss to SC ]

peckers define our program.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Dabo Said

Apr 26, 2012, 12:21 AM [ in reply to you're shocked people are complaining after three loss to SC ]

at the Lexington Prowl and Growl that he doesn't like losing to them. He said due to his many years at Alabama as a player and coach that he understands what rivalries are. He said, "I get it." He hates losing to the dirt peckers as much as the fans do.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who are you referring to? The village idiot maybe!***

Apr 25, 2012, 10:58 AM

Haters will hate, and dumpers will dump;

Apr 25, 2012, 1:27 PM

But winners will win.

I'm not anti-Dabo, but losing to the coots 3 times does a

Apr 25, 2012, 1:34 PM

lot to reduce the happiness of our successes. And if we didn't play in such a weak conference and if we didn't play like cowards in a BCS bowl game and prove we didn't belong there then I think you would see more happiness about being 10-4. If someone had told me I would feel bad after a 10 win season, I would have never believed them. But what happened during that 10-4 campaign still makes us look like a joke to everyone else.

Even if we just lost 2 in a row to the coots and lost 40-33 against WVU in the Orange Bowl I think you would see a different general attitude. But Dabo is setting embarassing records right along with his improvements. Again, I don't want the guy fired, but I think some people give him a little too much credit at this point.

OB is on Steele

Apr 25, 2012, 4:02 PM

Nothing Dabo can do in that regard. He isn't an Xs and Os coach. He does the recruiting and the motivating and allows his coordinators to coach their position free of interference. The OB was a complete and utter break down by the D i a fashion I've never seen before in my life. Thus Dabo made the move to remove Steele. No second chance, no more "we'll get it fixed". he fixed it and showe dhim the door, despite what is being said. He then brings in Venables, a man very familair against spread attacks and against great offenses and how stresses fundamentals, something that's been weak for a long time.

yes Dabo has many shortcomings but I still think that he is going more good then bad at Clemson and is positioning the pieces for us to be successful.

By and large, Dabo has been a huge success...

Apr 25, 2012, 4:11 PM

I know for some people it's been hard to see past this little streak we have going against the coots... But let's look at the big picture: In just 3 full seasons, Dabo has won the Atlantic twice (Tommy: 0) and has brought the ACC Title back to Clemson for the first time in 20 years (Tommy: 0). The guy has gotten us to the title game twice in a third of the amount of time Tommy did.

On top of this, he's lights-out on the recruiting trail and he aggressively seeks out the best assistants in college football to come to Clemson. He's also likeable, young, energetic, and seems to really have a love for Clemson.

I think Dabo is a legend in the making.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there is "nothing a head coach can do" about us getting

Apr 25, 2012, 7:44 PM [ in reply to OB is on Steele ]

blown out, then why do we have a head coach? If it's all about the coordinators, then it seems like we are paying the wrong guy the most money.

Dabo is like TB, nothing is his fault until after he is gone

Apr 26, 2012, 12:41 AM

then everything will be his fault and he'll be thrown under the bus.

Most of that is on Steele, who couldn't stop SCAR and WVU

Apr 25, 2012, 4:05 PM [ in reply to I'm not anti-Dabo, but losing to the coots 3 times does a ]

and just about any other team with a mobile QB.

If that's true, then head coaches should make less.

Apr 25, 2012, 7:45 PM

All we need would be a coordinators coordinator and pay them 300K a year.

Message was edited by: Completely Solid Orange®

Apr 25, 2012, 2:52 PM

The way I see it, if you have some questions or doubts about some issues... the OL, the defense, was veneables the right guy or what not... that is perfectly acceptable. Everyone may not agree on it, but its not bad or disloyal convo for the offseason.
If you say Dabo was a bad hire, I think that is too far.
He deserves the job after the success we have had despite the failures. Losing 3 in a row and 70-33 is bad.. no way around it, but did we get better in 2011 than we were in 2010? yes. We're we better in 2011 than we were in 2000-2010? yes. So we are moving forward and if we keep that up, I am content to watch it unfold.

Apr 25, 2012, 3:05 PM

Yes that has been something weve not done but its something we should do...While I dont bash dabo because I feel he will eventually fix his flaws...I can see where some of them come from though....every year we lose to teams we have no buisness losing to, we have lost 3 straight to the coots, he refuses to fix the strength program and his attacking of the fan base who want nothing but the best for clemson is uncalled for... he cant handle the criticism and gets way to defensive....Now I want the man to succeed mainly cause I dont want us to have to go through another coaching change and set us back another year. The man does have a natural winner qaulity to him and i believe he can be a good HC,,,,but hes got a ways to go

And that is the perfect way to express things

Apr 25, 2012, 4:05 PM

he has good and bad points, like all humans, but he's still learning and showing that he does truly change the things he believe are the real problem.

I think S&C should go in a different direction but to be truthful, it's not the entire reason that we lose at the LOS. We need to recruit more hogs with attitude. You can't teach attitude you either have it or you don't

Re: And that is the perfect way to express things

Apr 25, 2012, 4:40 PM

well reason i said that about s&c is because when u change regimes in coaching you should clean house as much as possible to put your own stamp on the program....I agree...s&c didnt hurt us in 2010 when we stuffed teams up front on defense especially "the heisman" in marcus lattimore....It also wasnt an issue for phillip price,mason cloy,and brandon thomas. Dabo can be a winner...he was smart enough to know that at this level the coordinators are major pieces of the puzzle and really more important to a teams success than the HC.He has got a really good staff arround him. If he focuses on his strengths and lets the coaches do their things then we have the makings of a something great here

Sometime I think he needs a PR manager

Apr 25, 2012, 4:56 PM

I love his rants after victorys and the things he said about SC will forever live on in infamy. I laughed so hard and for so long after watching that clip that I thought I'd die from lack of oxygen.

However, he does need to know when to give the "diplomatic" answer such as when he was trying to answer questions on Steele's firing as well as defending Baston.

Re: Sometime I think he needs a PR manager

Apr 25, 2012, 5:04 PM

I love his passion but sometimes I wish hed act a little more like weve been there before type attitude..

Apr 25, 2012, 5:00 PM

Agree, you know some would not be happy working in a Ice Cream Factory tasting Ice Cream

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1-3 vs USuC.***

Apr 26, 2012, 8:26 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 33
| visibility 3,344
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic