Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The notion that CU is too small of a school to compete is BS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

The notion that CU is too small of a school to compete is BS

Apr 9, 2012, 2:47 PM

Some facts:

Of the 24 other teams in the final AP poll for 2011-12:

- FOUR have enrollments smaller than Clemson: (#7, #13, #14, and #20)

- THREE have enrollments no less than 2000 more students than Clemson: (#3, #4, and #8)

That's SEVEN of the top 25 schools of similar size or smaller than Clemson.

Of the ten largest universities in the US, nine play in BCS conferences and only ONE finished ranked in the AP Top 25 (#11).

When you play good football, no one cares how many students you have. There are plenty of giant schools out there who wished they had a season as good as Clemson last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

I agree. Clemson just needs to secure its future in terms of

Apr 9, 2012, 3:19 PM

money and exposure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The notion that CU is too small of a school to compete is BS

Apr 9, 2012, 3:36 PM

yep you only need 85 good football players. that is irrelevant of enrollment of the institution. kind of like in a golf scramble you only need to play well 1/4 of the time as long as the rest of your team does likewise at the right time

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2012, 3:43 PM

Agreed, Stanford has like 7,000 undergraduates yet they seem to be competitors in 1 billion sports.

UNC-Chapel Hill has 17,000 undergraduates (we have about 16,000) yet they pretty much dominate the ACC or are in the top echelon of the ACC in almost every sport

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of the other 24 teams....

Apr 9, 2012, 3:47 PM

which ones do not have at least a law school, a medical school, or a vetenary school.

I've heard it mentioned before that we lack big donors because of this fact.....and as we know money makes a difference (not totally but it does have an impact).

well duh...we have a nat'l championship in our portfolio

Apr 9, 2012, 3:48 PM

and we have won a bunch of conference championships.
We are in the top 30 of wins all time. Of course we can compete.

I do think it's easier for the mega sized state unis like Ohio State, texas, and Florida but even these schools have their down periods....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Baylor

Apr 9, 2012, 4:46 PM

Is like the same size as Wake Forrest. Absolutely tiny school.

Re: Baylor

Apr 10, 2012, 11:32 AM

Hence the NCAA sanctions - hard to compete in all major sports without cheating at a school like that.

who said that?***

Apr 9, 2012, 7:35 PM

Lack of law, medical and veterinarian hurt a school's

Apr 9, 2012, 9:30 PM

Ability to get ranked highly academically but I don't think they have as much impact on athletic donations because people tend to donate to their undergraduate school. Despite being 1/2 the size of SoCar I believe Clemson places as many or more students in medical and dental school.
Why? Because our students are brighter and learn more

Re: Lack of law, medical and veterinarian hurt a school's

Apr 9, 2012, 11:54 PM

?On average, 41 percent of Clemson students who apply to dental school are accepted.
?On average, 44 percent of Clemson students who apply to medical school are accepted.
http://www.clemson.edu/majors/preprofessional-health-studies

Still trying to find the numbers on USC

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other made up arguments..

Apr 9, 2012, 11:09 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

All CU coaches from here on out, will ask Tnet for advice on

Apr 10, 2012, 1:29 PM

how to run their programs.....sans coot lurkers. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2012, 1:20 AM

Horry-Georgetown Technical college in Conway has more students than Wake Forest and probably a few other D1 schools. If Clemson were too small to compete who was wearing our uniforms in 81?

Enrollment is not the big issue, money is.***

Apr 10, 2012, 9:35 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Money problems at uscjr ?

Apr 10, 2012, 12:34 PM

How on earth will you be able to afford the next probation ?

nice stats. I'd be curious how your #'s pan out say over a

Apr 10, 2012, 12:52 PM

10 year period of time and if similar statistics apply. I don't think you learn much from a one year snap shot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2012, 2:17 PM

Lets look at the four that have enrollments smaller than Clemson.
-#7 Stanford: Great academic school. Recruiting better and has been playing good the last 2 or 3 years. Could they stay a top 25 team and contend in the PAC 12? Maybe
-#13 Baylor: Had its best season this past year with RGIII but don't seem them carrying that over this year or the next.
-#14 TCU: Made some noise the past few seasons. Now they are in a legit conference but don't see them beating OU and Texas on a consistant bases.
-#20 Southern Miss: Don't see them as a BCS threat.

Now lets look at the three schools that have no less than 2000 more students.
-#3 Oklahoma State: Weeden and Blackmon was the best QB/WR combo in the country last year and now they are gone. Won the Big 12 title but it will take a very long time for them to win another. They go back to being Oklahoma's little brother starting this year.
#4 Oregon: They have been the leader in the PAC 12 the last couple of seasons. Will have to fight off Southern Cal to stay on top.
#8 Boise State: Left a weak conference for another weak conference. Like TCU, they have made some noise in the last few years. Now the only thing they have to do is win the Big East and get that automatic BCS bid.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of those schools

Apr 10, 2012, 2:57 PM

Or even just about all of those schools our size or smaller are either flash in the pans (ok st, baylor) or schools feeding on weak competition (tcu, boise). Not to mention a school like stanford that has enough money to do whatever it wants.

That said I think our problem isnt necessarily the size of the school, but rather the geography. We are a small school in a small area of a small state. We also dont benifit from being the state school like Texas, Florida, Alabama, etc. are. We have less fans and less exposure than most of the perennial top 25 teams.

Thats not to say we cant be successful, but its a bit naive to say we have no disadvantage.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic