Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We got what we wished for.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 81
| visibility 1

We got what we wished for.

Dec 26, 2011, 11:49 PM

Everyone wanted to fire OP even though he built a program, and you got what you wished for after he quit. The AD should have done everything in their power to keep him but they didn't, now we are suffering the consequences. If this guy brownell could coach we wouldn't be losing to teams like coastal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We got what we wished for.

Dec 26, 2011, 11:52 PM

thanks for your opinion COOT.

Dec 27, 2011, 12:47 PM

Actually I wished you would go away!

Good lord.***

Dec 26, 2011, 11:55 PM

Not me. I wish I had never read this post.

Dec 27, 2011, 12:00 AM

Make some hot fries and leave the posting to Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not me. I wish I had never read this post.

Dec 27, 2011, 12:01 AM

I'm just as much a tiger as your are, obviously just a more realistic one than you.

Dec 27, 2011, 12:17 AM

Wow, you give up quicker than the French.

Have some faith. Brownell is a great coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honest question..what leads you to believe he is a great

Dec 27, 2011, 11:29 AM

coach? Coaches are judged based on the results on the court/field. Our results suck. Milton and Devin are just as bad now, two years under Brad, as they were under OP. Brad could not adjust to UTEP's garbage defense scheme, the triangle and two. A "great coach" would've been able to scheme to counter it. Brad's motion offense works best when there's good shooters on a team. Clemson has only one above average shooter (AY). Yet he keeps trying to force the square peg into the round hole. A "great coach" would adjust his scheme to accentuate the talents of the players he has.

I want brad to be successful here, because I want to see clemson win. But, I've seen no evidence that he's a "great coach".

Gotta give him time to get his players into the system***

Dec 27, 2011, 11:52 AM

Re: Honest question..what leads you to believe he is a great

Dec 27, 2011, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Honest question..what leads you to believe he is a great ]

Based on my observation of him last year. I haven't been able to see much of our games this year as I live 500 miles from Clemson and there haven't been many televised.

I saw player development last year that exceeded what I saw under OP. He won an NCAA Tournament game his first year. He has his teams play real tough defense. I realize this is going to be a down year, but I'm patient with this coach based on what I've seen. Rome wasn't built in day. Give the man time to show what he can do.

Dec 27, 2011, 1:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Not me. I wish I had never read this post. ]

No you are just an idiot!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who wanted to fire OP?***

Dec 27, 2011, 12:02 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: who wanted to fire OP?***

Dec 27, 2011, 12:04 AM

We greatly appreciated him building a program, but he had taken us as far as we could go and couldn't get us over the hump, remember?

AD was MIA, but that's over. Brownell will get it done bro.***

Dec 27, 2011, 12:11 AM

so you're saying "everyone" said that?***

Dec 27, 2011, 12:40 AM [ in reply to Re: who wanted to fire OP?*** ]

SIA

Dec 27, 2011, 12:16 AM

Stupid In Action

Snoozing in Apathy works too. :)***

Dec 27, 2011, 12:26 AM

Jdope83...lay off the booz. Too much will kill you. Our

Dec 27, 2011, 12:27 AM

coach will be fine if goofs like you will leave him alone.

Re:He is too young to drink.***

Dec 27, 2011, 2:14 PM

Re: Jdope83...lay off the booz. Too much will kill you. Our

Dec 28, 2011, 2:48 AM [ in reply to Jdope83...lay off the booz. Too much will kill you. Our ]

Brownell is a will be one hell of a coach once he gets his recruits in, you have to think he runs the total opposite of what OP ran. The freshmen that we have show promise, and if you looked at us this time last year you would have thought there was no way in hell we would have finished 4th in the acc and he made it possible. I got faith in him and know he can bring us to the level OP made us and more.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Had me . . . then you lost me.***

Dec 27, 2011, 12:47 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please grow a brain.***

Dec 27, 2011, 6:32 AM

this***

Dec 27, 2011, 2:22 PM

Are you generally this ignorant....

Dec 27, 2011, 8:10 AM

or are you just making a special effort today?

Wow...just wow !!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Hey dip****, get things right before you comment

Dec 27, 2011, 8:10 AM

Purnell left on his own and kind of under the cloak of darkness. The fact is, he had taken us as far as he could have. We played gimic basketball and while the style of basketball we played under Purnell won a few games at home, pressing basketball teams are not very good on the road or at neutral sites. Our current coach is a more conventional basketball coach. The fact is Purnell left the cupboard very bare as far as talent. We have one guy that can score, but he is 5'2. Brownell knows this year will be a rebuilding year and watch as he will play a lot of freshmen, because this class is more talented than any upper classmen we have on the team. If we can keep him, we will be very good in 2-3 years.

Dec 27, 2011, 8:12 AM

Brownell is a good coach. But talent wise, he's got what he's got. The most important quality a college coach can have is being a good recruiter. Most all the coaches at the college level are good coaches. But the Jimmy's and the Joe's have always trumped the x's and the o's.

Dumb @ss. This is why OP left.***

Dec 27, 2011, 8:13 AM

two million a year......

Dec 27, 2011, 9:10 AM

ia why OP left. He also saw this coming with the poor recruiting after Shaka left. We were never going to pay a basketball coach that kind of money.

Brownell will get the job done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First of all,

Dec 27, 2011, 9:34 AM

I don't remember anyone calling for OP's head. Second of all, it was a complete surprise when he left and it was done very Baltimore Colts-style; if i remember correctly he called TDP at something like 2 or 3 in the morning to say he was quitting effective immediately.

Lastly, I think in hindsight most of Clemson nation is glad he's gone; recruiting was suffering and it was obvious his style of basketball could keep us competitive only in the regular season.

Brownell was......

Dec 27, 2011, 9:47 AM

really left in a bind with basically one recruiting class MIA, which is tough in basketball - no depth. Let's face it - he will not be able to recruit the type of players that come in and make us an instant top ten team, i.e the Tarholes, Puke, Kentucky, etc. He has to find players he can develop and are willing to work at his style of basketball. He is not panicking and he knew what this basketball team is and what they are capable of. I think all we can ask is that they continue to get better and we are able to find freshmen that will stay 4 years and develop as players like Edward Scott, Stitt, etc.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First of all,

Dec 27, 2011, 9:50 AM [ in reply to First of all, ]

He put Clemson bball on the map. The people that were glad he left are delusional. You know it all's keep saying he took as far as he could because of his style of play don't know what you're talking about. Basketball is a fast paced game no matter what style you play. It takes time to build a consistent program and OP was doing just that. Something had to be going on behind closed doors the way he bolted. People that make statements like he took as far as he could are the reason our fan base is called delusional so much.

Dec 27, 2011, 10:13 AM

You are a moron, and know nothing about basketball apparently. The reason OP left is because he had nothing in the cubbard. He didn't recruit worth a flip and that's why Brownell is struggling. Anytime you play 5 freshmen you are going to struggle. Guess what we will struggle next year because we are adding 4 or 5 more freshmen. Brownell is a great coach it's obvious. He has no offensive people thanks to OP. Don't get me wrong I really liked OP and you are right he did some nice things for us, but he is also the reason we are in the situation we are in. He only knew one way to play and when the press wasn't working he stayed in it and died with it. Brownell is a great coach and in 2 or 3 years Clemson will have a really good team, once the freshmen grow up.

Dec 27, 2011, 10:27 AM

What points to the fact that brownell is a good coach? Surely not losing to the teams we have lost to already.

Purnell put Clemson hoops "on the map"??

Dec 27, 2011, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Re: First of all, ]

Really? Do you even know what that expression means? Your posts are getting further and further away from reality.

Re: Purnell put Clemson hoops "on the map"??

Dec 27, 2011, 3:19 PM

What don't you understand about that? He built a program and our best years were under him. Now we're back to square one.

Our best years were not under Purnell.

Dec 27, 2011, 5:44 PM

The fact that you think otherwise invalidates your opinions as the ravings of an internet loon.

Thanks for adding to my ignore file. Feel free to believe what you want but this post tells me how skewed our view of reality is, and that just isn't worth my time.

Re: Our best years were not under Purnell.

Dec 27, 2011, 6:01 PM

We had some runs under Cliff Ellis and Barnes but nobody remembers those years but clemson fans. We were good every year after OP got his system established. That's my opinion, if you don't like it don't respond. I don't give a d#mn if you ignore me, I don't know who you think you are.

Dec 27, 2011, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: First of all, ]

Look, I loved OP when he was here and it felt very much like a betrayal when he left. But looking back at what he left us with and the shortcomings in our program right now, I think it's probably a good thing he didn't stay around longer. He probably knew that too, which is why he left without so much as a see-ya. The magic that he generated in Clemson was about to come to a very rude end, and he didn't want to be around to get blamed for that in person.

Go read grover173...Purnell left w/out even talking w/the

Dec 27, 2011, 11:44 PM [ in reply to First of all, ]

team....what's the saying "like a thief in the night."

Re: We got what we wished for.- No one was wanting OP gone

Dec 27, 2011, 9:53 AM

this is just so far from the truth. If he wanted to still be at Clemson he would be. Regardless of that BB is an upgrade in coaching and system. we'll be fine the fact this year will be an offensive struggle. no one can give us what we lost w Stitt and Grant but the freshmen are coming around.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"No one was wanting OP gone"

Dec 27, 2011, 10:06 AM

BS. There were a LOT of morons saying he had took is as far as he could and this board blew up with posts saying they were glad he left when news broke that he was leaving. The fact is it takes winning consistently before you can get the players in that can take us to the next level. OP was just beginning to build a program when we pushed him out the door. I'm starting to think the coots are right. Our fanbase is delusional.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son***

Dec 27, 2011, 10:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son***

Dec 27, 2011, 10:25 AM

If you have something logical to respond to me fine, other wise don't waste my time or anybody else's.

You should seriously consider following your own advise

Dec 27, 2011, 10:28 AM

If you have something logical to post fine. Otherwise, don't waste everybody's time.

Re: You should seriously consider following your own advise

Dec 27, 2011, 10:48 AM

Anything that refutes the fact that OP was the best thing that ever happened to Clemson bball and we should have done everything in our power to keep him is not logical.

Based on the responses to your original post....

Dec 27, 2011, 11:43 AM

very few if any of the other posters on this board share your thoughts.

Not so. God looks out for drunks and idiots!

Dec 27, 2011, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son*** ]

;)

Re: WTH ???

Dec 27, 2011, 10:18 AM

Honestly, you're not very bright.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Impressive. EVERYTHING about your post is wrong.

Dec 27, 2011, 10:25 AM

And that is NOT easy to do.

Almost no one was "calling for Purnell's head". Some where questioning if we'd hit the ceiling of where he could take us. That's a very real and valid point when you look at his history. But almost no one called for him to be fired. Almost everyone liked him.

Oliver Purnell left Clemson in about as appropriate a fashion as breaking up with your significant other via text. It came out of nowhere. His raise was huge. If TDP had agreed to that pay, for a guy that has never won a single NCAA Tourney game, the fans would have gone nuts. And rightly so. Our needs in 2010 were substantially different than DePaul's. They needed to rebuild. We needed to hit the next level. Purnell has never in his entire career shown an ability to do what we needed, but he MADE his career doing what DePaul needed.

Finally, I've seen enough of Brownell's coaching to say that he can "coach". Sometimes even the best coaches just can't get to a kid. We'll see what happens over the next few years as his players are in place. Your declaration that he is a failure is laughably premature.

null

Re: Impressive. EVERYTHING about your post is wrong.

Dec 27, 2011, 10:29 AM

Just going by what I've already seen from him. We look like the bad news bears.

We look like that because Purnell couldn't recruit his last

Dec 27, 2011, 10:39 AM

3 years here.

Re: We look like that because Purnell couldn't recruit his last

Dec 27, 2011, 10:48 AM

Preach on brother!!

Re: We look like that because Purnell couldn't recruit his last

Dec 27, 2011, 10:51 AM [ in reply to We look like that because Purnell couldn't recruit his last ]

One person posts that that's the reason we are bad and now everybody says it. A good bball coach can take 5 scrub white boys and put a decent team on the court.

That's an oversimplification. ******

Dec 27, 2011, 11:00 AM

null

You lost EVERYBODY with that post.***

Dec 27, 2011, 11:31 PM [ in reply to Re: We look like that because Purnell couldn't recruit his last ]

It's been bad this season. Who knows. Like I said, I know

Dec 27, 2011, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Impressive. EVERYTHING about your post is wrong. ]

this guy can coach. I've seen it. Something is off with this team, but I don't think it's Brownell's X's & O's coaching.

The next couple of years could be rough, with the team out of synch this year and then losing Young and Smith next year. Hopefully these Freshman develop quickly.

null

Re: It's been bad this season. Who knows. Like I said, I know

Dec 27, 2011, 10:49 AM

I agree totally with your assessment. We just need to be patient. I think we've seem some flashes from the freshmen, and hopefully they can build off of that.

Dec 27, 2011, 10:31 AM

This is the coaching change gap. Almost always happens. See football team 2009-2011.
2009: 9-5 - played well with former coaches players:
2010: 6-7 - graduated former coaches players, new players too young
2011: 10-3 - New blood in lineup, ACC Champs

Brownell did a great job last year... he gets an off year from me to get his players in the system. He has no big playmakers... no Trevors, no Stitt's. He needs his version of Sammy Watkins to give the team a spark. You can say what you want to but without a dynamic player, it is really hard to win.

Dec 27, 2011, 10:38 AM

And you were one that did not want Dabo either!

Dec 27, 2011, 10:57 AM

Honestly why would anybody have wanted Dabo. I will support the guy because he coaches my team and I hope he turns into a great coach but he never should have been hired. Nobody can dispute that.

Dec 27, 2011, 11:41 AM

"Honestly why would anybody have wanted Dabo...never should have been hired...Nobody can dispute that"? The facts easily dispute your opinion! Two out of three years in the conference championship game with one win, top ten recruiting classes, heightened rivalry with USC through media statements, etc. OP was great for Clemson BB and I miss his style of play but your opinions are totally invalidated based on your stupid statement concerning Dabo's hire.

Dec 27, 2011, 12:00 PM

Hopj no like Brownell, missing Op, me listen to you. aghghgh
aghgh
ahgh

Didn't OP lose to Elon?***

Dec 27, 2011, 12:39 PM

GO TIGERS

Yes... But BB deserves some of the blame for that...***

Dec 27, 2011, 4:27 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparenly you're not very bright!***

Dec 27, 2011, 2:19 PM

Dec 27, 2011, 4:15 PM

Wow...worst post in a long time. That just goes to show how little you know about basketball.

Our problem is not the system. Our defense is solid and our offensive issues come from the lack of outside shooting and not being able to extend the opposing defense. It doesn't help that we don't have a stitt-like player to create off the dribble.

Anyone who knows the game would easily pick up on this. Obviously you don't.

I think you're the one that doesn't know much about bball,

Dec 27, 2011, 5:15 PM

I don't know where you get we have no outside shooting, Andre young is 34% from three and Tanner Smith is 38%. Milton Jennings and Devin Booker make me wanna scream every time they get it in the low post. They never make a move and go up strong. They put it on the floor and turn it over or dish it right back outside every time. Both are good athletes so where else can you point the finger but to Brownell?

I think YOU are the one that doesn't know much about BBall..***

Dec 28, 2011, 1:38 AM

What kind of Program did OP really build if this is what is

Dec 27, 2011, 4:24 PM

left a year later? If he had truly BUILT AN F-ING PROGRAM we wouldn't be circling the drain 2 seasons in...

Do some research on Clemson bball before OP,

Dec 27, 2011, 5:32 PM

Our basketball program is worst than the coots football program. Let that sink in a minute.

OP had us winning 20+ games a year, took us to the tournament every year,and almost won the ACC in 2008. I'd say he took us places we weren't used to.

Why did he leave then?

Dec 27, 2011, 5:35 PM

just asking

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Because he knew that he had taken us as far as he could and

Dec 27, 2011, 5:41 PM

didn't want to try and find a job after the masquerade was over...

"Taken us as far as we could"

Dec 27, 2011, 6:15 PM

What an ignorant statement. 64 teams a year get to go to the tournament and he had us consistently in it every year. He lost a couple tough games in the tournament and we eventually would have made a run. I

He took us to 3 tourney games, none of which we won and if

Dec 28, 2011, 12:03 AM

he thought he would have made the tourney, HeII ANY tourney,He would not have run off like a thief in the night.

I said "taken us as far as HE could"...We have gone higher

Dec 28, 2011, 12:18 AM [ in reply to "Taken us as far as we could" ]

without him...He wasn't here when we won the ACC regular season(an achievement greater than winning two games in a row in the ACC tourney)or for one single NCAA win...

I've heard a lot of rumors but nothing I can verify..******

Dec 27, 2011, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Why did he leave then? ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone did not want Oliver Purnell to leave***

Dec 28, 2011, 2:10 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

and yet...

Dec 28, 2011, 7:00 AM

there are more goobers on the loose

you obviously know nothing about basketball***

Dec 28, 2011, 8:13 AM

23% rating on this post...glad to see most don't agree.

Dec 28, 2011, 10:00 AM

I'm sure its been said before...Brownell is paying for OP's lack of recruiting...and has a team full of players recruited to run a full court press....OP took guys who were raw and athletic instead of basketball players.

Guess you don't realize how hard is to transition kids built for a full court press into a motion based offense.

We will have to wait another 2 or 3 years to determine whether or not he was a good hire or not.

Re: 23% rating on this post...glad to see most don't agree.

Dec 28, 2011, 10:33 AM

Of course the post got 23% pulse. Its a post about Clemson that isn't 100% positive. You're jus saying what everybody else is saying. If that were the case he wouldn't have been able to go 22-11 last year with OP's players running a totally different style.

Dec 28, 2011, 10:19 AM

OP SUCKED AND RAN AROUND ON HIS WIFE

Replies: 81
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic