Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
D Mac
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

D Mac

Apr 30, 2011, 3:02 PM

You know, at some point 4 years of superlative "on-the-field" production should outweigh combine & individual workouts. The draft is a strange process. Maybe, at least in this realm, all if our amazing technological and communications advances are confusing more than assisting the process.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%!***

Apr 30, 2011, 3:15 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: D Mac

Apr 30, 2011, 3:37 PM

It's ALL about the "measureables" in the NFL. Does not matter about your past performance, character, commitment to team, etc. But if you're 6'3", run a 4.6 40 YD, bench press 225 45 times, you're an All-Pro once they "coach you up" (like college coaches are clueless). Give me a guy with solid measureables, heart, football IQ and is team oriented (ie coachable), I'll take him every time. One of the main reasons the college game is MUCH better than the NFL.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2011, 8:12 AM

Sorry but you can't play safety, corner, or linebacker with 4.65 speed in the NFL. D Bowers ran that with a knee in rehab....I think that is what the NFL saw. The big problem is where do you play the guy? In the pro's a safety may have to cover a Jacoby Ford speed guy in man coverage in some blitz situations. That is where we got beat alot last year and it shined like a diamond in a goats butt! I wish he was big enough for D Line but he is a tweener! In between positions!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2011, 3:52 PM

I agree. Performance on the field should mean more. D mac is just one of those guys who is faster in pads.

Ya.. Just ask Christian Ponder***

Apr 30, 2011, 3:54 PM

I love D Mac, but....

Apr 30, 2011, 4:12 PM

I thought he looked lazy at times last year. I'm pulling for him! Maybe the NFL people saw what I saw.

Very true. He had an amazing JR season, but last yr...

Apr 30, 2011, 6:02 PM

he didnt look too tough. He still tries to tackle too high, as much of our D does, and he had a lot of blown coverages last yr. I dont know if he was trying too hard to make the big play or what, but he definately had a drop off in production and it hurt his draft status.

He bit to many times on the run fake and got burnt big time

Apr 30, 2011, 8:53 PM

Against Miami and the Coots

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully he will have the opportunity to prove you right.

Apr 30, 2011, 6:03 PM

Someone with nothing better to do needs to keep the list of first rounders and see where they are in 5 years. I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed by a lot of the 1st rounders. Either the NFL scouts really know what they are doing (paying little attention to college game) or they really do know what they're talking about (judging by potential and physical measurables). Someone needs to chart this stuff.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

IMO the reason there are so many draft "busts" in the early

Apr 30, 2011, 6:22 PM

rounds, but "Hall of Famers" in the mid to later rounds is because they put way way too much emphasis on silly numbers & stats from the combines. You see it all the time. Guys you never heard of zooming up the draft boards because of their numbers at the combine. And smaller or slightly slower guys that were proven performers in college, especially in the major conferences, drop down. It's silly! If a guy has been a stud in a major conference it's dumb to draft him after some nobody that had a great combine.

We see it on the college level too. We all hear stories about these guys that are Tarzan in the gym, weight room, or at practice, but are Janes on the field.

Chinidad Ohan in the 80s and just recently Rendrick Taylor are perfect examples.

How many great college players

Apr 30, 2011, 8:10 PM

have busted in the NFL?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: How many great college players

May 1, 2011, 10:48 AM

Andre Ware

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2011, 6:37 PM

Your post is confusing;or maybe it's just I don't understand all of this amazing technological and communication mumbo jumbo you mentioned.Nah,it's your post.

Apr 30, 2011, 8:04 PM

I'll try to ignore the blatant disrespect in your reply to my response. What I am saying, and hopefully this is clear enough for you, is that with the intense and thorough focus on gauging the measurables, the 40 times, the shuttle drills, the wonderlick testing, the weight weight and circumference of every body part, the deep investigation of these players conduct in 1st grade math class, etc... along with the technology to immediately report and speculate on any and every possible mode of scrutiny sometimes clouds our evaluation of athletes. It'll never be a perfect science, but with the proliferation of these tests and evaluations, sometimes the thing that is most overlooked is the body of "on-the-field" work someone has built.

D Mac had three solid years and one incredible year. He was always known as a big hitter, who had a nose for the ball and caused havoc as a result. He didn't do this in the Patriot league, but on a major stage and over a full college career.

It just seems very odd that a player with such a high level of production goes undrafted. Hopefully that is clear enough for you...

Lordy 09... what does that have to do with anything?

Apr 30, 2011, 8:19 PM

Your broad brush question.. frankly... has absolutely no bearing. SOP for you... so it goes.

I see a few folks agree that he was more hype than hitter

Apr 30, 2011, 9:05 PM

I thought he killed us many times over during the season, but got blasted for it...every excuse was made for him. Maybe the NFL scouts are smarter than the orange tinted glasses fans at TigerNet. IF he is as good as TigerNation wants to believe, he will get to prove it as an undrafted free agent.

Re: I see a few folks agree that he was more hype than hitter

May 1, 2011, 11:00 AM

Well thats what a draft analyst told me yesterday. When asked how could Maxwell be taken ahead of DeAndre, he replied that Maxwell has a ton of special team upside and Deandre cant cover...I def dont believe his coverage stills are so bad that he goes undrafted, but I have no say so, so it doesnt matter anyway

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic