Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I can't even believe I'm writing this...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 3,468

I can't even believe I'm writing this...

Apr 18, 2011, 8:31 AM

But I find it ironic that CLEMSON fans would actually believe the fact that Jack Leggett has had success is because Clemson was an annual baseball power due to Wilhelm. It's like people forget how hard it is for the next guy to take over after a great coach and continue their success. Leggett had success because he was also a great coach.

If any fan base in America should understand that just because you were great throughout the 80's, doesn't mean you'll have success in the 90's and 2000's.

When I hear people say that, I don't know whether to laugh or call them an idiot. Would Corbin be a great coach at Clemson? Probably, but why make a move right now? Would Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens be a quality replacement for Brownell? Probably, but there's no reason to entertain that right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great point. How did that continuation of success theory

Apr 18, 2011, 9:10 AM

work out on the football side of things for the coaches that followed Danny Ford?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Some are frustrated with Jack Leggett.

Apr 18, 2011, 9:12 AM

Being frustrated is no reason to replace this highly successful coach.
Anyone who proposes firing Jack Leggett is either a baseball novice or a plain fool.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget that there were morons who wanted Ford gone too

Apr 18, 2011, 9:15 AM

Loyalty and 8 World Series is all you have to say about Legget.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think anyone would be a quality replacement

Apr 18, 2011, 9:18 AM

for Brownell......... I am convinced that we have the best coach. I wouldn't take anyone over Brownell right now.

Leggett is a good coach, the only place he is lacking, that I see, is big game, getting the MOST out of his players. Pains me to say, but Ray Tanner has Jack Leggett beat in that department. Having said that, I would never dream of running Leggett off, because you have to be extremely lucky to find a coach that can motivate his team like Tanner has been able to do.

I agree w/ BB comment

Apr 18, 2011, 9:55 AM

though it is a little soon to proclaim him the best. I think one day we will. You can already see he is pretty good though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are ACC teams that have passed us as well, not just SC***

Apr 18, 2011, 7:43 PM [ in reply to I don't think anyone would be a quality replacement ]

Re: There is one difference

Apr 18, 2011, 9:42 AM

There IS a reason to entertain the idea right now b/c our BB team is crap! Preseason pick to win the ACC and we have a sub .500 record in conference! Jack has NEVER been able to win a big game or series. Can't beat the Coots, and spends too much time recruiting guys that more than likely are NEVER gonna go to college b/c of being drafted so high. Just don't like the way our program has gone under him. Don't know if Corbin's the answer, but do believe some type of move should be made.

We are not under .500 in conference and are in 2nd place

Apr 18, 2011, 9:46 AM

only 2 games out of the division lead so it's not as bad as you paint it. Jack has won an ACC title, countless Regional, Super Regional, and CWS games so to say he can't win the big one is absurd. Coming into this year, every senior to play under him played in a CWS. He's one of the winningest coaches in college baseball. I think our program is just fine.

^^^The ruhtard is strong in TNW's post

Apr 18, 2011, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: There is one difference ]

Jack has won countless big series and games. I guess you don't consider winning Regionals or Super Regionals a big win? Or the win against FSU to end the season last year?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Absolutely clueless...

Apr 18, 2011, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: There is one difference ]

but that isn't a surprise. If anybody recruited guys that weren't going to go to college it was Kevin O'Sullivan. Have you forgotten that Clemson lost NOBODY from this year's freshman class to the pros? Clemson is NOT sub-.500 in the conference and swept Florida State last year to win the division. Does THAT not qualify as winning a "big series"? I guess winning the ACC Tournament doesn't qualify as a "big series". Get a brain before you start posting ignorant crap.

Re: NO it doesn't count. So what? How about beat

Apr 18, 2011, 10:33 AM

your in state rival that's nationally ranked and the defending NC because they what.... beat us twice in Ohmaha! If mediocrity is what you consider acceptable then Jack is fine. I would prefer to win a National title than "a series with FSU"! Sick of this rec. league mentality that has infested our athletic dept. I don't care about the coach's feelings, or how loyal he is to the university. I don't care how good of a guy he is, WIN! You are hired to WIN! Same in every sport. Failure has become acceptable here provided everyone tried really hard. What a load of crap! You win or you go home. There are no style points, "A's for effort", or any other BS that has been pedaled around here lately! Next Jack will pull a Tommy Bowden and talk about how we were 5 hits away from a National title. Gimme a break. Win or Quit. In the words of Ricky Bobby, lame I know, but truly how I feel. "If you ain't first, your last"!

Mediocrity? So the final four is mediocre now? Like it or

Apr 18, 2011, 10:36 AM

not, that FSU sweep was huge last year. Your argument was that Jack had never won a big game or series, which couldn't be further from the truth

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

All you're doing...

Apr 18, 2011, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: NO it doesn't count. So what? How about beat ]

is proving your cluelessness. You claim that Clemson had "never won a big game or series" which is clearly false. Stop obsessing over South Carolina. Being the 7th winningest active coach in division 1 is NOT "mediocrity". Some Clemson fans really embarrass the school and the intelligent fans. The athletic department really doesn't care about your opinion.

Re: All you're doing...

Apr 18, 2011, 10:50 AM

They may not, but they don't really care about winning either if that be the case. 7th winningest active coach? Hurray! National titles? Better yet overall record at Ohmaha? check that one out. Anybody can stock pile wins when you ride Wilhelm's coat tails for several years and coach for a long time. IMPORTANT wins are what count. Tell me one good team we've won a series against this year. We've beaten up on the loser teams, and really haven't even dominated them. Lost to NC St, Swept by UNC, rediculous. Cut him lose before he does to baseball what Tommy West did to football.

Just wanted to point out

Apr 18, 2011, 11:06 AM

NCSt. swept unc last weekend.......and unc was rated in the Top10 in every poll I saw last week

They won't be in the Top 10 this week, I'll bet

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think anyone is happy we lost to the Coots in Omaha,

Apr 18, 2011, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: NO it doesn't count. So what? How about beat ]

but finishing in the final four of the CWS is not settling for mediocrity. I'm glad we have a coach that keeps putting us in a position to be there and win. One of these times,vmuch like Roy Williams in basketball with all of his final 4 appearances, we're gonna break through and win it all.

Hard to make it to Omaha w/o winning a big game or series

Apr 18, 2011, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: There is one difference ]

along the way.

This is another situation where a . . .

Apr 18, 2011, 9:47 AM

lack of support from the administration is hurting a program. We lost a good pitching coach who was able to more than double his salary and replaced him with a guy who is one step above a high school coach. Until Phillips and Barker provide adequate resources to our programs, it's sort of hard to evaluate whether a particular coach is doing a good job or not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is another situation where a . . .

Apr 18, 2011, 10:07 AM

I agree. I support Jack, its not like he woke up in Febrary and forgot how to coach baseball. Our coaches, in every sport need and deserve the best tools available the administration can provide. First and foremost their full support. Provide all this, then if the product is not up to standards, its time to move on.

Re: This is another situation where a . . .

Apr 18, 2011, 10:47 AM [ in reply to This is another situation where a . . . ]

> lack of support from the administration is hurting a
> program. We lost a good pitching coach who was able
> to more than double his salary and replaced him with
> a guy who is one step above a high school coach.
> Until Phillips and Barker provide adequate resources
> s to our programs, it's sort of hard to evaluate
> whether a particular coach is doing a good job or not.

WHAT???? nobody wanted Bunn to stay and he is now not coaching. None of the pitchers liked Bunn. he was not missed.

That pitching coach...

Apr 18, 2011, 10:51 AM [ in reply to This is another situation where a . . . ]

lasted all of one year at Alabama and is now unemployed. Not much of a loss.

Re: I can't even believe I'm writing this...

Apr 18, 2011, 10:11 AM

Jack Leggett is one of, if not in the top FIVE, best Coaches in the Country along with Tanner at USC.
Clemson fans are just that...FANS... and they are spoiled and frustrated because of what happens in Columbia. We have one of the top programs in the Country and it's in part due to Coach Wilhelm, but mainly it's due to JACK LEGGETT and the list of assistants he has had over the years. And remember...it's the PLAYERS that play the game, not the coach. It's the PLAYER that gets the clutch hit or strikes out with bases loaded, not Jack Leggett.Clemson fans, and all of TigerNet needs to grow up and worry more about what lot they are parking in for football this coming season. Jack and HIS program are juuuust fine thank you.

think we need a breathalizer and age verification check ******

Apr 18, 2011, 7:53 PM

Jack is a good coach, but the facts are, the program has

Apr 18, 2011, 7:42 PM

fallen under his watch. USC, UNC, UVa, and others have passed us. Jacks first 5 years were much better than his last 5 based on any form of measurement! The first half of his career at Clemson is far better to the last half. The numbers speak for themselves.

Is Clemson better than MOST programs? Yes!

But we have fallen behind our own standard and our main rivals, schools that we once owned & dominated, have passed us under Jack's watch.

I don't think people realize how hard it is to win a title

Apr 18, 2011, 7:44 PM

Tanner and Leggett have been top coaches the past 20 years and have a combined one title

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Would have more titles between them except for the fact...

Apr 18, 2011, 8:20 PM

... one of them uses room temperature bats.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 3,468
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic