Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell putting together a VERY nice 2011 class
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,461

Brownell putting together a VERY nice 2011 class

Feb 28, 2011, 8:22 AM

Brownell is putting together a nice looking 2011 class, filling every need with what appear to be quality players. He's also got a good start on 2012.

These are the types of kids that good coaches at schools like Butler, BYU, George Mason, St. Josephs, and dozens of other places take into the NCAAs every year.

And frankly, because these are the types of players who *will* sign with Clemson, if we believe in Brownell as a coach, we have to believe these are the types of players he can win with.

Every year for the past 60 years, UNC and Duke have routinely signed 2-3 players who "on paper" are as good or better than *any* player that Clemson has EVER signed.

Trying to lure that type of kid to Clemson is a losing battle. Only "Tates Locke ever succeeded and, well ... we know the results.

We're never going to beat the Dukes or the UNCs at high-level recruiting. If we try, all we'll do is miss out on the kids we have an honest chance at signing and end up grasping at straws like Barnes did his last year and OP did in his last Clemson class.

We can sign good kids every year and we can win consistently in the ACC with those kids as long as we have coaches who can identify them out of HS and develop them once they get to Clemson.

The guys who are on board with Brownell for 2011-2012 look a lot like our better recruits for the past 5-6 years ... kids who never got a sniff from UNC or Duke, but who would dearly love to come to Clemson for the chance to show Roy and Coach K that they can still beat the 5-star guys on the court.

By comparison ... KC Rivers was a 3-star, Trevor Booker was a 3-star, Demontez Stitt was a 3-star, Jerai Grant was a 3-star, Terrance Oglesby was a 3-star.

The list goes on and on.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post*****

Feb 28, 2011, 8:25 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell putting together a VERY nice 2011 class

Feb 28, 2011, 8:49 AM

We could use some size in the paint. Would love to see a good JUCO signee to fill in while we're looking.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good post....we are headed in the right direction***

Feb 28, 2011, 8:51 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: good post....we are headed in the right direction***

Feb 28, 2011, 10:39 AM

Agreed. Look at State and Ga Tech, they are recruiting NBA talent and have former players in the NBA today, but have nothing to show for it. Also, is it just me or does "Blossomgame" just sound like the name of an under the radar, bracket buster type player and household name. Waaaay ahead of myself, but thats the first thing I thought when I heard his name. Hope Im right.

Re: good post....we are headed in the right direction***

Feb 28, 2011, 11:19 AM

Are you saying his "game" will "blossom" under Brownell??

ahhh.....nice......back to your post it's going to take

Feb 28, 2011, 11:22 AM

finding and developing players...I just hope more than anything we can keep him around. That's proven to be more of a challenge than anything here with our team. We start moving in the right direction and then we start over. But if Brad wins big maybe the job and program are better to a point where we can make another good hire. Obviously he's not going to be coach forever no matter how successful he is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be right, and I hope you are, but I think coach

Feb 28, 2011, 10:23 AM

Brownell is going to find it very difficult to consistently contend for the ACC title or advance past the second round of the NCAA tournament without reeling in at least some big-time, Duke/UNC level talent.

Barnes ran into that problem at Clemson, but he's been much more successful at Texas where he's been able to get the big time players. Even though OP may have departed for other reasons as well, I think he saw the writing on the wall, and realized he had done all he could do here as he would never have the talent needed to win head-to-head with the big dogs in the ACC.

I think Brownell has done an unbelievable job; I am impressed with everything I see. Yet, I remain skeptical that we can "get to the next level", which to me means contending for the ACC title on a consistent basis, without signing some big-time recruits.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think you're right...it's going to take a break through

Feb 28, 2011, 10:33 AM

player with a few very good players to get us to that point. We're competing against great players with great coaches too. It's not like we are competing against Jerry Tarkanian at UNLV that just rolled the ball out there with a great team. You're competing against Coach K and Coach Williams. Legends at legendary schools/programs.

Re: I think you're right...it's going to take a break through

Feb 28, 2011, 10:50 AM

You can win big with the kind of players that Coach Brownell has developed. I am not an NBA fan and only rarely watch a pro game but most of the players on NBA rosters are guys I never heard of in college. Many of the 'star' players that UNC and Duke have are not successful at the next level. I can't remember the last time I heard Handsblowers named mentioned on ESPN. We need a good street player to win games for us in the last minute and a big guy who can't be pushed around under neath. BB will get those players.

Re: You may be right, and I hope you are, but I think coach

Feb 28, 2011, 4:42 PM [ in reply to You may be right, and I hope you are, but I think coach ]

The key is to develop a class like the one coming into something great. The advantage Clemson has is most of the players will be around for 4 years. If you can take this class and develop them into a team who can compete with Duke and UNC by year 3 then you have a chance. All it will take is one lucky ACC tournament run and we can show recruits it is possible to compete in the ACC.

null

Feb 28, 2011, 10:49 AM

He is doing an awesome job. I would like to see a real power player down low... someone 6-10, 6-11. But looking good for sure.

still need the big man in the middle, but

Feb 28, 2011, 11:01 AM

so do alot of other teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2011, 11:47 AM

Absolutely, he is. I hope we do add a 5th to this class and its a true 'big' (i.e. 6'10" or better and athletic/strong). Otherwise that is a tremendous need for the next class...

Of course Devin may start playing much bigger with another you under BB & coaching staff.

btw - Devin was a 4* recruit, I think. Although this was likely generous and possibly so because of the equations made to Trevor (who was posting double-double games routinely at that point).

Devin came in with Jennings, Hill and Johnson who were 5*, 3* aand 4* respectively. That class was as good on paper as any I recall, but obviously has a long way to go to pan out. Maybe Jennings & Booker will have tremendous gains between this season and next (like Jerai Grant this year) and finish with 2 very strong years here. Let's hope so!

Still, you have to like the odds with Brownell getting his guys in quickly.

Feb 28, 2011, 12:09 PM

We do need some beef in the middle.

I totally agree with the 2009 class. It looked great "On paper" and it was the highest rated at Clemson since the days of Tates Locke.

In retrospect, though, those ratings appear to have been generous.

Tellingly, even our McDonalds AA and the two other guys who garnered 4-star ratings in 2009 received no offers from UNC or Duke.

Feb 28, 2011, 3:18 PM

That is telling.

I trust BB and his staff to evaluate the players, and pursue those he thinks will be the best here for our program. I trust that far more than ratings by services... so looking forward to him getting 4 of his guys int he rotation!

There will be more 4-stars or higher soon...

Feb 28, 2011, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell putting together a VERY nice 2011 class ]

The reason why they didn't sign more higher rated players this years is the staff has only been on campus less than a year. Associate HC is a very good recruiter who develops strong relationships with recruits and once he has more time to get to know 4-star guys or higher, Coach Brownell will get a few of the guys in the future. Bernard Sullivan's top recruiter was Coach Ray and he reeled him in. Nothing wrong with getting the 3-star finds, but they will get some of those recruits too.

Too bad we dont play in their conferences***

Feb 28, 2011, 12:52 PM

Re: Too bad we dont play in their conferences***

Mar 1, 2011, 5:59 PM

I agree. That is a huge problem, but we don't have a choice. We are in the ACC, like it or not.

So, that's a big part of why I am perfectly satisfied to finish in the top half regularly, make top 4 ocasionally and hopefully acutally slip up and win an ACC title sooner or later.

Meanwhile, just getting into the NCAA's and doing well from there is plenty good enough for me as a basketball program.

And the Curry boys went to Liberty and UNCC...

Mar 1, 2011, 7:04 PM

There's plenty of talent out there. Anybody can spot a LeBron. It takes a great coach to identify and develop potential. Coach BB has the potential to be that guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,461
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic