Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I was all in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

I was all in

Dec 17, 2010, 9:25 AM

I bought into all the BS that got the man the job. I also had dreams that like former Bama men such as Frank Howard and Danny Ford that Dabo would be a great head coach. Watching his direction over the football program has changed that. Consider the following:
He said in August that if we had to run it 50 times to win a game, then that’s what we would do. Only to turn around and the very first game after benching upper-class WR we throw it a whopping 39 times against UNC. We also throw 44 passes against FSU while they looked like they had enough of Jamie Harper….Contradiction.

Speaking of those WR’s: How can we have double digit walk-ons placed on scholarship, but turn away Ace Sanders when he wanted to be a Tiger? Considering they had to get Lattimore, Gurley, and Jeffrey touches, he looked pretty impressive. Really would like to know how he would’ve contributed on the field with Nuke. Fast forward to this year and you see we have Martavis Bryant, Sammy Watkins, and Charone Peake committed kudos to the staff for getting the job done A+. However, scholarships are precious so why use not one, but two of them on raw projects at the same position. Especially since Tacoi Sumler wanted to commit, but is taking his talents to Oregon instead. Guess VK was right when he was vocal about Dabo falling in love and offering prospects without thorough evaluation. He was also right about him letting his compassion for walk-ons get in the way.

What HC worries about what’s said on the radio and message boards, including posts on private message boards that require money to read? We can turn down Levon Kirkland’s offer to help be an offseason assistant, but pay Munson to be a hall monitor. Good job F-

Xavier Dye walks off the practice field and Kyle Parker leaves his team behind after a loss. Both welcomed back, and in KP’s case KP himself decides to play the bowl game.

Back to double digit walk-ons receiving scholarships and offers to certain prospects (projects) that Dabo wants on his own. People talk about Auburn, Scar, and UNC going on probation, but with 84 scholarships our HC has a self-imposed probation.

You’re 6-6 and just got whooped for the second consecutive year by your rival….don’t call out the fans. Think back to 2008 when you were pumping us up and taking ownership and basically saying this crap ain’t Clemson football and by god I’m going to do something about it. Instead you blame a freshman walk-on kicker??? What happened to the guy that auditioned for the job?

I hope I’m on this very message board a year from now eating crow. From what I’ve seen my opinion has been swayed to believe things are going to get worse. I welcome opinions from critics, those that are undecided, and pumpers. If you disagree with me don’t just stop by and say crap like “bull” or “idiotic post.” Instead argue what I’ve posted and give reasons why. I think one individual that was called a post sniper in an earlier thread should take this to heart.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

About the walkons on scholarships...

Dec 17, 2010, 9:28 AM

didnt a couple yrs ago when TB was fired our recruting class took a hit big time. We only signed like 15 players. That left us a lot of scholarships that werent being used so why not give them to walkons?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: About the walkons on scholarships...

Dec 17, 2010, 9:34 AM

Sort of...the way it works at most schools when you put them on scholarship is you explain to them that it's a one year deal, and will be reviewed the following season. Ace Sanders is just one of several examples of players we turned away that I used as an example. We could've signed him and not renewed a scholarship to one of the walk-ons. It's done like this all over the country.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Everyone who brings up all the walk ons never factor in

Dec 17, 2010, 10:47 AM

That since the NSD on 2009 we have lost:

Jon Richt - transfer
Stanley Hunter - retirement
Scotty Cooper - retirement
JK Jay - retirement
Antwan Murchison - transfer
Willy Korn - transfer
Tarik Rollins - transfer

Jake Nicolopolus - retirement
Martavis Bryant - did not qualify
Ricky Chaney - did not qualify
Corey Crawford - did not qualify

Spencer Benton - was greyshirted and earned his scholly as promised
Terrence Ashe - same as Benton

That is 13 scholarships that were accounted for at that time in 2009. Since 11 of them were not used this year, it only made sense to give them to someone else, at least for the season

Dec 17, 2010, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: About the walkons on scholarships... ]

also Dabo stated we signed so few prospects that year because we wanted to save scholarships for the next class.

Clemson routinely undersigns... There should never be more than 3-4 walk ons with scholarships... those ships should be on a one year basis...

Dec 17, 2010, 10:51 AM

check the coot roster and see how many they have. you will be surprised. and yes, i think we have to many. but there are more reasons than the small class. we have lost several guys due to injuries and other things.

Dec 17, 2010, 5:58 PM

o yea.. injuries and attrition with some guys not making it in, which I personally think is all the more reason to over sign one or two every year... you know your gonna have attrition anyway

Very good post. My sentiments exactly.***

Dec 17, 2010, 9:34 AM

null

Re: I was all in

Dec 17, 2010, 9:38 AM

that is rich. none of you people will have the balls to eat crow. there will always be something that you guys will complain about. you are the glass half empty crowd.

Dec 17, 2010, 9:50 AM

Thank you for showing up. You're the exact poster I was referring to. I challenge you to give your opinions on what I posted and explain why. You show up in threads and give between 1-3 sentences that don't amount to squat. You don't even know me to make that statement. FYI, I was running off at the mouth and on message boards about how Dabo was going to kick us over the hump. HIS ACTIONS changed that....not the unhappy fanbase.

Their only arguments are hypothetical now

Dec 17, 2010, 12:16 PM

"If X happens, you will/won't do Y."

Wosco P. Coltrain?***

Dec 17, 2010, 12:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And right on queue.......

Dec 17, 2010, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: I was all in ]

with nothing to offer to the discussion, yet again.

null

^^^what happens when he tries to use big words***

Dec 17, 2010, 10:16 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

That's why he was called Goat Boy

Dec 17, 2010, 9:40 AM

As a former walk on, he has a soft spot
for scrubs.

I'll tell you why people say things like idiotic post

Dec 17, 2010, 9:43 AM

Your very first sentence immediately sets the tone and identifies your bias. " I bought into all the BS..." I hate to tell you this but once I read that I could have written the rest of your post for you. A rehashing/rewording of the same crap that has been posted on here probably 1000 times easily.

I get it man. You and the rest who do not want Dabo here, don't agree with his original hiring, think he's a whiner, etc.. are just plain pissed off. You weren't consulted prior to the hire( can't imagine why not ), they haven't been heeding your cries since( a real travesty ) and you feel like no one is listening. Makes you want to go to the mountain top and......post 10,000 times on tigernet in one day!!

I'll tell you the same thing I'd tell Blue Caddy, express13, etc... Get a life, a hobby, something. Spend more time with your wife and kids if you are lucky enough to have them. It's the holiday season. Cheer up. Life's too short. Etc... Do I need to go on?

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just imagine being the family of these posters

Dec 17, 2010, 9:47 AM

and living in the sour life sucking world they face with them each day. Think of all the people that have to cross the street when these misery spreaders are coming toward them.

Re: Just imagine being the family of these posters

Dec 17, 2010, 9:56 AM

Yep and I slam the door shut on old people when I see em' coming....

Dec 17, 2010, 10:52 AM

lol...

These people trip me out man. They think if you do not like the direction of Clemson athletics and you speak out about it then you have a rotten attitude. Its ridiculous... Like we should all just hold hands and sing cumbaya all day....

Yea I slap my wife and beat my kids too... kick granny's as well...

jeez

Dec 17, 2010, 11:18 AM

It is not the message. It is the delivery. The personal attacks. The twisting of anything Dabo says or does to portray him in a negative light and, above all, the fact that, IMO, it is counterproductive. You cannot tell me that recruits these days don't read message boards or are not made aware of what the message boards are saying. Kids these days are too techno-savvy. They all have cellphones with internet access, etc.. You can argue all you want that kids should not be influenced by the rants of unnamed posters but if even one recruit comes on tigernet and has his opinion swayed even the least little bit against coming to Clemson because of what he reads on here then those posts have done us a disservice and I am against that completely. I assume that anyone who posts on here, unless they are blatant Coots, wants Clemson to do as well as possible and succeed. When I get on this board and get an overwhelming negative vibe from the personal attacks on our HC, AD, President I can only assume that might be the takeaway a potential recruit would get. Hopefully he is able to wade thru that and examine the program using his own criteria but it is naive to think 18 yr olds are not influenced by what they see and hear.

In the end you are doing the University and the football program a disservice and I absolutely fault you for it.

Go Tigers!!

P.S. While I am a Clemson grad, an IPTAY member and bleed orange, I am not a pumper. Ask my family. I can be very critical of things I see occurring on and off the football field. I have concerns about the job TDP has done. I wonder if DS is destined to be a success here. What I don't do is shoot myself and Clemson in the foot by attacking the University I love.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think of the children - Oh the humanity!!! Poor Dabo :(

Dec 17, 2010, 6:43 PM

Peoples on here are so mean yo!

I will say it again. NO ONE knows if a poster on here is a

Dec 17, 2010, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Just imagine being the family of these posters ]

Gamecock, Bulldog, Wolf,etc.etc. Anyone can post on here and ACT like they are a disgruntled Clemson supporter, which indeed some are. But, I suspect many, and especially of late, are imposters. If our coaching staff, and I am certain they can, cannot make educate our recruits to this possibility, then they are incompetent. The fact that they are bringing in possibly our best class in history proves other wise. Having said that, I do think that posters that are constantly stirring the pot with statements like," Do you think Miami comes after Steele?", " Has anyone heard if Watkins and Bellamy are going to qualify?", "Can you recap our cheating scandal back in the 80's?",etc.etc. should be banned. I, for one , am tired of trying to figure out if a poster is a true fan or not.

G&B and Neilly are #####.***

Dec 17, 2010, 7:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Honestly....

Dec 17, 2010, 9:56 AM [ in reply to I'll tell you why people say things like idiotic post ]

I don't know what's been said daily on the message board. Look at my post history and you will see that today is the only time I've really done any posting. The past few months I've put in between 54-57 hours a week at work. Slow day for a change and just checking out the internet.

Don't tell me what to do in my personal life....trust me I'm a very happy man that won't sleep a lick Christmas Eve night....why? Because I've worked my ### off to give my 4-year old daughter and 8-year old son the best Christmas I can. Not that I owe a conclusion jumper such as yourself an explanation into my time off the net.

Clemson football is most of our hobbies***

Dec 17, 2010, 10:06 AM [ in reply to I'll tell you why people say things like idiotic post ]

After I read your second sentence I could have written your

Dec 17, 2010, 8:01 PM [ in reply to I'll tell you why people say things like idiotic post ]

Post for you too. Like most docs (assuming you're a doctor) you have the "I'm better than you" attitude. Go fyuck yourself...and go Tigers!!!

Dec 17, 2010, 9:59 AM

Dabo will be the coach next year so any further complaining right now is pointless, unless its to the AD (even if that matters..I dont know). If Dabo puts in another year like this one, then hes gone.

I like Swinney and and think he will be a good coach one day, we just have to deal with him learning on the fly.

About the walk-ons though...who is a walk on that is on scholarship? Last time I looked, it seemed like it was only 3-4 guys.

11 walk-ons received scholarships (Link)

Dec 17, 2010, 10:14 AM

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2010/aug/29/Clemson-Football-Walk-Ons-Open-Mind/

Thanks for the link....

Dec 17, 2010, 10:20 AM

I had never seen the article before (probably bc I do not receive O&W any longer).

Looks like all but one maybe is either a junior or senior...guess he offered those guys bc we had open scholarships, but I doubt he turned down anyone to bc he had committed to these guys.

We had open scholarships from small signing class in 09 and we didn't have a full class last year and few guys didnt even make it in. Looks like this year though we will sign the allowed limit. I wouldn't expect him to give out that many walk-ons scholarships each season.

Re: Thanks for the link....

Dec 17, 2010, 10:55 AM

I think his original point was we did not sign the 25 max, and haven't in years, that you can bring in in August. Therefore, you can give at least 1 out of your 11 scholarships that you are saving to walk ons to someone who might actually contribute..

My of the responses validated another theory of mine.

Dec 17, 2010, 10:09 AM

Taking a step back I see numerous anti-Dabo posts that give reasons why an individual is against him. Those that still defend him give absolutely ZERO reasons why they're still behind him.

You get crap like: you're not a real fan, idiotic post is idiotic, you must be miserable, etc. etc.

Come on deroberts....give us at least one post with some thought behind it. I know you can do it and I know you definitely have time since your the one sentence sniper.

My reasons for still supporting Dabo...

Dec 17, 2010, 10:15 AM

are not complex. I just still feel inside me that he will work out and I have decided that I will make a judgement after next season.

Dabo, Napier & Scott will have 3 1/2 years together (by 2011) and I think that's a fair enough time, at least to me, to make a judgment.

Im not happy with the results, but I haven't written them off yet...that's just my personal take.

That's kind of like that Hope and Change crap

Dec 17, 2010, 10:29 AM

with Obama.....

You a demo?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually its not...

Dec 17, 2010, 10:52 AM

And thats just my personal thoughts about Dabo...im not gonna worry about it til next season. Besides, in politics we get to vote...not so much here. Next year though will be an election year for Dabo.

Why the Heck people keep comparing Clemson football and Swinney to the USA and Obama is just stupid.

Re: Actually its not...

Dec 17, 2010, 10:56 AM

I respect your opinion.. I also think its the reason Dabo was hired in the first place.. A gut feeling..

I would agree...he was hired on a gut feeling***

Dec 17, 2010, 11:10 AM

Re: I was all in, but not to take it on the chin***

Dec 17, 2010, 10:12 AM

Re: I was all in, but not to take it on the chin, I would

Dec 17, 2010, 10:16 AM

have given anyone else time to get his system to work, but Dabo don't deserve that.

i had to pullover to respond to this crap

Dec 17, 2010, 10:21 AM

Do you people realize that posting this crap on a main board hurts Clemson? And how anyone can say they ate "all in" after two short years is crazy. Period.

Dabo, pull back onto the road and get to work.***

Dec 17, 2010, 10:23 AM

null

Re: Dabo, pull back onto the road and get to work.***

Dec 17, 2010, 10:27 AM

Bump me up to even average pay and I will. Lol

What? You're overpaid as it is.***

Dec 17, 2010, 10:39 AM

null

Re: i had to pullover to respond to this crap

Dec 17, 2010, 10:25 AM [ in reply to i had to pullover to respond to this crap ]

Ate-arent

Re: i had to pullover to respond to this crap

Dec 17, 2010, 10:58 AM [ in reply to i had to pullover to respond to this crap ]

how?

how is it hurting Clemson?

Reading and driving will hurt yourself and other motorists.

Dec 17, 2010, 8:04 PM [ in reply to i had to pullover to respond to this crap ]

Not going to value the opinion of someone dumb or selfish enough to do it.

Dec 17, 2010, 5:54 PM

I find it a bit ironic that shortly after writing that you'd passed judgment on coach Swinney and concluded that he won't be a great head coach, following a grand total of 2 full years on the job, that you go on to label someone else a "conclusion jumper" later in the thread. And you choose to use Ford and Howard as your examples of comparative great coaches which, in effect, is like comparing apples to oranges, because you're using the large body of work of Ford and Howard and comparing that to the small body of work of Swinney.

An apples to apples comparison...Ford, 8-4 and 6-5 in years one and two. Year two included blowout losses to Duke (in Death Valley) and MD. Howard went 2-6 and 3-6 in years 3 and 4 at Clemson. Hall of Famer Vince Dooley went 7-3-1 and 6-4 his 1st two years and lost 4 or more games ~13 times over his 25 year career.

"We also throw 44 passes against FSU"...
That strategy would have worked if not for some ill-timed execution issues. Using that example in a 3 point game to support your case isn't very convincing.
Florida rushed the ball 47 times, 4.5/rush, vs FSU and passed 16 times. They scored a total of 7 points.

"Think back to 2008 when you were pumping us up and taking ownership and basically saying this crap ain’t Clemson football and by god I’m going to do something about it. Instead you blame a freshman walk-on kicker???"

Swinney has said that the results this year aren't acceptable and he directly blamed coaching for at least one loss that I recall. It's not uncommon for coaches to throw players under the bus on occasion, either directly or indirectly, and I've heard it many times from NFL and College coaches (see Spurrier for the book on it)..."We couldn't tackle anybody, we couldn't catch the ball, our receivers had 12 drops, we didn't throw the ball very well, if we had made that catch we would have won" etc...Is that really all that different from saying "if we'd made a few more kicks, we would have won a couple more games".

"Taking a step back I see numerous anti-Dabo posts that give reasons why an individual is against him. Those that still defend him give absolutely ZERO reasons why they're still behind him".

10 reasons I still support him while acknowledging that the jury is still out...
1.Because it's way too early to draw any long term conclusions
2.I think he will prove to be the best, most consistent recruiter we've had since Ford.
3.I think he has high character
4.I think he has the makings of a good leader, will grow into the job, and will learn from his mistakes
5.Because it's way too early to draw any long term conclusions
6.He's ambitious and wants to be a great coach
7.He loves Clemson and is passionate about his job
8.He truly cares about his players and they want to play for him
9.He took Clemson to the ACCCG for the first time
The ACC of the 80s vs today.. http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=920908&tstart=60)
10.Because if he does indeed learn from his mistakes and consistently recruits at the level he looks to be recruiting this year, Clemson will be back with a vengeance.

I took you up on your challenge to list reasons to defend him. Now would you answer a few questions I've yet to see answered by his staunchest critics, most of whom repeat the same tired complaints over and over and over again. And if this doesn't apply to you, maybe you can can hazard a guess since your line of thinking seems similar to theirs.

-What is to be gained, personally, with the non-stop public criticism of Swinney?
-How does this benefit Clemson currently in light of the fact that Swinney is Clemson's coach through next year at minimum. And since it has the potential to affect the football program negatively (recruits have been quoted saying as much)..Why risk influencing recruits?
-Where's the credible proof that Swinney won't be a great head coach in light of the fact that other great coaches had similar results at similar stages in their careers?

Dec 17, 2010, 8:32 PM

Thanks CLEMSONUN for an excellent reply...hall of fame material there and lots of things that need to be said.

Dec 17, 2010, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I was all in ]

great post, clemsonun!

Here are my reasons to support Dabo one more year (based on his actions this year):

1. When senior WRs were unsuccessful, Dabo did go to Nuke and other freshman WRs. Fans anticipated it and Dabo acted. I haven't seen this with Bowden.
2. When Ellington performed, Dabo agreed to give him more touches.
3. Dabo benched Parker twice when he didn't perform.
4. I have personally analyzed play calling for many games, and have found them to be OK. yes, there is room for improvement. But, play calling is not a problem.

Their first two seasons

Dec 17, 2010, 7:58 PM

So based on this anaylsis you would have fired Danny Ford after his second season? Remember, Coach Ford went 8-4 and 6-5 in his first two years. Dabo has gone 9-5 and 6-6. There is not a lot of difference between the two. Please know by drawing this comparisons I am not saying Dabo is going to lead the team to a National Champinship next year. What I am saying is...give the guy a chance. This notion we have all this talent is a joke. Let him recruit and see what he happens. In two years, if we have not made significant progress then you can call for his head. Until then, be a true Tiger and support the man.

Dec 17, 2010, 8:25 PM

When everyone whines and moans about us hiring a wide receiver coach for a head coach and points out how bad the offense was, no one ever gives him credit for putting one of the best defenses in the country on the field. A defense that knocked the sec freshman of the year backward for losses all night. A defense that was in the top ten in several categories most of the season. I guess a WR coach can coach defense but not offense. If we just think about what we lost on offense from 2009 coupled with lossing our best offensive player to injury this year, it's not hard to see that this team was lacking offensive talent. I say let this staff bring in a top ten class and give him time to see what they can do and in two years if things haven't improved I can assure you that changes will be made. We can't get anywhere by firing coaches everytime one has a bad season.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic