Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The final explanation from me concerning the program.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

The final explanation from me concerning the program.

Dec 9, 2010, 6:18 PM

This is hopefully my final post in defense of the decisions being made with the athletic program. You wack jobs on here are driving me crazy with the whinning and moaning. So here it is:

Like it or not Dabo is a new hire. Agreement with that classification is irrelevant. He is a new head coach and should (and will) be afforded the same amount of time as any other new coach. TDP gambled on Bowden winning his final year because of the group coming back. He wasn't alone either. Every major analyst picked us to win as well. When Bowden flirted with Arkansas TDP did what he should have. He kept the program intact in anticipation of the upcoming season. He took a well calculated chance and I am confident most AD's would have done the same, I know everyone around CU at the time agreed.
TDP unloaded OP and it was brilliant. OP ran a gimmick offense and has proven time after time that his teams are not competitive in tournaments. Letting him go to Depaul SAVED him from having to fire the man in a couple of years after failing to advance in the big dance. Hiring dabo was calculated as well. He knew that recruiting would not take a huge hit as it always does when a coaching change occurs. Dabo is inexperienced but has the tools necessary to be very successfull. This season is unacceptable to fans, TDP, and the BOT. But most of all its unacceptable to the players and coaches. You must think these men are idiots if they don't know that winning is what is most important.

The bottom line is this:

1. We have a monster class coming in and the coaches deserve the chance to see what they can do with them.
2. Last year Napier was an offensive genius on this board and his scheme was lighting up the scoreboard. We simply didn't have a go to receiver to throw to. Thus limiting the run game and the TE. You morons on here that just want blood are the reason fans don't get input on hiring and firing, because you are morons.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The final explanation from me concerning the program.

Dec 9, 2010, 6:24 PM

Very well stated but you get blasted for this post.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2010, 6:24 PM

Can't add anything to that.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Dec 9, 2010, 6:27 PM

AMEN>>>>AMEN>>>>and AMEN

Dec 9, 2010, 6:27 PM

I totally agree and that is why Dabo keeps proclaiming to be patient because he realizes the type of class that is coming in and how they will fit in the system. Our class is already very impressive and just imagine it if (or when) we pick up a couple of the studs that are still on the board.

Dec 9, 2010, 6:30 PM

Well Stated...Probably won't quiet the masses...but well stated.

Truth......Reality

Dec 9, 2010, 6:50 PM

You speak truth/reality...and every griper on this board needs get a good dose of it.....I'll take their tickets next year if they don't want them!!!

Dec 9, 2010, 6:51 PM

Too much reason used on a board like this.

Agree with everything except about TB's extension and Napier

Dec 9, 2010, 6:51 PM

1. I think TDP should have let Tommy Bowden go. Arkansas would not have taken him, and if they had they would be in a totally different world right now. There was absolutely no good reason to give Tommy Bowden that kind of an extension. And I'm not using hindsight. Even though I didn't want him fired, I thought it was insane that we gave him such a huge extension based on a decent 9-win season after nearly a decade of mediocrity. TDP made a bad decision and threw a ton of money away... which contributed for him settling on Dabo.

2. Now I currently support Dabo as our head coach (even if I would have preferred someone else when he was hired) and understand that he needs until next season before we talk about firing the guy but I don't see Billy Napier as the right offensive coordinator for a program that takes itself seriously. He may end up being a great coach, but Clemson deserves an upgrade.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree with everything except about TB's extension and Napier

Dec 9, 2010, 7:14 PM

I agree with you on OP. I can see the TB deal from both sides. The thing that concerns most people is the offense. The QB play is what cost us this season. How can a coach let his QB roll right on third down and throw an incomplete pass over and over? Why would he throw it when he could have ran it and moved the chains. The statement he give us the best chance to win scares people. When you see this week after week you question your head coach. I like Dabo and hope he is here for a long time. He will be gone if he doesnt fix the QB problem

Re: Very well said... bravo***

Dec 9, 2010, 7:06 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Moron is a strong word, which should be reserved for you

Dec 9, 2010, 7:10 PM

Noone EVER said Napier was an offensive genius. Dabo and Napier together couldn't finish a jigsaw puzzle.

We will be great in 2013 when this class are juniors!!!

Dec 9, 2010, 7:10 PM

And why does dabo DESERVE the chance to see what this class(which has not signed yet by the way) can do? What if his class next year is even better but we go 4 and 8? Will he DESERVE to see what that class can do as well?

Sorry that you do not see the lack of leadership in the CUAD, Barker and the BOT's lack of commitment to football and athletics in general or the giant steps backwards that this program took this season.

Take an extra hit of koolaid tonight, sounds like you need it.

Purnell runs a gimmick offense? What do you think our

Dec 9, 2010, 7:16 PM

basketball program is? We've never won anything. Purnell takes us to three straight tourneys, gets us national respect, hammers Duke and UNC in successive years at LJ, gets us to an ACC tourney final, and you think he needed to go?

Good lord, man--you are blind as a bat.

OP left because he wanted to. He did a very good job here.***

Dec 9, 2010, 7:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Purnell's and Bowden's tenures at Clemson are very

Dec 9, 2010, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Purnell runs a gimmick offense? What do you think our ]

similar. Both improved their respective programs, but never could get us over the hump -- leading to their departure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Last year we were 11th in ACC in red zone scoring.

Dec 9, 2010, 7:18 PM

Same problem as this year. The only difference was Spiller could score from midfield. Just because you didn't see the problem doesn't mean it didn't exist. It is simply a commentary on your football knowledge and thus reveals the value of your posts. A lot of us voiced our concern last year, but the only response we received was "Wins are all that matter." Amazing how quick your tune changes.

Yeah, now wins don't even matter.***

Dec 9, 2010, 9:33 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen! Finally some rational common sense on this board!***

Dec 9, 2010, 7:21 PM

Dec 9, 2010, 7:32 PM

I agree 100%. OP took this program as far as he could take it. It was not going to get any better. Thanks Op for the job you did. Lets move on to a new chapter. Lets get past the first round and make a run at a final four. If it doesnt work out in three years then look for a new coach. I think as Clemson fans we are scared to dream big. It was obvious after 6-7 years with TB it wasnt getting any better. The same with OP. Lets get out of our comfort zone and take a chance at somthing big.

You're wrong, and you don't know Clemson history.

Dec 9, 2010, 7:42 PM

Since when do we get dissatisfied with tourney appearances? For the record, you can't win a Final Four if you can't get to the Dance...

Seriously--you Purnell haters can't be this stupid, can you? Or maybe you can. The whole Clemson world is upside down...people refusing to go to bowl games, people thinking we're suddenly just like Duke in basketball...this place is a freaking looney-bin.

Being satisfied with tourney apperance is like being ok

Dec 9, 2010, 8:49 PM

with making it to a bowl. Its nice if you don't usually get there but eventually you need to take the next step. Im not an OP hater. I appreciate what he did here.

Being satisfied with tourney apperance is like being ok

Dec 9, 2010, 8:50 PM [ in reply to You're wrong, and you don't know Clemson history. ]

with making it to a bowl. Its nice if you don't usually get there but eventually you need to take the next step. Im not an OP hater. I appreciate what he did here.

I'm with you 100%

Dec 9, 2010, 9:07 PM [ in reply to You're wrong, and you don't know Clemson history. ]

Beginning of rant.

I'm glad I read tigernet so I can learn how lousy OP was for Clemson basketball. I thought we were winning 20 games a year, getting to the finals of the ACC tournament and scoring consecutive invitations to the NCAAs. I remember when it was a bad thing to get to the NIT finals that one year against WVU. Wow!! I think he could have lived for many, many more years around here of 1st round losses based on this program's history.

"I'm sure glad OP left us so we could go get a real coach." Hmm, still doesn't sound right. He WAS a real coach and Clemson was REAL lucky to have him.

End of rant

OP did do a lot and I give him credit for making us relevant

Dec 9, 2010, 10:18 PM [ in reply to You're wrong, and you don't know Clemson history. ]

again in basketball. But you have to be blind to not discern that in the NCAAs, a middle-of-the-pack Missouri squad played the exact same style we did, but played it better and with more intensity. The infuriating thing about OP's teams is you could tell within 5 minutes of the start of the game which Clemson team was playing: either the world-beaters or the confused hesitators.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well that'll git KNIGHTwipe and Blue Fatty runnin' !***

Dec 9, 2010, 8:25 PM

you're funny.***

Dec 10, 2010, 12:43 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

You are wrong on several counts...

Dec 9, 2010, 8:44 PM

Plenty of people would have helped Bowden pack for Arkansas. TDP should have had the vision to NOT sign such a huge extension and buyout.
Oliver Purnell left Clemson. TDP had NO IDEA what had happened, he did NOT EVEN SPEAK to Purnell before he agreed to the Depaul job.
The playcalling last year was just as bad as this year, we just had Spiller and Ford and Palmer to make up for the mistakes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2010, 9:24 PM

in response to number one

why waste it?

in response to number two

our offense BLEW last season against defenses with half a pulse

what scares me the most is Napier and you guys pimp last years offense

which was extraordinarily average...even with two of the most dynamic offensive players in Clemson history

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger offense was 74th in the nation in YPG in 2009.

Dec 9, 2010, 9:38 PM

That's what they're bragging about.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

key to this post and argument that

Dec 9, 2010, 11:47 PM

has been going on for some time...47 votes, 44 positive...just ignore the dumbas$ vocal minority.

"I shot a werewolf once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor?s dog"

Chuck Norris' calendar goes from March 31st to April 2nd, no one fools Chuck!
MCHammer found out the hard way, Chuck Norris can touch it!

"Brasky's family crest is a picture of a barracuda eating Neil Armstrong."

"My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then she stops to breathe."

Well.... this 'kind of' made sense...

Dec 10, 2010, 12:43 AM

well.... not really...

* Dabo should not have the same leash as another coach that would have come in here. We brought him in thinking we had everything in place to win NOW... all that was missing was the right head coach. A coach like that gets less time to "prove" himself vs a coach that comes in and wants to rebuild and shake up the program as a whole.

* Napier was not... I repeat... was NOT an offensive genius last year. 44th in rushing offense, 86th in Passing Offense, 69th in Total Offense... oh... and we were 11th in the ACC in RedZone scoring. It just so happened that we had incredible special teams return, and 3 EXPERIENCED players that overcame the mediocre playcalling. Remember who had to call the winning play in Miami last year? Jacoby...

* People would have completely fine with Bowden getting the axe instead of staying.... it was long overdue. And it ended up showing that it didn't matter what kind of talent we put on the field, if the coaches can't coach the talent, the talent will only take you so far.

* You say Dabo is inexperienced yet has the tools to be successful. Could you list those tools?

* Napier was not... I repeat... was NOT an offensive genius last year. 44th in rushing offense, 86th in Passing Offense, 69th in Total Offense... oh... and we were 11th in the ACC in RedZone scoring. It just so happened that we had incredible special teams return, and 3 EXPERIENCED players that overcame the mediocre playcalling. Remember who had to call the winning play in Miami last year? Jacoby...

* I don't want blood... I want Clemson to get out of this vicious cycle we've been in since 19-freaking-92.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

Re: Well.... this 'kind of' made sense...

Dec 10, 2010, 10:29 AM

Except for the three superstars last year and our defensive line and backfield, have you considered that just maybe we don't have the talent? Including all QBs. None of us see practice. Even though we had high ranked classes, sometime they just don't pan out. Coaching can only go so far, doesn't make up for poor exicution. And maybe we are playing best we got --just a thought, nothing to back it up...

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic