Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The column from the Tiger on UNC is a big hit in rawley....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

The column from the Tiger on UNC is a big hit in rawley....

Sep 24, 2010, 10:47 AM

http://www.statefansnation.com/

The boys at statefans.com are on fire.....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

My server blocks everything.... care to c&p?***

Sep 24, 2010, 11:06 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: My server blocks everything.... care to c&p?***

Sep 24, 2010, 11:22 AM

Clemson Student Newspaper Weighs in On UNC Scandal

By: Alpha Wolf Sep 24, 2010 2010

UNC Scandal, ACC & Other, Big Four Rivals, Featured
Brett Mills of Clemson’s Tiger News weighed in recently with an opinion piece on the ongoing NCAA investigation inquiry at UNC. Mills makes some excellent, salient points that are well worth reading and your consideration.

While this may come as a huge surprise to our local sports radio contingent, NC State and its fans are not the only ones watching what’s going on over in Chapel Hill with great interest, nor are Wolfpack fans the only ones who are enjoying the manifest hypocrisy of the “Carolina Way”(tm) exposed for exactly what it is: a load of stenching, stinking, slimy rubbish.
Double, Double, Tarheel Trouble
Well done, Mr. Mills, well done indeed:

As a lifelong Clemson fan that was raised on tales from the program’s glory days in the late ‘70s and ‘80s, I absolutely love seeing both the Bulldogs and Gamecocks squirm under NCAA scrutiny. But nothing has satisfied me more than seeing NCAA investigators unearth the plethora of corruption within the UNC football program.
What initially began in late June with the NCAA notifying UNC officials that they were going forward with an investigation of football players receiving improper benefits has quickly morphed into what ESPN’s Joe Schad called an “extensive NCAA inquiry into the North Carolina football program.” It’s centered on the alleged improper benefits given to star defensive tackle Marvin Austin by an agent.

The investigation by both the NCAA and the university itself has since uncovered assistant coach John Blake’s collusion with sports agent Gary Wichard, resulting in the forced resignation of Blake two weeks ago. But most ironically for a university that prides itself on academic superiority, there are reports that nine Tarheel players have engaged in academic fraud by allowing tutors to write papers for them.

The NCAA has yet to hand down a ruling on the situation in Chapel Hill. In fact, the investigation could drag on for months or even years like the one at USC. Regardless of how bad things get for UNC, I urge you to not to waste a shred of sympathy on them. Their penalty will be just comeuppance for their decades of hypocrisy.
For those who are unaware as to why I would make such a harsh statement about the Tarheels, let me just say we Clemson fans have good reason to show the UNC football program the same amount of affection we would a cockroach. I’ll be the first to admit that Clemson was less than honest as a program in that late ‘70s and early ‘80s. Tiger players certainly received more than their share of improper benefits. In a response to rival fans heckling him about Clemson’s probation in 1983, star defensive tackle William “Refrigerator” Perry famously retorted, “Hey, we work hard for our money!”

While Clemson was certainly not alone in its… er… egregious cheating, we were the ones unlucky enough to catch the attention of the NCAA, thanks to some helpful tip-offs from UGA’s Vince Dooley and NC State’s Monte Kiffin. In 1982, the NCAA wasted no time in dropping the hammer on us. All in all, the sanctions spanned two years of scholarship reductions, a two-year bowl ban and a two-year television ban — a stiff punishment, but a just one.

It is at this point in the story that our self-righteous, baby blue friends from Chapel Hill decided to enter the fray. Joining forces with the athletic director from Duke, UNC athletic director John Swofford (yes, the one that is now ACC Commissioner. Don’t even get me started on that…) called a meeting between every ACC athletic director except Clemson’s.

In the meeting, Swofford stated that the sanctions the NCAA handed down to Clemson were not stiff enough and proposed a vote to extend Clemson’s probation from two years to three. All the schools present consented with the exceptions of Maryland and Wake Forest, who were appalled at the idea of further punishing a fellow conference member. The two schools’ representatives left the meeting in disgust when Swofford suggested that the votes remain anonymous.

In other words, when Clemson was enduring its lowest moment as a football program, UNC elected to pile on and kick the dog when it was down. And all the while, they passed themselves off as the morally superior ones. But the current academic scandal and NCAA investigation has now completely shattered that façade.

For a program that only deigned its nose at poor hillbilly Clemson and its renegade football program over the past couple decades, UNC now finds itself in no position to judge others. They have forfeited the right to condescend.
Mills, through recounting the history of the Tigers troubles, brings up an excellent point: where in the world is the ACC Commissioner? Is he mired in a bunker over on Grandover East, slashing away at his golf ball and unaware of what’s going on at his beloved alma mater? Or is he carrying water for UNC, staying quiet and hoping all of this blows over? My guess is that latter, because Swofford is living proof of ‘once a Carolina man, always a Carolina man.’

Either way, Swofford’s strange silence shows a lack of a moral compass from the ACC leadership, and by the utterly naked hypocrisy Mills recounts, it demonstrates once again to the other ten members of the league that there really is one ACC for UNC and Duke, and another ACC – aka “The Ten Dwarves” or “The Useful Idiots” - for the rest. Would Swofford have sit by the sidelines had these problems at UNC instead occurred at Clemson, or at NC State? Your guess is as good as anyone’s, but mine is that he would have plenty to say and quite often at that. After all, that’s exactly what his history demonstrates.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

c&p

Sep 24, 2010, 11:22 AM [ in reply to My server blocks everything.... care to c&p?*** ]

Clemson Student Newspaper Weighs in On UNC Scandal
By: Alpha Wolf Sep 24, 2010
2010 UNC Scandal, ACC & Other, Big Four Rivals, Featured

Brett Mills of Clemson’s Tiger News weighed in recently with an opinion piece on the ongoing NCAA investigation inquiry at UNC. Mills makes some excellent, salient points that are well worth reading and your consideration. While this may come as a huge surprise to our local sports radio contingent, NC State and its fans are not the only ones watching what’s going on over in Chapel Hill with great interest, nor are Wolfpack fans the only ones who are enjoying the manifest hypocrisy of the “Carolina Way”(tm) exposed for exactly what it is: a load of stenching, stinking, slimy rubbish.

Double, Double, Tarheel Trouble

Well done, Mr. Mills, well done indeed:

As a lifelong Clemson fan that was raised on tales from the program’s glory days in the late ‘70s and ‘80s, I absolutely love seeing both the Bulldogs and Gamecocks squirm under NCAA scrutiny. But nothing has satisfied me more than seeing NCAA investigators unearth the plethora of corruption within the UNC football program.

What initially began in late June with the NCAA notifying UNC officials that they were going forward with an investigation of football players receiving improper benefits has quickly morphed into what ESPN’s Joe Schad called an “extensive NCAA inquiry into the North Carolina football program.” It’s centered on the alleged improper benefits given to star defensive tackle Marvin Austin by an agent.

The investigation by both the NCAA and the university itself has since uncovered assistant coach John Blake’s collusion with sports agent Gary Wichard, resulting in the forced resignation of Blake two weeks ago. But most ironically for a university that prides itself on academic superiority, there are reports that nine Tarheel players have engaged in academic fraud by allowing tutors to write papers for them.

The NCAA has yet to hand down a ruling on the situation in Chapel Hill. In fact, the investigation could drag on for months or even years like the one at USC. Regardless of how bad things get for UNC, I urge you to not to waste a shred of sympathy on them. Their penalty will be just comeuppance for their decades of hypocrisy.

For those who are unaware as to why I would make such a harsh statement about the Tarheels, let me just say we Clemson fans have good reason to show the UNC football program the same amount of affection we would a cockroach. I’ll be the first to admit that Clemson was less than honest as a program in that late ‘70s and early ‘80s. Tiger players certainly received more than their share of improper benefits. In a response to rival fans heckling him about Clemson’s probation in 1983, star defensive tackle William “Refrigerator” Perry famously retorted, “Hey, we work hard for our money!”

While Clemson was certainly not alone in its… er… egregious cheating, we were the ones unlucky enough to catch the attention of the NCAA, thanks to some helpful tip-offs from UGA’s Vince Dooley and NC State’s Monte Kiffin. In 1982, the NCAA wasted no time in dropping the hammer on us. All in all, the sanctions spanned two years of scholarship reductions, a two-year bowl ban and a two-year television ban — a stiff punishment, but a just one.

It is at this point in the story that our self-righteous, baby blue friends from Chapel Hill decided to enter the fray. Joining forces with the athletic director from Duke, UNC athletic director John Swofford (yes, the one that is now ACC Commissioner. Don’t even get me started on that…) called a meeting between every ACC athletic director except Clemson’s.

In the meeting, Swofford stated that the sanctions the NCAA handed down to Clemson were not stiff enough and proposed a vote to extend Clemson’s probation from two years to three. All the schools present consented with the exceptions of Maryland and Wake Forest, who were appalled at the idea of further punishing a fellow conference member. The two schools’ representatives left the meeting in disgust when Swofford suggested that the votes remain anonymous.

In other words, when Clemson was enduring its lowest moment as a football program, UNC elected to pile on and kick the dog when it was down. And all the while, they passed themselves off as the morally superior ones. But the current academic scandal and NCAA investigation has now completely shattered that façade.

For a program that only deigned its nose at poor hillbilly Clemson and its renegade football program over the past couple decades, UNC now finds itself in no position to judge others. They have forfeited the right to condescend.
Mills, through recounting the history of the Tigers troubles, brings up an excellent point: where in the world is the ACC Commissioner? Is he mired in a bunker over on Grandover East, slashing away at his golf ball and unaware of what’s going on at his beloved alma mater? Or is he carrying water for UNC, staying quiet and hoping all of this blows over? My guess is that latter, because Swofford is living proof of ‘once a Carolina man, always a Carolina man.’

Either way, Swofford’s strange silence shows a lack of a moral compass from the ACC leadership, and by the utterly naked hypocrisy Mills recounts, it demonstrates once again to the other ten members of the league that there really is one ACC for UNC and Duke, and another ACC – aka “The Ten Dwarves” or “The Useful Idiots” - for the rest. Would Swofford have sit by the sidelines had these problems at UNC instead occurred at Clemson, or at NC State? Your guess is as good as anyone’s, but mine is that he would have plenty to say and quite often at that. After all, that’s exactly what his history demonstrates.

Share This Article:

Clemson Tigers
This post was written by:Alpha Wolf - who has written 192 posts on StateFans Nation.

13 Responses to “Clemson Student Newspaper Weighs in On UNC Scandal”
zwolf Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 7:55 am
It makes some sense for Swofford to stay out of it, as he has some conflict of interest, but he ought to announce that he is recusing himself and tell us who is leading the ACC’s part of the investigations.

TOBtime Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 8:02 am
Awesome article. i had no idea just how dirty unx was to Clemson. Although the punishment was deserved, it sure is strange that the unx AD thought his judgement was above that of the NCAA. Could that have possibly been related to Clemson being in the way of unx football rising to prominence in the late 70′s -early 80′s? I believe during that time Clemson won a NC while unx was embarrassed every time they got on TV to play a nationally ranked opponet.
I have noticed on other boards (mostly national) that anything related to unx “getting theirs” is greeted with glee. There truly is a national dislike for unx that I did not know existed until all this started. Sure, there is the clown with his unx hat on #### that doesn’t even know why he bought it. But, what I’m seeing/hearing is alot of hatred coming out from sources that you never would expect it to come from. Let it flow!
The seeds you plant come up holes.

Tiew Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 8:51 am
Very interesting piece. Thanks for posting it.

Scooter Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 9:04 am
Excellent point about Swofford. Where is he? Retired state representatives have made more public statements about this than he has. Apparently part of the Carolina Way involves leadership turning a blind eye to this sort of behavior from Chapel Hill.

At this point, there is no way that “lack of institutional control” fits. This investigation has moved the goal posts well beyond that point. While we don’t know what all of the facts are, it is only going to get worse the longer the NCAA stays on campus.

Sam92 Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 9:16 am
it’s a great piece and right on

now if there was only something we could do about the intense desire of all the UNC alums at the top of the university system doing everything they can to sweep this under the carpet

Scooter Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 9:22 am
Butch Davis said yesterday “The Athletic Department has no role in the academic support system.” Brilliant. Just brilliant. How could UNC have a lack of oversight, let me count the ways…

Alpha Wolf Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 9:33 am
^ He is determined to tighten up the noose around his neck every time he opens his lisping mouth.

highstick Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 10:12 am
Now that is really funny..a writer from the most corrupt school in the ACC in football, and I might add, continues to be! Let Clempson come clean with their ongoing issues of covering up everything that happens in that little hick town!

While I’m glad everyone gets to gloat at the UNC problems, no one from Clempson should cast stones in any direction!

Clempson(and I refuse to ever spell it without a “P” unless it’s spelled Clemmons or Clem’s Son) has been modeling themselves after UNC over the past decade or so. Arrogant, politically correct, and they keep their disciplinary problems hidden from the public thanks to a lack of media coverage and a small town university controlled police department. You can beat up your girlfriend, throw her down the stairs, and the charges go away. You get caught for drugs, and the charges go away. Your drunk coach can run over someone on the lake with a jet ski and the charges go away.

They aren’ just watching at Clempson, they are taking lessons!

Sweet jumper Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 10:20 am
I remember the ‘Fridge on the Bob Hope Show. The all-american football team came out and they all introduced themselves by name and school. He said, “…Clemmon U”!

highstick Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 10:31 am
Don’t get me wrong…I loved the Fridge when he played for Da Bears!

Alpha Wolf Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 10:37 am
To be fair to Clemson, we should keep in mind that they were cleared of Agent-Gate pretty quickly by the NCAA and don’t seem to be mentioned at all in the current thrust of the multi-school ongoing probe.

highstick Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 10:49 am
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20100922/NEWS/100929864/1088

Yea, let’s be real fair to the two-faced Clempson school!!

Alpha Wolf Says:
September 24th, 2010 at 10:57 am
^ Tell me, how does Clemson reporting recruiting misdeeds at UT indicate something wrong in Death Valley?

You seem to be tossing a lot of accusations of cheating, etc. going on down there, with nothing to prove your point. All that’s come to light at Clemson in the recent past are secondary violations (that pretty much everyone has) or accusations that don’t seem to hold water for long. They’ve made a real effort since Danny Ford and other coaches to clean up and it seems to have worked.

What you are saying is not different than a Wake fan accusing NC State’s hoops of cheating based upon the V Scandal of the late 1980′s, and we all know here what real violations were turned up by the NCAA.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To that POS "highstick" with his anti-Clemson post---

Sep 24, 2010, 11:19 AM

I love correcting NCSt fans when they start chirping about Clemson's NCAA probations..........actually, ITS NCSTATE WHO'S BEEN PENALIZED BY THE NCAA MORE TIMES THAN ANYONE IN THE ACC. Clemson is currently tied with FlaSt for 2nd, but I'm guessing it won't be long before the Semiholes move into a tie with the cheatin' wolfpack.

Geez, he sounds just like a lying coot and may well be one....he certainly spouts their party line......and btw, cooties who are reading this:Soon, gamecockland will have been placed on NCAA probation more times than Clemson, and when that happens, you may expect large piles of ....uh,.....derision to be shovelled by me on your doorstep---you bunch of hypocritical jerks.

It is most likely a coot***

Sep 24, 2010, 11:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Has to be. If it looks like a coot, smells like a coot, and

Sep 24, 2010, 11:54 AM

posts like a coot .....its a coot

He's a State grad in Florence, with a So. Carolina grad son.

Sep 24, 2010, 2:20 PM [ in reply to To that POS "highstick" with his anti-Clemson post--- ]

One of his more popular diatribes is about how Clemson controls the media in the state of South Carolina.

That's really all you need to know.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Finally someone wrote the piece I have been wanting to see!

Sep 24, 2010, 11:24 AM

Good Job Mr. Mills!

hopefully someone at the N&O will carry the torch to pile on UNC once this is done. It would be just.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Finally someone wrote the piece I have been wanting to see!

Sep 24, 2010, 11:35 AM

this needs to go to swoffie now!!!! that sorry POS needs to be replaced now!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

direct link to article

Sep 24, 2010, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Finally someone wrote the piece I have been wanting to see! ]

http://www.thetigernews.com/news.php?aid=6459&sid=3

was in last Friday's issue of The Tiger.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson should have told the ACC to blow in 1982.***

Sep 24, 2010, 11:26 AM

Comment from Statefans Nation About The Ant-CU commenter

Sep 24, 2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks for reading our article that highlights Brett Mills awesome column. I wrote the commentary that wraps what Mills said, and I agree with his viewpoint completely. My take hopefully added a bit to it.

I understand that you folks have taken some umbrage to what our reader Highstick has said about Clemson, and I wanted to stop by and take a moment to comment on that.

First of all, I don't blame Tigers fans for not at all liking what he said. I thought his comments were unfounded and unsupported, and I actually edited out some of the worst of his accusations because the facts surrounding what he said happened do not support his position in any way. I will not go into details about the exact nature of it, except to say that it was uncalled for, untrue and not deserving of remaining in our comment section, so it was removed.

As for his accusations that Clemson cheats or is a rogue school, I personally think that's just BS. In fact, I wrote the following comment in reply to him, and it is what I honestly believe:

You seem to be tossing a lot of accusations of cheating, etc. going on down there, with nothing to prove your point. All that’s come to light at Clemson in the recent past are minor secondary violations (that pretty much everyone has) or accusations from their main rivals at South Carolina that don’t seem to hold water for long. They’ve made a real effort since Danny Ford and other coaches to clean up and it seems to have worked.

What you are saying is not different than a Wake fan accusing NC State’s hoops of cheating based upon the V Scandal of the late 1980′s, and we all know here what real violations were turned up by the NCAA. We also all know that has nothing to do with 2010.

Truth is, I have often been a guest at Death Valley through the decades, and I can only say one thing about Clemson and its fans: they have always treated me well.

That is true for not only my hosts, but also the fans at the tailgates and inside the stadium, win or lose. Yes, you folks have been madder than a Tigers whose tails have been pulled when you lose to NC State, but no one ever took it out on me, my wife or my friends. That's all a visitor has a right to ask for, I suppose.

Most NC State fans have a great deal of respect and enjoy having Tiger fans inside Carter-Finley every other year. Clemson and its fans are great to tailgate and watch football with, and as a fellow Land Grant school we have more in common than we have differences. We can only ask that you ignore the fools, unfortunately the Good Lord has seen fit to put them everywhere, NC State included.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and directly address your board about our one commenter that's out of line.

See you all later this year. We've improved a bit on defense this season, so hopefully it will be a barnburner of a game.

Cheers,
Alpha Wolf
statefansnation.com

I wanted to point you till....

Sep 24, 2010, 12:03 PM

...you got to the barnburner part. Nice post though. Esp nice to come in here and do that explanation

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks for the kind comments***

Sep 24, 2010, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Comment from Statefans Nation About The Ant-CU commenter ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That just made me start humming cumbaya. Point.***

Sep 24, 2010, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Comment from Statefans Nation About The Ant-CU commenter ]

FWIW, We Deleted the Whole Anti-Clemson Tirade

Sep 24, 2010, 2:29 PM

We decided at SFN that there was no need to allow that whole discussion to remain in our comment threads because it was little more than an ad hominem attack that was completely out of place, so it got the delete key.

Reasons why are simple:

1) no point to it
2) it detracts attention away from Brett Mills column
3) it doesn't reflect what most NCSU fans think or believe anyway.

Anyhow, that should be that, and hope that one poster doesn't reflect on our board too badly.

--Alpha

The big difference between us and UNC is that when

Sep 24, 2010, 2:44 PM

we cheated, we did a ### sight better than the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Yay for the girl who wrote this!

Sep 24, 2010, 2:12 PM

I know the girl who wrote this. She's awesome! Good for her getting some press!

State Fan=Coot

Sep 24, 2010, 2:22 PM

There are one in the same.

Re: State Fan=Coot

Sep 24, 2010, 2:30 PM

Uhhh, no, we're not.

SoCar and UNC have more in common fanwise.

Now that I live in NC, I'm starting to believe that.***

Sep 24, 2010, 2:32 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have lived in Raleigh for about 10

Sep 24, 2010, 2:41 PM

years now and the correlation is the same.

I feel the same about NC State as I do USuCk.

Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

Hmm....you obviously have become oblivious to the UNC

Sep 25, 2010, 12:28 AM

My sister is a UNC grad and fan....she is an absolutely horrible loser and even worse winner.

God Bless her I love her, but I hate being around her when UNC plays...anyone.

do the articles in The Tiger still suck?

Sep 24, 2010, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Yay for the girl who wrote this! ]

I always remember them being fairly poorly written, and with the same "cumbaya" mindset the Administration was trying to push. Oh yeah, and that sex column? My gosh!

But that particular article was pretty good...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The April 1st editions were always good.***

Sep 24, 2010, 2:29 PM

they have their whole issue online...

Sep 24, 2010, 2:42 PM

One of the article says Kenny McKinley was the Gamecocks' "all-time leading rusher." Lulz.

Fire Swofford!! Fire Swofford!! Fire Swofford!!***

Sep 25, 2010, 12:33 AM

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic