Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The talk about blowing leads
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

The talk about blowing leads

Feb 26, 2010, 10:18 AM

while there might be something there (see Illinois, Villinova, Maryland) where is the talk of our comebacks?

Down 12 to Butler - came back and won
Down 17 to Texas A&M - brought it within 3 with 5 minutes left
Down 11 @ USC last year - turned that into a big win
Down 12 @ Miami last year - turned that around into a big forst ACC win
Down 8 at half @ Illinois - came back for an important OOC win
Down 20 @ Maryland - Oglesby hits game winning 3 after Cliff Hammonds broke his wrist with a ridiculous block
Down 14 to Wake last year with less than 10 min left - brought it within 2 in 5 minutes.

Those were just ones off the top of my head.
I know we did not win some of these, but the point is that basketball is a game of runs. We knew Maryland was going to keep making runs to keep it close. We are by no means the only team that this happens to since that is how the game is.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post... I think we are recognized as a very dangerous

Feb 26, 2010, 10:24 AM

and very good basketball team around the rest of the ACC and country.]

I don't think anyone wants to draw us in the tournament... especially if we are a lower seed.

The talk of "blown leads" only comes from some on here.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Great post... I think we are recognized as a very dangerous

Feb 26, 2010, 3:49 PM

our record in NCAA's really scares other teams. around the country we are known as undefeated before january and usually not heard from again.

That's a good point BUT...

Feb 26, 2010, 10:31 AM

I think this just goes to show the inconsistency we display as a team. Down big, up big, we almost always find a way to make it close.

But, if you're going to count games where we had big deficits and came back to make it close, you have to count the games where we had big leads only to win in a nail-biter.

I think you'll find the blown big leads are greater in number than the big deficits erased.

null

No, the point is that this happens to virtually all teams.

Feb 26, 2010, 10:34 AM

It's not that we are any more inconsistent than other teams. It's the nature of the game of basketball.

That's not to say that it's okay to lose leads, because it's not. We need to figure out a way to protect leads to continue to progress as a program. But when we do, it will mean we are an exceptional team (e.g., top 5 in the country).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

exactly***

Feb 26, 2010, 10:37 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Name one other team that has blown these leads...

Feb 26, 2010, 11:03 AM [ in reply to No, the point is that this happens to virtually all teams. ]

23 in the second half at home (Illinois this year).

18 in the second half at home (FSU last year I believe).

I can't name one team in the country that has blown two leads that big in the past couple of years. Aadd on the Nova debacle in the tourney a few years ago and the UVA 16 point lead that we blew in the LAST 6:30 OF THE GAME AT HOME a few years ago.

You're telling me there are other teams in the country that have blown this many big leads in the last 3 or 4 years? Prove it. I think you're wrong.

null

The national championship game in 2008

Feb 26, 2010, 11:34 AM

was a blown lead game. Memphis blew a 9 point lead wth 2 minutes to play. Teams blow leads all the time---even great teams...

So many things have to go right to lead by nine in a national championship game with a little more than two minutes left.

If, like Memphis, you're not a member of a "major" conference, you have to first build the program. Recruit a coach, then he recruits the recruits. He then has to find a way to keep his players focused throughout a conference season that doesn't challenge them. Next, if you're lucky, you'll taste some tournament success, build on consecutive trips to the Elite Eight, get one additional spectacular recruit, secure that one-seed, survive a strangely tough second-round game, and blow away three highly-ranked opponents. Only then will you find yourself here: up by nine with 2:12 left.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

That's one game... name others for Memphis?

Feb 26, 2010, 12:56 PM

Exactly... Clemson is a repeat-offender on this list. Memphis was a one-time thing.

null

Re: That's one game... name others for Memphis?

Feb 26, 2010, 2:21 PM

stop it ######... facts are not allowed here..

Here are a few more.........

Feb 26, 2010, 2:27 PM [ in reply to That's one game... name others for Memphis? ]

There are countless examples of blown games...Md for example has 3 rather famous ones....one in a final 4 where Duke came from 22 down to beat the terps in half 2 or the infamous 11 point lead blown with less than a minute to go in College Park also to the devils to say nothing of the 20 point lead they blew to Clmson when T O made the

you unfortunately are showing quite a good bit of ignorance about the game and would likely be doing yourself a favor by not pursuing this point any further.

Orange Googlers Unite

That makes it sound like we are the only team on the court!***

Feb 26, 2010, 2:56 PM [ in reply to That's a good point BUT... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Per the media guide:

Feb 26, 2010, 10:44 AM

In the past 4 seasons Clemson has overcome 14 first half deficits...8 vs ACC teams and 3 vs BCS confernces.

Orange Googlers Unite

that can be misleading

Feb 26, 2010, 10:47 AM

We could go down 2-0 and then lead the rest of the game and that game would fit into that category.

Ex. When we played Temple in football in Charlotte they returned the opening kickoff to the like the 10 yard line and kicked a fg to go up 3-0. Of course we blew them out but technically that was a come from behind win.

A first half deficit means you have played 20 minutes..

Feb 26, 2010, 10:55 AM

dont think a 2-0 halftime score is possible in the shot clock era.

Orange Googlers Unite

my bad. misinterpreted your post.***

Feb 26, 2010, 11:05 AM

So, to "mrmatt" and the like....

Feb 26, 2010, 12:36 PM

Does this data mean we "routinely" come back from being down?

My point remains, basketball is exactly like this. Teams lose leads and teams come back. We are not unlike the other 346 teams in D-1.

Oh yeah, and it IS a character flaw to incessantly whine, complain, and consistently focus on negatives.

You count almost wins like a COOT***

Feb 26, 2010, 12:49 PM

Where did I say they were almost wins or moral victories?

Feb 26, 2010, 1:52 PM

I am just pointing out big swings of points that were in our favor unlike those who just want to look at the leads we gave up. I realized I left another one off:

last year @ VT - came back from 15 down in the 2nd half for a win

But that's the problem with our team.....

Feb 26, 2010, 5:27 PM

the last 5 years.....you never know what team is coming out. We have the occasional game like we had against VA the other day where we play well throughout the game, but most games it is either:

1) Come out strong....build big lead....then they disappear and either barely win or lose, or

2) Come out weak....get behind big....then make a tremendous charge and either barely pull it out or fall short.

Options 1 and 2 are the usual story, especially in ACC play. The Tigers under OP have been consistently inconsistent....which Tiger team comes out of the locker room? Who would ever consider betting on this team?

GO TIGERS (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr).

Hey dude.. we lost to illinois***

Feb 26, 2010, 7:18 PM

Dude, 2008.***

Feb 26, 2010, 7:29 PM

who is "leads" ?***

Feb 26, 2010, 7:57 PM

^^^That's dirty^^^ Point***