Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Quick Glance Back - Good times from Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,318

A Quick Glance Back - Good times from Clemson

Jul 20, 2009, 9:29 PM

You ever wake up and shout for joy that somehow you became a Clemson fan instead of the alternative for many people here in our great state of South Carolina?

I understand that fans are fans and no matter the circumstances, they will be fans of their school. However, I just feel that its so much nicer to be a Clemson fan. I just graduated from Clemson and was thinking back on how special of a place it is. The countryside is beautiful at the foothills of the Blue Ridge. The people are simple and like family. The atmosphere on football Saturdays are second to none. I've been fortunate enough to go to every home football game since 1993 when I was 6 years old. Some of my greatest memories are tailgating with my family and friends, throwing the football in Lot 2, punting the ball and knocking a bucket of chicken off the neighboring tailgate with the 70 yr old gentleman staring at me and his wife telling me that it's OK. Those years in the mid-late 90's were great for tailgating because nobody showed up - especially in '98. There was room in Lot 2 for us to play entire football games.

I remember helping carry Tommy West (and his wife) off the field after beating Carolina in 1998. I was 11 and thought I was going to die in the middle of the crowd. I remember after that game, he asked Jim Phillips if he could say something that really "pisses him off" and Jim saying, "I think you can say whatever you want Tommy" or something along those lines. I'll never forget a conversation that my dad and I had with Rodney Williams dad after that game saying that Danny Ford was coming back. Unfortunately, (at least for me) the higher ups at the university wouldn't have it. I was fortunate enough to sit beside Danny at Mack's during my senior year at Clemson. What a personality he is, especially getting Esther going.

I'll never forget the first Bowden Bowl where someone had weighted a Dillards bag perfectly and tied balloons to it so that it would float over the field. (This was in honor of Peter Warrick, who I believe ended up playing in the 2nd half) I've never forgiven Tommy for not going for it on 4th and 1 when we haven't made a 40 yd field goal that whole year... maybe a stretch, but you don't risk that playing the number 1 team in the nation when you've got nothing to lose. Here you go Dad... here's your perfect season that you've always wanted.

Who can forget the catch number 2, the win against FSU in 2003, 63-17, the almost greatest game in history with Miami in 2005, GT Gameday in 2006, taking out Reggie Merriweather against Carolina, 1st and 35, 3rd and 18 (or so), FSU on labor day, and many more.

Now enters the Dabo Swinney era and I can't control my excitement. I remember sitting in class when I saw the CJ press conference, and now he's a senior. I remember sitting in class reading TigerIllustrated when Tommy was fired and Dabo was hired. (bad trend- i know) CJ is a senior, I'm ready to watch the most talented player in my era step on the field. I'm ready to see Dabo rub, hug, or kiss the rock - I could care less - and lead his team down the hill. When Dabo had his first press conference, I thought to myself, I'm ready to go play for this guy right now. He's got the ability to make you want to go out on the field and lay it on the line. I'm not sure Tommy could instill that extra confidence into players that has to be there to win championships.

All that being said, I am thankful to be a Clemson Tiger. It's just different here. I've been to a few "Big Football Schools" including Tennessee, UGA, Texas A&M, and Clemson. Those schools are fine, and Texas A&M comes mighty close, but Clemson gameday Saturdays are hard to beat. I feel bad for our neighbors to the South that they have to experience that carnival/pro football- like atmosphere every week. I can't wait to get back up to the Valley for the MTSU game. I can't wait to see CJ, Jacoby, Willy, Kyle, Daquan, Sapp, Diehl, Maye, Conner, PT, Renderick, J Harper, Ellington, and on and on. Let's win a dadgum Championship.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Preach it Brotha....enjoyed the post******

Jul 20, 2009, 9:58 PM

Nice Post, I graduated 18 years ago and it seems like

Jul 20, 2009, 10:14 PM

it was last week. I grew up going to games as a kid in the 70's and 80's and still remember Death Valley, Pre- upper decks "There is something in those hills."

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't have said it better!!! Good job....Go tigers!!!***

Jul 20, 2009, 10:49 PM

well put***

Jul 20, 2009, 10:18 PM

Best post I've seen all DT season.***

Jul 20, 2009, 10:31 PM

Re: A Quick Glance Back - Good times from Clemson

Jul 20, 2009, 10:44 PM

There is something in these hills.....

Hard to explain but easy to feel.

What about the UGA rivalry?...

Jul 20, 2009, 10:49 PM

Some of you guys on here I'm sure were present during some of Clemson's old wars with UGA back when the 2 schools played every year.

How do you guys feel about not playing them much anymore?

I'm a native of Georgia and a Tech guy. So, Tech/UGA ("Clean Old Fashioned Hate") is in my blood. My wife went to Clemson. She hates UGA more than any other school. She's never had a problem with Tech or even South Carolina. Only hates UGA (and FSU, I guess). She grew up in Metro Atlanta, even though her family has deep ties to the Upstate and Clemson University.

I remember when the UGa/Clemson game was second to none in terms of intensity and close games. In a sense, it's kind of sad that you rarely play now.

I hope that as Tech/Clemson build more history in the conference, more and more of you guys will see what a great rivalry it has become.

Re: What about the UGA rivalry?...should play every year in

Jul 20, 2009, 11:05 PM

...every sport. We're not rteally competitive w them in fb anymore and that bothers me but we should still play. I blame the lame AD's at both schools for the fact we don't. It is wrong

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2009, 11:19 PM

Things go in cycles.

From 1977 through 1990, Clemson gave UGA all they could handle and then some. Both schools were powerful during that era.

After the 1986, 1987 and 1990 games, it seemed to me that Clemson had essentially surpassed UGA in football. I remember the 1990 game being a complete blowout. The next year, UGA won big in Athens, and everything changed in that rivalry. It's just the nature of things with the swing of the pendelum.

Jul 20, 2009, 11:25 PM

When we became willing to do the things they were doing to get and to keep the top players, we became competitive with them. Not saying right or wrong, but it does make a difference in competitiveness.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What about the UGA rivalry?...

Jul 21, 2009, 1:58 AM [ in reply to What about the UGA rivalry?... ]

Nice post from a Tech guy. Yeah, the UGA rivalry was awesome in the 80's. Some of our best victories in the past 30 years are from that rivalry. I would absolutely love to play those guys every year. There's no doubt that they're on a slightly higher level than us right now - and we embarrassed ourselves the last time we played. Still, I admit that the fact the ##### play them every year is the ONLY thing about the ##### I'm jealous about.

Guffman

Re: What about the UGA rivalry?...

Jul 21, 2009, 6:50 AM [ in reply to What about the UGA rivalry?... ]

Personally, I think the GT/Clemson rivalry is the biggest in-conference rivalry Clemson has and it gives me a pit in my stomach every time we play--the unpredictability of the series makes it one of the most fascinating games of the year, every year. FSU/Clemson comes close, but the ACC team I best "love to hate" is Tech.

As for Clemson/UGA, I would *love* to play them every year again. I think every Clemson fan alive would like to see that. I think we're all simply waiting for UGA to step up and say they're ready to take it on.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,318
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic