Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One old guy's take on the Athletic Department
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

One old guy's take on the Athletic Department

Jun 17, 2009, 3:10 PM

We do not need a family oriented Athletic Department, operated as a Mom and Pop shop for the benefit of the locals and oldtimers just because they can slap backs,picnic,pal around and talk about life 20 years ago. I do not want the old Clemson Athletic Department that had one published set of rules for most of us and a private set of accomodations for the glad-handers who hung around a lot.

I would prefer an Athletic Department that is hungry and wants to win and earn a national reputation in every sport. I want an Athletic Department that works tirelessly to promote the success of our athletic programs and to assure our fan base, all of it, enjoys the best possible experience in college athletics.

Since I prefer for Clemson to have a professional athletic department rather than take a local, small town approach to a big business, the constant appeals to go back to the old days leave me mostly cold. We had about 13 great athletic years in my lifetime and they were due almost entirely to the hard work of Coach Ford. Our great years were not due to the family atmosphere of our Athletic Department. Our Athletic Department in those great years mostly let us down in how they managed the parts of the job that Coach Ford might not have been great at doing for himself.

I am no great fan of Terry Don Philips or Bill D'Andrea. Neither have been responsible for the sort of successful athletic deparment peformance I want for Clemson.

I have no opinion really on soccer or Adair other than to say we are not as good now as we were when another great coach, Coach Ibrahim was in charge of soccer. I do not know if Coach Adair was done wrong or not.

What I do know is that appeals to go back to yesteryear are most often ill advised.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BRING BACK THE GOLD STANDARD !!!!

Jun 17, 2009, 3:12 PM

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SMART PEOPLE EVOLVE . . . not the other way around

Jun 17, 2009, 3:23 PM

Thank you for an enlightening post . . . it's nice to know some people "get it"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One old guy's take on the Athletic Department

Jun 17, 2009, 3:26 PM

well said

i agree***

Jun 17, 2009, 3:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which brings up another question. Do we currently have

Jun 17, 2009, 3:39 PM

a "professional athletic department that works tirelessly to promote the success of our athletic programs"? I believe many would say no.

Re: YES Sir! As long as the BOT interferes ...

Jun 17, 2009, 3:40 PM

IN the Running of Clemson Athletics, (as does Auburn, and a lot of other OLE buddy Southern Universities) There will be NO National Championships....

NONE, NADA....

HIRE a Professional AD and LET him RUN his department without INTERFERENCE..

"Dr" Terry Don Phillips.... Is interfered with constantly by the BOT... you know it, I know it. So what is done is not done by him Alone... He has NO power... His Football "hire" was done at the Bequest of the (Order be it as it may be) of the BOT ... Clemson now pays its Coach of its MOST money making sport... The VERY LEAST of any major school in the country.

AT the ORDER of the BOT..... WE all know it . But.. When are WE gonna as the Legislature to do something about this ?????
THAT is the QUESTION???

Good post, Harley. Thanks. ******

Jun 17, 2009, 3:43 PM

null

Obama sez thanks.;)***

Jun 17, 2009, 4:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

amen. stick that in yer pipe and smoke it mickey plyer!***

Jun 17, 2009, 4:20 PM

Excellent post! One of the best I've ever read on TigerNet.

Jun 17, 2009, 5:39 PM

It's small time and hokey to want all of the coaches to go on picnics together, have their wives gossip on the phone while their hubbies "coach those boys," etc. Should we also reinstate the soda fountain and bring back segregation while we're at it?!?

I don't understand why so many Clemson fans (or at least many people on TigerNet) seem to long for the "good 'ol days." Is it fear of change? Are they scared of success? I see it repeatedly alluded to in regard to both athletics and academics. Maybe some found comfort in feeling that Clemson was a simple place that was accessible for all. I for one like the fact that we keep improving as a university on all fronts - leaving behind those who can't keep up in the process. Clemson deserves the best.

Thanks again for your post. It was spot on!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jun 17, 2009, 6:28 PM

Yes lets take the family out of the athletic department...It has worked out for the rest of the world that way..Oh wait.

Re: Another old guy's take on the Athletic Department

Jun 17, 2009, 6:36 PM

I am not sure anyone would want anything other than a professionally run and operated Ath Dept; one that works diligently and effectively for all sports, alums and fans at all times. However, I missed the class where being supportive and engaged with your employees is somehow less professional than simply not caring about those you employ. There are times when changes should be made, people/coaches/staff fail to perform and should be held accountable to the AD - is anyone suggesting otherwise??? Given the option to work for an employer who sees people as part of a work family or an employer who could care less about human beings but is a Big Business Operation, I for one will take the former.
You can have the sterile, cold, impersonal Big Corporation style all the way to the next Ice Age. People matter, or they should to this old guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2009, 6:48 AM

Ironic......the years cited here as our best are the years Plyler wants to go back to.

I dont know that you can run a 1980s era AD 20-30 years later but Harley and Mickey each in their own way are wishing it could be the 80s again.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

I was not trying for the 80s.

Jun 18, 2009, 7:05 AM

I thought we had a lot of weakness in the Athletic Department in the 70s and 80s. Coach Ford seemed to have pretty bad bosses back then who would not or could not help him on the points where he needed help. Relationships between the town and the athletes and the academics and athletes were not what they should have been. A really solid athletic department or Director would have helped a lot.

I sometimes think we have had more of the same in recent years. The clash over academics and recruiting a few year back was all ground the AD should have plowed ahead of time, in my opinion. The loss of parking spaces for the football crowd seems to be a case where the AD is unable to do much other than complain about what the school is doing to him.

I'd like to see better relationships between the academic and athletic side, better PR, more conference and national leadership and, of course, more wins.

The only thing I am missing from the 80s is more wins.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic