Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Skip Holtz = classier than Tommy Bowden EVER was
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Skip Holtz = classier than Tommy Bowden EVER was

Dec 17, 2008, 7:40 AM

Were this that shyster Tommy Bowden, he would be weasling his way for yet another undeserved raise. Skip Holtz shows loyalty and class in the way that he carries himself - TB should take some notes about it as he cruises around in his chartered fishing boat off the 'keys at our expense.

----
http://www.newsobserver.com/745/story/1335523.html

East Carolina did not need more money to persuade Skip Holtz to remain its football coach.Athletics director Terry Holland said Monday that Holtz -- who was recently courted by Syracuse -- did not ask to change his contract again or for ECU to make a counter offer.

East Carolina already had rewarded Holtz in September with a revised contract that could pay him $9.4 million with bonuses through 2013.

Honored Monday as Conference USA Coach of the Year by The Sporting News Magazine, Holtz announced Friday that he had turned down the Syracuse job.

"We are happy for him to stay here,'' Holland said. "He made this decision.
"We certainly think it is the right one."

The fourth-year Pirates coach guided an injury-riddled team to the Conference USA East Division title, the league championship and a berth in the Jan. 2 Liberty Bowl (5 p.m., ESPN) against Kentucky at Memphis, Tenn.

A bowl victory would give ECU 10 wins for the first time since 1991, when coach Bill Lewis led the Pirates to an 11-1 record capped with a Peach Bowl triumph over N.C. State.

Holtz is giving his players a 10-day Christmas break before resuming pre-bowl practice Dec. 26, two days before they fly to Memphis.There will be no such break for Holtz -- who has led the Pirates to three straight winning seasons and three consecutive bowls -- and his staff, however. They are out recruiting this week.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WTH do YOU know about CLASS? Question CTB all you want ...

Dec 17, 2008, 7:43 AM

as a coach, but there aren't many classier guys on the face of the earth.

~

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL your savior was more interesting in his bank account

Dec 17, 2008, 7:45 AM

than Clemson winning. THAT is his legacy!

the word is "interested"...COOT!!!***

Dec 17, 2008, 7:54 AM

LoL...you're a moron. THAT is your legacy!***

Dec 17, 2008, 7:57 AM [ in reply to LOL your savior was more interesting in his bank account ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: LoL...you're a moron. THAT is your legacy!***

Dec 17, 2008, 8:34 AM

you need to update your sig.***

Dec 17, 2008, 8:35 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Signed ...

Dec 17, 2008, 7:58 AM [ in reply to LOL your savior was more interesting in his bank account ]

All the Clemson fans he wrote, called, visited in the hospital.

All the people with whom he shared his faith.

All the football players and others he set an example about priorities for.

James Davis.

Dabo Swinney.

Etc., etc., etc., etc, etc.

Again, Bowden didn't get it done as a coach.

Bowden MORE THAN GETS it done as a person.

~

Bowden did well as a HC..

Dec 17, 2008, 8:03 AM

Ran a clean program.
Graduated responsible kids.
Upgraded facilities.
Recruited well.
And got us to a 60ish % team.
could not win a championship
sucked in bowls

Hopefully Dabo will continue the other things and get us to at least 80%, some ACC championships, and some BCS wins.

Boom! Mac, your fort is officially engulfed in flames...

Dec 17, 2008, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Signed ... ]

...no sense in trying to defend it now. Just escape with your life.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed.***

Dec 17, 2008, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Signed ... ]

SCRAM....Idiot*******

Dec 17, 2008, 8:07 AM [ in reply to LOL your savior was more interesting in his bank account ]

Re: WTH do YOU know about CLASS? Question CTB all you want ...

Dec 17, 2008, 8:51 AM [ in reply to WTH do YOU know about CLASS? Question CTB all you want ... ]

Bowden may have been a class act but he sure was paid handsomely for it. I think he held Clemson hostage in 2006 with the Arky job. I wish TDP has sent his classy butt packing to Arky.

The one thing Tommy Bowden was that nobody can dispute is a terrible on field coach. he was just awful! poor game management and personnel decisions higghlighted his tenure while at Clemson.

I am glad he and the Mad one are done and hope they never set foot in Clemson again!

This is a joke................

Dec 17, 2008, 9:18 AM [ in reply to WTH do YOU know about CLASS? Question CTB all you want ... ]

The last person I feel sorry for is TB. He had a decade to get it done and failed to do so, period. Thats a lot of time to try and make it work. Not to mention he got paid quite well in the process.

And during these hard economic times where some of us are having trouble feeding our families, he walked away from failure with millions. So no, I dont feel sorry for him in the least. Not one tiny bit.

And whats even worse, some of you people think he left for the good of the program, that he just quit. NOT! You dont quit your job and get a few million while doing so. No way! He was let go or was gonna be, thats why he got the money too. Dont be a fool and think other wise. And he was let go because it was high time. He continually got the least from his players.

I'm not a coach but I'd bet my ### I could find a lot of coaches better than TB. Mayeb he was a nice guy. So what. It's easy to be a great guy with a few million to calm things down. Try doing that while under the pressure to feed your family. Football isnt pressure compared to that. What Tommy got was a 10 yr paid vacation compared to most of our lives. So get real. I'm glad he's gone.

gotta agree. TB would have been ALL over some more $$$

Dec 17, 2008, 7:52 AM

whether that determines "class" or not, i'm not sure.

but it certainly gives a window into someone's priorities....

i'm sure you decline pay raises.***

Dec 17, 2008, 7:58 AM

not if i have a contract.***

Dec 17, 2008, 8:24 AM

i'm low man on the totem pole, but i read

Dec 17, 2008, 8:33 AM

our high execs renegotiate their contracts all the time. They all have incentives, clauses, buyouts, and what nots.

BUT... i don't deny you would be different. Me, I dunno what I would do. Likely, I would renegotiate for more money whenever I could.

If he had been offered Auburn, he would be

Dec 17, 2008, 8:03 AM

gone as fast as CJ in the open.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed!***

Dec 17, 2008, 8:40 AM

Tiger/Terrier

you are missing a key thing

Dec 17, 2008, 8:04 AM

Holtz had just revised/extended his contract in September. TB contract was due to be renegotiated and hadnt yet, which is why it was such a big deal to him. Had TB not extended his deal it would have fell under the 4 yr mark which is a benchmark so that recruits know you are under contract atleast the full time they are there.

The Key Phrase:

Dec 17, 2008, 8:05 AM

East Carolina already had rewarded Holtz in September with a revised contract that could pay him $9.4 million with bonuses through 2013.

In other words we did not have to raise his salary because he has already weaseled us out of 9.4 million.

Here is something about Bowden in the Charleston paper

Dec 17, 2008, 8:08 AM

Just Sayin'

Now it's OK to like Bowden
By Gene Sapakoff (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Rare is the banished college head football coach succeeded by an assistant he nurtured after hand-plucking the guy out of that oblivion known as the "real world."

Dabo Swinney might be just the ticket for Clemson, or he might not work out. But three things are certain about the program he inherits:

--Tommy Bowden left without the NCAA investigation baggage carried off by Charley Pell and Danny Ford, and he lasted longer than Tommy West and Ken Hatfield combined.

--The cupboard isn't bare, as fans bitterly asserted when West took over for Hatfield following the 1993 season.

--The Death Valley stands in 2008 did not have vast chunks of empty seats, as they did in 1998, West's final season as head coach.

This was a tumultuous season in which Swinney gets credit for the save. The season continues with Swinney running spirited pre-Gator Bowl practices as Bowden sighs while telling friends he prefers not to coach again, at least not soon. If it ends on New Year's Day in Florida, the glass is way more than half full.

Same with the Bowden legacy.

Fan numbers

In fact, if Clemson football recruiting takes a dip in the next few months, it will be because Bowden is gone and his recruiting skills are almost impossible to replace in the short run. Mike Farrell, a national recruiting analyst for rivals.com told Post and Courier reporter Andrew Miller, Bowden is one of the top closers in the biz.

Attendance for the last home game at Clemson at which Bowden was head coach: 81,500 (the 17-6 loss to Maryland on Sept. 27). The Tigers' home attendance average for 2007, Bowden's last full season: 81,335.

People forget how lonely it got in the upper decks at Death Valley pre-Bowden. When West's 1998 Tigers lost a Thursday night home game to Georgia Tech to fall to 2-8, the announced crowd was 62,000. It was the third home crowd that season of 62,000 or less.

Making matters worse, Jim Phillips, the late and usually mistake-free radio Voice of the Tigers, reminded listeners to stick around for the "Danny Ford postgame show."

West was fired the next week.

Of course, the beef with Bowden is that he righted the ship five years ago and then went very stagnant. Truly, it's hard to finish either 4-4 or 5-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference seven seasons in a row (and again this year).

But at least he went quietly, unlike Hatfield who had to follow Ford's .760 winning percentage, and upon dismissal at 32-13-1 (.707), wagged his finger during a news conference and said, "Shame on you," to Clemson fans he considered disloyal.

Auburn comparison

Sure, Bowden got his $3.5 million settlement, which buys a lot of gleeful cooperation.

But while going 4-2 as "interim" head coach, Swinney says he got frequent encouragement from Bowden.

"This will give you a shot," Bowden told Swinney the day Bowden "resigned."

Yes, it's OK to like Tommy Bowden now.

Nine-plus seasons of bowl eligibility, 7-2 against South Carolina, a class act, and Dabo, a walk-on wide receiver when Bowden was a wide receivers coach at Alabama. Even more impressive, Bowden found his eventual replacement not at Alabama or Troy or Toledo, but in a commercial real estate office. Swinney was sitting there piecing together shopping mall deals.

Terry Don Phillips, the athletic director who adroitly managed this transfer of power, said Bowden on the day he resigned suggested Swinney take over; Phillips had Swinney in mind all along, but implying Bowden had any bit of input in the decision is an odd but nice show of respect.

Peaceful transitions with happy Florida endings just don't happen all the time, you know.

Check with an Auburn fan.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/dec/17/now_its_ok_like_bowden65275/

As an aside . . .

Dec 17, 2008, 8:21 AM

The writer referred to Jim Phillips as usually mistake free. Ha!, I loved Jim, but toward the end you could not trust anything he said on the radio. He would say "its 1st and ten, and the handoff goes to the tailback up the middle for 7 yards to the 35 yard line." Then he would talk about the tailback's mother's fried chicken recipe. When he finally got back to the game he would say "its second down and 8 from the 30 yard line." I think Pete is a better play by play guy. Still, miss hearing Jim's voice on game day.

it's ok to like Bowden

Dec 17, 2008, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Here is something about Bowden in the Charleston paper ]

and STILL assess habits or character traits.

the man did good things.

passing up opportunities to pad his contracts/pockets was not one of them.

hate on humpers.

he did everything to make his position more stable...

Dec 17, 2008, 9:06 AM

which is different.
In '03 he took no raise, but more years and a huge buyout. Which, by the way, was reciprocal. If he had wanted to leave he would have had to pay the same amount.

When his contract was renegotiated at the end of last year he took a raise but it still only got him into the top 1/3 of the ACC in terms of salary.

If you're accusing him of wanting to keep his job then we agree; he did everything he could to make that happen. But to look at the facts and come to your conclusion betrays a certain bias against the man.

Skip Probably Didn't Want the Job. I suspect he may take

Dec 17, 2008, 8:10 AM

over at Notre Dame when Weis finally gets fired. That will be Skip's big payday my friends !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Skip Holtz = classier than Tommy Bowden EVER was

Dec 17, 2008, 8:10 AM

YOur life must be awful. The only thing you seem to get excited about, or feel good about, is negative b.s.

I pity you, but wish you'd go somewhere else. YOu pollute this place.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suppose it's pointless..

Dec 17, 2008, 8:11 AM

to bring up that after '03 he didn't ask for a pay raise? Tommy had loyalty and class in spades, he just could quite win championships here.

In any event, he's gone so why bring this up? You make yourself look petty and callow.

Because he's

Dec 17, 2008, 8:18 AM

"a nattering nabob of negativity". As well as, an idiotic member of the lunatic fringe in good standing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it was a smart move. He can probably build

Dec 17, 2008, 8:14 AM

ECU into something. Syracuse may be a little tougher.

STUPID POST***

Dec 17, 2008, 8:18 AM

Speaking of class, kind of a classless post***

Dec 17, 2008, 8:21 AM

Re: Speaking of class, kind of a classless post***no matter

Dec 17, 2008, 8:48 AM

how you turn or twist it.TB was good for Clemson.he left the program in prttey good shape.and when he left,he put CU in what i think in pretty good hands,with saying to atdp that Dabo would do a good job for Clemson.at this point as we look at all TB done for CU.and to sujest to put DABO in the drivers seat,has made a big difference in the playing for the CU football team.in my own opion,TB biggest mistake,was to hire spence as our OC.when RR left,all the biulding blocks came tumbling down.and that was no fault of TB.and when Dabo gets both feet solid on the ground.we are all going to be thankful that TB saw and knew.Dabo has what it takes to take CU into great thing in the futire of clemson foot ball.and i'll surely be one of the first to thank him for not leaving mad as some has.instead,he left us with only what he thought would be the next best coach for the fans and Clemson.that,in my own opion,is what i call CLASS!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bubba, turning down Syracuse is nothing special. That is

Dec 17, 2008, 8:31 AM

almost as "Dead End" as the USUCK job!

Tiger/Terrier

Dec 17, 2008, 8:35 AM

congrats, you are the biggest piece of trash on tigernet. sorry toogie, you have been pssed.

Dec 17, 2008, 8:40 AM

"Daddy, what is that my puppy is rolling over and over in?"
"Don't worry, honey, it's just MacinTiger."

unnecessary****

Dec 17, 2008, 8:46 AM

This post is phail***

Dec 17, 2008, 8:57 AM

Let it go......Tommy Bowden is no longer our coach***

Dec 17, 2008, 9:37 AM

another day another TB insult from you

Dec 17, 2008, 10:02 AM

et tu Benedict Arnold?

LOL- Holtz was smart for not going to SU. He'll get better

Dec 17, 2008, 10:43 AM

offers in the future. If he had asked for more $/contract from ECU they would have insisted on a HIGHER buyout on his end - which he sure as heck doesn't want!! Heck it appears he isn't making much less than CTB was and at ECU at that.

Unbelievable

Dec 17, 2008, 12:56 PM

Alot of us actually do like Skippy, but to trash Tommy
like that is pretty low man.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic