Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Significant Saturday....... (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Significant Saturday....... (long)

Oct 20, 2008, 11:04 AM

As I posted last Thursday, I made a little sacrifice to drive down to the game from Nashville at the last minute. I came because I wanted to be apart of the start of a new era of Clemson football.... whether that being with Dabo, or whoever at the end of season. Whichever way you look at it, it is a new era.

We lost Saturday. Did it hurt? A little... we all wanted to come out on top. However, it was completely different from any game i've seen lately. I was at the Alabama debacle. We laid down. From the beginning of the game, we looked lost. We didn't look like a team. We had no confidence. We didn't even look excited to be there.

Saturday had a new feeling in the air. From the Tiger Walk to the last whistle, Tiger Nation was charged with a new feeling. Some will say with the loss that we didn't see anything different. With all do respect, don't listen to these people. They are wrong. We came out with emotions that I hadn't seen in a long time. They came out looking to make a statement. Did our offense look great? Not really. But what are you going to do with SUCH a young line. They are trying. If you can't block, you're going to rush for only 51 yards...even with James Davis at the helm. Other than a FEW plays, our defense was outstanding. They played the option way better than I expected. And with all that's happened this past week, they should be commended. But what really made me happy was the fact that we didn't lay down like we would have before. We were DOWN 11, and MADE ADJUSTMENTS at the half. When is the last time that happened? We scratched and clawed the entire game. I hadn't seen that in a long time either. A few different calls and maybe one more stop on a 3rd down and we could have walked out on top.... well, 6 turnovers didn't help either....

Walking out of the stadium I could have easily lost my cool and started the blame game again.... but I couldn't. I was happy with what I saw out of the coaches, players, and the fans. Death Valley was exciting again. It had a heartbeat. The players had a heartbeat. It was nothing but a pleasure to be at the start of a new era in Clemson. I had a blast tailgating after the game with my friends. The best thing was, no one was doom and gloom... it felt as if Clemson had won. And, honestly, in a lot of ways, we did. Clemson won something back this Saturday. Pride. Yes, even with a loss. You could see it and feel it.

I don't regret one second spending the money to come down and be apart of this significant day. I firmly believe something special is coming back to Tiger Town. I can't wait to see it all unfold....

Here's to the new era!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

it was DEFINITELY the loudest noon game that I can

Oct 20, 2008, 11:07 AM

remember. :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

That's because I was yelling in your ear the entire game ;)***

Oct 20, 2008, 11:35 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You echoed my thoughts exactly.***

Oct 20, 2008, 11:10 AM

Another change I noticed

Oct 20, 2008, 11:16 AM

I couldn't make it to the game, as I was spending some time visiting my parents. So Dad and I watched the game on the tube. And this is what we saw:

After a Clemson punt, Manners was walking off the field and before he even got to the sideline, Swinney was in his face yelling at him to run back onto the field and sprint to the sideline. Manners, did just that. The lesson - take pride in what you do - everything you do.

I love to win. We all do. But I also love it when I see folks who take pride in what they do, win or lose. Swinney is teaching these kids to take pride and work hard even when no one is watching, even when it might not matter. If I'm honest with myself, I could learn a lesson from Coach Swinney.

Thanks for the clarification - they kept alternating reps

Oct 20, 2008, 11:22 AM

So I couldn't remember which one got chewed up.

The principle remains the same.

i disagree

Oct 20, 2008, 11:21 AM

However, it was completely different from any game i've seen lately.

you are flat out wrong. The only thing diff. was the 3 pt stance, and a new QB atteh start.

Did our offense look great? Not really. But what are you going to do with SUCH a young line. They are trying. If you can't block, you're going to rush for only 51 yards...even with James Davis at the helm.
Funny thing is, that is a constant. You can say the SAME THING about Wake and Maryland in the 2nd half.

All of the sudden the young line is a valid reason instead of an excuse?

We were DOWN 11, and MADE ADJUSTMENTS at the half. When is the last time that happened? We scratched and clawed the entire game.
You mean on the floater Harper threw up that should have been an INT of GT’s CB didn’t pull a hammy?

NOW let me tell YOU exactly what we did see… the stuff that was the SAME.
Short passes, screen passes.
Stupid penalties
WOSRT thing.. A BUT LOAD OF TO’s.

Now I understand Dabo had only 4 days to work with. I am willing to give him more time, but I won’t blow smoke up any 1’s #### on the current state of our program.

We still have a young line and are turning the ball over WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Tell me again

Oct 20, 2008, 11:24 AM

exactly how many WR screens (i.e. bubble and tunnel) that you saw?

I counted 2. One of which was a checkdown audible from Harper and the other went for 30+ yards and a TD for Aaron Kelly.

Point for recognition of proper use of WR screen

Oct 20, 2008, 11:27 AM

When you catch the D in the right formation, it can be devastating. See also FSU game last year where AK went for the TD.

more than 2

Oct 20, 2008, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Tell me again ]

now, tell me how many TO's and short passes YOU SAW

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: more than 2

Oct 20, 2008, 11:30 AM

TO's:

Timeouts: 6 (3 in each half)
Turnovers: 6 (too many to have and still win)
Short Passes: a lot, but when you can't block their DL you can't exactly throw downfield now can you?

And there were only 2 WR screens. Only 1 of which was called by our coaching staff. So no, it wasn't just more of the same from our team. End result, yes, means of getting there, no. The team we played Saturday was better than WF or UMD.

Oct 20, 2008, 11:46 AM

So no, it wasn't just more of the same from our team.

TO's:

Timeouts: 6 (3 in each half) <-- same
Turnovers: 6 (too many to have and still win) <-- same
Short Passes: a lot, but when you can't block their DL you can't exactly throw downfield now can you? <-- same

GT better than Wake or Maryland? That is debatable. I think we beat all 3 if we cut out TO's in half.

This is true...

Oct 20, 2008, 11:51 AM

I agree with the TO's for sure.

But to tell me i'm completely wrong is ridiculous. It's NOT ALL ABOUT X'S and O's. I think we should realize that given what we have to work with right now: a recent coaching change, and offensive coord change, 4 days to implement, and basically a somewhat "lost" season because of not going to ACCCG.

This team NEEDED the INTANGIBLES that happened over the course of the week and on Saturday. I know to win, we have to fix the problems on the field. THAT is coming. But my post was more about the intangibles of saturday.

Re: This is true...

Oct 20, 2008, 11:57 AM

But to tell me i'm completely wrong is ridiculous
which is why i ONLY posted the part i disagreed with.

It's NOT ALL ABOUT X'S and O's. I think we should realize that given what we have to work with right now: a recent coaching change, and offensive coord change, 4 days to implement, and basically a somewhat "lost" season because of not going to ACCCG.

AND what i am telling you it is the SAME stuff we have had to deal with all year. What did us in Sat has done us in all year. TO's and weak Oline play. Those 2 things HAVE not chance. IF we half out TO's we are probably sitting at 1 loss right now with Bowden has HC. If we don;t fix our TO' we WON"t win another game. You just don't win when you give the other team so many extra chances.

The only diff I saw was the intensity form the HC on the sideline.

Well, the bottom line for you is....

Oct 20, 2008, 12:05 PM

that you're NEVER going to be satisfied.

WE KNOW THOSE TWO THINGS DIDN'T MAGICALLY CHANGE ON SATURDAY. GOSH!!!

Saturday was a GREAT day. It was a bit of a bummer losing but i KNOW that the MAJORITY of Tiger Nation was pleased with the EFFORT given by the team. THAT was a huge change. If you can't see that, you are blind.

You're clearly not worth arguing with anymore.

Oct 20, 2008, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: more than 2 ]

Timeouts: 6 (3 in each half) <-- same
Turnovers: 6 (too many to have and still win) <-- same
Short Passes: a lot, but when you can't block their DL you can't exactly throw downfield now can you? <-- same

I assume you think we should leave timeouts on the board and not use them? That'd be change.

Turnover story is what killed us, not horrible playcalling and lack of adjustments. That'd be change too.

Adjusting from your original gameplan and using what the defense is allowing you to take. By God, that's change again!

Your problem is that you want to complain about the weather when the clouds are out and its raining. Then they go away and the sun comes out, but then you complain because the sun's too bright. A cloud covers it up, and then the sky's too blue. During a drought the grass is too brown, and when we get rain, then it's too green.

You seem to be content to complain about everything. There's no magic cure for our team at the point we're at, but if you can honestly say you didn't watch the game Saturday and see anything different...then you didn't watch the game.

A-freakin-men!

Oct 20, 2008, 12:01 PM

If we made horrible play calling then so did GT. how many times did we hit them in the backfield and stop the option?? Those were horrible calls I guess. HAHAHA!

He doesn't realize that every play is NOT going to be a positive one. GEEZ. I thought the play calling was good for the most part.... the only one that really irked me was the 3rd and 12 (or 14?) and we lined up in the I-form and ran a Play Action pass. Didn't think that was very smart considering GT's defensive speed.

At any rate... this guy it nuts. Good reply!

Oct 20, 2008, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: more than 2 ]

I assume you think we should leave timeouts on the board and not use them? That'd be change.

YOU posted TO's as a smart ### comment to my ?. I posted a smart ### reply.

Turnover story is what killed us, not horrible playcalling and lack of adjustments. That'd be change too.
Exactly. ANd if you take away those TO's agiosnt Wake and MArlyand, what do you thnk happens?

I think we are 5-1 heading into GT under Bowden and Spence?

[quote]Your problem is that you want to complain about the weather when the clouds are out and its raining. Then they go away and the sun comes out, but then you complain because the sun's too bright. A cloud covers it up, and then the sky's too blue. During a drought the grass is too brown, and when we get rain, then it's too green.
[/quote]
WRONG. I didn't complain about ANY THING. I posted this TEAM is stil the same TEAM. All the crap that happened before was Bowden's fault NOw all the crap are just bad luck?

[quote]You seem to be content to complain about everything. There's no magic cure for our team at the point we're at, but if you can honestly say you didn't watch the game Saturday and see anything different...then you didn't watch the game. [/quote]
And you aer MISSING the point completely. Same team , same dumb mistakes. BEfore it was all BOwden';s fault. NOW it is some how “different.”

The biggest ??mark was our oline going into the year. W eknew we had talent at skilled positions. Well, our oline was not great and then got hurt. We turn the ball over like crazy. We make stupid mistakes and get big plays called back on penalties. ALL that was blamed on Bowden.

Same stuff happened Sat but it was some how different. I also AMDITTED 4 days was not a significant amount of time to change much of any thing.

Oct 20, 2008, 12:20 PM

YOU posted TO's as a smart ### comment to my ?. I posted a smart ### reply.
Wrong, I didn't know if you were complaining about the time management and when we were taking our timeouts or about the turnovers, so I posted both to reply.

Exactly. ANd if you take away those TO's agiosnt Wake and MArlyand, what do you thnk happens?
Let me say that it was the horrendous playcalling (Wake) and the lack of adjustments (UMD) that cost us those games.

WRONG. I didn't complain about ANY THING. I posted this TEAM is stil the same TEAM. All the crap that happened before was Bowden's fault NOw all the crap are just bad luck?
Sorry, I mistook your unbridled negativity regarding Saturday to be complaining. There was improvement even if you choose not to look at it (i.e. the team playing with fire and passion and not giving up in the 2nd half--which no, that didn't happen under TB. Further, we will look better and probably win against BC--we get time off to actually have a sane couple of weeks and we get some guys back from injury.)

One more similarity

Oct 20, 2008, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: more than 2 ]

Bitching and moaning<----same

The turnovers, I'll give ya. The rest....what did you expect out of this week, for our O-line to suddenly become world-beaters? For us to come out with a completely new playbook and schemes in 4 days? It takes most coaches a couple of seasons to make scheme changes.

These kids went through alot last week, and could have very easily quit. But they didn't. What would we have done if we were in their position? Judging by alot of folks on this board, I think it's safe to say these young men have handled themselves alot better than many of us would.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

From FGF:

"Anyone that believes that Tommy Bowden willingly stepped down from his head coaching duties, please raise your hand. Because I have some nice beach front property in Florida I would love to sell you."

POINT!***

Oct 20, 2008, 12:11 PM

Re: i disagree

Oct 20, 2008, 11:34 AM [ in reply to i disagree ]

YOU- "you are flat out wrong. The only thing diff. was the 3 pt stance, and a new QB atteh start."

I wasn't just talking about X's and O's. You're completely missing the point.

YOU-"All of the sudden the young line is a valid reason instead of an excuse?"

All of a sudden?? It's not sudden. It's a fact. No one said sudden. It's not an EXCUSE. It's a FACT.... when you can't block, you can't rush well. People on here are saying that nothing changed cause we only had 51 yards rushing.

YOU- "You mean on the floater Harper threw up that should have been an INT of GT’s CB didn’t pull a hammy?"

Well, GT wouldn't have scored their last TD if our DB didn't slip and fall. We MADE ADJUSTMENTS. We scored from being down and took the lead. YOU are the cancer that Clemson doesn't need. I'm not here to blow smoke. I stated facts. I don't know what you're blinded by, but I hope it changes soon. We don't need your kind being all negative. What good does it do? NONE.

Oct 20, 2008, 11:52 AM

I wasn't just talking about X's and O's. You're completely missing the point.
YOU think our team was not trying before and now they are. Sure.

All of a sudden?? It's not sudden
YOUmust nothave been reaidng thisbaotrd for the last 2 months.

Well, GT wouldn't have scored their last TD if our DB didn't slip and fall. We MADE ADJUSTMENTS. We scored from being down and took the lead. YOU are the cancer that Clemson doesn't need. I'm not here to blow smoke. I stated facts. I don't know what you're blinded by, but I hope it changes soon. We don't need your kind being all negative. What good does it do? NONE.

NO, you are a #######. I was not being negative, i am also not blowing smoke. THIS TEAM is STILL weak on the Oline (HAS BEEN ALL YEAR ) and worse Turnover happy. THOSE are facts. THOSE 2 things have been our undoing all year. Those 2 things are the SAME now as they where 2 weeks ago.

Oct 20, 2008, 11:57 AM

YOU- "I was not being negative, i am also not blowing smoke. THIS TEAM is STILL weak on the Oline (HAS BEEN ALL YEAR ) and worse Turnover happy. THOSE are facts. THOSE 2 things have been our undoing all year. Those 2 things are the SAME now as they where 2 weeks ago."

Check my post history... clearly have been on here the past 2 months. And yes, you were pointing out negatives to my POSITIVE post. I'm not freaking blind man... our O LINE is NOT good. And I KNOW it hasn't been good since the Bama game. It's not sudden. The Turnovers REALLY hurt. I agree. Tyler had the worst one of them all but you're not calling for his head....

His point is

Oct 20, 2008, 12:24 PM

that despite the leadership change that the product on the field looks pretty much the same as the last 2 losses.

Yet today the majority of this board is looking for the positives rather than focusing on the negatives just because we have someone coaching who shows a little more excitement about the job.

Bottom line is we lost, at home to a mediocre team. We still cannot move the ball on offense. We still give up crucial 3rd and long plays on defense. We still cannot hold a lead in the 4th and we still cannot win a game when given the ball back with time on the clock to respond.

Everyone here today who's happy is happy because Bowden is gone. I'm happy for that as well, but I'm not ready to promote mediocrity just because our head coach has a different name. And that is what we displayed on the football field on Saturday and if you saw anything above a mediocre level of play you are watching with orange glasses.

Re: Significant Saturday....... (long)

Oct 20, 2008, 11:24 AM

Well said

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic