Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
An Alabama fan's perspective on Clemson & CTB...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,001

An Alabama fan's perspective on Clemson & CTB...

Sep 2, 2008, 11:48 AM

First of all, I just want to say that I had a blast in Atlanta meeting some first class Clemson fans in spite of some ya'll's "irrational exuberance" prior to kick off. While I didn't meet a ton of CU fans, the ones I did meet were very pleasant and passionate fans.

In spite of this, I thought I would throw in my $0.02 worth on Clemson and CTB. Not that I am an expert by any means, as a Bama fan, I think we do have experience with hiring/firing coaches.

One thing is for certain...ya'll are gonna find out what kind of coach CTB is this season. If he is capable of proving that our game was a simple anomaly, he can prove his worth. If he lets the season go in the toilet, well, a some changes may need to be made. By changes, I mean new coordinators and other assistants at the minimum.

However, if the ultimate change is made, I would hope CU has very strong leadership at the top...ie AD and University President. I only say this because if the leadership at the top isn't present, well, changing coaches can lead to a snotball of other problems.

While I understand your present frustrations (been there, done that, have the tshirt), looking back at the past 10 years of Alabama football, I would not have minded 10 years of your "stability." Regardless, as with any high profile job, results are more important than those "minor" details like graduating players, running a clean program, and improving existing facilites.

Clemson is a fine university and a high profile job. I also think CU has the ability to be a dominant program in the ACC. Having said that, be careful of what you wish for through all of the internet complaints, talk radio rants, etc. While the desire for better results is natural, all it takes is one bad coachiong hire to set your stable program back 5 years or more.

Anyways, not sure if my thoughts are worth a squirt of #### on a CU board, but just thought i'd share. I hope ya'll re-group and run the table...I really do.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nicely stated. And hats off to Cloy. NFL'er for sure.***

Sep 2, 2008, 11:52 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great post man***

Sep 2, 2008, 11:59 AM

Hey that's a good post, and congrats for

Sep 2, 2008, 12:01 PM

whipping our fannies! (And boy did you!)

People are asking in the wake of this game if Alabama's better than advertised or are we worse. Well, at the very least I'd say for certain Alabama is, and we may be worse too, but how much I guess is the question.

I wouldn't be shocked to see your Tide compete for the West division - though I know that the competition will get much tougher than we provided Saturday. Still, Alabama may surprise some people.

Thanks for your kind comments and I think you're right on. There are repercussions to starting anew, but we're at the end of our rope. TB's done some good things but the things he does wrong are so wrong and so consistently wrong that at some point it just has to change. I hope things get better this year but I think I'd still be doubtful about TB. After the years he's wasted, it'll take more than a one-season flash in the pan to restore my confidence in him!!

Re: Hey that's a good post, and congrats for

Sep 2, 2008, 12:19 PM

As a Tide fan, I was glad to see this thread. Some folks fail to understand that the last decade has restored some perspective to our program. My grandfather tells me the last time that happened to Alabama it was during the mid-50's, so we're hoping history repeats, though it's been very painful since we missed that extra point in overtime against Michigan at the beginning of 2000.

Now, on to "mrmatt's" last sentence - it's prescient.

I do have a close friend that pulls for Tennessee and I recall that, after our last whipping of Fulmer, he was thanking Alabama profusely for finally driving the final nail into Phat Phil's coffin. Unfortunately (at least from his perspective), UT turned it around and Fulmer kept his job. Last night's rotten coaching job out in Pasadena demonstrates the dangers of yet another chance. Who would've thought Kentucky would be making the SEC proud and the Vols would have fans wishing for basketball season?

Signed, Ken Hatfield

Sep 2, 2008, 12:05 PM

We know all too well how one coaching change can set us back.

Great game by the Tide...good luck the rest of the way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

From FGF:

"Anyone that believes that Tommy Bowden willingly stepped down from his head coaching duties, please raise your hand. Because I have some nice beach front property in Florida I would love to sell you."

oh really

Sep 2, 2008, 12:29 PM

Regardless, as with any high profile job, results are more important than those "minor" details like graduating players, running a clean program,

I'm just a lowly fan of an ACC school, but i completely disagree.

We have 1 NC and every time any 1 talks about it, the recruiting violations come up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: oh really

Sep 2, 2008, 12:35 PM

Actually, it's "fans" like you that continue to bring that up. You need to learn to embrace your past successes regardless of current uproar. There will always be haters. Who cares.

Negative. It is opposing fans.***

Sep 2, 2008, 1:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Negative. It is opposing fans.***

Sep 2, 2008, 7:05 PM

Actually, you're wrong and have proved my point. The bama fan was completely kind and supportive, and you were the one with the negative comment.

Good post***

Sep 2, 2008, 12:32 PM

I appreciate your thoughts. Too bad we couldn't at least

Sep 2, 2008, 12:39 PM

give you guys a game. The bright spot for me was not having to sit in agony and then lose a heart-breaker. I'd rather get beat early and relax, drink beer and forget about it. My heart can't take the close ones anymore.

Bama played good old fashion smash mouth football. You have great linemen and we were clearly outclassed in the trenches where it counts. Your kicker is a future NFL guy. Your new additions to the team are clearly why you were ranked #1 in the recruiting rankings. You should compete for the SEC this year ( at least I hope so or we are in deep doo-doo)

Congrats. Don't want to ever play you guys again - and you should take that as a compliment.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,001
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic