Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowden - "The Perfect Coach"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Bowden - "The Perfect Coach"

Jul 15, 2008, 3:13 PM

It's plain to me. Fans here in the midlands can't stand Tommy Bowden and they do everything that they can to disparage his good name. They make up stories and bask in everything negative comment (true or untrue) that anybody makes. They try to explain away his success and convince themselves in the face of all of the progress that he has made since his arrival, that he is Clemson's "show stopper". The very fact that he aggravates the heck out of people who don't like Clemson might be enough by itself to make him the perfect Clemson coach, but there is more. What people who dislike Bowden either don't see or refuse to acknowledge that,

1. Across the country, people are once again talking about Clemson football. That hasn't happened since a fellow named Danny Ford was prowling the sidelines.

2. Under Bowden, Clemson's facilities are once again near the top. That's no small feat for a school as small as Clemson,

3. Because people are talking about Clemson's program, the increased POSITIVE visibility has made Clemson a must-see for most of the region's top players and an increasing number of top national players too,

4. All of the negative energy that they direct towards our program actually helps us and hurts them. If I tell you a certain place is on farm, smells like cows, is boring, is ugly, and flat-out sux, how are you going to feel about me when you find out that,

4.1 "The farm" is actually beautiful rolling hills, trees and manicured green grass,

4.2 The "smells" are actually floral aromas emanating from well-kept flowers and bushes,

4.3 The "boring" is for people who aren't really focused on school anyway. If you can't have enough fun in Clemson or the surrounding areas, you can get to Atlanta or Charlotte (real cities) either way in two hours or less,

4.4 The "ugly" is actually scenic mountains and lakes.

After taking all of that in, you'll probably agree that the flat-out sux was a flat-out lie and you'd probably feel betrayed by the person that lied to you.

I say all of that to say this; as long as Clemson's detractors are talking about Clemson, "Clemson" does not have a problem - THEY DO! So I encourage them to keep putting Bowden down, keep insulting our school, keep ridiculing our traditions and keep spreading rumors, falsehoods, and stereotypes. That way, when people finally do find little ole Clemson, they'll discover for themselves that our detractors lied and are most likely just a jealous bunch of #####.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowden - "The Perfect Coach"

Jul 15, 2008, 3:22 PM

That sure was long. Almost fell asleep. Thank goodness for your conclusion.

Couldn't agree more***

Jul 15, 2008, 3:23 PM

You're Welcome

Jul 15, 2008, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Bowden - "The Perfect Coach" ]

Always willing to lend a helping hand.

I liked the way you ended your post . . .

Jul 15, 2008, 3:25 PM

"a jealous bunch of #####"

hahaha . . . well played. Well played, indeed.

Excellent post!!!

Jul 15, 2008, 3:43 PM

Nevermind some of these detractors.

They'd pissandmoan about the taxes they'd have to pay if they won the Powerball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2008, 3:44 PM

0 ACC Titles in 9 years... "Perfect". Right. Only with some orange-tinted glasses.

What happens if there isn't a rash of injuries this year and he goes a perfect 0 for 10? Until he gets an ACC Title, he's far from perfect.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nothing to see here

Jul 15, 2008, 4:06 PM

if you cant see the progress, you are blind or dont want to see it

Jul 15, 2008, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Bowden - "The Perfect Coach" ]

0 ACC Titles in 9 years... "Perfect". Right. Only with some orange-tinted glasses. What happens if there isn't a rash of injuries this year and he goes a perfect 0 for 10? Until he gets an ACC Title, he's far from perfect.

I heard a famous, former Gamecock player say of the radio today that stats are for losers. Now I don't know about you, but I'll take his word for it. After all, who knows more about losing that Gamecock players and fans? When Clemson hired Bowden, they were looking for someone to lead them back to national prominence again. You may not agree, but Bowden has done that and Clemson is once again considered among college football's elites. You don't have to take my word for it though; just check any reputable poll. You will generally find Clemson near the top, so in that regard, Bowden has been the perfect coach.

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever worked on a project? If you have, then you understand that completing one takes time; it just doesn't happen overnight. So even though Clemson hasn't won the ACC title during Bowden's tenure, most Clemson fans understand that anything worth having is worth waiting for. That's why we've been patient. Fortunately for us it appears that our patience will finally be rewarded. But really, what's the alternative? Hire a succession of failed, worn-out, coaches who built their legendary reputations elsewhere?

Jul 15, 2008, 4:35 PM

Clemson is considered "among college football's elite"? Ha! According to who? You?

Clemson, under Bowden, is anywhere from a 6-9 win team year-in and year-out. Can you argue with that?

I think Bowden has done a good job in building this program, I'm not arguing that... What I am arguing is defining the guy as "perfect". That's just laughable. "Solid" I could go for... "Perfect" is just riduculous. If he were perfect, not every fan and pundit in the country would be anticipating our annual choke this year.

Bowden has put us in a good position... He has not yet gotten over the hump.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2008, 5:27 PM

Clemson is considered "among college football's elite"? Ha! According to who? You?

The AP, ESPN, USA Today, Sportsline, The Sporting News, etc. If you agree that top ten is elite, then the pollsters say that's where Clemson belongs . . . amont college football's elite!

Clemson, under Bowden, is anywhere from a 6-9 win team year-in and year-out. Can you argue with that?

I didn't come here to argue, so I'll have to respectfully decline your challenge.

I think Bowden has done a good job in building this program, I'm not arguing that... What I am arguing is defining the guy as "perfect". That's just laughable. "Solid" I could go for... "Perfect" is just riduculous. If he were perfect, not every fan and pundit in the country would be anticipating our annual choke this year.

It really and truly does not matter what these "fans and pundits" say. Why? Because history proves that no matter who you are or how good you are at what you do, people will always criticize. So if they're like you and are going to criticize anyway, I say let them? That's all they have anyway.

Bowden has put us in a good position...
That's why I called him perfect. It was Bowden who has led Clemson back from the depths of nothingness following the Ford era to where it is today - in the top 10.

He has not yet gotten over the hump.
Again and hopefully for the last time, the man inherited a project. Projects take time.

We are NOT Top 10

Jul 15, 2008, 8:05 PM

Please - Pre-season polls mean nothing. We are number 21 as I recall from last season. There haven't been any games since Auburn so I don't see how we've moved up 11 places in the whole scheme of things.

Let's get at least two ACC games under our belt before we start talking about how we rank.

Re: We are NOT Top 10

Jul 15, 2008, 9:23 PM

Please - Pre-season polls mean nothing. We are number 21 as I recall from last season.

And since that time, most of our key rivals have lost their best players to graduation or exhausted eligibility while we return all but one of our key pieces from last year. Without even considering what was arguably Bowden's best recruiting class to date, can you see how/why so many people think Clemson is top ten worthy? I tell you the truth. Some of our own fans are almost as pessimistic as that feathered bunch down I-26.

There haven't been any games since Auburn so I don't see how we've moved up 11 places in the whole scheme of things.
Well then you obviously weren't paying attention during the offseason.

Let's get at least two ACC games under our belt before we start talking about how we rank.
If that suits you, go for it. As the ancient prophet said, "As a man thinketh, so is he." You can stay stuck on 21. The pollsters say top 10; I'll side with them.

Please do not use the word "our" and "us"

Jul 15, 2008, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Bowden - "The Perfect Coach" ]

This is a Clemson board. If it were a SCU board, "our" and "us" would be acceptable to be used by you...

Jul 15, 2008, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Bowden - "The Perfect Coach" ]

Great point. And look closely at two teams that won ACC titles in that time: FSU, VT. Both of these programs reached their summit only after lengthy rebuilding projects that required patience and diligence. And I needn't remind the folks on this board that FSU and VT were absolutely abysmal in the 70s and 80s respectively - it took B. Bowden and Beamer both about 10 years to get their programs to that elite level. Not only that, but it took several years for Pell and Ford to build Clemson back up in the '70s (no comment on some of the practices employed by Coach Pell).

Rome wasn't built in a day. I'd rather have a strong program built well over time, because those programs tend to get to the top and stay there for years...

^^THIS^^ is what makes DT tolerable!

Jul 15, 2008, 7:43 PM

people thinking outside the box a little!

great post

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic