Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coaches?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1,310

Coaches?

May 27, 2008, 7:22 AM

I know when my son Kyle commited to Clemson, I told him your word is your honor! If you give it then we are done being recruited. You won't talk to other coaches or visit other schools. A few months later Coach Bowden is visiting Arkansas. I was ticked. Then when I called him on it he explained. Some times you have to play the game. You win games, graduate kids, and build a respectable program with good people. Sure you don't get the championships that you want as much as anybody but your body of work speaks for itself. What happens when you don't win as much as people think you should in unforseen circumstances. I guess Coach Leggett is finding out. The man has been to 21 straight NCAA. I would say that he has an idea what he is doing. Yet people on here say heads have to roll. I am glad that my son is at Clemson. It is great place with great people. I am glad that he is playing for men like Tommy Bowden and Jack Leggett. Bottom line is there body of work speaks mounds about the men that they are. So to will the words that some of "fans" post on here. Just my thoughts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank goodness this board is not indicative of most fans...

May 27, 2008, 7:41 AM

Anybody who thinks this (http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/leggett_jack00.html )

should be fired or even re-evaluated even if we went 0-59 has a definite issue with reality. This year was definitely a growing year, but people who think the program is in ruins, need to get a grip.

However, if you hang out here too much, you could get depressed if you do not keep in mind that anonymous posters have no accountability for the drivel they post.

Congratulations on the fine young man you raised. When my family went to the GT game on Mother's Day, Kyle came up to my 6 year old after the game and handed him a ball from his back pocket and signed it.

I continue to be amazed at the talent our athletic programs are attracting (like young men who should still be in HS making the all-ACC team), but I have been even more impressed at the caliber of character we are recruiting. I'd say we have some fine men as coaches on this merit alone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...and, if you think this is bad, hold on for FB season***

May 27, 2008, 8:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coaches?

May 27, 2008, 7:44 AM

MR. P, YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT!! I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT MOST OF THE NEGATIVES ON THIS COME FROM A MINORITY
WHO ARE EITHER YOUNG AND DON'T SEE THE BIG PICTURE OR ARE
POSSIBLY MENTALLY CHALLENGED, AND MOST LIKELY NOT AN IPTAY
MEMBER. WE ARE GLAD YOUR SON, COACH BOWDEN AND COACH LEGGETT ARE ALL TIGERS!

Thanks Mr. Parker, well said!!!***

May 27, 2008, 10:39 AM

"Lou Holtz for Pwesident"

Great advice to your son. Honorable indeed. Still...

May 27, 2008, 8:04 AM

Clemson baseball is a business. Coach Leggett is paid well to produce a top 25 program. We have fallen way down the list of top-tier programs. We are all held accountable. I am and I bet that you are as well. Coach Leggett runs our program like it is his program and it is only fair that he be held accountable and he will be. Nothing wrong with that. You can't demand top money, top facilities, etc. and not expect some serious heat when your program falters as ours has. That is another lesson for Kyle. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. I hope and EXPECT that Jack Leggett will light some fires under some butts including his own. Take care and GO TIGERS!!!

They have had one season that was not up to par. I

May 27, 2008, 8:12 AM

do not think there should be any "serious" heat until this happens more than a once.

also notice, Mr./Mrs. Parker that...

May 27, 2008, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Great advice to your son. Honorable indeed. Still... ]

you used to be able to give a thumbs down rating to a post. Tis why some have like a -82 rating.

I'm a fan, not a cheerleader. The two are not...

May 27, 2008, 8:46 AM

the same. I have no interest in posting fiction to improve a ficticious rating system. I post my honest opinions and nothing else. If you don't like it that's fine by me but here's a fact for you. I told Terry Don Phillips three years ago that our baseball program was going downhill. Well, here we are sitting at home for the first time in 22 seasons.

Well, after a 31-27-1 year you can appear to be quite the...

May 27, 2008, 8:52 AM

baseball guru. I'm not sure that next year will be much better in my personal opinion based on the talent we have returning.

I still don't think it merits a change based on the previous 13 years of results. Now, after the 2010 season, we aren't moving in the right direction, I'll agree with a change.

Sorry for my patience. It is based on previous results. I'm as disappointed as the next "fan" that we did not do better, but I try to hover in the realm of reality.

If that's the case, then you told your AD that just after

May 27, 2008, 9:03 AM [ in reply to I'm a fan, not a cheerleader. The two are not... ]

your team turned around a 15-15 start to make the tourney, and just before that team won it's regional and went to the Baylor super-regional to almost win it.

Then the next year, they were the national number 1 seed that went on to Omaha.

And then last year they returned to the super regionals.

That's pretty good performance in the following three years for a team that was "heading downhill."

Come on coot! Don't mess up a good story about...

May 27, 2008, 9:08 AM

hobnobbing with the AD.

;)

I assure you the idiots on here are not indicative of

May 27, 2008, 8:14 AM

true Clemson fans. We are not happy with the season but no one I know thinks Leggett should be fired. That is absurd.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For those hammerin' Coach Leggett , let's not forget the

May 27, 2008, 8:24 AM

potential impact on this season of the players who left early and the signed recruits who took the minor league money instead of the Clemson experience. Obviously, the coach knows talent but in today's sports world it's hard to hang onto it.

Could you define "left early?"******

May 27, 2008, 8:32 AM

left - verb, pt. and pp. of "leave". early - sooner than...

May 27, 2008, 8:43 AM

expected.

To further explain, 6 drafted juniors who 'left' for minor league contracts and 4 recruits who signed minor league contracts.

Left early...........................

May 27, 2008, 9:02 AM

Good try but incorrect. Leaving as a junior is NOT leaving early nor is it EVER (very rare exceptions) a surprise to the coach.

Prior to a players Junior season Jack has a meeting with each and every junior who might be drafted. At that meeting they are asked if they are drafted do they anticipate going pro or returning. They give ONE of these two answers.

If they say they expect to sign when and if drafted then Jack KNOWS he has their scholarship to go out and spend on recruits. should they change their mind and return anyway, their scholarship is GONE and they will be paying for their senior year on the own nickel.

IF however, they say they are returning then their scholarship remains intact and all is well.

With that said.............LEAVING EARLY is a DUMB term. The coach is given one years notice and has time and money to recruit the players replacement.

When the player had initially walked oncampus the only REASONABLE expectation by the coach is that he has that player for THREE years.

So what TERM would YOU use?***

May 27, 2008, 9:46 AM

No term needed for when they leave as juniors.............

May 27, 2008, 9:55 AM

however the coaches consider it a HUGE bonus when they come back on their own nickel if you need a term for it all

Correct. I didn't need a TERM for it. I was just making a

May 27, 2008, 10:41 AM

statement regarding the players who left early [i.e., before senior season, with eligibility remaining, unexpectedly drafted and left (P.J. Zocchi and JC transfer Kyle Miller), or whatever].

We lost 6-7 would be seniors and had only 2 on roster this year. Look at top teams in the league and they have 4-6 seniors who regularly contribute, discounting Miami who we all know are already paid as professionals.

I give up...wasting my time**********

May 27, 2008, 10:53 AM

You are right on.

May 27, 2008, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Left early........................... ]

Now I am a "coot", so take my analysis with a grain of salt if you want. The problem with this year's team is 2 fold- the players in this season's junior class did not pan out for the most part. Leggett does not recruit Juco players to fill gaps in the short term. You are a young team, but the youth is Jack's fault. He could have gone after Juco's and tried to fill some holes in the lineup, but he stuck with his philosophy on Jucos and it didn't work for him. It may pay off in the longer term or it may not. Tanner gets Jucos and HS players every year and next year he has a lot of incoming Jucos provided they don't sign contracts. It will be interesting to see if Tanner's recruiting strategy keeps the ship on course in what could be a down year for us.

plus... we're young***

May 27, 2008, 8:39 AM [ in reply to For those hammerin' Coach Leggett , let's not forget the ]

Don't forget this year's junior class...

May 27, 2008, 9:40 AM [ in reply to For those hammerin' Coach Leggett , let's not forget the ]

They are basically MIA- very few contributed or are even in school (and they didn't go pro either).

thanks for the post and how is the Alaska project going??***

May 27, 2008, 8:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: thanks for the post and how is the Alaska project going??***

May 27, 2008, 10:42 AM

http://www.thetigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=4747363#4747363

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can we sticky this to show that recruits and their parents

May 27, 2008, 9:16 AM

read this board?

Good post.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

of course, Clemfan counts too

May 27, 2008, 9:17 AM

:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do know he is a former players dad, right?***

May 27, 2008, 11:45 AM

yep. That's why I counted him, in addition to the Parker

May 27, 2008, 11:47 AM

family, and whoever else shows up here.

It won't help. No matter how many times you prove that

May 27, 2008, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Can we sticky this to show that recruits and their parents ]

recruits, players, and players' families read these boards and/or that it effects their mindset, some people will refuse to believe it or cannot accept that this should be anything but their public playground to vent their frustration in counterproductive ways. Why these people can't just get together with their buddies in private if they want to belittle the coaches is beyond me.

null

Most likely reason is....

May 27, 2008, 10:27 AM

The people that know them run every time they see them coming preventing them from sharing their pessimistic views of the world. Who would want to sit and hear the negative venom they spew daily ?

Can we sticky this to show that people posing as recruits

May 27, 2008, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Can we sticky this to show that recruits and their parents ]

and people posing as their parents visit this board?

I know a total of one Div-1 student/athletes (baseball). He said his HS coaches and the colleges that recuited him all said, "Stay away from message boards."

I would hate to think that someone would allow themselves to be affected by the 0.5% of a school's fans who use anonymity as a good reason to post their most negative and hurtful thoughts.

I'm extremely glad your son is playing for JL too

May 27, 2008, 1:12 PM

He was one of the few bright spots this year.

#1 Fan of Clemson Athletic Marketing Team

Re: Coaches?

May 27, 2008, 6:10 PM

I have friends who have sons that play at Clemson and they never read internet message boards because they are filled with things posted by people who don't sign their name and in most cases don't know what they are talking about. I'm not sure if players or player's parents should be in here because of that. If you want to meet some real fans do it in person at games or on campus I think you will find it more consistent with Clemson fans.

I hope your son enjoys Clemson. I look forward to watching him for the next few years.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1,310
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic