Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A little pre-selection prognostication....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

A little pre-selection prognostication....

May 25, 2008, 7:15 AM

...Some of the folks on this boardthat I trust implicitly havetold me in confidence there's no way Clemson makes the NCAA this year. Of course, some of the biggest chuckleheads that troll here have said the same thing.. So, it will disappoint, but not surprise, me to find our guys on the outside looking in after the selection committee has done its work.

That said, I wanted to take one last look to see if my flickering hopes for the 2008 baseball season (and the third-longest active NCAA streak in college baseball!) were prohpetic or just pathetic. So, as best I can determine, here's what we're looking at:

Spots available: 64 (duh!)
Teams aleady in for sure: 20.
Potential automatic berths remaining: 10 ( I think...but close enough for seer saying)

So, with 34 spots remaining, it's time to separate the goats from the sheep. This also is counting on teams like Texas winning the Big 12, so a Kansas State (29-28) doesn't grab a spot, or Marshall or Gardner-Webb or somesuch forcing their conference champ into an at-large spot.

Teams that have every right to be there before us and there will be weeping and wailing and dead babies in the streets if they aren't:

ACC (6 at-large spots): UNC, NC State, GTech, Miami, FSU and Virginia. Either Virginia or Miami will be the champ, so the other 5 take at-large. We're down to 29 spots, and we haven't even left the conference yet!

PAC 10 (3 spots) Arizona State has their automatic. Arizona and Stanford should be gimmes. 27 spots to go.

Conference USA (3 spots): Southern Miss or Houston is in the title game and deserve the at-lareges. Rice is an at-large as well. Keep Marshall from the championship and that leaves us 24 spots.

Big 12 (3 spots): Nebraska, Texas A%M, Texas and Okla. State all have cause to be there. One will take the automatic, unless Kansas State steps in. A bunch of teams with similar records and blemishes to Clemson's in this conference. We're got 21 spots to go.

SEC (4 spots): LSU, Florida, Georgia, (sigh) South Carolina and Vandy are all worthy. One will take the title berth, leaving us with 17 spots.

Big West (1 spot): Either Cal Fullerton or Long Beach State has the title. The other is an at large, leaving us with 15 spots.

West Coast (1 spots): Cal Fullerton and Pepperdine. One's the champ the other's the at-large, leaving 14 spots.

Southern (1 spot) College of Charleston and Elon play for the title today. Look for both in the tourney. Lucky 13 spots remain.

Colonial (1 spot): Usually there's no an at-large from here. But James Madison took the title game, putting UNC-Wilmington in the at-large pool, and Ithink they'll get picked up. Down to a dozen spots.

Big East (1 spot): Lord knows who, beacuse after Louisville its pretty much a grab bag of medicority. But someone else will go because the NCAA needs teams in the East. 11 spots to go, and I'm out of multi-team confrences.

So....an 11-team bubble. Who's our competition for one of those last spots?

ACC: none. Everyone else worth a hoot is going aleready.

Pac-10: UCLA and Cal. The Bruins (31-24) have fewer blemishs, but a lower RPI. That means they're just an average team. Cal's RPI rivals ours, but they have as many blemishes (losing confrence record and bad road roecord especially).

Big 12: Missouri, K State and Baylor. Those Tigers probably have a better argument than our Tigers. But Caylor's season was just as tepid as Clemson's against worst competition. I can't see K State getting past either of them.

SEC: Kentucky, Ole Miss, Bama, Arkansas. All have similar seasons and similar blemishes. Kentucky seems the most likely of the bunch to me, and then it's just up to the vagaries of the committee.

Elsewhere: Dallas Baptist (34-17) is a sexy pick this year. UC Irvine (37-16) is promising, as is traditional power Tulane (37-20). New Orleans (42-18) and Missouri State (40-17) are promising, though they played much weaker schedules.

In the end, the folks who say no way may be right...and if so we'll sink quietly into DT.

But I did wish to note that Clemson, even in its worst season this generation has ever seen, is still a contender for the NCAA tournament....and that's pretty dang good.

God bless ya, come what may, Tigers!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent breakdown Rev.....

May 25, 2008, 7:47 AM

I'd point ONE thing out. Baseball, more than any other sport, tends to rely on history. Clemson has a TON of history. LONG NCAA birth streak, accomplished coach, excellent reputation. I think all of these things weigh heavily in Clemson's favor. I'm not going to be surprised, at all, to see Clemson as a 3 seed some where in the south east.

I'm simply not sure the NCAA is willing to completely turn its back on a program like yours over one less than stellar season.

Oh, and you've got an excellent RPI, that never hurts either.

Message was edited by: Paddyd®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

after all, showing such gross ignorance of another human being simply because of the institution where he or she received his or her degree ranks among the same ignorance of judging a person by the color of hisor skin, judging him or her by nationality, or judging the person by his or her economic upbringing.

while it's certainly honorable to be proud of your alma mater, it's naive and childish to think that every person of another school is "redneck" or "stupid" or "white trash."
- catahoula

You would think that 31 wins against the #1 rated schedule

May 25, 2008, 9:09 AM

in the country might have a bearing, too. I know that RPI includes that but having the single toughest schedule must be worth another vote.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our two biggest blemishes....

May 25, 2008, 9:40 AM

We have a losing road record. Granted we played Miami, FSU and GTech on the road, but we didn't get it done elsewhere on the road.

We had a losing record in confrence. When five team in the conference are also in the nation;s top 10 RPI, that might not hurt as badly as it could, but since we were only won 10 percent of our games against those teams there's a glaring weakness.

In our favor, none or the other bubble teams is especially stellar, either. For the weaknesses this year's team has, they are still as promising a team as most of the mid-tier teams in other conferences.

I guess it'll boil down to whether the NCAA wants to see some fresh faces or reward tradition. I'm hoping for tradition, which would get folks like us, Tulane and Ole Miss in.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Additional three blemishes committee sees....

May 25, 2008, 10:23 AM

Overall record of 31-27-1 with several bubble teams at 40 and up

Record vs competition rated in the Top 50: 9-20

Record vs teams rated 51-100: 14-7-1

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

out of curiosity - I know our schedule was a toughy but

May 25, 2008, 10:13 AM [ in reply to You would think that 31 wins against the #1 rated schedule ]

where do people see it being ranked #1?

Warren Nolan ranks it as #1 / Boyd's World at #42 ?????????****

May 25, 2008, 10:26 AM

Re: You would think that 31 wins against the #1 rated schedule

May 25, 2008, 11:58 AM [ in reply to You would think that 31 wins against the #1 rated schedule ]

Honestly, why does the toughness of the schedule matter if you dont beat anyone 2 wins over G tech and NC Satae and thats it. 0-4 against Miami, 0-3 against unc, 0-3 aginst fsu, 0-4 against south carolina, lost 2 to horrible nc team, 1 to duke, 2 to weak forest, some bad OOC losses. Talking about a tough schedule and losing almost all those tough games makes people look foolish.

You're wrong...

May 25, 2008, 12:38 PM

but that isn't really a surprise. The only "bad" out-of-conference loss was Western Carolina. And that wasn't all that bad. Not knowing your facts makes you look foolish. What do you mean "lost 2 to horrible nc team"?

Not too sharp, are you?***

May 25, 2008, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Re: You would think that 31 wins against the #1 rated schedule ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 games over .500 is not tournament worthy.

May 25, 2008, 9:13 PM [ in reply to You would think that 31 wins against the #1 rated schedule ]

just like in basketball has the 20 win plateau, baseball has the 40 win plateau. we got 31. i don't care if we played the #1 toughest schedule, we couldn't win over the entire course of the season enough to make our resume look like it had more beef than "#1 rated schedule".

also attendance is a factor (although they say it's not)

May 25, 2008, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Excellent breakdown Rev..... ]

putting clemson in a regional with a nearby southern team is a possibility. looking at those available slots I think we could get one of the last spots. I believe those teams from "Other" conferences are shoe-ins as are the SEC teams.

great job rev

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Attendance is NOT a factor

May 25, 2008, 1:42 PM

If we were to make it into the field we are going to be NO WHERE close to the SouthEast going in as a 3 or 4 seed. We would be traveling far, imo

How could Cal Fullerton be Big West and West Coast Champs?

May 25, 2008, 12:53 PM

That should open one more spot, but I still don't think we get in.

Re: A little pre-selection prognostication....

May 25, 2008, 7:06 PM

Good job. Hope you got that Sunday night sermon done ok.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Where were you this weekend?***

May 25, 2008, 9:30 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic