Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
May 06, 1998 - 10 years gone
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,326

May 06, 1998 - 10 years gone

May 6, 2008, 11:58 AM

I was born a Clemson Tiger. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting in Death Valley and watching football with my family. My Dad is a Clemson man and my sister went to Clemson as well, so in the early 90s when I was graduating from high school there was really no question where I was headed.

And so in August of 93 I was lucky enough to finally be attending Clemson.

I can remember Johnstone smelling like heck, but not caring. I can remember a complete lack of AC for 2 weeks that first month. I don't know if I've ever been hotter. I can remember my first "first Friday" and in fact I still have the horribly thin T-shirt they handed out for the first game. And that game... I can remember sitting on the hill for the first time and being a part of a lightning delay. We slid up and down on that hill in the pouring rain while waiting for us to get back to barely beating a UNLV team we should've crushed.

The years passed. I co-op'd up in RTP every other Semester, but drove back to Clemson every weekend in order to be there as much as possible. I remember ignoring due dates for projects until the last possible minute and then staying up 24 hours and finishing them. I spent many a night studying at the American Waffle. I went 3 Summers in a row in a car with no Air conditioning... a car which could barely make it up the hill by Earle. I was passed on the hill almost daily as I crept up it hoping my car wouldn't stall again. I remember walking campus daily, and only later realizing, when I was locked behind a desk at work, how good I had it back on campus. I remember barely passing courses until I found who I was and learned what I really wanted to do. I remember Thursday night Chemistry tests, and Friday morning 6AM postings of the grades. I remember finally realizing Clemson had *changed* me when I actually accidentally grew up a bit into someone capable of handling actual work. I remember friends I didn't deserve, and, no doubt, enemies I did. I wasn't a big partier, but I remember sitting on my porch with a few friends and learning how good a cigar could really be.

Then I remember May 06, 1998. Walking across the stage, hearing my name called, seeing my Dad cry (I defy anyone to not get a little broken up when you see a military man get emotional). I remember the roar of the final words of the ceremony. I remember the friends taking pictures afterwards. I remember that day so clearly.

And then, life happened.

I got a job in DC. Some good things happened, and some bad. I got married (good), I got fired (bad). I spent a good it of time trying (and failing) at starting my own business, but I learned who I was through it.

And all along the way Clemson was there. Not just sports, but my Clemson friends and family. When we were part of a small church plant in Charlotte I met a number of Clemson people who automatically became fast friends (RevMark I'm looking at ya). This has happened a million times over. I've had folks from Tigernet help me with reccomendations on everything from where to live in a new city to where to eat. Clemson Tigers helping Clemson Tigers, all because of a common bond.

And so, thank you Clemson. Thank you for all of this (and a thousand more things). 10 years gone from Clemson, and yet not day apart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

25 years gone...

May 6, 2008, 12:21 PM

...and my oldest son just completed his first year at Clemson. I'm jealous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice rendering. Thanks for sharing the memories***

May 6, 2008, 12:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never felt old until today

May 6, 2008, 2:57 PM

10 years out of high school no problem. 10 years out of college...wow.

05/06/1998, morning gradation session.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 1995

May 6, 2008, 3:05 PM

Simultaneously one of the best and worst days of my life. I don't think I've ever been so heartbroken as I was watching Clemson disappear in my rear view mirror.

I hope to be back one day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,326
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic